The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

I think we need to stop comparing him to the same player we last saw.  He has worked on developing his skills and is a better player today, having played on the larger ice surfaces against speedy forwards.  Better stick work, better positioning and better thinking the game.  If you are giving up 80 pounds as a small forward and go in the corner with him, you may hesitate.  Especially when you see video of Tryamkin separating forwards from the puck and shoving them to the ground.  But how much is that worth? For how many years are you willing to pay?  This is not baseball where Aaron Judge and Jose Altuve compete on the same level.  Size will always outweigh mobility in the NHL, always has and always will and especially in the defence corps.  Chara was able to succeed for many years because the smaller European contingency played afraid going up against him.  

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, The Colt 45s said:

I think we need to stop comparing him to the same player we last saw.  He has worked on developing his skills and is a better player today, having played on the larger ice surfaces against speedy forwards.  Better stick work, better positioning and better thinking the game.  If you are giving up 80 pounds as a small forward and go in the corner with him, you may hesitate.  Especially when you see video of Tryamkin separating forwards from the puck and shoving them to the ground.  But how much is that worth? For how many years are you willing to pay?  This is not baseball where Aaron Judge and Jose Altuve compete on the same level.  Size will always outweigh mobility in the NHL, always has and always will and especially in the defence corps.  Chara was able to succeed for many years because the smaller European contingency played afraid going up against him.  

This season, they reduced their home ice much closer to NHL sized rinks (along with a few other teams) and I'd argue it was probably his best defensive season in the KHL. Whether that's from the ice surface change or more maturity towards the game, it bodes well for his transition back here.

• Cheers 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

11 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

No interest from me in paying 3 million for an unproven NHL player like Tryamkin.

I would not mind him back on the Canucks in the 6 spot on D, but paying him more than 2.3 or so for a couple years would be a mistake. He needs to prove he can actually play in the NHL. All he has shown so far is he can play in the KHL which is a league way lower in skill.

Hopefully the nucks get him at a reasonable cost...otherwise....jettison him lol.

He has played a solid 79 games in the NHL.  Was offered a contract  3 years ago to stay.

The amount was rumoured to be 2m +/- per. 3 years ago.

Benning wants him.  That’s all that matters.

Say goodbye, so long,  to Tin-ev..   Not paying 4 -5 mil per for a guy who should have come into the league with a personal medical stretcher,  and leaving a half season gap in the line up every season.

Tryamkin will fill that nicely.

Will be a shame we didn’t ship Tanev this season for a pick.

Edited by SilentSam

13 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

He has played a solid 79 games in the NHL.  Was offered a contract  3 years ago to stay.

Say goodbye, so long,  to Tin-ev..   Not paying 4 -5 mil per for a guy who should have come into the league with a personal medical stretcher,  and leaving a half season gap in the line up every season.

Unfortunately, we weren't really in a position to move Tanev out and have the defensive depth to still be competing for a playoff spot. He's been great with Hughes all year, and stayed relatively healthy, aside from that minor injury around the time of the shutdown. 

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Unfortunately, we weren't really in a position to move Tanev out and have the defensive depth to still be competing for a playoff spot. He's been great with Hughes all year, and stayed relatively healthy, aside from that minor injury around the time of the shutdown. 

CS, I didn’t see this season as a strong push to win a Cup, I did see playoffs,.  But even with our D the way it is, it doesn’t seem to have the physical resistance to survive 2 strong series. Personally I thought it probably more an opportunity to bring a rookie or 2 up .

With Rafferty, Joulevi, Breisbois , Sautner , available to help for a round or 2..  and be able possibly pick up a 2nd rnd pick this draft or next, just helps, and speeds up the way this is probably going to play out.

Hughes is going to make all of his partners look great,.  It will be interesting to see how much better he gets with the right partner.

One that can shut cycles down physically and almost instantly for QH to pick up on the puck separation, without losing speed.

• Cheers 3

9 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

even with our D the way it is, it doesn’t seem to have the physical resistance to survive 2 strong series.

Correct... this is exactly why we need Tryamkin, stat. We're a few weeks away from playing the Wild, with guys like Jordan Greenway coming down hard on our defense. 

Edler is one back spasm away from the press box, Tanev's career of taking hits-to-make-plays often leaves him injured, which forces guys like 5'10 Stecher to play top 4 minutes against power forwards like 6'6 Greenway.  I'm still very perplexed why we haven't signed this guy yet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

if he stays healthy, Tanev is currently a better dman than Try will likely ever be.  That's a big "if" though

2 hours ago, Slegr said:

Correct... this is exactly why we need Tryamkin, stat. We're a few weeks away from playing the Wild, with guys like Jordan Greenway coming down hard on our defense. 

