The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

9 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Tanev has certainly earned a NTC. This reminds me a lot of the decision to move on from Hamhuis, its a tough one. Tanev still has a ton of value but can we afford to keep him long term? I still think it might be Stecher thats on the bubble and is a casualty of the cap which is a shame since he plays with everything he's got. 

Why did we not sign Hamhuis, or did he decide to leave because we attempted to trade him and failed? He surely would have been better then some of the defenders we had in the following years.

1 hour ago, AV's Coin said:

Why did we not sign Hamhuis, or did he decide to leave because we attempted to trade him and failed? He surely would have been better then some of the defenders we had in the following years.

He's been around for awhile now. Hasn't he?

1 hour ago, AV's Coin said:

I believe it was a shift of mentality to start re-tooling. We obviously had told Hamhuis we were ready to move on from him in trying to trade him rather than simply extending him. This was demonstrated as we started moving on from other vets like Hansen and Burrows the following year as well. Also, at the time Hutton looked like he was an up and coming young dman ready for a bigger role after leading the defense in scoring (with Edler out for a lengthy period of the season also).

We were also tight against the cap, so with Hamhuis getting a 3.75 million offer from Dallas, it wasn't like we could afford him to potentially be a bottom pairing dman with Edler and Hutton in the top 2 LD on paper. Hamhuis was a shell of his former self much of his time after he left the Canucks and didn't really do much for Dallas or Nashville in taking them to another level.

• Hydration 2
18 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Tryamkin checks the right boxes for our D. √√ Thus shortening the shopping list for JB. And more importantly, shortening the adjustments needed for the coaching staff. All the big forwards who give us trouble, St Louis, Draistle, or the Jets, throw Tryamkin out there to stimey them. (With Myers or Rathbone or a hometown discount Stecher? maybe). He'll clear them out of the crease. Maybe spend the Tanev money on another big good skating D man. UFA or trade. I feel the chemistry of our make up will be getting better balanced ie size and skill, snarl and skill :canucks: Overall its one less thing to worry about.

Other than Pietrangelo, there aren't really any upgrades on Tanev in free agency.

If we're making an improvement there, it's almost certainly trade IMO.

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Other than Pietrangelo, there aren't really any upgrades on Tanev in free agency.

If we're making an improvement there, it's almost certainly trade IMO.

Ya, it is hard to remember that Tanev and Stecher represent two of the better options available.

It is going to be hard to upgrade our defence next year even if we had the money.  It may be adding Rafferty and Tryamkin and hoping for the best.

Edited by Provost
9 minutes ago, Provost said:

Ya, it is hard to remember that Tanev and Stecher represent two of the better options available.

It is going to be hard to upgrade our defence next year even if we had the money.  It may be adding Rafferty and Tryamkin and hoping for the best.

Yeah there's pretty much Vatanen and he'd be largely a lateral move from Tanev, is injured just as much, likely cost more and be a hit in the leadership department.

So that's a non starter IMO :lol:

Adding Tryamkin and some of Rafferty, Brisebois, Juolevi, Sautner etc should offer some level of change/improvement. I also think Myers continues to get more comfortable. But yes any meaningful/big change will have to come from a trade. Something like Virtanen, Stecher and a prospect for...?

Some D UFA's:

Brodie 6'2" 4.6m, Kulikov 6'1",4.5m,

(Det)Ericsson 6'4" 4.2m,

Scandella 6'3", 4.0m, Braun 6'2"  3.8m,

Dillon 6'4", 3.2m, Dillon w 30 NHL fights

Edmunson 6'4",3.1m,  Forbert  6'4"2.5m,

K. Miller 6'2", 2.5m

Polak6'1" 230lbs,1.7m,  Stone 6'3",1.2m,  Petrovic 6'4" .7m 

These are d man that we can consider.

Pieterangelo/Parayko will probably resign.

Vatanen is too small we already have Huggy.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Hydration 2
19 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Demko wins 25 games as a back up and gets us a 1st  and  2nd plus prospect, Ferland , gets  maybe 30-40 games and then back on LITR. $ saves some cap.

Gone are: Tanev, Stech,LE, Baer, and Sutter. (and release/demote Schaller) and Lievo kept as our extra forward.

Fantenburgh as a low cost 7th Dman

*It's going to be impossible to get Pieterangelo, and tough to get Parayko, but I'd like the Surrey boy Dillon. He's tough. And probably would sign to be close to home.

