The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

1 hour ago, Slegr said:

I’m one of the optimistic few who believe the NHL will have playoffs this summer.
I’d also love Tryamkin to sign and join the team to participate in said playoffs.

My gut feeling says once a plan is in place to start the NHL up again, things will move fast. As in players will immediately need to go to the participating location to self quarantine for two weeks first.

I guess I’m just wondering why we don’t sign Tryamkin right now so he can join in the possible run. Are there any legitimate reasons why we cannot? (I.e. cap space as of the moment? Ineligibility to play this season?) Or could this dream come to fruition? We haven’t had many kicks at the Cup in recent years. I’d want all hands on deck, and he would be a mighty hand.

I doubt he'll be able to play this season (if there is more of one) given free agency is effectively going to need to be postponed and you can't sign/play guys to play in an ongoing season.

On 5/3/2020 at 2:47 PM, NexusRift said:

Acquiring him would indeed be a home run. I believe we need a vet presence of his caliber. He's still got some years yet to be an effective player. By virtue of his winning the big prize last season, he'll be hungry to win again. Can that can happen with Vancouver? 

I think we have the desire with the players and in the organization for such. It's just a matter of convincing any Pietrangelo type free agents with the dinero and want to be a part of the experience.

Call it a home run now, then find out what it would actually cost and realize what CDC's reaction would be. He won't be cheap if any sort of bidding war happens, and that's before thinking about term and how effective he'll be later on in that term.

13 hours ago, elvis15 said:

Call it a home run now, then find out what it would actually cost and realize what CDC's reaction would be. He won't be cheap if any sort of bidding war happens, and that's before thinking about term and how effective he'll be later on in that term.

AP would be pretty pricey; for any team for that matter. I meant only that our D could use a SC embattled warrior vet presence. Much like Babych did in the '90s.

15 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Having both Tanev and Tryamkin is the way to go if we want to see actual improvement to the D-core next year.

You should go listen to some of the people that watched Tryamkin in KHL... Maybe a NHL # 5 D man, good skater, defensive IQ needs to improvement, size is great 6'7 265lbs..I think some Canuck fans think he is going to make the defence much better??? Also signing him for 2 million x 3 yrs  ?

Stetcher 26 is more complete D man then Tryamkin 26....

I do like Tryamkin on backend, good skater and very tough in front of net? Just better not have high expectations..

Edited by wildcam
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Tryamkin Myers
Hughes  Edler
Raff and add tough UFA (Dillon)

7th dman Rath/OJ

As a Canuck fan you might think that is a good defence but think we would be in trouble..

If benign and group move away from Tanev they will have to trade for a younger talented D man..

Can't find this in UFA market but would have to trade a winger...

Not trading centres Petey, Horvat or Gaudette... Winger Miller not being traded..

Wingers, Boeser, Pearson, Virtanen, Ferland, Leivo..

Boeser will get the best value top 2 D man back...

Have to trade good asset to get a very good asset back under 27 years old..

Ryan Johansen - Nash -- ( Seth Jones - Columbus )

These big trades happen and are good hockey moves for both teams..

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

As a Canuck fan you might think that is a good defence but think we would be in trouble..

If benign and group move away from Tanev they will have to trade for a younger talented D man..

Can't find this in UFA market but would have to trade a winger...

Not trading centres Petey, Horvat or Gaudette... Winger Miller not being traded..

Wingers, Boeser, Pearson, Virtanen, Ferland, Leivo..

Boeser will get the best value top 2 D man back...

Have to trade good asset to get a very good asset back under 27 years old..

Ryan Johansen - Nash -- ( Seth Jones - Columbus )

These big trades happen and are good hockey moves for both teams..

Tanev is great. But hes in tough to finish a season, much less adding a long war in the postseason.  

If were going to trade a big name I'm thinking Demko plus a forward (Lievo/Sutter)and a D prospect (Bris/Chat?) Demko we may lose for nothing to Seattle. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, wildcam said:

You should go listen to some of the people that watched Tryamkin in KHL... Maybe a NHL # 5 D man, good skater, defensive IQ needs to improvement, size is great 6'7 265lbs..I think some Canuck fans think he is going to make the defence much better??? Also signing him for 2 million x 3 yrs  ?

Stetcher 26 is more complete D man then Tryamkin 26....

