The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

5 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

He stopped skating giving up a scoring chance.  He's faster that that. He's smarter usually than getting caught flat footed. I've been thinking they should manage his minutes rather than riding him like a true vet.

Players have off nights and make mistakes. He may be tired, but as others have mentioned, it was 3 games in 4 nights and the entire team didn't look sharp. Hughes will be fine. I did say that we could manage his minutes in game, but we have to make games out of reach to do so.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

3 games, 4 days, 2 mid day games

Bruins are fast, hit and close gaps fast

And as you said the whole team didn't look sharp

No one to single out for blame, eat the loss, learn and move on

What do you think playoff hockey is like ?

Bruins Capitals Knights Blues  and others every 2nd night.

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Players have off nights and make mistakes. He may be tired, but as others have mentioned, it was 3 games in 4 nights and the entire team didn't look sharp. Hughes will be fine. I did say that we could manage his minutes in game, but we have to make games out of reach to do so.

Bruins Capitals Blues Knights Avalanche

Tactical play to punish a body every 2nd knight til your off the board or out of the game.

Petey is left alone still.. he’s going to get hammered...

Posters here like yourself have Rose coloured glasses on.   Going to need dark sunglasses in a 2ndround.

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

What do you think playoff hockey is like ?

Bruins Capitals Knights Blues  and others every 2nd night.

What exactly  is your point?  I'm not understanding you, I'm not arguing with you, just stating simple facts

Oh hey bye the way teams don't play 3 playoff games in 4 nights in the playoffs silent

We lost to a better team, we move on right?

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Theo, silent is on a crusade for some reason. He's right, we are wrong, nough said, not worth my ouzo headache  to deal with a  chump like that

Cheers buddy

Go Canucks go 

Big win against Minnesota 

50 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Bruins Capitals Blues Knights Avalanche

Tactical play to punish a body every 2nd knight til your off the board or out of the game.

Petey is left alone still.. he’s going to get hammered...

Posters here like yourself have Rose coloured glasses on.   Going to need dark sunglasses in a 2ndround.

4-2-3 record against those teams this season. If the argument is those teams haven't been playing playoff style hockey, well perhaps we haven't been either. We won't know until we get there.

I'm not sure what's so rose coloured about what I'm saying. I never said we will win the Cup. I've been saying that I want to give ourselves the best team moving forward for development of our young players no matter where we finish.

I didn't expect to be where we are right now at the start of the season, they are ahead of my projection. It's reason for optimism. You want to suggest we have no chance and that's your opinion, but I guarantee that the players and management aren't going in with that mentality. Especially if they roll into the playoffs with confidence and not back in by downgrading the team. We could sit players out and rest them, that isn't going to stop the opposition from trying to play physical against us. The playoffs will be a learning experience and to see where our team stands. If we don't win, then we adjust accordingly.

18 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Theo, silent is on a crusade for some reason. He's right, we are wrong, nough said, not worth my ouzo headache  to deal with a  chump like that

Cheers buddy

Go Canucks go 

Which is odd, because he seems to be on the same boat of adding Tryamkin and he's seems as excited as I am for his potential return, but because I differ in opinion about whether I feel Tanev should be moved or not and suddenly it's become personal. All of a sudden I'm some "rose coloured" fan because I don't share the same opinion. I think adding Tryamkin to this present group would be an improvement to a team already rolling and would help our chances down the road, but he has written this team off and thinks we might as well not even try. Everyone thought Tampa would walk their way to a Cup last year and were swept. There's a reason why we play the games.

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

What exactly  is your point?  I'm not understanding you, I'm not arguing with you, just stating simple facts

Oh hey bye the way teams don't play 3 playoff games in 4 nights in the playoffs silent

We lost to a better team, we move on right?

Playoffs..  I thought I.. / we are talking playoffs here... what the depth of our team should look like..  brittleness/ strength.