Schaller isn't a Canuck, was traded to LA for Toffoli.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Some D UFA's:

(Det)Ericsson 6'4" 4.2m,

Dillon 6'4", 3.2m,

K. Miller 6'2", 2.5m

To replace Tanev? Half the list are LD (as long as we have Benn, we aren't adding here) and the rest are nowhere near Tanev's level of defense except those who are not much savings on Tanev. To replace Stecher, I am hoping that would be Tryamkin (and hopefully he will become good enough to take over some of Tanev's minutes to ease his workload).

• Hydration 1
56 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

To replace Tanev? Half the list are LD (as long as we have Benn, we aren't adding here) and the rest are nowhere near Tanev's level of defense except those who are not much savings on Tanev. To replace Stecher, I am hoping that would be Tryamkin (and hopefully he will become good enough to take over some of Tanev's minutes to ease his workload).

If we got a couple compliance buyouts I wouldn't mind an Edmundson/Dillon in the top 6 with Tryamkin. Would be a killer pairing that could eat up minutes defensively/PK. I trust Edmundson/Dillon to step up into the top 4 if injuries hit. I'd also re-sign Tanev as well and have a strong D-core.

• Vintage 1
4 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Some D UFA's:

(Det)Ericsson 6'4" 4.2m,

Dillon 6'4", 3.2m,

K. Miller 6'2", 2.5m

Hope Jim Benning moves away from Tanev, like him as a player but poor guy is always injured...He is 30 yrs old UFA asking 4 yrs x 4.8 mil ??

We could also not resign and save his 4.6 million toward other player to resign off this roaster..

Resign Taffoli 4 yrs x 4.9 mil ---- Then move Boser for top # 2 D guy...

Resign Markstrom 4 yrs x 5.7 million - with 10 team trade list in his contract...

Resign Virtanen 3 yrs x 3.2 million  -- He will demand raise after this season..Future 20-24 goals - 44 - 50 points regular, real power forward..

Resign Leivo 2x 1.8 million - show me more deal..Solid top 9 forward - Future 18-23 goals - 40 point - solid gritty plays 200 foot game...

Resign Motte 1 yr x 900,000,=-- Might have to move from Motte-- Big MacEwen 6'3 , 4th line ready

Resign MacEwen 2 yrs x 900,000 -- one way deal, NHL ready and we need his gritty style along with speed..Exciting

Maybe with Covid -19 NHL will give every team a one player buy out? Erickson @ 6 million...Yes fingers crossed..

• Hydration 2
  • Vintage 1
3 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If we got a couple compliance buyouts I wouldn't mind an Edmundson/Dillon in the top 6 with Tryamkin. Would be a killer pairing that could eat up minutes defensively/PK. I trust Edmundson/Dillon to step up into the top 4 if injuries hit. I'd also re-sign Tanev as well and have a strong D-core.

The problem is if every team got a couple of compliance buyouts, there will certainly be more room for teams to pick up those players anyway. We are lucky if we do get one compliance buyout, but that would be because the cap is going down, so there is no way we could afford to re-sign Tanev (assuming also Toffoli and Marky and RFAs) and add a pricier bottom pair LD (especially with Benn in the fold already). Ideally it would be nice to add one of those guys, but I can't see it happening.

• Hydration 1
5 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

The problem is if every team got a couple of compliance buyouts, there will certainly be more room for teams to pick up those players anyway. We are lucky if we do get one compliance buyout, but that would be because the cap is going down, so there is no way we could afford to re-sign Tanev (assuming also Toffoli and Marky and RFAs) and add a pricier bottom pair LD (especially with Benn in the fold already). Ideally it would be nice to add one of those guys, but I can't see it happening.

Perhaps. It'll have to be a wait and see approach. We could move Benn/Sutter and that's 6.4M right there. My idea was to use the buyouts on Roussel/Eriksson and trade away at least 2 of Baer/Benn/Sutter. We could re-sign Tanev as well as sign a D if that all happened. 

But yeah it would take more than just a couple buyouts to get Tanev and a top 6 D.

3 hours ago, wildcam said:

Hope Jim Benning moves away from Tanev, like him as a player but poor guy is always injured...He is 30 yrs old UFA asking 4 yrs x 4.8 mil ??

We could also not resign and save his 4.6 million toward other player to resign off this roaster..

Resign Markstrom 4 yrs x 5.7 million - with 10 team trade list in his contract...

Resign Virtanen 3 yrs x 3.2 million  -- He will demand raise after this season..Future 20-24 goals - 44 - 50 points regular, real power forward..

Resign Leivo 2x 1.8 million - show me more deal..Solid top 9 forward - Future 18-23 goals - 40 point - solid gritty plays 200 foot game...

