The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I can't imagine JB wanting to go through the Tryamkin soap opera by signing him to a one year deal.  I can't imagine anything less than a three year deal.

I doubt he signs him to any long deal without seeing him at the NHL level first. Might end up giving him a contract he is not worth. We can’t really afford that. Wouldn’t be the smartest move IMO

Also I doubt Tryamkin wants to signs more than 1 maybe 2 years. After he comes back he’ll likely make a decision on whether he’s staying after a season. After that a longer term deal would be a lot more doable, especially given that we’ll have a lot more cap coming in with Luo, Loui and others off the books. 

A short show-me and feel it out contract. It works for both sides. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog

4 hours ago, smokes said:

Would love to have Tryamkin back but question is who goes down and is he expansion draft eligible?

I thought this was discussed a few months back Smokes,  to my recollection, Tryamkin may possibly be exempt from the Expansion.

someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

I found this for D man eligibility , this is a minimum requirement to eligibility:

* One defenseman who is:

a) under contract in 2021-22 and

b) played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

And This:

* All first- and second-year NHL players, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits.

possible loopholes for Nik?

Edited by SilentSam

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I doubt he signs him to any long deal without seeing him at the NHL level first. Might end up giving him a contract he is not worth. We can’t really afford that. Wouldn’t be the smartest move IMO

Also I doubt Tryamkin wants to signs more than 1 maybe 2 years. After he comes back he’ll likely make a decision on whether he’s staying after a season. After that a longer term deal would be a lot more doable, especially given that we’ll have a lot more cap coming in with Luo, Loui and others off the books. 

A short show-me and feel it out contract. It works for both sides. 

I honestly don't think JB goes for that after the last Tryamkin drama.......he's going to want a commitment from Try.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

If Tryamkin comes in and plays like he does in the KHL or even like he did in his first stint he will be protected.  He’s a unique talent that you just can’t find or draft.  Chara, Myers types don’t grow on trees (pun intended ::D).

As much as he is a fan favourite Stecher is the one that likely gets exposed in expansion if Tree comes back.

True and I love Stech too for his work ethic and steady play.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

Guys, Nikita is definitely coming to Vancouver this year. Just look at the events with him in Avto this season:

- End of exhibition games - Tryamkin was assistant captain and playing large minutes.

- First regular game - Tryamkin with no A on his chest and playing on the third pair of defence.

- I think sometime in those 3-4 days in between, Tryamkin was approached by the team management about extending his KHL contract and he declined it.

- Next 2 months Tryamkin played limited time and Avto was loosing games.

- Then the team bosses had no choice but to play Nikita more and more to avoid missing playoffs.

- Tryamkin has never been mentioned in interview with the Avto head coach this season and Nikita does not have interviews with the local media anymore, Nikita was not selected for the KHL AllStar games, the club does not clearly see him in Yekaterinburg next season...

Yes. And little to no PP time. Plus switching to 8 man roster on D. And it's probably the coaches that have him on a stay-at-home defensive style. He rarely rushes the puck. I also remember around the same time you mentioned,  I did not see him in the locker room celebrations after the games he was sat out in, I'm sure that they were applying the guilt trips. But he gave his hometown 3 cheap years and last year was their year to win it all but they couldn't close the deal. Their forwards were too small and got over powered in the second round.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

I thought this was discussed a few months back Smokes,  to my recollection, Tryamkin may possibly be exempt from the Expansion.

someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

I found this for D man eligibility , this is a minimum requirement to eligibility:

* One defenseman who is:

a) under contract in 2021-22 and

b) played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

And This:

* All first- and second-year NHL players, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits.

possible loopholes for Nik?

He should be under contract or will be an RFA at least. He likely plays next season, so I imagine he hits the games marks. If he doesn't play this season then maybe he's considered as only a 2nd year pro, but the assumption is he plays this season which makes him a 3 year pro by the time expansion rolls around.

We protect OJ, Tryamkin and there isn't really anyone else anyway. Myers maybe, but we can expose him if we choose so which could be cap relief for us, although he has a bonus structure that forces Seattle to pay him a bonus immediately, so I guess it depends if that scares them off and sort of self protects himself. Maybe Stecher, but it would be a minor loss if he's all we lose. Maybe Tanev if we extend him, but can't see us affording it. So it also opens up the possibility of making a FA splash/trade that we can protect that asset.

• Upvote 4

Guys, Nikita is definitely coming to Vancouver this year. Just look at the events with him in Avto this season:

- End of exhibition games - Tryamkin was assistant captain and playing large minutes.

- First regular game - Tryamkin with no A on his chest and playing on the third pair of defence.

- I think sometime in those 3-4 days in between, Tryamkin was approached by the team management about extending his KHL contract and he declined it.

- Then the team bosses had no choice but to play Nikita more and more to avoid missing playoffs.

- Tryamkin has never been mentioned in interview with the Avto head coach this season and Nikita does not have interviews with the local media anymore, Nikita was not selected for the KHL AllStar games, the club does not clearly see him in Yekaterinburg next season...

But I thought they stripped his A and lowered his ice time because he sucked. Now he's avoiding the media? What a primadonna. :ph34r:

• Haha 2

Not to mention that we've heard there's good communication between the Canucks and his agent, it certainly does appear that the team is trying to bring him back.

• Cheers 3

This thread is become funny to me ....if you know this team and know the way its coached  theres no way green is gonna trust him if your thinking hes coming back this season 

were on a run and everyone knows the systems and the fact that hes just a depth D in even the KHL should prove it 

5 hours ago, Topcheeze86 said:

This thread is become funny to me ....if you know this team and know the way its coached  theres no way green is gonna trust him if your thinking hes coming back this season 

were on a run and everyone knows the systems and the fact that hes just a depth D in even the KHL should prove it 

So the Dman who leads your team in ice time is known as the depth D in the KHL? Good to know. On this side of the pond the term "depth D" has a different meaning.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Topcheeze86 said:

We weren’t on a run 2 weeks ago.  That will happen again.  Tanev and Edler are healthy again,. Which only means they’re going to get injured.  Green and Tryamkin apparently have a good relationship, something that NT says in an interveiw a couple of year# ago.. and it doesn’t hurt that Benning wants him back. He is playing 22 mins a night in the KHL.

if anyone at all knows hockey..  you know that anything can happen.. 

9 hours ago, Topcheeze86 said:

I tend to agree, if we bring him over and we end up sitting him in the press box I can't see him being happy and would lead me to believe he would want out. Not saying we should gift him a top 4 spot, but he should get inserted onto the bottom pair if he comes over. Let him get a week or 2 of practices under his belt, then play him and see what we have in big T.

If we bring him over we have to give him ice time or it will be a lost cause imo. Can't see a guy coming over then sitting or being asked to go to Utica and being happy about it. Have to remember, Russians tend to have a sense of entitlement when they come over as they can just flee back "home" if they don't get what they want.

I hope we give him a proper chance, but in doing so we need to move Fantenberg or Benn out to make room for him. Would like to see him start off on the 3rd pair with Stecher, maybe work his way up down the road

5 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Green and Tryamkin apparently have a good relationship, something that NT says in an interveiw a couple of year# ago..

Yeah I remember that Travis Green (Utica coach at that time) was running the prospect development camp right after the draft where Tryamkin was selected by Canucks. And Tryamkin did participate in the camp with his famous "run" to Grouse Mountain...

• Like 2