The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

5 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Lately it's the bigger teams that are winning cups.

2 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Yeah, that happens when the rules are thrown out the window and the officials largely get to determine the outcomes due to non-calls.

.... seems to happen every year Ray,  and has historically.

Big teams wear down opponents.

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Horvat is a vet, Boeser is a vet,..  to me anybody after 3 years is a vet ..  the rest is chemistry...  don’t let those long beards fool you.

If J Thornton cut his off he’d probably feel like he was 29 again ;) 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/05/03/joe-thornton-reveals-he-shaved-his-beard-with-help-from-daughter/amp/

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Yeah, that happens when the rules are thrown out the window and the officials largely get to determine the outcomes due to non-calls.

That's the best hockey to watch, even if it cost the Canucks the Cup.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, stawns said:

That's the best hockey to watch, even if it cost the Canucks the Cup.

Yeah, every sport should learn a lesson from that and play without rules. Then they could just call any sport ‘Mayhem’. Don’t know if you’ve ever entertained the thought that sports are defined by their rules - when you throw away the rules, you throw away everything that makes hockey a sport. 

23 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Yeah, every sport should learn a lesson from that and play without rules. Then they could just call any sport ‘Mayhem’. Don’t know if you’ve ever entertained the thought that sports are defined by their rules - when you throw away the rules, you throw away everything that makes hockey a sport. 

I think everyone's played pick up basketball without refs. All elbows and knees. Or tackle football without refs where anything goes. Sports can get harsh everywhere. 

6 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Watch his game change for the better now ;) 

Probably a bit faster now without the wind drag on the beard. Might even see him in the ASG fastest skater comp. :P Seriously, that thing had to have weighed a solid pound, lol

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I'd way rather watch a game played mostly 5v5 than special teams.  Nothing more boring than powerplay after powerplay after powerplay.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

52 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd way rather watch a game played mostly 5v5 than special teams.  Nothing more boring than powerplay after powerplay after powerplay.

The best games are the ones where the whistles are pocketed.

Other than plays that are potentially harmful, teams should be given more rope to determine the outcome themselves.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I agree, to a point. I love watching games where teams play hard, intense, physical hockey, but within the rules. And there’s no better game than one with long stretches of uninterrupted play, and a smooth flow to the action. But the rule book is there for a reason, and the best hockey is the game that’s played within those rules. If teams get so out of hand that they’re disrespecting the game, I’d rather see a parade to the penalty box, than the refs pocketing the whistles and letting things get completely out of hand. Not a fan of-tit-for-tat “makeup” calls and “game management” stuff, either. Just call the game fairly, and have the guts to hold dirty teams responsible, even if that means given the other team a 10-to-1 PP advantage. Even if it means power plays “decide” a playoff game. Ultimately, it’s the undisciplined teams that are deciding their own fate by playing outside the rules and suffering the consequences (or it should be, it the refs aren’t too chicken**** to hold dirty teams responsible).

I agree, that's where (gasp) game management is so important.  Games with officials who know how to maintain the flow, but keep it safe are the standard, imo.

19 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think everyone's played pick up basketball without refs. All elbows and knees. Or tackle football without refs where anything goes. Sports can get harsh everywhere. 

Yeah, it can be, but hardly anybody watches a pickup basketball, football or hockey game - cuz it resembles exactly what I called it: mayhem - pretty much unwatchable. Archery and shooting are sports too, doesn’t mean the competitors should shoot each other.

On 5/26/2020 at 8:51 PM, SilentSam said:

.... seems to happen every year Ray,  and has historically.

Big teams wear down opponents.

Yeah, and the epitome of that was the New Jersey era, when hockey became unwatchable and the league had to act to save the pro game from the half empty arenas. Of course, the good thing was that I could buy $7.50 tickets from Safeway to watch the Canucks...

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Pete M said:

So can Tryamkin play in the playoffs if he signs?

Yes, for the playoffs but not necessarily for the play in round against Minnesota.

If they defeat Minnesota then they are in the playoffs.

For the sake of ease consider this round the last five games of the season with one team 2 points ahead of the other. First to win three advances or qualifies due to point totals.

And not affect the cap for this season.

Edited by Lazurus
  • Cheers 2

26 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

Yes, for the playoffs but not necessarily for the play in round against Minnesota.

If they defeat Minnesota then they are in the playoffs.

For the sake of ease consider this round the last five games of the season with one team 2 points ahead of the other. First to win three advances or qualifies due to point totals.

And not affect the cap for this season.

He can't sign for this season.  His contract can only start next year.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mll said:

He can't sign for this season.  His contract can only start next year.

He would have been eligible to sign IF the Canucks were still playing in playoffs, he could have been signed May 1 and if the team was still playing he could.

Actually if he had bought out the last two weeks or earlier he could have been signed and played as soon as his KHL contract was terminated or ended. It is odd because there is no agreements between the NHL and KHL to prevent signing while still under contract but the NHL doesn't do that.

Other threads in this post talk about this.

Theoretically if the Canucks defeat Minnesota he could play the rest of the playoffs

Just heard on the radio that this is still up in the air, the NHLPA wants KHL players to be able to play immediately but they are eligible for playoffs.

Edited by Lazurus