The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

5 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

True.  It has been an odd year for us that way lol.  Usually D injuries have hit us hard by now...

...knock on wood!

I wonder what the statistics are for is playing and finishing a game with only 5 d men. I think we would lead the league in that category.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Haha 3

On 12/24/2019 at 10:30 AM, WeneedLumme said:

He is currently being used as a shutdown Dman, leading his team in ice time while also leading his team's D in plus minus. Can you explain why you would state "he isn't that now" ? Because I see no facts at all that support your position.

Just like most players it's going to take time to adapt. I would guess it's going to take him an entire year like last time in order to get up to NHL speed. Not to mention the team is much better now so it's not going to be risk free like last time where we afford to let him learn on the job.

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Just like most players it's going to take time to adapt. I would guess it's going to take him an entire year like last time in order to get up to NHL speed. Not to mention the team is much better now so it's not going to be risk free like last time where we afford to let him learn on the job.

It takes time to adapt to things one has not experienced before. That is not the case here. You can guess whatever you like, but I see no reason, nor have you presented any, why it would take him a year to adapt to something he is already familiar with.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

It takes time to adapt to things one has not experienced before. That is not the case here. You can guess whatever you like, but I see no reason, nor have you presented any, why it would take him a year to adapt to something he is already familiar with.

I think he would need to readjust from the WD era to the Green era assuming there are differences in approach. There are new players now and simply adjusting to being here. I agree that it shouldn't take as long though because he should have a better idea of what to expect here outside of the rink and hopefully be more prepared this time around, so he can focus on his game. I don't think he will have the conditioning issue like he did last time as well, but I expect a gradual minute progression before he becomes a top 4 (assuming he gets there).

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I think he would need to readjust from the WD era to the Green era assuming there are differences in approach. There are new players now and simply adjusting to being here. I agree that it shouldn't take as long though because he should have a better idea of what to expect here outside of the rink and hopefully be more prepared this time around, so he can focus on his game. I don't think he will have the conditioning issue like he did last time as well, but I expect a gradual minute progression before he becomes a top 4 (assuming he gets there).

Sure there are adjustments to be made when moving to a new team/coach, but there is obviously no massive adjustment to be made due to the league, since the KHL has been changing to be more like the NHL (specifically ice size) and he already has a full year's experience in the NHL.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

More then a year of experience! 
Tryamkin will be fine if/when he signs back with us. 

I still don’t see the cap space for us to sign him through. 
3 mil/season is a conservative estimate for his salary. We don’t have any room going into next season. 

22 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

More then a year of experience! 
Tryamkin will be fine if/when he signs back with us. 

I still don’t see the cap space for us to sign him through. 
3 mil/season is a conservative estimate for his salary. We don’t have any room going into next season. 

If Tryamkin takes Tanev's spot and Rafferty takes Stecher's spot there is plenty of room.  I know some people think we are going to re-sign Tanev but I doubt that will happen if Tryamkin comes back and signs a long term deal.  Also, Ferland may stay on LTIR, giving us an extra $3.5 million.  And who knows, maybe Benning has a side deal where Loui retires.  But in any event, without Tanev, Stecher (most likely traded), Schaller and Leivo we can re-sign Gaudette, Virtanen, Markstrom and bring in Tryamkin and Rafferty.  I doubt Benning goes after any UFA's next summer though.  I think we will be focused on integrating our youth into the lineup.  Hoglander could be another one to make the big club.  And there is Kole Lind.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

Sure there are adjustments to be made when moving to a new team/coach, but there is obviously no massive adjustment to be made due to the league, since the KHL has been changing to be more like the NHL (specifically ice size) and he already has a full year's experience in the NHL.

Guys,  guys,  guys,  ....  it was right under our noses all along and we didn’t see it?.?....  

Travis Green is from Castlegar,     there MUST be Borscht in his belly and Doukhobor in his veins . B)

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

I would say the NHL is extremely difficult. I don't feel that it's something you can leave for 2 years and just jump in like you never left. I would be happy to be wrong but I just think it's going to be a stretch to think he can just just jump back into the NHL. I guess I read it differently than most. I thought he made great strides by the end of the year but thought he had some serious struggles on the way. He's going to have to relearn some things, including playing for a new coach, with new teammates in a far different Canucks teams.

Watched today's game. One really good hit by Try. When he hits it looks like he's not really trying. He  slammed  his guy into the boards the guy bounced off (similar to his Pirri hit against Anaheim) then as they continued the guy haphazardly gets in Tryamkins way again and he gets shoved down to the ice, ragdoll style.

I don't think it will take Tryamkin long to adjust, especially the hitting part.

They lost 4-3 in OT.  I don't think Tryamkin was on the ice for any goals against.

I hope they miss the playoffs and then he's available right away.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 4

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Watched today's game. One really good hit by Try. When he hits it looks like he's not really trying. He  slammed  his guy into the boards the guy bounced off (similar to his Pirri hit against Anaheim) then as they continued the guy haphazardly gets in Tryamkins way again and he gets shoved down to the ice, ragdoll style.

I don't think it will take Tryamkin long to adjust, especially the hitting part.

They lost 4-3 in OT.  I don't think Tryamkin was on the ice for any goals against.

I hope the miss the playoffs and then he's available right away.

He might just have some trouble adjusting to the retribution that always follows throwing a big hit in today's NHL.  He should be able to handle himself against most players, but it will be interesting to see what happens when Reaves, Wilson or even Chara comes after him to 'avenge' a hit thrown on one of their teammates.  I'm not sure if his size advantage will be enough to overcome their fistic experience advantage.  And if he does get beaten in a fight, how will he respond? Will he stop throwing hits?

5 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

He might just have some trouble adjusting to the retribution that always follows throwing a big hit in today's NHL.  He should be able to handle himself against most players, but it will be interesting to see what happens when Reaves, Wilson or even Chara comes after him to 'avenge' a hit thrown on one of their teammates.  I'm not sure if his size advantage will be enough to overcome their fistic experience advantage.  And if he does get beaten in a fight, how will he respond? Will he stop throwing hits?

On the other hand, perhaps it would nice to have a guy that could possibly match up against a Reaves or Wilson, so they don't take liberties on us. Wilson is a dirtier player and Reaves is probably the best fighter in the game, but we don't have anyone close that can match up to them now.

7 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

I would say the NHL is extremely difficult. I don't feel that it's something you can leave for 2 years and just jump in like you never left. I would be happy to be wrong but I just think it's going to be a stretch to think he can just just jump back into the NHL. I guess I read it differently than most. I thought he made great strides by the end of the year but thought he had some serious struggles on the way. He's going to have to relearn some things, including playing for a new coach, with new teammates in a far different Canucks teams.

Players jump into the NHL all the time from various leagues and perform well. There will be an adjustment period, but it won't be as long as his first time around.

15 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Guys,  guys,  guys,  ....  it was right under our noses all along and we didn’t see it?.?....  

Travis Green is from Castlegar,     there MUST be Borscht in his belly and Doukhobor in his veins . B)

Nope, Travis didn't sing in the Doukhobor choir or play for the Rebels. He did play for the Jr. SmokeEaters who had a number of the World Champion SmokeEaters involved with the team. The Rebels had a young kid named Chernoff, if memory serves, who was an incredible talent. One of those stories where his talented far exceded his ability to overcome personal problems. Travis had a lot of support and good family.   

• Cheers 3