The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Pretty sure Benning is telling Nik’s camp to wait..   besides Russia isn’t thinking hockey yet as this Virus is setting in hard at this time.. be lucky if Nik could find a flight out in July , unless it’s private.

Im with you on the Leagues Buisness Jan,  why not up the buy outs to 3 per team..  you don’t necessarily have to use them,. But it allows the game to shape to younger players, and the fact that some RFA signings are become the big money, prime age bracket for players.

There are so many things right now that would make sense to establish or talk about to evolve the game for its betterment. 

Do you honestly believe team owners, who are already taking massive losses, are going to willingly hand 3 blank cheques per team to GM’s to compound their losses? I’d be amazed if there’s even 1 buyout if the cap stays level.  If it drops you may see one per team. But 3? Not a chance in hell 

8 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Do you honestly believe team owners, who are already taking massive losses, are going to willingly hand 3 blank cheques per team to GM’s to compound their losses? I’d be amazed if there’s even 1 buyout if the cap stays level.  If it drops you may see one per team. But 3? Not a chance in hell 

“ Teams” are probably showing losses..  they have historically always tried to like any Buisness..

Thats not to say that Entrepreneurial Owners feel it the same way.

Like I said Q , you hypothetically could have 3 buy outs but not necessarily use them.

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

“ Teams” are probably showing losses..  they have historically always tried to like any Buisness..

Thats not to say that Entrepreneurial Owners feel it the same way.

Like I said Q , you hypothetically could have 3 buy outs but not necessarily use them.

I don’t see it happening. Time will tell. But if the cap doesn’t drop I can’t see owners handing blank cheque’s to GM’s who screwed the pooch and signed bad contracts. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

I don’t see it happening. Time will tell. But if the cap doesn’t drop I can’t see owners handing blank cheque’s to GM’s who screwed the pooch and signed bad contracts. 

It seems it is a bit of dilemma for a few clubs,.  I think it has to do more with the evolution of the game..  it will be rare to see a player over 32 years of age playing in the NHL in 3 years.  These young men are thoroughly equipped, and the skill level is on the roof.. I saw video 3 years ago of kids in Russia training and skating with the puck like it was the Cirques de Solei ..

Pretty easy to see that Sevechnikov might get at least 25 goals in his career lacrosse style, behind the net..  Hoglander could be another.

Its a younger man’s game,.  It will need a vets presence mentally,. But older guys are feeling the push to pasture.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

Chances are with the current market conditions, they're already taking massive losses from their stock portfolios as well as their regular business operations outside of sports teams.  

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Provost said:

No, people are saying that is what he should get paid as since he hasn’t proven anything else.

If he can progress to something more then everyone is happy.

The reports are that his camp is only looking for a 1 “show me” year deal.

Well, I get that too

But Tryamkin is not a rookie that is just coming out of the NCAA with no credentials

He is a professional hockey player that has played NHL hockey, and that was 

reportedly offered 2 Million per, which he declined

Now he is a 5 year pro, who has proving to be a very good defensive player in the KHL

who has shown to have matured.

IMO, if you take the 2 Million, and pro-rate that amount today, I think you are upwards of 3 million

Not to mention that with escrow, what ever make will be halved...…(estimate)

Which means he would around 1.5 Million on a 3 million contract here,

compared to a approx. 1 million contract over there, which would pay a lot less tax,

and where the cost of living is much less. 

This is not a Tryamkin problem, but a club problem, because they have to compete with that.

This is why Tryamkin's camp wants a 1 year deal, because "IF" he signs here on a 1 year deal

and knocks it out of the park, which I believe he does to some extent, then he has a chance at a big number contract,

which is fair, if you think about it.

If he sucks, he goes back after a year, and still lives an extravagant life as a KHL player.

Benning on the other hand, wants his cake and eat it too.....low average and multiple years

Personally, 2.5 to 3.5 is a fair deal, especially when Hutton got a 2.8 million for 2 years, 2 years ago with the Canucks

If you think about it in these times, a 4 year @ 3.5 million seems fair...maybe not towards the cap, but for the player

And really not far from where Stetcher will come out at (my estimate is he would get 3.25 to 3.75 in arbitration)

And far less than what Tanev will come out at (My bet will be 5.25 to 5.5 on the open market)

Good luck Jimbo!

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Personally, I think something has to give, Q.

