The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

15 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

That frankly goes for many stats. When you look at face off percentage it's a laugh. Some guys have only taken two face off against who you have no idea …. but the won them both:lol:

But over the course of a season or heck at half season it does indicate a trend, some good some not so much. I'm betting many payers know their own +/- at the end of the game … and they know the coach does as well :(

It’s far more of a team stat.  It’s useless on its own.

Thomas Chabot is a career (-) player and was -18 this season but he’s widely regarded as one of the best young D in the game.

Stetcher is likely a cap casualty cast off bottom 4 D but was a +10 this year.  Based purely on +\- with no other context which player would you rather have? 

if you think +\- is an useful stat in evaluating a player you have to take Stetcher.  Personally I take Chabot 

11 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Thomas Chabot is a career (-) player and was -18 this season but he’s widely regarded as one of the best young D in the game.

Stetcher is likely a cap casualty cast off bottom 4 D but was a +10 this year.  Based purely on +\- with no other context which player would you rather have? 

if you think +\- is an useful stat in evaluating a player you have to take Stetcher.  Personally I take Chabot 

Yeah every day of the week. Lol

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Ok, so hypothetically speaking,.  They Cancel the season.

We sign Toffoli before the Draft.

Trade Boeser and Demko at the Draft to Montreal for

D man prospect Romanov, and a 1st rnd pick.

We might possibly lose Demko the following season at the Extorsion Draft.

Boesers money secures Toffoli.

. . And the 1 or 2 contracts we take out of that are ELC’s.

We still might have room to make a play for Pietrangelo.

Pray to the Gods LE dosent come back.

oh.. here’s a beauty for you Jan.. 

BA9F5F31-C48B-472A-AFE3-B5041F548EF9.thumb.jpeg.0cd557e9b81be40f78509f280ecc2ead.jpeg

Montreal doesn’t make that trade.  Their top need right now is a top 4 LHD. Romanov is their second best prospect (and one of the top prospects in the league). from the sounds of things he is NHL ready.  Beyond that they have one of the top rated goalie prospects right now in Primeau.  Boeser would be a nice get for Montreal, but not  at the cost of their best D prospect and a top 10 pick 

Edited by qwijibo
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Montreal doesn’t make that trade.  Their top need right now is a top 4 LHD. Romanov is their second best prospect and from the sounds of things is NHL ready.  Beyond that they have one of the top rated goalie prospects right now in Primeau.  Boeser would be a nice get for Montreal, but not  at the cost of their best D prospect and a top 10 pick 

Just a question Q

Do you like Boeser? For  guy who quotes analytics and such, you don't give much ado to Boeser's points per 60 minutes

4 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Just a question Q

Do you like Boeser? For  guy who quotes analytics and such, you don't give much ado to Boeser's points per 60 minutes

I do. Quite a bit.  But he has holes in his game, injury issues,  and he struggled quite a bit this season. He had a great rookie season but has regressed a little. Likely because of the injuries. Also, his skating is a bit of an issue.

Montreal has bigger needs than a scoring winger.  Trading one of the leagues most promising prospects and a top 10 pick for him is robbing Peter to pay back Paul. It would be repeating the mistake of the Sergachev/Drouin trade 

Edited by qwijibo

18 hours ago, qwijibo said:

You are suggesting that a young top 2-3 40 point D is worth significantly less than an injury prone scoring winger.  

I stopped reading at the bolded if you were referring to Boeser lol.

He gets his back broken by getting checked into an open door and now he is injury prone?

Yeah...ok.    :picard:

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I stopped reading at the bolded if you were referring to Boeser lol.

He gets his back broken by getting checked into an open door and now he is injury prone?

Yeah...ok.    :picard:

Great story. Except he’s missed  chunks of games in all three seasons hasn’t he.  

62 games, 69 games, 57/69 games 

“Canucks’ Brock Boeser ready to salvage injury-ridden season if NHL resumes”

“This is also the third straight season in which the 2015 first-round pick has missed significant time due to injury: 12 games with a rib-cartilage fracture Boeser suffered Feb. 10.” 

Take your outrage elsewhere. Also, This is a Tryamkin thread.  We’ve veered way off topic. 

Edited by qwijibo
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Great story. Except he’s missed  chunks of games in all three seasons hasn’t he.  

62 games, 69 games, 57/69 games 

“Canucks’ Brock Boeser ready to salvage injury-ridden season if NHL resumes”

“This is also the third straight season in which the 2015 first-round pick has missed significant time due to injury: 12 games with a rib-cartilage fracture Boeser suffered Feb. 10.” 

Take your outrage elsewhere. Also, This is a Tryamkin thread.  We’ve veered way off topic. 

Curious, Q,   What’s your opinion on Tanev ?

I have him as time expired here..  For all of the above reasons and comments that @Nuxfanabroad made a page back.

Time to get Tryamkin on our tracks and a couple of well deserving lads out of Utica rotating in next season .

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Curious, Q,   What’s your opinion on Tanev ?

I have him as time expired here..  For all of the above reasons and comments that @Nuxfanabroad made a page back.

