The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

You do have a case, but add this to the mix - when we are at home we get the matchup most of the time. It seems to me that Green attempts to get away from matches that put Stetcher and Hughes up against big, physical players that outmatch them in size and strength - he tries to get one of his big guys out there then. If you don’t have that kind of D in your mix, you can be at a disadvantage. Now, I confess that Stetcher does a lot to overcome his physical disadvantages with smarts, positioning and work ethic, and for his size, he is very strong. Defensively, he is a good model for Hughes.

I was not initially in favor of the Myers trade, but when looking at our organization, we really didn’t have a capable guy of any stature for the right side - and six million is a lot of cap space for a guy who was almost out of the picture in Winnipeg. But then, we weren’t Winnipeg and really needed a right side D. If Tryamkin is available, I’d rather have him - he can play the right side (Green seemingly being reticent about D on their not natural side, notwithstanding) but now we have another cap issue with a free agent defenceman. Myers might be tradeable, but I wonder if we have to eat salary in order to move him - aargh - the desperate need of our ownership to make the playoffs strikes again - free agency is fraught with peril and we have had a couple of questionable moves by Benning trying to fill out the D with free agents - Gudbranson, Benn, and now maybe Myers come to mind. The Juolevi situation has not helped - fifth overall, Benning probably expected the kid to be playing for him in Vancouver last year and with any luck, the year before. Juolevi having a career arc one might expect from a high pick in a strong year for D would certainly have helped - I’ve seen Juolevi play his offside, and when healthy, was okay. Sadly, Benning could not depend on him playing in this plague year season, so needed free agent help - but five years at six mil for Myers? Of course, he did start with an empty cupboard, and if ownership wants to be respectable immediately, the GM is in a tough spot.

If we could move Myers and not retain any cap and sign Tryamkin maybe that is a way out from the tight spot we appear to be in for the coming season.  It would be great to retain a Toffoli and Boeser on the right side - if we can fit them in. A right side of Toffoli, Boeser, Virtanen and MacEwen looks pretty good to me - especially with Pearson able to play either wing without a falloff in play in case of injury and Leivo coming back - very strong, well balanced RW.

Myers is by no means an all star (or overly flashy, dominant etc) but he's a legit top 4 RHD. He's easily worth $6m on the open market (at least at non-adjusted pre-covid dollars).

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 5/5/2020 at 8:12 PM, elvis15 said:

Call it a home run now, then find out what it would actually cost and realize what CDC's reaction would be. He won't be cheap if any sort of bidding war happens, and that's before thinking about term and how effective he'll be later on in that term.

I wonder if Tryamkin is craving to be back to prove himself,  I think a very fair deal will be reached.

Term might be more the issue.  

I don’t get the feeling that Tryamkin is interested in dealing with other teams spread across N America that he dosent have a familiarity with.

Perhaps its a 2 year deal, opening the negotiations sooner than later for a longer term after that. 

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Agreed on the LE contract but I think if we moved out Tanev and Stecher and brought in Risto and Tryamkin then the cap would be decently close.  It may take Virtanen to be part of the deal which I am certainly not in favour of, but it may take that and it would be worth it for our needs I believe.  Peitrangelo to me is the definitive type number 1 D man of the present, but he doesn't fit the age group.  Risto has some room to grow and fits perfectly into the age group.  The benefit there, is if we works out we could keep him around for a long time.

If was thinking of Pietrangelo as the guy who replaces Edler next season,. If his contract was staggered as such it could help.

... but then the issue becomes who can and can’t we protect with The Extorsion Draft looming?

Do we stack the D core now, or wait a season ?

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

No doubt there seemed to be a difference

What I am trying to get my head around is trying to sign as many players as possible

And there is lots......Toffoli, Virtanen, Motte, Tanev, Stecher, Tryamkin, Gaudette, MacEwen, Markstrom, Leivo and Fantenburg

I was also looking at plus minus of our defense this year

Edler +13

Stecher +10

Tanev +4

Myers -7

Benn -7

Hughes -10

Fantenburg -10

So, excluding Fantenburg and Benn, both of who had limited games are on the bottom anyways. I am looking at what is best in terms of over all, and I can't help but think that it is between Toffoli and Tanev, for who is not re-signed, and when I put Myers into that group, he looses and I move him.

