The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

53 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

11 points in a plush role in a weak-sauce league. And he's the world's biggest baby.

Hard pass. I hope Benning uses discretion.

I suppose you didn’t watch him play either?..  his role was changed to be more of a shut down D and he played very well as that.

including lots of PK time.

the odd game was given the green light to see if he could catch opponents off guard,. Those opportunities were rare , but some beauty highlight rushes.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

...............................  his role was changed to be more of a shut down D and he played very well as that.

including lots of PK time.

the odd game was given the green light to see if he could catch opponents off guard,. Those opportunities were rare , but some beauty highlight rushes.

A big ass shut down D-man? I'm totally down with that. If Tree can be that guy and more, perhaps that makes Tyler Myers available for movement. TM acquisition seemed questionable to me and I still feel that way. Not worth the dinero we're paying him. However, it's only been 2/3 of a season he's played for us.

So much uncertainty cuz' of Covid.

48 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

So no Tryamkin jersey for you?

... and they should take away game passes to all the journalists in this town,.  The friggin negativity just doesn’t stop.

Tryamkin just might be the best Defensive import in the entire league next season, kind of getting a plug and play slushy maker in August.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, NexusRift said:

A big ass shut down D-man? I'm totally down with that. If Tree can be that guy and more, perhaps that makes Tyler Myers available for movement. TM acquisition seemed questionable to me and I still feel that way. Not worth the dinero we're paying him. However, it's only been 2/3 of a season he's played for us.

So much uncertainty cuz' of Covid.

That’s your way of evading the question I had for you out of my quote?

Have you watched Tryamkin play any games over the past 3 seasons he has been away?

40 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

That’s your way of evading the question I had for you out of my quote?

Have you watched Tryamkin play any games over the past 3 seasons he has been away?

I think I  caught almost 30 games? Some only 1 or 2 periods because of wonky internet connection.  But what fun watching him play. He's matured. Even his photos look more intense. He is definitely coming in to make a mark.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

I see that you don't understand the role of a defensive Dman. The "plush role" he played, in the second best league in the world, was number one shutdown Dman. When he has a more offensive role, his production is of course higher.

To that. People here would let tanev walk for possibly wanting 5 mil(1.5 mil ) more than some expect tryamkins will want. Tanev had more points this yr playing in the best league in the world being one of the best defensive d man playing today. A huge hole would be left by letting Tanev walk over 1.5 mil.Yes, Van needs tyramkin.Needs that physical edge but not at the expense of stability.

38 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

To that. People here would let tanev walk for possibly wanting 5 mil(1.5 mil ) more than some expect tryamkins will want. Tanev had more points this yr playing in the best league in the world being one of the best defensive d man playing today. A huge hole would be left by letting Tanev walk over 1.5 mil.Yes, Van needs tyramkin.Needs that physical edge but not at the expense of stability.

Tanev, not sure about his contract he'll be looking for. His age is getting up there, his cost is getting up there. He generally misses a lot of games. Not sure if our value would be better getting  a UFA like Dillon and Tryamkin for the same cost.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Dannydog said:

But is it a stable player who has historically played 60-70% of the season?

what stability does that bring to the team?Sutter eats the same biscuit.

Some players are just prone.

Thats about 8 or 9 mil between those 2 alone.

i have to agree with Hairy,. Dillon isn’t a bad change.. who knows what frees up over this summer..  it’s going to be interesting.

Even without a game being played.

Personally I see Tanev as over rated in this town..  
we have never really had a true # 1 Dman..  Although Hughes has that vibe.

All Stanley Cup Champs had at least 1 Top Dman..  finally the fog is lifting.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Your right about the KHL,  this season played was the first ever the teams tried to work together and adopted the Team cap spending limits.

And It’s nothing to compare to the NHL..

I beleive it converted to 13m usd per team.

( please correct me if I’m wrong).

They cut 3 teams last season from the KHL because of poor revenues, and were going to cut another 3 I beleive.

Good for them to convert 12 rinks (including Avtomobilist’s) to smaller surfaces..

but gate attendance is usually averaging 

7000 seats per game.

Yes, the KHL is going to be hurt greatly..

just as they were extending an olive branch with the NHL to honour contracts between the 2 leagues.

Perhaps the only thing that might save them is to become in Europe, what the AHL is to NHL teams.  Players there could be farmed with the ability to play in the NHL and go back freely.

Less pressure for ice time availability for the abundance of talent throughout the World.

IMHO much of what happens on the RD comes down to Benning's view of resigning Tanev. Yes, Tanev did have a healthier season as his game benefited from an improved puck possession game. It took pressure off the d-zone. That said Van's d-core was not CUP competitive even tho the group was experienced. As Benning builds this team towards serious CUP competitiveness in 2023 there has to be changes. A big question to ask is how a older Tanev will stand up to CUP play. Covid cancellation of the season and playoffs was very unfortunate as tougher playoff games might have shed some light on how effective this group could be. Both Tanev and Stecher have to be resigned. What their camps ask for in salary and duration likely tells the tale.

I do think Tryamkin will be signed on a 3 year bridge deal. Cannot be longer. I see him as a possible Tanev replacement at 2RD.   

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

IMHO much of what happens on the RD comes down to Benning's view of resigning Tanev. Yes, Tanev did have a healthier season as his game benefited from an improved puck possession game. It took pressure off the d-zone. That said Van's d-core was not CUP competitive even tho the group was experienced. As Benning builds this team towards serious CUP competitiveness in 2023 there has to be changes. A big question to ask is how a older Tanev will stand up to CUP play. Covid cancellation of the season and playoffs was very unfortunate as tougher playoff games might have shed some light on how effective this group could be. Both Tanev and Stecher have to be resigned. What their camps ask for in salary and duration likely tells the tale.

