The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

10 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

He came to camp clearly out of shape originally ie he was totally unaware of the NHL bar setting. I think that's undisputed. We hope he knows better next time, assuming there is a next time.

The idea you  just never know what can happen is 80% dreaming. There is the odd exception but as a whole the best team wins. You can't plan with dreams … IMO or I can't and I doubt management can. The concept is a fallacy. There's always a chnace you can win the lottery  :) 

Hence why people continue to play. If you think you're going to lose anyway and you don't buy lottery tickets, then you'll surely not win.

Yes the best team wins, but who knows what that best team may be at any given year or time? Tampa was outright dominant last year, so they were the best team right? Swept in the first round I believe. St Louis were dead last at around the halfway mark, should they have given up already? When LA won their cup, they were an 8th seed. You make the playoffs, you never know. Teams aren't writing themselves off (aside from obvious bottom feeders in which we are no longer). You don't write off years in hopes that you'll be a contender 3 years down the line, that's just as much dreaming as you don't know if players will progress the way you expect them to. You can't predict injuries and such that could derail this "plan" and have years simply gone to waste. We simply continue to progress, aim for the playoffs, and then see where that takes you. You lose, it's still experience. Let the prospects decide their fate by earning their spots. This ideology hasn't changed during Benning's tenue where if young players are good enough, they will make room for them. The difference now is the competition is getting stiffer, but that's how you continue to push your prospects to be even better and the cream will rise to the top.

You are judging a Tryamkin from 4 years ago that despite his shortcomings then was still an impactful player and made his presence known. He has come out and said he wasn't mentally prepared during his time here. He has stated himself that he wasn't mature enough and that in itself shows a sign a maturity. He has been in good shape in the KHL and has been a leader there. He has grown and those who have been following him during his time in the KHL know this rather than continue to live in the past and think he's the same player as then and simply has twiddled his thumbs in the KHL. All signs suggest that he wants to return, just waiting on the cap picture to clear up.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

He came to camp clearly out of shape originally ie he was totally unaware of the NHL bar setting. I think that's undisputed. We hope he knows better next time, assuming there is a next time.

The idea you  just never know what can happen is 80% dreaming. There is the odd exception but as a whole the best team wins. You can't plan with dreams … IMO or I can't and I doubt management can. The concept is a fallacy. There's always a chnace you can win the lottery  :) 

You obviously haven't been keeping up or watching his development this past while. Your in for a nice surprise when you see where his game has come.

The thing that intrigues me is how he will deal with the 'after the whistle' stuff. He was caught off guard last time but I think he's going to be loaded for bear this time.

He hits hard, still, which is a big dinner bell for the cheap shot artists.

He took the conditioning notes to heart when he left. He could use some boxing lessons.

• Vintage 1

I'm just not a dreamer, but that's just me and no I don't waste my hard earned cash on lottery tickets :lol: I'm all for Tryamkin signing but words and good intentions are cheap. I just hope he turns up in shape, if he screws up again I suspect that will be it. SC are not built on dreams but a lot of hard work and tough decissions, IMO anyways. I hope JB goes to the office every day and plans for the future rather than smoke a joint and dream :lol: :lol:

2 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

You obviously haven't been keeping up or watching his development this past while. Your in for a nice surprise when you see where his game has come.

The thing that intrigues me is how he will deal with the 'after the whistle' stuff. He was caught off guard last time but I think he's going to be loaded for bear this time.

He hits hard, still, which is a big dinner bell for the cheap shot artists.

He took the conditioning notes to heart when he left. He could use some boxing lessons.

No I haven't watched him studiously and I hope you're correct. The tough part for scouts is trying to compare when they're in different leagues. What I do see is Nicklas Jensen ( late of the Canucks) was third top point producers in the KHL play-offs and I also note he didn't make the Russian national teams. Lets just hope. The KHL is a mix of ice sizes lets hope the smaller ice will help him

12 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

No I haven't watched him studiously and I hope you're correct. The tough part for scouts is trying to compare when they're in different leagues. What I do see is Nicklas Jensen ( late of the Canucks) was third top point producers in the KHL play-offs and I also note he didn't make the Russian national teams. Lets just hope. The KHL is a mix of ice sizes lets hope the smaller ice will help him

I wouldn't compare forwards and D. Especially from the KHL. They just switched to smaller ice but the D used to have a football field to cover. The only players of value in the K are a few big D men. Most of their best forwards are NHL discards. Or KHL lifers. 

KHL is better on the body, Not as violent as the NHL.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I'm just not a dreamer, but that's just me and no I don't waste my hard earned cash on lottery tickets :lol: I'm all for Tryamkin signing but words and good intentions are cheap. I just hope he turns up in shape, if he screws up again I suspect that will be it. SC are not built on dreams but a lot of hard work and tough decissions, IMO anyways. I hope JB goes to the office every day and plans for the future rather than smoke a joint and dream :lol: :lol:

Which is why prospects have to earn their spots rather than be handed spots for "development". That's where the hard work comes in. The tough decisions is when those prospects prove they are worthy of a spot, then you have to decide who to cut or make trades from depth positions to bolster weaker areas.

I'm confident that JB is doing his job planning. That still doesn't mean you toss away seasons thinking you won't win. He's planning year by year on what tweaks are needed to hopefully get us to the holy grail and that could happen in any given year if everything comes together that season.

21 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Pretty tough for a Dane to crack the Russian national teams. He's played for Denmark internationally though.

• Haha 4

58 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Pretty tough for a Dane to crack the Russian national teams. He's played for Denmark internationally though.