I do like Tryamkin on backend, good skater and very tough in front of net? Just better not have high expectations..

I think Stecher is an average top 6 D. Tryamkin does have a lot more attributes that would contribute to success here and to the team than Stech easy.

Stech is not as big, intimidating, or can cover as much area as Tryamkin. We hardly saw Stecher on any special teams which is why his TOI is so low whereas I can easily see Tryamkin as a PKer.

So in terms of Stecher or Tryamkin I would pick Tryamkin 100% of the time, we desperately need more bigger tougher D and Stecher is far from that.

In terms of my expectations, I have stated on this thread people need to ease there own because it'll create misconceptions of how good Tryamkin will be based on bias. I see him coming back and starting as a top 6 defenseman at first and the rest is up to him. It's extremely unpredictable how good he'll be but IMO it's safe to say he's gonna be effective in the top 6.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Tanev is great. But hes in tough to finish a season, much less adding a long war in the postseason.  

If were going to trade a big name I'm thinking Demko plus a forward (Lievo/Sutter)and a D prospect (Bris/Chat?) Demko we may lose for nothing to Seattle. 

Still on the Risto train.  DiPietro, Leivo, Stecher or whatever’s needed.  Sign Tree and let Tanev walk:

Edler Ristolainen 

Hughes Tryamkin 

Joulevi Myers

Benn/Rafferty and Rathbone in the wings to challenge.

• Cheers 2

38 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Still on the Risto train.  DiPietro, Leivo, Stecher or whatever’s needed.  Sign Tree and let Tanev walk:

Edler Ristolainen 

Hughes Tryamkin 

Joulevi Myers

I agree we have Markstrom 30 years old playing like a top 10 goalie last 2 years, Demko 24 future #1 goalie..

We don't want to lose Demko in expansion so trading a goalie before next June is a must...

Should get a good return for Demko....I say late 1st rounder and top 5 prospect from another team..

Really want to keep Virtanen, every team need power forward with skill, speed and size, only 23 yrs old..

Edited by wildcam
  • Cheers 3

49 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Edler Ristolainen 

Hughes Tryamkin 

Joulevi Myers

Oh I am on same page as you with Ristolainen 25, 6'4, 215 lbs, very talented and perfect age to grow with core of team averaging  40 points per season last 4 years..

This is the type  of D man Canucks need badly, contract 2 years remaining at 5.4 Million..Save not resigning Tanev 4.5 mil..

Great trade idea...

Edited by wildcam

I'm all for the big home run signings like a Risto or Peiterangelo but I think LE contract needs to get cleared. And as long as this home run signing doesn't risk us resigning all our young stars. Including Mark and Toff. Who do they want for Risto? and what is the size and term for a Pietoangelo look like?

Are we at risk of losing a young gun like Brock or Jake? Which is something I couldn't believe.  JB would need to  be rock solid certain to move either of those two. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I'm all for the big home run signings like a Risto or Peiterangelo but I think LE contract needs to get cleared. And as long as this home run signing doesn't risk us resigning all our young stars. Including Mark and Toff. Who do they want for Risto? and what is the size and term for a Pietoangelo look like?

Are we at risk of losing a young gun like Brock or Jake? Which is something I couldn't believe.  JB would need to  be rock solid certain to move either of those two. 

I would rather go after Ristolainen is 25, 6'4, 40 point guy 5.4 million 2 yrs left... 

Peiterangelo 30, UFA made 6.5 million last season..Will want big contract say 7 million x 4   ?

Would rather go after the younger guy in Ristolainen... Buffalo will want value back? Demko - (Woo  or Rathbone) - Stetcher - 3 rounder pick 2022 ?

Edited by wildcam
  • Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Agreed on the LE contract but I think if we moved out Tanev and Stecher and brought in Risto and Tryamkin then the cap would be decently close.  It may take Virtanen to be part of the deal which I am certainly not in favour of, but it may take that and it would be worth it for our needs I believe.  Peitrangelo to me is the definitive type number 1 D man of the present, but he doesn't fit the age group.  Risto has some room to grow and fits perfectly into the age group.  The benefit there, is if we works out we could keep him around for a long time.

On 5/5/2020 at 10:56 AM, stawns said:

Personally, I think Myers was a key acquisition for the Canucks last year and fit right in.  He's not perfect, but he filled a need and I think he's a significantly better player than Try is.  