Resign Motte 1 yr x 900,000,=-- Might have to move from Motte-- Big MacEwen 6'3 , 4th line ready

Resign MacEwen 2 yrs x 900,000 -- one way deal, NHL ready and we need his gritty style along with speed..Exciting

Maybe with Covid -19 NHL will give every team a one player buy out? Erickson @ 6 million...Yes fingers crossed..

Who do we replace Tanev with? Is there a market for Boeser for a #2 dman?

Toffoli is not getting less than 5.5-6 million and I imagine he will want reasonable term. He would surely get that in the UFA market (if the cap is lowered to affect the UFA market, players may go for shorter term and hope the market bounces back). Markstrom may sign for about what you have said, but I think he will want assurances that he will stay a Canuck, meaning trade protection and more importantly expansion draft protection.

I would keep Motte over Leivo especially if Motte could come in at that price compared to Leivo. As it stands right now, our lineup would be (with LE compliance buyout hopefully):

Miller - EP - Toffoli (re-signed hopefully)

Pearson - Bo - Boeser

Roussel - Gaudette - Virtanen

Sutter - Beagle - Motte

MacEwen

We could trade Boeser for help on D, but is Virtanen/MacEwen/Leivo ready for a top 6 role full time? If not, then Boeser stays and there's no room for Leivo. Now we could possibly try to move Sutter/Roussel and that's where Leivo would fit back in, but until then, he's an odd man out for me. I also expect Lind to be battling for a spot and who knows what other young player will step up this off season. Benning has said he expects like 7 young players to crack the roster in the next couple of seasons, so that also will need to be taken into account.

12 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Perhaps. It'll have to be a wait and see approach. We could move Benn/Sutter and that's 6.4M right there. My idea was to use the buyouts on Roussel/Eriksson and trade away at least 2 of Baer/Benn/Sutter. We could re-sign Tanev as well as sign a D if that all happened. 

But yeah it would take more than just a couple buyouts to get Tanev and a top 6 D.

I think we would be lucky to get one buyout. It'll depend how much the cap drops. However if we even get one compliance buyout, that does mean the cap has dropped or best case stagnated, therefore not many teams will be taking on cap dumps, at least not without a heavy add to it as cap becomes even more of a premium. I doubt we would be able to move the full cap of any of those players.

IMO, if we do get two buyouts, I'd be buying out the obvious in LE, but use the other on Baer, who is dead cap. Roussel IMO is still a moveable asset (perhaps with slight retention). Sutter may also be moveable if the right situation came about, but I think we would have to retain this not getting his full cap back. Benn probably is at best a waiver candidate to save us a million if we are truly done with him as I doubt there's a trade market here for a position that could be filled by a lot of budget options.

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

You've got those two backwards FWIW. One's a tradeable NHL player, the other is dead cap playing in the AHL that nobody has wanted on waivers, for free, more than once.

You might be able to trade him with 50% retention given he's only got a year left but a regular buyout also cuts his cap roughly in half as well failing that. If there's a second compliance buyout, dead cap like his is the FAR likelier scenario.

Edited by aGENT
16 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I'd like 6'4" Dillon from Surrey, 30 NHL fights.Throws his weight around. 3.2 M. I think he may like the idea of playing for his hometown.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
10 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I'd like Dillon from Surrey, 30 NHL fights.Throws his weight around. 3.2 M. I think he may like the idea of playing for his hometown.

he will be 30 in the fall, how  will his foot speed hold up with age? Likely going to want a fairly long term deal I would think, last time for a payday. It is too bad he is a lefty, because he would be a healthy, reliable partner for Hughes otherwise.

Be interesting to know if Benning has had any discussions with his rfa and ufa player reps to test the waters on if a new deal could be made with them. He has all the time in the world, just the big uncertainty of the cap...but maybe that could play into his advantage in signing a couple of them before they risk seeing the cap stay the same and have lower offers due to cap restrictions?

Also, really hope we are trying to bring back Tryamkin, could start out on the bottom pair but might be able to jump up an play with Hughes some of the time as well

17 hours ago, wildcam said:

If Toffoli resigns I consider trading Boeser or Demko for Ristolinen and a 1st ( in 2020 -21 or 22)

lets not forget, regarding Demko, 

there is a possibility that Seattle will pick up A decent UFA goaltender and be looking to take a great backup goalie in the Extorsion draft..

I think we protect Marky before Demko.. 

ps. Realize Buffalo might not need a Demko, but he could been an asset to “lever” what their needs might be..  (possible 3 way).

.. but does Botterhill even know what he needs?

Edited by SilentSam