The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

1 hour ago, mll said:

2) European leagues only count if he was on loan there while under an NHL contract.  He only has 2 pro-years and not the 3 to qualify.  Canucks wouldn't have his rights if he did.  As soon as he plays 1 NHL game he will disqualify entirely as he will have reached 80 NHL games. 

Provost posted the relevant CBA article a few posts earlier -  SPC stands for Standard Player Contract (as signed with a NHL team)

Group 6:

(i) Means any Player who is age 25 or older who has completed three (3) or more professional seasons, whose SPC has expired and: (i) in the case of a Player other than a goaltender, has played less than 80 NHL Games, or (ii) in the case of a goaltender, has played less than 28 NHL Games (for the purpose of this definition, a goaltender must have played a minimum of thirty (30) minutes in an NHL Game to register a game played). For the purposes of the foregoing, the term professional season shall: (A) for a Player aged 18 or 19, mean any season in which such Player plays in eleven (11) or more Professional Games (including NHL Regular Season and Playoff Games, minor league regular season and playoff games, and games played in any European professional league, while under an SPC), and (B) for a Player aged 20 or older, mean any season in which such Player plays in one or more Professional Games (including NHL Regular Season and Playoff Games, minor league regular season and playoff games, and games played in any European professional league, while under an SPC).

OK, I was under the impression that because the NHL recognized contracts from other leagues that they were considered SPC as well but after doing some research, like you said, it refers to an NHL contract and includes players on loan to European leagues, thanks for pointing that part out.

31 minutes ago, Whale Tail said:

They are both probably waiting to hear what is going to happen this season etc etc. 

Ya, it all depends on the cap and that depends on whether they finish the regular season and whatever they do with the playoffs.  We don't know what the league is really going to do wrt the cap.  They're definitely in a holding pattern.

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, Provost said:

That is a pretty awful prospect...

We have a logjam of 5-9 D prospects but have none that are likely to be too 4 guys.  Rathbone is actually the guy that most scouts seem to see as having the most potential as a 2nd pairing guy...  But that is 2-4 years away.  Someone could surprise and exceed reasonable expectations, but you can’t count on that.

If Tryamkin can be a solid 3rd pairing shut down guy with the ability to play higher up in stretches during injuries... I think that would be a huge success for us.  A steady top 4 guy would be miraculous.

Edler is getting older and I can see him gradually reducing to a 3rd pairing on a series of 1 year contracts.  Tanev could be gone as soon as this offseason as he would be one of the top shut down D on the market and be able to command much more than we can or should pay for him.

It does come down to the prospects taking the next step and being good NHL players...Tryamkin showed his worth a few years back and now he is even better than he was then. He will be an important part of our D going forward.

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, AK_19 said:

It doesn't look like he's going to receive a contract from the Canucks:

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040/sekeres-price-may-14-2020-hour-4-1.1476013

That is an hour long clip... where Approximately do they talk about Tryamkin?  Is it just the Dhaliwal portion that was referenced earlier in this thread?  If so, he is just saying that the Canucks aren’t offering contracts for right now with too much stuff up in the air.

So far, everything I heard from the radio folks was the Canucks aren’t going to be signing contracts until they have more info about the cap and how things will be moving forward.  That doesn’t mean “never” though.  Does this clip say something different?

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

That is an hour long clip... where Approximately do they talk about Tryamkin?  Is it just the Dhaliwal portion that was referenced earlier in this thread?  If so, he is just saying that the Canucks aren’t offering contracts for right now with too much stuff up in the air.

So far, everything I heard from the radio folks was the Canucks aren’t going to be signing contracts until they have more info about the cap and how things will be moving forward.  That doesn’t mean “never” though.  Does this clip say something different?

Yes, somehow I just don't see Benning walking away from Tryamkin and letting him sign with one of our competitors on a whim.  I think that what may have been misunderstood is the fact Benning, very understandably, isn't going to offer Tryamkin a contract until both the salary cap and the Canucks' contract situation for next season is more clear.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

When he does sign,  neither party are not sure if it includes this season or not. So I think everything is in a holding pattern. If he helps us finish this years playoffs then that's a different situation  

He is a RFA and RFAs had to be signed by 1 December to be allowed to play.

Doubt the league is willing to change their RFA rules for this season.  They don't even want to allow new ELCs to start this season.  Boeser, Hughes all played games as soon as their NCAA season was over.

Makar made quite the impact in the playoffs last season.  This time around the league is arguing that the rosters are set and it would be unfair to allow for teams to add those players.   

Edited by mll

1 hour ago, mll said:

Doubt the league is willing to change their RFA rules for this season.  They don't even want to allow new ELCs to start this season.  Boeser, Hughes all played games as soon as their NCAA season was over.

Makar made quite the impact in the playoffs last season.  This time around the league is arguing that the rosters are set and it would be unfair to allow for teams to add those players.   

If the new season isn't starting until December or January (which seems likely), then I can definitely see them changing that December date to a few weeks into the season.  No reason not to.