It is not that I don't like Myers, but he wasn't a 2nd pairing defenseman in Winnipeg, and I really question whether he is here. Tanev had 20 pts to Myers 21 points. Myers had 7 PPP's to Tanev's 1, and Stecher had 0...….Stecher actually out scored both Myers and Tanev in goals. But the telling numbers are always at even strength, for me. This is where both Tanev and Stecher beat Myers...……….Tanev had 1 PPP, Stecher had 0...…...so even strength points were Tanev 19, Stecher 17, and Myers 14, even strength points!

IMO, this shows, that Myers wasn't as good as thought, but better than Gudbranson, Biega and Schenn……….so no wonder, our second pairing RHD played noticeably better this year...…….oh and I forgot Pouliot, who also played there last year...…..so really, are we to be excited with Myers? Well, he was better than who we had last year...

PS...……..Biega had 16 points last year, with 1 power play point and 15 even strength points....again Myers had 14 even strength points this year...…………..

Yes a step up, from last year, after Tanev, but people are saying let Tanev walk, and I have come around to saying no, on that one. I also think Toffoli has shown his skill and drive, and his no quit attitude...….I would live to keep him, if at all possible! I am also say Stecher is better than advertised.

Then we come to Tryamkin, which I believe has a value of between 3 and 3.5 Million per season, and I feel, he would be much better in his own end than Myers.....some people feel different, but that is all right, that is what I believe....There is also 4 1/2 years difference in age, and as suggested about 2.5 to 3 million difference in salary per year. Other teams wanted Myers last year, but we signed him, he may be a good trading chip.....

That is what I think about when we talk about our RHD...………...I don't sleep well, obviously!

Tanev had 20 pts to Myers 21 points. Myers had 7 PPP's to Tanev's 1

The above is where I see the difference that makes Myers better.

I beleive Tanev was on the first pp..  usually using up the 1st min 30 secs of a power play.

Tanev does not shoot in the pp.

his overall game is more track defensively or pass offensively.. he is NOT physical.

In Myers overall game he  shoots and rushes on opportunity and shuts down physically defensively.

If Myers had been paired with Hughes for the same amount of time that Tanev had in regular play,. I suspect Myers would have greater numbers in all or most categories than Tanev in this sense.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I beleive Tanev was on the first pp..  usually using up the 1st min 30 secs of a power play.

his overall game is more track defensively or pass offensively.. he is NOT physical.

In Myers overall game he  shoots and rushes on opportunity and shuts down physically defensively.

If Myers had been paired with Hughes for the same amount of time that Tanev had in regular play,. I suspect Myers would have greater numbers in all or most categories than Tanev in this sense.

Tanev averaged something like 4 seconds a game in power play time this past season.

The first unit is nearly always Hughes and 4 forwards.

Myers averaged 1:19 PPTOI/GP playing mostly on the second unit.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Tanev averaged something like 4 seconds a game in power play time this past season.

The first unit is nearly always Hughes and 4 forwards.

Myers averaged 1:19 PPTOI/GP playing mostly on the second unit.

Sid that really surprises me,  I honestly thought I saw him on ice almost every pp start..   thank you for bringing that to my attention.

ps.. what link do you get that stat from? Cheers..   it’s for my future personal reference.

Edited by SilentSam
Ps
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Sid that really surprises me,  I honestly thought I saw him on ice almost every pp start..   thank you for bringing that to my attention.

ps.. what link do you get that stat from? Cheers..   it’s for my future personal reference.

I just used this:

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/vancouver-canucks-team-stats?season=2019&category=ICE+TIME&time=0

Only because it was my first google result. 

Official NHL page here has the same TOI numbers.

• Thanks 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Tanev on the PP? First unit too? Give me what you're smoking!

First guy over the boards on the PK you mean right?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Just watching the games. no references needed.