Edler is one back spasm away from the press box, Tanev's career of taking hits-to-make-plays often leaves him injured, which forces guys like 5'10 Stecher to play top 4 minutes against power forwards like 6'6 Greenway.  I'm still very perplexed why we haven't signed this guy yet. 

He's not allowed to play this season.  RFAs had to be signed by 1 December.

The league also told teams that given the Covid situation new contracts can only start next season.  In the past teams were allowed to sign their 1st time ELC players (see Boeser, Makar, Hughes) but this year they apparently do not want to allow it.  The league is arguing that rosters are set and it wouldn't be fair to add those players.  If they don't want new ELCs to begin this year although it was allowed in other years, it's highly unlikely that they make an exception for RFAs like Tryamkin who are not even allowed to join in normal circumstances.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Slegr said:

I read an interesting stat the other day (can't remember where - Kuzma, maybe?) ....

In 71 mins of ice time being paired together (equating to 5 games at 16 mins per game - although obviously fewer minutes in more games) Stecher and Fantenberg were never scored on.

Not sure what that says but it did intrigue me

Ah - found it  ... The Daily Hive:

Oscar Fantenberg – Troy Stecher 

EV TOI: 72:40
CF%: 47.3%
xGF%: 41%

It’s a bit of a turtle race to decide who plays with Troy Stecher on the third pairing, but the slight nod goes to Fantenberg. Benn and Stecher had their struggles together, while this suggestion has less of a track record together.

Some of the defensive numbers aren’t great, but it’s worth noting that the pair hasn’t been on the ice for a goal against. They’re both good puck movers and they’ve allowed fewer scoring chances than all the Canucks pairings that don’t include Hughes.

Here's the link to the full article;

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/best-canucks-defence-pairs

Edited by Googlie
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

if he stays healthy, Tanev is currently a better dman than Try will likely ever be.  That's a big "if" though

Assuming we can afford Tanev that is?

I have argued elsewhere that Tanev should be prioritized above Pearson & Toffoli. Above all our free agents except (maybe) Markstrom. 

The $1 mill, see Bartkowski, and $2 mill, see Jprdie Benn, D men have not made us a better team,

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

2m x 1 year is the max from me.  If he's worth more he needs to prove it. 

Pretty much this.

He can take Benn’s money since I don’t think we can justify having him as a number 7 making 2 mil. A trade will likely have to be made there unless we let Tanev walk.

With Tanev:

Edler Stecher

Hughes Tanev

Tyramkin Myers

Without Tanev:

Edler Stecher

Hughes Myers

Benn Tryamkin

Not the best looking D but we’d save around 3 mil from letting Tanev walk. The first core is obviously better it comes down to cap space.

Edited by DeNiro

26 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Pretty much this.

He can take Benn’s money since I don’t think we can justify having him as a number 7 making 2 mil. A trade will likely have to be made there unless we let Tanev walk.

Edler Stecher

Hughes Myers

Benn Tryamkin

Not the best looking D but we’d save around 3 mil from letting Tanev walk.

If JB has to pay a hefty price to acquire a player who is only a marginal improvement on Tanev I would rather just re up Papa Tanev. 

Hughes Tanev/Other

Edler Brogan (Impressive season I want to see what he can do in Stetchers spot.)

Tryamkin Myers 

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

I would rather just re up Papa Tanev. 

I do worry about our prospects and young players, if and when Tanev finally leaves.

Chris and Kendra are basically the billet parents for every young Canucks player. 

Don’t know how those kids are gonna keep themselves fed without regular dinners at “Dad’s” place.

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Pretty much this.

With Tanev:

Edler Stecher

Hughes Tanev

Tyramkin Myers

Without Tanev:

Edler Stecher

Hughes Myers

Benn Tryamkin

Not the best looking D but we’d save around 3 mil from letting Tanev walk. The first core is obviously better it comes down to cap space.

IMO Benning has to think 2-3 years out. The interim years are about developing the d-core to be serious CUP contenders. 3 years out and the only players I still see with the club is Hughes, Myers and Tryamkin if he is signed. Maybe Edler for his vet presence as a 6D or 7D. That will be a major transition and suggest that Benning will try and deal for another top 4 or sign a UFA. 

• Thanks 1