The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

3 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I am a little confused as to where we are now. Meaning is Benning saying that we are competing now, or are we still a couple of years away? It makes a big deal, in terms of what your moves are. For instance......

If it is now, then Markstrom, and Tanev

If it is 2 years, then it is Demko and Tryamkin

Same goes for RW...….

Right now, we are full at RW, but not over full

We can use Toffoli, Boeser, Virtanen, MacEwen, and be quite competitive now

But if we are looking 2 years down the road

Toffoli, Boeser, Virtanen, MacEwen, Podkolzin, and Lind looks over crowded

Especially when you look at LW, and see the void

Miller, Pearson, Hoglander, ?????

Now or 2 years, makes a big difference...………...

I have went back and forth, so many times...……..

So, to be honest, with Covid, the Cap, Eriksson and all the other things pending

I am leaning for 2 years from now...…...

But tomorrow, I will be back to today...…...

But, back to this thread...…..lets get Tryamkin signed, and deal with the aftermath later

I think that Benning means that the team is competing now.  In other words, they have a good shot at making the playoffs and will based on win %.  But competing means development and the evaluation of players.  This is what he has said he's wanted all along.  Pushing players to a level that they've never experienced before is invaluable.

So what are the levels?

1. Competing for a playoff spot.
  2. Competing in the playoffs.
  3. Advancing through additional playoff rounds
  4. Competing for penants.
  5. Competing for the cup.

Every level is another layer of experience, development and evaluation.

Same goes for Utica.  This is why he hung on to Markstrom ahead of Lack.  Because Marky showed so well in the playoffs in Utica in 2015

Benning is also willing to give up 1st rounders to get to a higher level of development for his players because it is terrible for teams like Buffalo and Edmonton to go 10 years without a sniff at the playoffs.

Edited by Crabcakes
  • Vintage 1

13 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I think you set off a four bell alarm with your initial comment.  You have joined my club. You may be living with this for a while, once the  chihuahuas on CDC get their front paws wrapped around your leg you will get humped for a while.

You are so terribly right my friend !!  ...  well , if I guy can’t find the humour these day,  he might as well be it . .  

Thank you for that,  you’ve actually made my day..  

I now realize what type of pet Kanukfanatic and theo5789 are to us here..  and how to get their valued attention.

.. not much better to do these days anyway ...   

james bond friends GIF

;)

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 2

boesser + Rafferty + Mcdonaught + OJ for Dumba and Greenway + 3rd 2020

Sutter for a 3rd 2020

use the 3 thirds to move up into the 2nd round

let Tanev walk, sign tryamkin

Miller- Petey- Toff

Pearson- Horvat- Virtanen

Roussel- Gaudette- Greenway

BigMac-Beagle-Motte/Lind/Jasek

Edler-Dumba

Hughes-Myers

Tryamkin-Stecher

Marky

Thatch

• Haha 1
  • Wat 5

41 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Why haven’t we signed Tryamkin yet??

I think the answer to that is much like Rathbone, parties need to know which if any leagues are going to open next season. All of the following might have no season at all, NHL, AHL, NCAA, KHL, SEL and under what circumstances if they do. Such as salary cap or buy outs. Players need to play so I think most players/teams are taking a wait and see stance

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I think the answer to that is much like Rathbone, parties need to know which if any leagues are going to open next season. All of the following might have no season at all, NHL, AHL, NCAA, KHL, SEL and under what circumstances if they do. Such as salary cap or buy outs. Players need to play so I think most players/teams are taking a wait and see stance

That makes sense, thanks.

Just now, Slegr said:

Why don’t we sign him for the rest of this year? We’re in playoffs in one month, and he’s better than our 5th and 6th existing options.

Aren’t we right against the cap? Don’t think we could.

15 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Aren’t we right against the cap? Don’t think we could.

Hmm... this is where Canucks management needs to fight the Roberto thing with the league. For that money, we could afford Tryamkin right now. Meanwhile, the Leafs continue to spend over the cap because they traded for injured players to help legally cheat their way into spending above cap. How is this all allowed?

