The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

1 hour ago, Provost said:

I am a huge Tryamkin fan, but he was a 3rd pairing raw player with really bad stats in his last stint in the NHL.  He is an average defenceman in the KHL which is a much lower level league.  There are pages of star KHL players who couldn’t make in the NHL.

He hasn’t proven anything in the NHL aside from showing he had some potential.  The league is also a lot faster than when he played last so he could end up being legitimately terrible and a downgrade from Benn.  We don’t know.

The KHL is putting in a cap and is also having the same financial issues everyone else is.  KHL players are fleeing the league for the greener pastures of the NHL.  The KHL cap is going to be under $12 million compared with $80 million for the NHL.  Tryamkin will almost certainly go backwards in his KHL salary rather than forward.

A 1 year deal at $2 million pays him 2-4 times what he would get in the KHL, depending on escrow and exchange rates.  It is perfectly fair and he can earn himself a longer term contract next year at higher dollar amount if he shows he can be an NHL player.

That Cap number for the KHL is similar to the money that has historically been paid out by teams.  

The fact that they are implementing a Cap is to even out the Leagues playing field, and away from the back pocket cash to some players that end up stacked on certain clubs.

They actually played into the 3rd or 4th round of playoffs this year before they stopped playing, which might be better than the NHL’s situation .

I have heard nothing of players “fleeing”..  I try to follow @IgorEronko on Twitter, usually finds the top stories and changes the KHL is making. He is established , well known, and has a good relationship with Tryamkin. he was one of the first writers 2 years ago report of the KHL reducing Ice size and implementing a future Cap.

Thats all about to change as he has just been hired as the Assistant GM of Avanguardomsk HC

Ive heard of more scouts following the talent in Russia, as the KHL seems more receptive to this, and wants to establish a better relationship with the NHL.  A report at Christmas stated they would like to create better relationships with contracts and player rights.

It dosent matter what anyone gets paid in another league before the arrive to the NHL.  That is predjudicious,.  And would do no service for players presently playing in the NHL..  if you get to the NHL , “GET”..  you play the game in such a way that other professionals in that industry are opinionated enough to offer you a contract.

... For Tryamkin,  that happened 3 years ago.    It was a 2 year ELC at 925k per. 

13 games in his first short season, 66 games in his 2nd.

He proved himself then, and he was offered a 2yr, 2m per before he left.

This time he will be offered a fair contract, one that works for the Club, and the player.

The bigger picture here is the players who are, or who are not playing in the NHL ,  who are either not capable of playing up to their contract, or whose tenure in the NHL still Effects a teams Cap Space after they are retired.

Eriksson / Luongo.     9m + per?  

Edited by SilentSam
  • Hydration 1

11 hours ago, SilentSam said:

It seems it is a bit of dilemma for a few clubs,.  I think it has to do more with the evolution of the game..  it will be rare to see a player over 32 years of age playing in the NHL in 3 years.  These young men are thoroughly equipped, and the skill level is on the roof.. I saw video 3 years ago of kids in Russia training and skating with the puck like it was the Cirques de Solei ..

Pretty easy to see that Sevechnikov might get at least 25 goals in his career lacrosse style, behind the net..  Hoglander could be another.

Its a younger man’s game,.  It will need a vets presence mentally,. But older guys are feeling the push to pasture.

Not that I disagree the league is certainly a younger mans game than it ever has been in the past however most cup winning teams do so with a veteran group. 

• Hydration 1

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Not that I disagree the league is certainly a younger mans game than it ever has been in the past however most cup winning teams do so with a veteran group. 

Yes, absolutely,.   But that is the mental wear and tear that those guys shine in,  fortitude,  cunning,  those longer in the tooth that can play recognize a weakness to prey on,   Or to find a motivating factor to uplift their own.

Need to sign Tryamkin to 1 year deal 3 mil then see if he is good or not. If he is give him a multi year deal at 5 mil or trade him for something of equal value. If he impresses' but wont sign trade him for a young D man that will be a stud.  I would not sign Stecher to any contract, package him for picks and move on .Rafferty can fill his space for less and be better at it.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Keep in mind that UFC couldn't make one of the most anticipated fights in their history happen because Khabib Nurmagomedov is in Russia.  

I wouldn't hold my breath on getting Tryamkin here until next year. 

next year? the decision on what happens in terms of his future with the Canucks will be made this year

Edited by hammertime
  • Hydration 1

13 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Keep in mind that UFC couldn't make one of the most anticipated fights in their history happen because Khabib Nurmagomedov is in Russia.  

I wouldn't hold my breath on getting Tryamkin here until next year. 

To be clear, all signings right now are for next season... not this one.

They don’t plan on starting next season until December or January so that they have the best chance of getting bits in actual seats and making money.

On 5/25/2020 at 12:33 AM, SilentSam said:

It seems it is a bit of dilemma for a few clubs,.  I think it has to do more with the evolution of the game..  it will be rare to see a player over 32 years of age playing in the NHL in 3 years.  These young men are thoroughly equipped, and the skill level is on the roof.. I saw video 3 years ago of kids in Russia training and skating with the puck like it was the Cirques de Solei ..

Pretty easy to see that Sevechnikov might get at least 25 goals in his career lacrosse style, behind the net..  Hoglander could be another.

Its a younger man’s game,.  It will need a vets presence mentally,. But older guys are feeling the push to pasture.

yet it's veteran teams who win Cups

6 hours ago, stawns said:

yet it's veteran teams who win Cups

Horvat is a vet, Boeser is a vet,..  to me anybody after 3 years is a vet ..  the rest is chemistry...  don’t let those long beards fool you.

If J Thornton cut his off he’d probably feel like he was 29 again ;) 

5 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Lately it's the bigger teams that are winning cups.

2 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Yeah, that happens when the rules are thrown out the window and the officials largely get to determine the outcomes due to non-calls.

.... seems to happen every year Ray,  and has historically.

Big teams wear down opponents.

• Hydration 1

33 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Horvat is a vet, Boeser is a vet,..  to me anybody after 3 years is a vet ..  the rest is chemistry...  don’t let those long beards fool you.

If J Thornton cut his off he’d probably feel like he was 29 again ;) 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/05/03/joe-thornton-reveals-he-shaved-his-beard-with-help-from-daughter/amp/

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Yeah, that happens when the rules are thrown out the window and the officials largely get to determine the outcomes due to non-calls.

That's the best hockey to watch, even if it cost the Canucks the Cup.

• Hydration 1

4 hours ago, stawns said:

That's the best hockey to watch, even if it cost the Canucks the Cup.

Yeah, every sport should learn a lesson from that and play without rules. Then they could just call any sport ‘Mayhem’. Don’t know if you’ve ever entertained the thought that sports are defined by their rules - when you throw away the rules, you throw away everything that makes hockey a sport. 

23 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Yeah, every sport should learn a lesson from that and play without rules. Then they could just call any sport ‘Mayhem’. Don’t know if you’ve ever entertained the thought that sports are defined by their rules - when you throw away the rules, you throw away everything that makes hockey a sport. 

I think everyone's played pick up basketball without refs. All elbows and knees. Or tackle football without refs where anything goes. Sports can get harsh everywhere.