Is that A) obtuse or B) joking. I was talking about Tryamkin and used Jensen as an example of the competition he faces in the KHL. :rolleyes:

10 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Is that A) obtuse or B) joking. I was talking about Tryamkin and used Jensen as an example of the competition he faces in the KHL. :rolleyes:

Probably A as I must've misread what you were saying. My bad.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Did you not watch Tryamkin play in the NHL either Fred?  

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Which is why prospects have to earn their spots rather than be handed spots for "development". That's where the hard work comes in. The tough decisions is when those prospects prove they are worthy of a spot, then you have to decide who to cut or make trades from depth positions to bolster weaker areas.

I'm confident that JB is doing his job planning. That still doesn't mean you toss away seasons thinking you won't win. He's planning year by year on what tweaks are needed to hopefully get us to the holy grail and that could happen in any given year if everything comes together that season.

I really don't understand how his previous NHL games are ignored by some here.

Gudbranson was highly touted, they traded a 1rst, 2nd and prospect then gave him 4.5 mil for a lack lustre NHL career to that date, he was gifted with top two pairing even though he was never a top two defenseman before. But that is okay?

There are enough youtube highlights of Tryamkin and then the stats to use as a comparison with other Canucks during that time, the thing that has to be remembered is he was a rookie, never played on a small ice surface, didn't speak or understand english and evidently pretty much ignored by Willie and the management.

I has become obvius the Utica is seen a punishment by Euros, how many have quit and gone to Europe rather than suffer Utica, even the Canucks finally recognized there was a big problem there but that place now has a reputation and so do the Canucks because of it, players weren't sent there to develop, they were sent there in purgatory.

I think some media is helping the Canucks shape fans into accepting a Tryamkin trade, Boston wants him, so do other NHL teams, his size and the play he showed before would make him a top 4 dman immediately on most teams. Watch some of the highlights, look at his stats, top dman overall, hits, +/-, not points but then no PP time, played left and right sides, fights and matched up on the PK and best of the other teams players. HE WAS A ROOKIE!

Even the Canucks stated they wanted him back, but somewhere they screwed it up, within 24 hours after their offer he signed with the KHL.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Did you not watch Tryamkin play in the NHL either Fred?  

Yeah I watched him, every game he played in Vcr. He's shown his abilities and I like what I see, it's a missing commodity IMO. But here's the but the game has changed sine he last graced Rogers Arena. It's has become faster and he has played at a lessor pace against inferior opposition and don't tell me that doesn't count. Brain are some what like computer they are what you input. PLus of course JB has basically stated that he has to wait to see what is happening to the Cap

1 hour ago, Lazurus said:

I really don't understand how his previous NHL games are ignored by some here.

Gudbranson was highly touted, they traded a 1rst, 2nd and prospect then gave him 4.5 mil for a lack lustre NHL career to that date, he was gifted with top two pairing even though he was never a top two defenseman before. But that is okay?

There are enough youtube highlights of Tryamkin and then the stats to use as a comparison with other Canucks during that time, the thing that has to be remembered is he was a rookie, never played on a small ice surface, didn't speak or understand english and evidently pretty much ignored by Willie and the management.

I has become obvius the Utica is seen a punishment by Euros, how many have quit and gone to Europe rather than suffer Utica, even the Canucks finally recognized there was a big problem there but that place now has a reputation and so do the Canucks because of it, players weren't sent there to develop, they were sent there in purgatory.

I think some media is helping the Canucks shape fans into accepting a Tryamkin trade, Boston wants him, so do other NHL teams, his size and the play he showed before would make him a top 4 dman immediately on most teams. Watch some of the highlights, look at his stats, top dman overall, hits, +/-, not points but then no PP time, played left and right sides, fights and matched up on the PK and best of the other teams players. HE WAS A ROOKIE!

Even the Canucks stated they wanted him back, but somewhere they screwed it up, within 24 hours after their offer he signed with the KHL.

I know this is the Tryamkin thread, so I don't blame you for your interpretation of this post. I had replied to a post suggesting that we are at least 3 years from serious contention and should use these next few years to inject prospects to give them experience. So I was simply suggesting that prospects should earn their spots rather than be handed them if they want NHL time.

I fully believe that Tryamkin is an NHLer at this point (read my other posts if you don't believe me), but I do think he should start as a bottom pairing guy (although he may not be there long) and work his way up.

As for Gudbranson, just some clarification, he was traded for McCann (former 1st rounder), a 2nd and a 4th. He also was played with Edler a brief time, he mostly was paired with Hutton and Pouliot in "2nd and 3rd pairing" roles, not top pairing. If we didn't re-sign him, he would've signed elsewhere, so at least we still got Pearson from him because he was still a valued commodity worthy of a trade even at that price tag.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Yeah I watched him, every game he played in Vcr. He's shown his abilities and I like what I see, it's a missing commodity IMO. But here's the but the game has changed sine he last graced Rogers Arena. It's has become faster and he has played at a lessor pace against inferior opposition and don't tell me that doesn't count. Brain are some what like computer they are what you input. PLus of course JB has basically stated that he has to wait to see what is happening to the Cap

I watched him play this season Fred..  10 games,., he is faster, more mobile, leaves no gap.. offensive prowess,., more physically inclined and clocked a 102 mph shot in an all star game.  

JB has stated he wants him back..  it won’t be a matter of the Cap.. it will be who goes and who stays to fit Tryamkin in.

i can not see us spending any more years with LEGO- Man Tanev..  im confident Nik is bolded on the board in Black Sharpie.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2