Yes, the addition of Tryamkin is not the saviour Dman like a Peitrangelo would be, but he adds to our bottom pairing making us tougher in our zone. One thing is the domino effect of another strong pairing Green can throw over the boards. In effect our D corps will be better by committee.  I'd be happy with adding a tough middlin'  UFA dman like Dillon. Cheaper, tough, another support out there for our finesse skill guys.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

On 5/7/2020 at 8:30 PM, Ray_Cathode said:

If you are talking skill guys on D, we have one - Hughes. Edler was a poor man’s skill Guy on D this past year.

I actually meant our skilled forwards who could use more grit on every pair. Especially when their getting chippy with EP or Huggy, and getting away with it. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel

On 5/7/2020 at 9:28 PM, SilentSam said:

Dude ... I got the memo... your late.image.gif.ac0ecd54630b9f27eb26022d8ede7f75.gif

I think you set off a four bell alarm with your initial comment.  You have joined my club. You may be living with this for a while, once the  chihuahuas on CDC get their front paws wrapped around your leg you will get humped for a while.

• Haha 1

On 5/6/2020 at 10:05 PM, janisahockeynut said:

No doubt there seemed to be a difference

What I am trying to get my head around is trying to sign as many players as possible

And there is lots......Toffoli, Virtanen, Motte, Tanev, Stecher, Tryamkin, Gaudette, MacEwen, Markstrom, Leivo and Fantenburg

I was also looking at plus minus of our defense this year

Edler +13

Stecher +10

Tanev +4

Myers -7

Benn -7

Hughes -10

Fantenburg -10

So, excluding Fantenburg and Benn, both of who had limited games are on the bottom anyways. I am looking at what is best in terms of over all, and I can't help but think that it is between Toffoli and Tanev, for who is not re-signed, and when I put Myers into that group, he looses and I move him.

It is not that I don't like Myers, but he wasn't a 2nd pairing defenseman in Winnipeg, and I really question whether he is here. Tanev had 20 pts to Myers 21 points. Myers had 7 PPP's to Tanev's 1, and Stecher had 0...….Stecher actually out scored both Myers and Tanev in goals. But the telling numbers are always at even strength, for me. This is where both Tanev and Stecher beat Myers...……….Tanev had 1 PPP, Stecher had 0...…...so even strength points were Tanev 19, Stecher 17, and Myers 14, even strength points!

IMO, this shows, that Myers wasn't as good as thought, but better than Gudbranson, Biega and Schenn……….so no wonder, our second pairing RHD played noticeably better this year...…….oh and I forgot Pouliot, who also played there last year...…..so really, are we to be excited with Myers? Well, he was better than who we had last year...

PS...……..Biega had 16 points last year, with 1 power play point and 15 even strength points....again Myers had 14 even strength points this year...…………..

Yes a step up, from last year, after Tanev, but people are saying let Tanev walk, and I have come around to saying no, on that one. I also think Toffoli has shown his skill and drive, and his no quit attitude...….I would live to keep him, if at all possible! I am also say Stecher is better than advertised.

Then we come to Tryamkin, which I believe has a value of between 3 and 3.5 Million per season, and I feel, he would be much better in his own end than Myers.....some people feel different, but that is all right, that is what I believe....There is also 4 1/2 years difference in age, and as suggested about 2.5 to 3 million difference in salary per year. Other teams wanted Myers last year, but we signed him, he may be a good trading chip.....

That is what I think about when we talk about our RHD...………...I don't sleep well, obviously!

I see that you have put a lot of thought into this, and I appreciate that fact I too have lamented the Canucks’ defence... but... then I thought of this: Pettersson 21, Gaudette 23, Horvat 25 - is there a team with a younger group of centres on their top three lines? Centres are an enormous component of team defence. Now, I like our centres and see lots of upward movement coming from them - especially if a prospect such as MacEwen or Jasek, Karlsson, Costmar, or Focht can fill in the fourth centre spot - it bodes well for the future, though the inexperience May hurt us now.

Why isn't this guy signed yet? I heard KHL training camp starts in June or July. The longer this drags, the more it creates uncertainty. He wants to play for the Canucks, so let's get it done.