Move on from players whose past only gives us 50% of a possible 100% of games played a season.. 

bolster for stronger more physical playoff hockey.

one game Is Boston is nothing compared to going 7 games in 14 days with them.. or others

38 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Cheers buddy

Go Canucks go 

17 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Which is odd, because he seems to be on the same boat of adding Tryamkin and he's seems as excited as I am for his potential return, but because I differ in opinion about whether I feel Tanev should be moved or not and suddenly it's become personal. All of a sudden I'm some "rose coloured" fan because I don't share the same opinion. I think adding Tryamkin to this present group would be an improvement to a team already rolling and would help our chances down the road, but he has written this team off and thinks we might as well not even try. Everyone thought Tampa would walk their way to a Cup last year and were swept. There's a reason why we play the games.

Guys,.  Don’t get me wrong..  all of this started, at least I thought,.  By me wanting to move Tanev while we can get something for him if we know Tryamkin would be back once his season is finished in the K.. regardless of regular, or playoff play..  and or knowing that OJ, Rathbone , Chatfield, Sautner and Breisboius were available as well.

I would rather get something for CT now, than take him into the playoffs to lose next season.

CT is not going to make a difference.

To sign him next season starts to plug the farm like LE has done this past 2 seasons.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Guys,.  Don’t get me wrong..  all of this started, at least I thought,.  By me wanting to move Tanev while we can get something for him if we know Tryamkin would be back once his season is finished in the K.. regardless of regular, or playoff play..  and or knowing that OJ, Rathbone , Chatfield, Sautner and Breisboius were available as well.

I would rather get something for CT now, than take him into the playoffs to lose next season.

CT is not going to make a difference.

To sign him next season starts to plug the farm like LE has done this past 2 seasons.

And that's simply a difference in opinion on the value of Tanev heading into the playoffs. I feel he will help our group development no matter how we finish. Adding Tryamkin while still having Tanev only improves our team/chances. Tanev is currently a top 4 dman, something that we made an effort to add to when we added Myers because we knew it was a weakness.

I have mentioned I am comfortable letting him walk and have the mentality that if he does that I will see him as a rental (that most teams make going into the playoffs) but instead he doesn't cost us assets to acquire. I haven't decided yet or made an opinion on how I feel towards re-signing him. I have a feeling we won't be able to afford to keep him and I am hoping Tryamkin could take over Tanev's duties, but I also don't expect him to walk late into a season/playoff drive and have him take over immediately. I want us to have the best playoff experience as possible regardless of where we finish and Tanev contributes towards that.

I agree with your sentiment in giving some players some opportunities, but I'd move Stecher in this case. But Stecher has also been a fine contributor this year, I think he deserves a chance to showcase himself in a playoff setting.

11 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

And that's simply a difference in opinion on the value of Tanev heading into the playoffs. I feel he will help our group development no matter how we finish. Adding Tryamkin while still having Tanev only improves our team/chances. Tanev is currently a top 4 dman, something that we made an effort to add to when we added Myers because we knew it was a weakness.

I have mentioned I am comfortable letting him walk and have the mentality that if he does that I will see him as a rental (that most teams make going into the playoffs) but instead he doesn't cost us assets to acquire. I haven't decided yet or made an opinion on how I feel towards re-signing him. I have a feeling we won't be able to afford to keep him and I am hoping Tryamkin could take over Tanev's duties, but I also don't expect him to walk late into a season/playoff drive and have him take over immediately. I want us to have the best playoff experience as possible regardless of where we finish and Tanev contributes towards that.

I agree with your sentiment in giving some players some opportunities, but I'd move Stecher in this case. But Stecher has also been a fine contributor this year, I think he deserves a chance to showcase himself in a playoff setting.

Bottom line for me is we are parking the rebuild and development by not have moving Tanev already,  and of course moving Eriksson down to Utica.

For me, it’s not about this years playoffs,  it’s still about bringing the deserved prospect in to get their development.

