The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

I don’t think we’ll see a signing until the cap is announced for next season and our current UFA contracts expire.

No real rush to sign him right now as he can’t play this season.

4 hours ago, Slegr said:

Correct... this is exactly why we need Tryamkin, stat. We're a few weeks away from playing the Wild, with guys like Jordan Greenway coming down hard on our defense. 

Edler is one back spasm away from the press box, Tanev's career of taking hits-to-make-plays often leaves him injured, which forces guys like 5'10 Stecher to play top 4 minutes against power forwards like 6'6 Greenway.  I'm still very perplexed why we haven't signed this guy yet. 

I read an interesting stat the other day (can't remember where - Kuzma, maybe?) ....

In 71 mins of ice time being paired together (equating to 5 games at 16 mins per game - although obviously fewer minutes in more games) Stecher and Fantenberg were never scored on.

Not sure what that says but it did intrigue me

Ah - found it  ... The Daily Hive:

Oscar Fantenberg – Troy Stecher 

EV TOI: 72:40
CF%: 47.3%
xGF%: 41%

It’s a bit of a turtle race to decide who plays with Troy Stecher on the third pairing, but the slight nod goes to Fantenberg. Benn and Stecher had their struggles together, while this suggestion has less of a track record together.

Some of the defensive numbers aren’t great, but it’s worth noting that the pair hasn’t been on the ice for a goal against. They’re both good puck movers and they’ve allowed fewer scoring chances than all the Canucks pairings that don’t include Hughes.

Here's the link to the full article;

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/best-canucks-defence-pairs

Edited by Googlie
  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Sedinery 1
3 hours ago, stawns said:

if he stays healthy, Tanev is currently a better dman than Try will likely ever be.  That's a big "if" though

Assuming we can afford Tanev that is?

I have argued elsewhere that Tanev should be prioritized above Pearson & Toffoli. Above all our free agents except (maybe) Markstrom. 

The $1 mill, see Bartkowski, and $2 mill, see Jprdie Benn, D men have not made us a better team,

• Hydration 1
1 hour ago, hammertime said:

2m x 1 year is the max from me.  If he's worth more he needs to prove it. 

Pretty much this.

He can take Benn’s money since I don’t think we can justify having him as a number 7 making 2 mil. A trade will likely have to be made there unless we let Tanev walk.

With Tanev:

Edler Stecher

Hughes Tanev

Tyramkin Myers

Without Tanev:

Edler Stecher

Hughes Myers

Benn Tryamkin

Not the best looking D but we’d save around 3 mil from letting Tanev walk. The first core is obviously better it comes down to cap space.

Edited by DeNiro
26 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Pretty much this.

He can take Benn’s money since I don’t think we can justify having him as a number 7 making 2 mil. A trade will likely have to be made there unless we let Tanev walk.

Edler Stecher

Hughes Myers

Benn Tryamkin

Not the best looking D but we’d save around 3 mil from letting Tanev walk.

If JB has to pay a hefty price to acquire a player who is only a marginal improvement on Tanev I would rather just re up Papa Tanev. 

Hughes Tanev/Other

Edler Brogan (Impressive season I want to see what he can do in Stetchers spot.)

Tryamkin Myers 

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

I would rather just re up Papa Tanev. 

I do worry about our prospects and young players, if and when Tanev finally leaves.

Chris and Kendra are basically the billet parents for every young Canucks player. 

Don’t know how those kids are gonna keep themselves fed without regular dinners at “Dad’s” place.

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Pretty much this.

With Tanev:

Edler Stecher

Hughes Tanev

Tyramkin Myers

Without Tanev:

Edler Stecher

Hughes Myers

Benn Tryamkin

Not the best looking D but we’d save around 3 mil from letting Tanev walk. The first core is obviously better it comes down to cap space.

IMO Benning has to think 2-3 years out. The interim years are about developing the d-core to be serious CUP contenders. 3 years out and the only players I still see with the club is Hughes, Myers and Tryamkin if he is signed. Maybe Edler for his vet presence as a 6D or 7D. That will be a major transition and suggest that Benning will try and deal for another top 4 or sign a UFA. 

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Silly.

Teams pushing to make the playoffs don't trade their best defensive D man lol.

If he’s our best, then there is lots to worry about. Lol.

... and less to worry about a guy that isn’t signed yet.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Thanks 1

Would love for Tryamkin to come back. But, I don't know if he'll want to be a 6th or 7th defenseman.
Maybe he has matured over the time he has been away, and learned more English.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think he’s a better player today too, than when he left. More mature, more seasoned, more experienced, more committed to his fitness, wiser to the expectations in the NHL, etc. 

I just don’t feel like he’s raised his value all that much. Generally speaking, when guys go over to Europe, they don’t add significant NHL value, as far as next contracts, unless they post eye-popping numbers, or show a significant upward trajectory. 

