The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

49 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

There is a fear factor playing against Tryamkin that has forwards letting up on his side..  there are no analytics for that.

There actually are. They’re just proprietary.

Well, at least as far as tracking goes.

There’s definitely no metric measuring fear. ;) 

I’m sure the Canucks have access to very sophisticated tracking data, and to several other metrics that the general public never sees.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

There actually are. They’re just proprietary.

Well, at least as far as tracking goes.

There’s definitely no metric measuring fear. ;) 

I’m sure the Canucks have access to very sophisticated tracking data, and to several other metrics that the general public never sees.

The KHL started to use the deep data stats the NHL was going to use in the playoffs this season.

In Niks last game he was tracked as skating 5.2 kms.  Where his teammate Pavel Datsyuk was tracked at 3.9 kms.

That kind of stuff interests me..  the basics..

but most analytics I find are overrated.

For other sports like Baseball or Football, I think they’re fine, they work in a more individual type sport .

But hockey, and the puck luck factor !?.. 

like they say, anything can happen, it’s hockey.

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

The KHL started to use the deep data stats the NHL was going to use in the playoffs this season.

In Niks last game he was tracked as skating 5.2 kms.  Where his teammate Pavel Datsyuk was tracked at 3.9 kms.

That kind of stuff interests me..  the basics..

but most analytics I find are overrated.

For other sports like Baseball or Football, I think they’re fine, they work in a more individual type sport .

But hockey, and the puck luck factor !?.. 

like they say, anything can happen, it’s hockey.

Yeah, analytics in general are pretty hit and miss. Well, the data itself doesn’t lie, but the interpretation is where the problems start.

As far as Tryamkin and “forwards letting up on his side,” there are some very cool heat maps and other types of data out there that can quantify or offer good visualizations of what’s happening on entries and routes when particular D pairings are on the ice. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, analytics in general are pretty hit and miss. Well, the data itself doesn’t lie, but the interpretation is where the problems start.

As far as Tryamkin and “forwards letting up on his side,” there are some very cool heat maps and other types of data out there that can quantify or offer good visualizations of what’s happening on entries and routes when particular D pairings are on the ice. 

That's very interesting. Be nice if you could see who peels off during an attack when Tryamkin or in fact others ie Stecher are on the ice defending. It begs the question how come Benn is here. Maybe Virtanen has stats that show how often he does a fly by :lol:

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Could you find one of these heat maps on zone entries and post it...….PLZ

Well I noticed it helped Phillip Larsen's plus minus improve when they were paired together. I think Tryamkin slows the attack as forwards veer to the other side of the ice. The first thing they have to avoid is his long sweeping poke check. And swing wide of him along the boards, but if they try to wedge past him then they are asking to get hit. I seen a forward try to skate into him while carrying the puck but he just bounced off Tryamkin straight to the ice. Even if they send two forwards to his side to muck out the puck along the boards to gain offensive zone possession, Tryamkin usually comes out with that puck either using those big skates or pushing guys off the puck and then skating it behind the net. I don't think the puck stays in his zone for very long. Tryamkin usually deals with it straight away. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Well I noticed it helped Phillip Larsen's plus minus improve when they were paired together. I think Tryamkin slows the attack as forwards veer to the other side of the ice. The first thing they have to avoid is his long sweeping poke check. And swing wide of him along the boards, but then they are asking to get hit. I seen a forward try to skate into him while carrying the puck but he just bounced off Tryamkin straight to the ice. Even if they send two forwards to his side to muck out the puck along the boards to gain offensive zone possession, Tryamkin usually comes out with that puck either using those big skates or pushing guys off the puck and then skating it behind the net. I don't think the puck stays in his zone for very long. Tryamkin usually deals with it straight away. 

He makes it look so easy Hairy,.  and I think because of that and how he works his strengths to his advantage, his defensive work goes unnoticed at times..

ive said before that if you compare Tanev and Tryamkin working a defensive entry,  Tryamkin corrals the player to a side and quickly ends the play by taking the puck carrier before there is any set-up time,. he gets the puck for himself or his partner gets it.

Tanev on the other hand will Zone a puck carrier to a side and track him back and forth until the puck carrier has passed off or been allowed to start an offensive cycle..  with Tanev, it always looks impressive darting up and down on a check, but it allows the Offensive set up..  reminds me so much of how Bob Lenarduzzi used to play soccer,.  Hair flaying around and fast feet , but accomplishing nothing but the next dance routine for Micheal Jackson.

8407430A-F5EE-4BB4-912B-79C1A4516C49.png

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

He makes it look so easy Hairy,.  and I think because of that and how he works his strengths to his advantage, his defensive work goes unnoticed at times..

ive said before that if you compare Tanev and Tryamkin working a defensive entry,  Tryamkin corrals the player to a side and quickly ends the play by taking the puck carrier before there is any set-up time,. he gets the puck for himself or his partner gets it.