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

53 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I think it would.

If he wants 2-3 mil I’d want it on a 3 year deal.

I'd do 2 year if if it was between 2 - 2.5 but if he gets close to 3 it HAS to be 3 year.

51 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Hmm... this is where Canucks management needs to fight the Roberto thing with the league. For that money, we could afford Tryamkin right now. Meanwhile, the Leafs continue to spend over the cap because they traded for injured players to help legally cheat their way into spending above cap. How is this all allowed?

On what basis?  The recapture penalty was agreed upon by the BOG and NHLPA.  It’s part of the CBA. Not only that. But the league enforced the penalty on two other contracts prior to Luongo retiring.  Also. The Canucks had the opportunity to negate any potential risk penalty by using a compliance buyout on Luongo.  They chose not to.  There’s no leg to stand on at this point 

Edited by qwijibo
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

On what basis?  The recapture penalty was agreed upon by the BOG and NHLPA.  It’s part of the CBA. Not only that. But the league enforced the penalty on two other contracts prior to Luongo retiring.  Also. The Canucks had the opportunity to negate any potential risk penalty by using a compliance buyout on Luongo.  They chose not to.  There’s no leg to stand on at this point 

Maybe no leg to stand on, but there’s still a finger to give to the NHL.

35 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Well, this lawyer seems to think there’s a case to be made, at least in Canada, that cap recapture and the 35+ rule are discriminatory and violate Canadian human rights legislation. 

https://nelliganlaw.ca/blog/labour-law/nhl-collective-bargaining-agreement-violate-canadian-human-rights-legislation/

It’s kind of an interesting take, and one I haven’t heard before.

This article also discusses some of the other legal arguments against cap recapture (many of these ideas have been discussed in other threads here):

https://canucksarmy.com/2019/03/11/from-the-community-retirement-recapture-and-recrimination-how-the-canucks-could-approach-the-roberto-luongo-situation/

Obviously, the Canucks aren’t going to sue the league. Benning already said as much, and the team is already accepting the terms of Luongo’s cap recapture.

I just have to wonder what Gillis (or even Burke) might have done, had they been the Vancouver GM when Luongo retired. Mike Gillis especially never seemed to care much what the league, or other GMs, really thought about him, and was willing to look for any and every edge he could find, even if it meant playing a bit dirty. Would’ve been something to see if Gillis took the league to court. 

Of course, the new, reformed MG probably wouldn’t do it, but the old MG, before he got fired and went on his journey of self-reflection? That guy might have sued the league, and maybe he’d have even won.

Oh well, we’ll never know. Fun to think about though. :lol:

12 hours ago, Slegr said:

I’d like to think the league would look at that,  the way this season has played out with Covid ,  Every team needs to be healthy financially for the next season.

That’s a BIG,.     “IF” Bettman and Daly can get over themselves and see that no added hardships are need for franchises.

...  They would do better as a league to hire L Gilman and M Gillis to help them run the league , than punish this team for the opportunity they found with the RL Contract.    .. after all , the League had to approve first, and they did.

15 hours ago, Slegr said:

Why don’t we sign him for the rest of this year? We’re in playoffs in one month, and he’s better than our 5th and 6th existing options.

If he was not on the team at the TDL he cannot play on the team if the league starts up again to finish this season.

Edit: at least that is my understanding. 

Edited by Kanukfanatic

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

I’d like to think the league would look at that,  the way this season has played out with Covid ,  Every team needs to be healthy financially for the next season.

That’s a BIG,.     “IF” Bettman and Daly can get over themselves and see that no added hardships are need for franchises.

...  They would do better as a league to hire L Gilman and M Gillis to help them run the league , than punish this team for the opportunity they found with the RL Contract.    .. after all , the League had to approve first, and they did.

It’s not that Gillis found a loophole that hardly anyone else did.  Teams were warned not to circumvent the cap.  Gillis has a cup contender and decided to circumvent the cap to make a run.  They knew there would be consequences. They didn’t care.