Time to get Tryamkin on our tracks and a couple of well deserving lads out of Utica rotating in next season .

Tanev, when healthy, is a top notch defender.  Problem is Vancouver hasn’t been able to rely on him staying healthy.  Paired with a PMD he’s a valuable piece, but he’s logged a lot of hard years for a 30 year old. I’m ok with letting him walk.  I’m not sure that Tryamkin is the answer, but time will tell on that front. 

17 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Tanev, when healthy, is a top notch defender.  Problem is Vancouver hasn’t been able to rely on him staying healthy.  Paired with a PMD he’s a valuable piece, but he’s logged a lot of hard years for a 30 year old. I’m ok with letting him walk.  I’m not sure that Tryamkin is the answer, but time will tell on that front. 

I see Tryamkin as a defender that is unlike Tanev, but better in many other ways, and has the potential and longetivity to be better than Tanev has been, in a less “shine the light” fashion . After watching Nik play this season, I’m quite sure he will prove this within his next full season with us.

Tryamkin IS something this team has not seen for quite some time, and the type of Ironman always needed for playoff play.

Im looking forward to the Draft, and UFA... and a Cap announcement.   I would rather see this season as finished so Teams can concentrate on those issues, training camp, and the next season starting with new norms..   one without face licking,.  And perhaps even a penalty for “face washing” now.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, qwijibo said:

I guess it depends on what you are looking for and how much u have to spend. Chabot is one of my favourite players since I watched him in the WJC, but he's not a Hughes impact type player. For the role he plays I think I'd have to take a serious look at what else is out there. He's similar to Barrie who  I wouldn't want  on my roster. You can't be dazzled by his rushing ability to the detrement of other defiencies and then asked to pay a premium ….tough call

Edited by Fred65
  • Cheers 1

On 5/20/2020 at 12:16 PM, qwijibo said:

You are suggesting that a young top 2-3 40 point D is worth significantly less than an injury prone scoring winger.  A winger who, by the way, struggled to put the puck in the net this season.  It’s just not a reasonable evaluation.

Top scoring D are much harder to find than scoring wingers.  Therefore they’re more valuable.  all that said I think a 1/1 trade is reasonable.  A trade where NJ gives the equivalent of 2 additional 1st round picks is far from reasonable.  

with regards to your argument using +\- .  There’s a reason it’s made fun of.   You need a ton of context for it to give even a blurry snap shot of the player’s play.  

On 5/20/2020 at 12:52 PM, Fred65 said:

There's a reason why that stat is still kept today and why  insiders still refer to players as either a plus player or a negative player

I really don't understand why people discredit this stat. You want the team to score goals when you're on the ice and not give them away when you are on the ice or changing.

That getting scored on during a change is bs, everyone is responsible for not getting scored on and includes not giving it away in a vulnerable position so your teammates get scored on.

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

I really don't understand why people discredit this stat. You want the team to score goals when you're on the ice and not give them away when you are on the ice or changing.

That getting scored on during a change is bs, everyone is responsible for not getting scored on and includes not giving it away in a vulnerable position so your teammates get scored on.

As I said. It’s more of a team stat.  If you’re on the worst team in the league, odds are your +\- will reflect that.  Shall we discuss the season Edler had a league worst -39?  Does that mean he was the worst player in the league that year? It’s a flawed stat.  Taken on its own without a boatload of context it’s useless 

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

As I said. It’s more of a team stat.  If you’re on the worst team in the league, odds are your +\- will reflect that.  Shall we discuss the season Edler had a league worst -39?  Does that mean he was the worst player in the league that year? It’s a flawed stat.  Taken on its own without a boatload of context it’s useless 

I suppose at that level. I know on the teams I played on it was pretty indicative. I wouldn't say he's the worst but his d sucks at times. In that vein you can also say goals and assists are useless to without context. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I suppose at that level. I know on the teams I played on it was pretty indicative. I wouldn't say he's the worst but his d sucks at times. In that vein you can also say goals and assists are useless to without context. 

It’s indicative within a roster. Like if everyone on the team is a plus except one player, who is a significant- player. That would tell you something.  But to just randomly look at a players +\- without that kind of context the stat becomes practically meaningless 

3 hours ago, qwijibo said:

I tend to think over an extended period it's still good. I know I always asked players immediately following the game , win or loss , what their plus minus was. Kind of keeps their play focused on what's important

• Wat 1

On 5/20/2020 at 11:16 AM, qwijibo said:

You are suggesting that a young top 2-3 40 point D is worth significantly less than an injury prone scoring winger.  A winger who, by the way, struggled to put the puck in the net this season.  It’s just not a reasonable evaluation.

Top scoring D are much harder to find than scoring wingers.  Therefore they’re more valuable.  all that said I think a 1/1 trade is reasonable.  A trade where NJ gives the equivalent of 2 additional 1st round picks is far from reasonable.  

with regards to your argument using +\- .  There’s a reason it’s made fun of.   You need a ton of context for it to give even a blurry snap shot of the player’s play.