I agree there are reasons for optimism. And I’ve been pretty consistent in batting down claims by folks that seek to portray Tryamkin in the most negative light, whether that’s his “entitlement issues” or his quality of play. I’ve been a backer of Nik, over the past three seasons. And I still am.

It just irks me to see people thinking we should just throw $3-4 million at Tryamkin, when it shouldn’t be necessary to spend anywhere near that much to get him back here. Sure, the rumours coming out suggest he wants $3+ million. Those are “feelers” coming from his camp. It’s an agent’s job to start high in any negotiation. Management starts low, and they meet in the middle.

I guess it just rubs me the wrong way to see folks saying, just give Tryamkin his asking price and whatever term he wants. Why? This is not a player with that kind of negotiating power. Nowhere near it.

And as far as the “we’re only talking about a difference of $1 million” argument, that money does matter. Every salary matters. Every negotiation matters. Paying too much for one player affects the next negotiation. It affects the overall salary structure. Certainly, in isolation, paying a million over market value on a single player will not break the bank. But habitually paying over market will significantly impact team building in a cap system. It’s management’s job to get the best value possible out of contracts. And I’m hopeful they will, in the case of Tryamkin.

Then the argument should be that 6 mil is too much for Edler,  and the thought of paying Tanev 5+ m per in UFA is eye rolling..
.. and don’t get me started on Dead head Eriksson.

The truth is we are arguing over a million dollars because of the above players and the Luongo Shtick.

So Tryamkin takes the heat over a difference of a million dollars because of other mis givings.

Lets scrutinize what is truly disproportionate,

the top end and the lack of attrition,

not the bottom end and the real future.

.. 2m for one season would put NT into UFA.

by then he will have proved himself to be worth 4+ per..

3 mil is close to appropriate for anything around to a 2-4 year deal.

I think the beginning of next season it’s without Tanev, signing him to anything long term is going to bite.. so is anything over what he already makes.. he is over rated.

This team is long over due to be bringing its D prospects in to play.

Rafferty as a 25 year old will do fine.

Rathbone might be another sweet surprise like Hughes.

Breisboise is chomping at the bit.

again, I’m sure Tryamkin just wants to play, and what ever amount he signs for is probably more concerning for us than what it needs to be.

There are bigger fish to fry.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think he’s a better player today too, than when he left. More mature, more seasoned, more experienced, more committed to his fitness, wiser to the expectations in the NHL, etc. 

I just don’t feel like he’s raised his value all that much. Generally speaking, when guys go over to Europe, they don’t add significant NHL value, as far as next contracts, unless they post eye-popping numbers, or show a significant upward trajectory. 

I agree there are reasons for optimism. And I’ve been pretty consistent in batting down claims by folks that seek to portray Tryamkin in the most negative light, whether that’s his “entitlement issues” or his quality of play. I’ve been a backer of Nik, over the past three seasons. And I still am.

It just irks me to see people thinking we should just throw $3-4 million at Tryamkin, when it shouldn’t be necessary to spend anywhere near that much to get him back here. Sure, the rumours coming out suggest he wants $3+ million. Those are “feelers” coming from his camp. It’s an agent’s job to start high in any negotiation. Management starts low, and they meet in the middle.

I guess it just rubs me the wrong way to see folks saying, just give Tryamkin his asking price and whatever term he wants. Why? This is not a player with that kind of negotiating power. Nowhere near it.

And as far as the “we’re only talking about a difference of $1 million” argument, that money does matter. Every salary matters. Every negotiation matters. Paying too much for one player affects the next negotiation. It affects the overall salary structure. Certainly, in isolation, paying a million over market value on a single player will not break the bank. But habitually paying over market will significantly impact team building in a cap system. It’s management’s job to get the best value possible out of contracts. And I’m hopeful they will, in the case of Tryamkin.

do you know what is irking me, Sid?

People have ear marked Tryamkin as a #6 or #7

When training camp is where that is determined

My opinion he will get a 2 to 4 year deal in the 2.5 to 3.5 Million per

With the 2 Million coming on the shorter deal and the 3.5 coming on a 3 or 4 year deal

IMO, the problem is the Max. Cap and how it impacts the Canucks

6 Million has to come off the Team cap...………..

Either a compliance buy out or not signing one of Toffoli, Tanev, or Markstrom

The whole league is paralyzed with the lack of what will happen

To me, the league should move on this soon...…….....

As it makes sense to announce it now so that teams can start planning

As I understand it...……..

1. 24 man round robin (Starts in late June ?)

2. draft ( should come early September )

3. free agency. (should come shortly thereafter ???)

4. 2 week rest

5. Training camp (late September)

6. League start up for the 2020 - 2021 season (Early October)

7. League shut down (Early November)

And somewhere in there Tryamkin has to decide whether he waits or re-signs in the KHL)

• Upvote 1