Tryamkin doesn't chase and get out of position as much as Myers....Tryamkin is a force to be reckoned with. He will make the team better.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

if a forward hits a post or a crossbar, or the puck banks in off your skate, people impressed, “He almost scored! If you play D or goal and you slip up on coverage, or screen a goalie, or the puck banks in off you on an attempted block, you are a bum. Myers is not Doughty, but he is not a bum either.  I like what he brought to our D - he brings some puck movement and offence to a D, other than Hughes or Edler - when he’s healthy, that lacks for it and he also brings some size, and for a guy who is not a goon, some stiffness.

No doubt there seemed to be a difference

What I am trying to get my head around is trying to sign as many players as possible

And there is lots......Toffoli, Virtanen, Motte, Tanev, Stecher, Tryamkin, Gaudette, MacEwen, Markstrom, Leivo and Fantenburg

I was also looking at plus minus of our defense this year

Edler +13

Stecher +10

Tanev +4

Myers -7

Benn -7

Hughes -10

Fantenburg -10

So, excluding Fantenburg and Benn, both of who had limited games are on the bottom anyways. I am looking at what is best in terms of over all, and I can't help but think that it is between Toffoli and Tanev, for who is not re-signed, and when I put Myers into that group, he looses and I move him.

It is not that I don't like Myers, but he wasn't a 2nd pairing defenseman in Winnipeg, and I really question whether he is here. Tanev had 20 pts to Myers 21 points. Myers had 7 PPP's to Tanev's 1, and Stecher had 0...….Stecher actually out scored both Myers and Tanev in goals. But the telling numbers are always at even strength, for me. This is where both Tanev and Stecher beat Myers...……….Tanev had 1 PPP, Stecher had 0...…...so even strength points were Tanev 19, Stecher 17, and Myers 14, even strength points!

IMO, this shows, that Myers wasn't as good as thought, but better than Gudbranson, Biega and Schenn……….so no wonder, our second pairing RHD played noticeably better this year...…….oh and I forgot Pouliot, who also played there last year...…..so really, are we to be excited with Myers? Well, he was better than who we had last year...

PS...……..Biega had 16 points last year, with 1 power play point and 15 even strength points....again Myers had 14 even strength points this year...…………..

Yes a step up, from last year, after Tanev, but people are saying let Tanev walk, and I have come around to saying no, on that one. I also think Toffoli has shown his skill and drive, and his no quit attitude...….I would live to keep him, if at all possible! I am also say Stecher is better than advertised.

Then we come to Tryamkin, which I believe has a value of between 3 and 3.5 Million per season, and I feel, he would be much better in his own end than Myers.....some people feel different, but that is all right, that is what I believe....There is also 4 1/2 years difference in age, and as suggested about 2.5 to 3 million difference in salary per year. Other teams wanted Myers last year, but we signed him, he may be a good trading chip.....

That is what I think about when we talk about our RHD...………...I don't sleep well, obviously!

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I think Stecher is an average top 6 D. Tryamkin does have a lot more attributes that would contribute to success here and to the team than Stech easy.

Stech is not as big, intimidating, or can cover as much area as Tryamkin. We hardly saw Stecher on any special teams which is why his TOI is so low whereas I can easily see Tryamkin as a PKer.

So in terms of Stecher or Tryamkin I would pick Tryamkin 100% of the time, we desperately need more bigger tougher D and Stecher is far from that.

In terms of my expectations, I have stated on this thread people need to ease there own because it'll create misconceptions of how good Tryamkin will be based on bias. I see him coming back and starting as a top 6 defenseman at first and the rest is up to him. It's extremely unpredictable how good he'll be but IMO it's safe to say he's gonna be effective in the top 6.

How mny times did we see Stecher get beaten physically last year? My memory says lots. I give him full credit for the progress he has made and the fact that experience is making him a better player. Markstrom stole how many games last year? Bottom line is the existing d-core looked far better than they actually played in a good number of games. Benning's big challenge this summer is deciding who to keep Stecher or Tanev. Depending who is in the wings it wouldn't surprise me to see both gone. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

No doubt there seemed to be a difference

What I am trying to get my head around is trying to sign as many players as possible

And there is lots......Toffoli, Virtanen, Motte, Tanev, Stecher, Tryamkin, Gaudette, MacEwen, Markstrom, Leivo and Fantenburg

I was also looking at plus minus of our defense this year

Edler +13

Stecher +10

Tanev +4

Myers -7

Benn -7

Hughes -10

Fantenburg -10

So, excluding Fantenburg and Benn, both of who had limited games are on the bottom anyways. I am looking at what is best in terms of over all, and I can't help but think that it is between Toffoli and Tanev, for who is not re-signed, and when I put Myers into that group, he looses and I move him.