4 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I see that you have put a lot of thought into this, and I appreciate that fact I too have lamented the Canucks’ defence... but... then I thought of this: Pettersson 21, Gaudette 23, Horvat 25 - is there a team with a younger group of centres on their top three lines? Centres are an enormous component of team defence. Now, I like our centres and see lots of upward movement coming from them - especially if a prospect such as MacEwen or Jasek, Karlsson, Costmar, or Focht can fill in the fourth centre spot - it bodes well for the future, though the inexperience May hurt us now.

I am a little confused as to where we are now. Meaning is Benning saying that we are competing now, or are we still a couple of years away? It makes a big deal, in terms of what your moves are. For instance......

If it is now, then Markstrom, and Tanev

If it is 2 years, then it is Demko and Tryamkin

Same goes for RW...….

Right now, we are full at RW, but not over full

We can use Toffoli, Boeser, Virtanen, MacEwen, and be quite competitive now

But if we are looking 2 years down the road

Toffoli, Boeser, Virtanen, MacEwen, Podkolzin, and Lind looks over crowded

Especially when you look at LW, and see the void

Miller, Pearson, Hoglander, ?????

Now or 2 years, makes a big difference...………...

I have went back and forth, so many times...……..

So, to be honest, with Covid, the Cap, Eriksson and all the other things pending

I am leaning for 2 years from now...…...

But tomorrow, I will be back to today...…...

But, back to this thread...…..lets get Tryamkin signed, and deal with the aftermath later

On 5/7/2020 at 9:11 AM, aGENT said:

Myers is by no means an all star (or overly flashy, dominant etc) but he's a legit top 4 RHD. He's easily worth $6m on the open market (at least at non-adjusted pre-covid dollars).

The way it worked at the close of the season due to covid - Stetcher had again become Edler’s partner, and Tanev was getting big minutes with Hughes, that moved Myers into the bottom pairing - and it was not the league’s greatest D overall - so I have some question as to Myers ranking in the top four and a six mil cap hit.

48 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I am a little confused as to where we are now. Meaning is Benning saying that we are competing now, or are we still a couple of years away? It makes a big deal, in terms of what your moves are. For instance......

If it is now, then Markstrom, and Tanev

If it is 2 years, then it is Demko and Tryamkin

Same goes for RW...….

Right now, we are full at RW, but not over full

We can use Toffoli, Boeser, Virtanen, MacEwen, and be quite competitive now

But if we are looking 2 years down the road

Toffoli, Boeser, Virtanen, MacEwen, Podkolzin, and Lind looks over crowded

Especially when you look at LW, and see the void

Miller, Pearson, Hoglander, ?????

Now or 2 years, makes a big difference...………...

I have went back and forth, so many times...……..

So, to be honest, with Covid, the Cap, Eriksson and all the other things pending

I am leaning for 2 years from now...…...

But tomorrow, I will be back to today...…...

But, back to this thread...…..lets get Tryamkin signed, and deal with the aftermath later

Not to worry, Virtanen and Podkolzin play either wing (the Pod person being a left hand shot). And MacEwen played a significant amount of centre both in junior and his last year in Utica - Jasek is also a RW converted to c, and I would not be surprised to see Lind add C to his game as he took a large proportion of the critical face offs in Utica this past year. I’m not saying everybody is moving to C, just that numerous players in our organization have been adding that to their resume - see the effectiveness of Miller at LW or C. And then there is the spectre of injury - surely a significant fact in VCR - see Baertschi, Leivo, Ferland and the considerable time missed by Sutter, Motte, and Beagle.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

The way it worked at the close of the season due to covid - Stetcher had again become Edler’s partner, and Tanev was getting big minutes with Hughes, that moved Myers into the bottom pairing - and it was not the league’s greatest D overall - so I have some question as to Myers ranking in the top four and a six mil cap hit.

We don't really have a traditional 'top 4'. 

What's Myers ATOI (and in an admittedly 'off' year for him) vs Stecher?

Myers has had an off year adjusting to a new team and was still trusted with top 4 minutes.

He's a top 4 RHD. The coach gave him top 4 minutes. He has top 4 advanced stats. Again, he's not going to 'wow' anyone (particularly in a 'meh' year) and nobody's declaring him a 1st pair dynamo but this thinking he's not a valuable top 4 D is silly.

• Like 1