MacEwan should have 12 games with us already this season.

and Bailey needs a new shot here.

im looking forward to Tryamkins return, but it’s the face of his, OJ, Rathbone, Breezer, and others that I want I see more now,. Than next season.

Get something for Tanev, and grab back a bit of what we gave for J.T..   that’s supplemental, to a true farm system.

This is about next season..  not this one.

We are not winning a cup this year.

but we should get 2 rounds of development.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Bottom line for me is we are parking the rebuild and development by not have moving Tanev already,  and of course moving Eriksson down to Utica.

For me, it’s not about this years playoffs,  it’s still about bringing the deserved prospect in to get their development.

im looking forward to Tryamkins return, but it’s the face of his, OJ, Rathbone, Breezer, and others that I want I see more now,. Than next season.

Get something for Tanev, and grab back a bit of what we gave for J.T..   that’s supplemental, to a true farm system.

I disagree that it's parking the rebuild and especially development. Our prospect pool is deep and there's only so many developmental spots. We don't want to water it down. At some point we won't be replacing players with young players as rapidly as spots get taken. Tanev is not holding anyone back, he is contributing towards our success. LE is a different scenario, he is currently contributing now. Those young players had the opportunity in camp to knock him out. Baertschi was knocked out by Gaudette (and yet people were upset about this as well), so it's not like it wasn't possible.

OJ has just returned this year from a major injury. It bodes well for him to be getting the ice time in the AHL. Brisebois is being held back by Fantenberg and Benn, not Tanev. Same with Rathbone and he's still a ways away from being able to sign with us anyway.

The difference is I think having Tanev actually does contribute to next season even if he isn't here after season's end. I find that to be value as much as a lottery ticket that may or may not work and could be years away anyway. Some GMs need to draft by volume, but Benning seems to target his players and has a plan to develop them (drafting for character because he knows those players are likely to put in the work). The team has been on a nice run of late and once again has improved year after year. I find it hard to argue against our overall direction right now (as opposed to microscoping every negative detail that can exist with any team if looked at closely enough).

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

That sends the absolute wrong message to the entire team.  

There is no way in hell we move Tanev this year unless we lose 10 games in a row and drop out of the playoff picture.  It also makes no sense in the real world.  

How do you think that conversation would go over in the locker room? That would poison the chemistry faster then anything else I can think of.

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

That sends the absolute wrong message to the entire team.  

There is no way in hell we move Tanev this year unless we lose 10 games in a row and drop out of the playoff picture.  It also makes no sense in the real world.  

How do you think that conversation would go over in the locker room? That would poison the chemistry faster then anything else I can think of.

I don’t beleive that for one minute..

it’s the trade deadline..   stuff happens..

it’s not lessening any chances of a cup, because we will not win a cup this year Habs.

Freak of nature if we do.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

it’s not lessening any chances of a cup, because we will not win a cup this year Habs.

The team may still be in the race  to earn a playoff spot by TD.  Pretty sure big Jim wants them in the playoffs to get some experience.  I guess we'll see if the GM trusts Tryamkin, Rafferty and the other Utica Dmen enough to replace Tanev and/or Stecher.

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, SilentSam said:

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-sign-freak-russian-defenceman-nikita-tryamkin

I guess this thread can come back full circle. If Tryamkin comes back this year, he may be the missing "freak of nature" we need to put us over the top.

Edit: I just realized that the article may be misleading. That was when we signed him in 2016 before anyone gets their hopes up just yet.

Edited by theo5789

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-sign-freak-russian-defenceman-nikita-tryamkin

I guess this thread can come back full circle. If Tryamkin comes back this year, he may be the missing "freak of nature" we need to put us over the top.

Edit: I just realized that the article may be misleading. That was when we signed him in 2016 before anyone gets their hopes up just yet.

Thanks Theo for bringing me up and then crushing my hopes on this rainy Thursday.