It is not that I don't like Myers, but he wasn't a 2nd pairing defenseman in Winnipeg, and I really question whether he is here. Tanev had 20 pts to Myers 21 points. Myers had 7 PPP's to Tanev's 1, and Stecher had 0...….Stecher actually out scored both Myers and Tanev in goals. But the telling numbers are always at even strength, for me. This is where both Tanev and Stecher beat Myers...……….Tanev had 1 PPP, Stecher had 0...…...so even strength points were Tanev 19, Stecher 17, and Myers 14, even strength points!

IMO, this shows, that Myers wasn't as good as thought, but better than Gudbranson, Biega and Schenn……….so no wonder, our second pairing RHD played noticeably better this year...…….oh and I forgot Pouliot, who also played there last year...…..so really, are we to be excited with Myers? Well, he was better than who we had last year...

PS...……..Biega had 16 points last year, with 1 power play point and 15 even strength points....again Myers had 14 even strength points this year...…………..

Yes a step up, from last year, after Tanev, but people are saying let Tanev walk, and I have come around to saying no, on that one. I also think Toffoli has shown his skill and drive, and his no quit attitude...….I would live to keep him, if at all possible! I am also say Stecher is better than advertised.

Then we come to Tryamkin, which I believe has a value of between 3 and 3.5 Million per season, and I feel, he would be much better in his own end than Myers.....some people feel different, but that is all right, that is what I believe....There is also 4 1/2 years difference in age, and as suggested about 2.5 to 3 million difference in salary per year. Other teams wanted Myers last year, but we signed him, he may be a good trading chip.....

That is what I think about when we talk about our RHD...………...I don't sleep well, obviously!

You do have a case, but add this to the mix - when we are at home we get the matchup most of the time. It seems to me that Green attempts to get away from matches that put Stetcher and Hughes up against big, physical players that outmatch them in size and strength - he tries to get one of his big guys out there then. If you don’t have that kind of D in your mix, you can be at a disadvantage. Now, I confess that Stetcher does a lot to overcome his physical disadvantages with smarts, positioning and work ethic, and for his size, he is very strong. Defensively, he is a good model for Hughes.

I was not initially in favor of the Myers trade, but when looking at our organization, we really didn’t have a capable guy of any stature for the right side - and six million is a lot of cap space for a guy who was almost out of the picture in Winnipeg. But then, we weren’t Winnipeg and really needed a right side D. If Tryamkin is available, I’d rather have him - he can play the right side (Green seemingly being reticent about D on their not natural side, notwithstanding) but now we have another cap issue with a free agent defenceman. Myers might be tradeable, but I wonder if we have to eat salary in order to move him - aargh - the desperate need of our ownership to make the playoffs strikes again - free agency is fraught with peril and we have had a couple of questionable moves by Benning trying to fill out the D with free agents - Gudbranson, Benn, and now maybe Myers come to mind. The Juolevi situation has not helped - fifth overall, Benning probably expected the kid to be playing for him in Vancouver last year and with any luck, the year before. Juolevi having a career arc one might expect from a high pick in a strong year for D would certainly have helped - I’ve seen Juolevi play his offside, and when healthy, was okay. Sadly, Benning could not depend on him playing in this plague year season, so needed free agent help - but five years at six mil for Myers? Of course, he did start with an empty cupboard, and if ownership wants to be respectable immediately, the GM is in a tough spot.

If we could move Myers and not retain any cap and sign Tryamkin maybe that is a way out from the tight spot we appear to be in for the coming season.  It would be great to retain a Toffoli and Boeser on the right side - if we can fit them in. A right side of Toffoli, Boeser, Virtanen and MacEwen looks pretty good to me - especially with Pearson able to play either wing without a falloff in play in case of injury and Leivo coming back - very strong, well balanced RW.

• Cheers 1