Tanev on the other hand will Zone a puck carrier to a side and track him back and forth until the puck carrier has passed off or been allowed to start an offensive cycle..  with Tanev, it always looks impressive darting up and down on a check, but it allows the Offensive set up..  reminds me so much of how Bob Lenarduzzi used to play soccer,.  Hair flaying around and fast feet , but accomplishing nothing but the next dance routine for Micheal Jackson.

8407430A-F5EE-4BB4-912B-79C1A4516C49.png

Yes I think it doesn't look like much because he makes it look easy. The size and intimidation is a tool that reminds me of Babych and Murzyn. Nothing fancy, just shut'er down.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Could you find one of these heat maps on zone entries and post it...….PLZ

Sorry, I couldn’t remember exactly where I saw it, and I looked around tonight, but unfortunately I couldn’t find anything online that I could share here. If memory serves, somebody who does manual tracking published a kind of “entries heat map” that I saw a while ago. I can’t remember who it was. I think they’d manually tracked zone entries and then overlaid plots approximating the paths of the puck carriers’ routes, creating what was effectively a traffic map for the entries against a particular D pairing.

I know some of the professional analytics outfits do tracking that can generate a wide variety of reports and visualizations, involving puck movement, player movement, and various combinations of the two. There’s a lot of data available, especially if you have the money to pay for it. This will only expand and become more sophisticated, and ubiquitous, once the NHL officially rolls out their Puck and Player Tracking system (which IIRC was supposed to be starting in this year’s playoffs and should definitely be in effect for the 2020-21 season).

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

I really don't think NT is going to improve much more; he is what what he is going to be.  Probably at best a good third pairing LD.  I don't see Green playing him on his weak side.  Benn has been better on the right side even though he is a lefty but Green hardly ever played him there (played right side in Montreal semi regular).  Just my thoughts.

Just wanted to also say I hope and pray all are well and staying healthy.  Tough times for many but thank-you to you all for helping pass the the time and providing an escape from all that is going on around us.  Every time I come on here someone says something I can't help laughing at and laughter is good medicine.  Blessings to you all. :canucks:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Yes I think it doesn't look like much because he makes it look easy. The size and intimidation is a tool that reminds me of Babych and Murzyn. Nothing fancy, just shut'er down.

Man Murzyn was a brute. I recall Gretzy saying how he hated to play against Murzyn and Ronning saying no opponent likes to go against Murzyn. He wasn't a great fighter but he never ever declined any one. He used his stick like a Louisville  slugger. Babych just a giant of a man. He lives close by and when you see him you can't believe any one has hands his size, him and Emery Barnes. Big, be it size or attitude still helps in Hockey. I'm looking to see the dominoe effect when Chara retires :lol:

Edited by Fred65
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, dpn1 said:

I really don't think NT is going to improve much more; he is what what he is going to be.  Probably at best a good third pairing LD.  I don't see Green playing him on his weak side.  Benn has been better on the right side even though he is a lefty but Green hardly ever played him there (played right side in Montreal semi regular).  Just my thoughts.

Just wanted to also say I hope and pray all are well and staying healthy.  Tough times for many but thank-you to you all for helping pass the the time and providing an escape from all that is going on around us.  Every time I come on here someone says something I can't help laughing at and laughter is good medicine.  Blessings to you all. :canucks:

He's predominately played RD in his career. I don't think you can call that his 'weak' side.

• Cheers 4

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He's predominately played RD in his career. I don't think you can call that his 'weak' side.

I just meant that he shoots left, not that he was weak.  Green just seems to prefer playing lefties on the left and righties on the right.

45 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Man Murzyn was a brute. I recall Gretzy saying how he hated to play against Murzyn and Ronning saying no opponent likes to go against Murzyn. He wasn't a great fighter but he never ever declined any one. He used his stick like a Louisville  slugger. Babych just a giant of a man. He lives close by and when you see him you can't believe any one has hands his size, him and Emery Barnes. Big, be it size or attitude still helps in Hockey. I'm looking to see the dominoe effect when Chara retires :lol:

The Bruins just signed a big un out of College, .. I’d think he’ll be pulled under Zed’s wing soon.

• Wat 1

18 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

The Bruins just signed a big un out of College, .. I’d think he’ll be pulled under Zed’s wing soon.

Yeah the Wolff kid looks like a keeper but no one is intimidating as Chara, every one skates away when he arrives on the scene :lol:

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

Yes true ( I met Emery Barnes once when he was visiting my group home I used to work at. This was back when I was in college. We were doing a tour of the facility, and I looked for him. He stayed behind and was bent over in half, leaning on short counter when i found him. His back was really bothering him. One of the injuries he dealt with after football). 

Murzyn and Babych were like man mountains out there. And didn't offer up much scoring either. And Gretz would probably say the same thing about Tryamkin. He is just much stronger than the average D man.

Edited by Hairy Kneel