I do think Tryamkin will be signed on a 3 year bridge deal. Cannot be longer. I see him as a possible Tanev replacement at 2RD.   

I agree Tyamkin could be seen a a POSSIBLE replacement for tanev. At this period of time theres no one pushing him out of his spot here and to what cost would it be to sign another UFA D that "Could" be that guy. Gambling dollars with vancouvers cap is a risky game. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Bouds, with the underlined statement,  I wonder if letting both Tanev and Stetcher go ,  if we’re able to sign Alex Petrangelo (also FA) to a deal?

he is getting older , but he is the same age as Tanev, and plays 70-80 games per season historically.

I just think that the money used for Tanev could be better used.

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Petrangelo

Tryamkin - Rafferty/ Rathbone/ Joulevi

Petrangelo would be the perfect mentor for the D men, Hughes, Tryamkin, Rafferty, Rathbone, Joulevi , and be able to push Myers to another level.

after next season, another 6m is off the books with Edler out.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 1

Not trying to turn it into a Tanev bashing  but just being realistic.  Our D needs to be more physical.  Tire fires anyone? Like its been said defense wins championships,  and controlling our own zone is how to start this transition.  Tampa is a great example of defensive positioning to have. I think Tryamkin is a step in the right direction. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Not trying to turn it into a Tanev bashing  but just being realistic.  Our D needs to be more physical.  Tire fires anyone? Like its been said defense wins championships,  and controlling our own zone is how to start this transition.  Tampa is a great example of defensive positioning to have. I think Tryamkin is a step in the right direction. 

I do see Petrangelo as a guy to talk to once he hits free agency.

With what Tanev and Stetcher are looking for, the “round-about” money is there.

as I’ve stated before , a forward has to go,    a trade for a good pick,  or a certain player retires, or doesn’t come back from Sweden.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Bouds, with the underlined statement,  I wonder if letting both Tanev and Stetcher go ,  if we’re able to sign Alex Petrangelo (also FA) to a deal?

he is getting older , but he is the same age as Tanev, and plays 70-80 games per season historically.

I just think that the money used for Tanev could be better used.

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Petrangelo

Tryamkin - Rafferty/ Rathbone/ Joulevi

Petrangelo would be the perfect mentor for the D men, Hughes, Tryamkin, Rafferty, Rathbone, Joulevi , and be able to push Myers to another level.

after next season, another 6m is off the books with Edler out.

Petrangelo will want $'s + term. I would be surprised if the Blues don't find some way of signing him. Signing Tanev or any other older UFA creates a long term issue. If Benning is comfortable with the scouting they did on Tryamkin we might have a surprise. Move Tanev before the deadline and resign Stecher on a 2 - 3 year deal. We also don't know what UFA's out there would like to come to Vancouver as they will be CUP competitve in a few years.  

55 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Petrangelo will want $'s + term. I would be surprised if the Blues don't find some way of signing him. Signing Tanev or any other older UFA creates a long term issue. If Benning is comfortable with the scouting they did on Tryamkin we might have a surprise. Move Tanev before the deadline and resign Stecher on a 2 - 3 year deal. We also don't know what UFA's out there would like to come to Vancouver as they will be CUP competitve in a few years.  

Perhaps with Edler leaving after the following season, that money could be factored into a contract worth offering.. smaller cap hit in the first season, rising for the following 2 or 3 years ( solid cup runs) and lowering for a 4th or 5th season.

Pietrangelo has been paid well over this RFA time,  6.5 per..  which is the way the league is going, banking on the 23-29 year old to give you his best hockey.

I just don’t see his game dropping off, team wise the D. Core he has been on has been solid,.  But individually an all around elite full tool box healthy player.

all just wish full thinking ,.    

Ps.  “Move Tanev before the Deadline”..  I think that’s come and gone to his FAgency on July 1st.

i did want to see him moved this season for a pick,.  banking for the off season.

Im confident that Tryamkin will prove to be a better and healthier player than Tanev ever was.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

So, as I am looking for arguments of why we need Tryamkin, I started looking at +/- which admittedly is not the best metric for effectiveness, but it starts to make me think a little about what is needed on Defence...…...

So here is what we have

Hughes -10                                   Tanev +4

Edler +13                                       Myers -7

Fantenberg -10                             Stecher +10

Benn -7

So what does mean? Well, at even strength our Defense is - 7 as a whole, at even strength

But it also asks the question, of who we really want to sign and /or move

Here is my point...……..Myers was brought in to shore up the defense and give Tanev some relief. I am not sure that letting Stecher or Tanev go is going to improve our Defense even if we bring in Tryamkin...……….

Now certainly, we do not generate offense from our Right side, but I am not sure we are looking at this correctly. Something that is glaring is that the 3 players Benning has added over the last year, just has not cut it...……….Myers, Fantenberg, and Benn collectively are a minus 24, and really add very little PP Offense, so I am wondering what that 8 million dollars is really doing on the team?

What it is telling me, is that Myers at 6 million is the odd man out. I wonder if by simply exchanging Myers and Tryamkin, do we get an improved Defense? Taking into account that Fantenberg and Benn are just gone, gone, gone!

If we consider that both Tanev and Stecher joined the team rather quickly after being signed, then could it be assumed that Rathbone may step in on the Left side and do better than Benn and Fantenberg? Now I know that comes a little out of left field, in terms of the discussion, but maybe, we have to be a little more aggressive, in revamping the entire defensive corp?

Hughes                                               Tanev

Edler                                                   Tryamkin

Rathbone                                            Stecher

Juolevi/Brisebois                                 Rafferty

This may be a more positive defensive core?

Thoughts?