23 minutes ago, Provost said:

If the new season isn't starting until December or January (which seems likely), then I can definitely see them changing that December date to a few weeks into the season.  No reason not to.

Next season all the dates are going to be adjusted.   Deadline for RFAs to be allowed to play the season won't be 1 December but later - it's about 2 months into the season and past that date RFAs can't play for the remainder of the season.  It shouldn't affect Tryamkin next season.  If the Canucks plan to sign him they'll get him under contract so he can start next season on time.  He simply can't play this season as that deadline to be allowed to play was 1 December 2019.  

I was under the impression that the Dec cutoff was that Tryamkin had to be added to the roster. Not necessarily signed to a contract. Since his KHL contract was until  April 30. And he would be eligible after the April date, same as his last start  for us.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I was under the impression that the Dec cutoff was that Tryamkin had to be added to the roster. Not necessarily signed to a contract. Since his KHL contract was until  April 30. And he would be eligible after the April date, same as his last start  for us.

RFAs have to be under an NHL contract by 1 December to be allowed to play.   It's the same situation as with Puljujarvi, Honka - they are not allowed to play this season.  Nylander got really close to not be authorised to play the season ago.

Past seasons players on the reserve list and signing an ELC (ie a 1st time contract and not RFAs like Tryamkin) could be added to the roster - Boeser, Hughes, Makar for example.  This season the league doesn't even want to allow those players to join.  So it's doubtful that the league would now allow RFAs like Tryamkin to have an exception to the CBA 1 December signing rule.

Edited by mll

4 hours ago, mll said:

I don't really see how its unfair? the chance of a rookie being impactful is pretty low, not many teams will be adding a Makar. Plus he was really sheltered too, so its not like they added an experienced UFA. 

49 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't really see how its unfair? the chance of a rookie being impactful is pretty low, not many teams will be adding a Makar. Plus he was really sheltered too, so its not like they added an experienced UFA. 

That was the explanation given by the league to Russo. It might also be the league not wanting to add a dozen players or so amid a pandemic (- that was Russo's estimate of players that teams would like to sign for this season to get them in the fold).  

Canucks signed 4 such players last year - Hughes, Rafferty, Kielly, Teves were all able to burn a year of their ELC.  It's an incentive to sign.  

Surprised by the decision given that teams are going to have to bring up additional players in any case - the AHL is cancelled and teams also typically have the so-called black aces/taxi squad for the playoffs.  Not sure why they couldn't be new ELC players given that it was allowed in the past.  

58 minutes ago, mll said:

That was the explanation given by the league to Russo. It might also be the league not wanting to add a dozen players or so amid a pandemic (- that was Russo's estimate of players that teams would like to sign for this season to get them in the fold).  

Canucks signed 4 such players last year - Hughes, Rafferty, Kielly, Teves were all able to burn a year of their ELC.  It's an incentive to sign.  

Surprised by the decision given that teams are going to have to bring up additional players in any case - the AHL is cancelled and teams also typically have the so-called black aces/taxi squad for the playoffs.  Not sure why they couldn't be new ELC players given that it was allowed in the past.  

this situation is so fluid that I can see ELCs being part of the picture when its all said and done. 

3 hours ago, mll said:

RFAs have to be under an NHL contract by 1 December to be allowed to play.   It's the same situation as with Puljujarvi, Honka - they are not allowed to play this season.  Nylander got really close to not be authorised to play the season ago.

Past seasons players on the reserve list and signing an ELC (ie a 1st time contract and not RFAs like Tryamkin) could be added to the roster - Boeser, Hughes, Makar for example.  This season the league doesn't even want to allow those players to join.  So it's doubtful that the league would now allow RFAs like Tryamkin to have an exception to the CBA 1 December signing rule.

But dosent that RFA Dec 1 specifically deadline exist for Other European Leagues that have Agreements with the NHL.

The KHL does not have any agreements with the NHL.

(although the KHL has stated they hope to form this relationship with the NHL)

i beleive it was put in place so that the Other Euro Leagues would not lose assets to the NHL down the stretch, and likewise for the NHL’S protection.

I beleive that was why JB put Tryamkin on the Reserve Roster before Christmas..   it could be that this is a grey area that nobody is sure of.   

We know how this league likes to make up rules after the fact.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

this situation is so fluid that I can see ELCs being part of the picture when its all said and done. 

They told Guerin there is likely zero chance that they will allow it.  Not yet 100% but sounds pretty close to a no.

34 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

But dosent that RFA Dec 1 specifically deadline exist for Other European Leagues that have Agreements with the NHL.

The KHL does not have any agreements with the NHL.

(although the KHL has stated they hope to form this relationship with the NHL)

i beleive it was put in place so that the Other Euro Leagues would not lose assets to the NHL down the stretch, and likewise for the NHL’S protection.

I beleive that was why JB put Tryamkin on the Reserve Roster before Christmas..   it could be that this is a grey area that nobody is sure of.   

We know how this league likes to make up rules after the fact.

It's not linked to a league agreement.  Trouba and Nylander were also going to be prevented to play had they failed to sign by 1 December although they were not signed with any other league.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 2