I agree with you that 3 is too many, and with the fact that Seattle is slated to come in soon, I think Seattle would also be complaining, as teams would be buying out 

contracts with NTC's and protect another young player or 2, so I don't see it being 3, but 1, I could see

In saying that, the owners will have to do something with the CBA to avoid these teams collecting old contracts for LTIR, and something to stop teams from signing

from signing extended contracts when they come out of RFA years...…...It just seems silly that every year, teams are handcuffed with older players that still have 

3 or 4 years left on their contracts, but have completely regressed in their ability.

No doubt it is the Gm's and owners greed to have the best team, but every year it is the same story...…..maybe something along the lines of a ELC, where after 28 years of age, players can only sign 3 year deals...….If you think about it, it is kind of the reverse of young ELC coming into the league after 28, as you know at some point they will regress, the question is when?

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well, I get that too

But Tryamkin is not a rookie that is just coming out of the NCAA with no credentials

He is a professional hockey player that has played NHL hockey, and that was 

reportedly offered 2 Million per, which he declined

Now he is a 5 year pro, who has proving to be a very good defensive player in the KHL

who has shown to have matured.

IMO, if you take the 2 Million, and pro-rate that amount today, I think you are upwards of 3 million

Not to mention that with escrow, what ever make will be halved...…(estimate)

Which means he would around 1.5 Million on a 3 million contract here,

compared to a approx. 1 million contract over there, which would pay a lot less tax,

and where the cost of living is much less. 

This is not a Tryamkin problem, but a club problem, because they have to compete with that.

This is why Tryamkin's camp wants a 1 year deal, because "IF" he signs here on a 1 year deal

and knocks it out of the park, which I believe he does to some extent, then he has a chance at a big number contract,

which is fair, if you think about it.

If he sucks, he goes back after a year, and still lives an extravagant life as a KHL player.

Benning on the other hand, wants his cake and eat it too.....low average and multiple years

Personally, 2.5 to 3.5 is a fair deal, especially when Hutton got a 2.8 million for 2 years, 2 years ago with the Canucks

If you think about it in these times, a 4 year @ 3.5 million seems fair...maybe not towards the cap, but for the player

And really not far from where Stetcher will come out at (my estimate is he would get 3.25 to 3.75 in arbitration)

And far less than what Tanev will come out at (My bet will be 5.25 to 5.5 on the open market)

Good luck Jimbo!

I am a huge Tryamkin fan, but he was a 3rd pairing raw player with really bad stats in his last stint in the NHL.  He is an average defenceman in the KHL which is a much lower level league.  There are pages of star KHL players who couldn’t make in the NHL.

He hasn’t proven anything in the NHL aside from showing he had some potential.  The league is also a lot faster than when he played last so he could end up being legitimately terrible and a downgrade from Benn.  We don’t know.

The KHL is putting in a cap and is also having the same financial issues everyone else is.  KHL players are fleeing the league for the greener pastures of the NHL.  The KHL cap is going to be under $12 million compared with $80 million for the NHL.  Tryamkin will almost certainly go backwards in his KHL salary rather than forward.

A 1 year deal at $2 million pays him 2-4 times what he would get in the KHL, depending on escrow and exchange rates.  It is perfectly fair and he can earn himself a longer term contract next year at higher dollar amount if he shows he can be an NHL player.

19 minutes ago, Provost said:

I am a huge Tryamkin fan, but he was a 3rd pairing raw player with really bad stats in his last stint in the NHL.  He is an average defenceman in the KHL which is a much lower level league.  There are pages of star KHL players who couldn’t make in the NHL.

He hasn’t proven anything in the NHL aside from showing he had some potential.  The league is also a lot faster than when he played last so he could end up being legitimately terrible and a downgrade from Benn.  We don’t know.

The KHL is putting in a cap and is also having the same financial issues everyone else is.  KHL players are fleeing the league for the greener pastures of the NHL.  The KHL cap is going to be under $12 million compared with $80 million for the NHL.  Tryamkin will almost certainly go backwards in his KHL salary rather than forward.

A 1 year deal at $2 million pays him 2-4 times what he would get in the KHL, depending on escrow and exchange rates.  It is perfectly fair and he can earn himself a longer term contract next year at higher dollar amount if he shows he can be an NHL player.

Provost, where are you getting he was a average player in the KHL from? He was an all-star and a captain/assistant captain on his team. He is more a defensive defenseman for sure, but in no way is he average.

As for his 2 years in Vancouver, it really was only 1 full year, and was really considered a rookie by all accounts. Even in saying that, when you look at the first half of his second year, it was a learning period, if you look at his second half of his last year, he played much better, and was counted on a lot. His play actually actually caused teams to design zone entries to the other side, when he was on the ice.

I am amazed this still needs to be stated.

The real question, is not whether he has improved or regressed, because I do not see that as the issue (nor does Benning), but rather, what is his  contract numbers. What will he be paid and for how long? It has been stated that he wants a 1 year deal......that is because he actually believes in himself...…...IMO, Benning is wanting a longer one, with more certainty, because he believes the same thing.

But really, I don't know why Tryamkin's play in the KHL is an issue in any way...…...are you not a better, more rounded, and mature guy, then you were at 22 years old?

This is where experience, maturity, development, type of game, etc comes into play...…...Tryamkin did not know himself at 22 years of age...….much like most 22 year olds.

Your comments really baffles me?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

That Cap number for the KHL is similar to the money that has historically been paid out by teams.  

The fact that they are implementing a Cap is to even out the Leagues playing field, and away from the back pocket cash to some players that end up stacked on certain clubs.

They actually played into the 3rd or 4th round of playoffs this year before they stopped playing, which might be better than the NHL’s situation .

I have heard nothing of players “fleeing”..  I try to follow @IgorEronko on Twitter, usually finds the top stories and changes the KHL is making. He is established , well known, and has a good relationship with Tryamkin. he was one of the first writers 2 years ago report of the KHL reducing Ice size and implementing a future Cap.

Thats all about to change as he has just been hired as the Assistant GM of Avanguardomsk HC

Ive heard of more scouts following the talent in Russia, as the KHL seems more receptive to this, and wants to establish a better relationship with the NHL.  A report at Christmas stated they would like to create better relationships with contracts and player rights.

It dosent matter what anyone gets paid in another league before the arrive to the NHL.  That is predjudicious,.  And would do no service for players presently playing in the NHL..  if you get to the NHL , “GET”..  you play the game in such a way that other professionals in that industry are opinionated enough to offer you a contract.

... For Tryamkin,  that happened 3 years ago.    It was a 2 year ELC at 925k per. 

13 games in his first short season, 66 games in his 2nd.

He proved himself then, and he was offered a 2yr, 2m per before he left.

This time he will be offered a fair contract, one that works for the Club, and the player.

The bigger picture here is the players who are, or who are not playing in the NHL ,  who are either not capable of playing up to their contract, or whose tenure in the NHL still Effects a teams Cap Space after they are retired.

Eriksson / Luongo.     9m + per?  

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, SilentSam said:

It seems it is a bit of dilemma for a few clubs,.  I think it has to do more with the evolution of the game..  it will be rare to see a player over 32 years of age playing in the NHL in 3 years.  These young men are thoroughly equipped, and the skill level is on the roof.. I saw video 3 years ago of kids in Russia training and skating with the puck like it was the Cirques de Solei ..

Pretty easy to see that Sevechnikov might get at least 25 goals in his career lacrosse style, behind the net..  Hoglander could be another.

Its a younger man’s game,.  It will need a vets presence mentally,. But older guys are feeling the push to pasture.

Not that I disagree the league is certainly a younger mans game than it ever has been in the past however most cup winning teams do so with a veteran group. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Not that I disagree the league is certainly a younger mans game than it ever has been in the past however most cup winning teams do so with a veteran group. 

Yes, absolutely,.   But that is the mental wear and tear that those guys shine in,  fortitude,  cunning,  those longer in the tooth that can play recognize a weakness to prey on,   Or to find a motivating factor to uplift their own.

Need to sign Tryamkin to 1 year deal 3 mil then see if he is good or not. If he is give him a multi year deal at 5 mil or trade him for something of equal value. If he impresses' but wont sign trade him for a young D man that will be a stud.  I would not sign Stecher to any contract, package him for picks and move on .Rafferty can fill his space for less and be better at it.

• Vintage 1

Keep in mind that UFC couldn't make one of the most anticipated fights in their history happen because Khabib Nurmagomedov is in Russia.  

I wouldn't hold my breath on getting Tryamkin here until next year. 

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Keep in mind that UFC couldn't make one of the most anticipated fights in their history happen because Khabib Nurmagomedov is in Russia.  

next year? the decision on what happens in terms of his future with the Canucks will be made this year

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

To be clear, all signings right now are for next season... not this one.

They don’t plan on starting next season until December or January so that they have the best chance of getting bits in actual seats and making money.

On 5/25/2020 at 12:33 AM, SilentSam said:

yet it's veteran teams who win Cups

6 hours ago, stawns said:

yet it's veteran teams who win Cups

Horvat is a vet, Boeser is a vet,..  to me anybody after 3 years is a vet ..  the rest is chemistry...  don’t let those long beards fool you.

If J Thornton cut his off he’d probably feel like he was 29 again ;)