The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

It’s within this SN article Theo.....  I cant seem to paste the link.

Quick Shifts: Anger, trade speculation swirls in Buffalo”

The National Hockey League is a world of moving pieces. I want to coach Risto next season,” Krueger said.

Ristolainen said he wants to win “if it’s in Buffalo or somewhere else” and realizes losing necessitates change.

“If changes will happen, I know I’m one of the first ones probably who is going to get traded. It’s part of the business and I’m ready, whatever happens. I have really enjoyed my time in Buffalo. It’s home for me,” said Ristolainen, who has begun wondering what a winning culture even looks like.

“I haven’t really seen it before or in Buffalo. I think this year we built our culture a little bit better than previous years,” he went on. 

“We are young. I don’t know if a lot of guys have been in winning teams or winning organizations. Personally, I haven’t. Unfortunately, the team I played for when I was back in Finland it was in the same position, coach got fired every year, players got traded, GM got fired, so I don’t really know what is it. I haven’t seen it. I wish.” 

If Buffalo was serious about trying to win, they wouldn't trade Ristolainen, it just doesn't make sense to me. So unless Risto is actually requesting out (which he may be as he has sort of done in the past and seems defeated there based on that article), they should be building around him (and Eichel of course).

Reading that article makes me appreciate Benning's effort toward turning this team around relatively quickly and putting the importance on trying to make the playoffs, even if it means trading a 1st for a ready now player and signing important vets to shield the young players (even if it costs a bit more to do so). Also the tank nation crowd should look at that culture and how defeating it is on the players.

• Cheers 2

53 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

If Buffalo was serious about trying to win, they wouldn't trade Ristolainen, it just doesn't make sense to me. So unless Risto is actually requesting out (which he may be as he has sort of done in the past and seems defeated there based on that article), they should be building around him (and Eichel of course).

Reading that article makes me appreciate Benning's effort toward turning this team around relatively quickly and putting the importance on trying to make the playoffs, even if it means trading a 1st for a ready now player and signing important vets to shield the young players (even if it costs a bit more to do so). Also the tank nation crowd should look at that culture and how defeating it is on the players.

I beleive about 3 years ago, Benning was trying to have serious conversations with Boterhil about acquiring E Kane.

Something I thought would have been a perfect piece for Vancouver.  A lot of posters were against it given the swirl of charges that Kane faced in Buffalo.

To me that had more to do with the Culture than the player.   Kane has strong family ties here, trains with his Father every off season.

Boterhil wanted far more than just C Tanev at that time,. Far more..  so Benning rightfully stepped away.

just seems that Buffalo has this cloud over it at times,.  Something I don’t think Boterhil has ever addressed..  always seems like every player is on a punch card/ clock in that city..  show up for work,. And then go home,..  I  have Never hear of a true culture there.

we should feel very proud of our franchise and how it is part of this city.

Shows you what being involved with the city you Sport in, helps to evolve and characterize that city, and vice versa.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Dillon still looks like the cheaper alternative.  No Boeser or Virt involved. 

We might need them to trade for a goalie in 2 years.

Doubt we'll need a goalie in two years for starters. 

As for cheaper, cheaper isn't always better, if it doesn't fit your needs. And signing him would likely mean no Tryamkin (and/or others). Only so much cap space (hence why we'd need to send some out).

As much as I'd happily add Dillon, we don't really need more bottom pair D depth either. Particularly of the likely higher cap variety that Dillon is bound to be. We have Tryamkin + kids to cycle through there on lower cost deals the next few years. And as they advance/require pay raises, hopefully Edler going the other way.

What we do need, is a younger, top 4 RHD to play alongside Hughes for the next decade +/-. That's likely coming via trade. 'Cost' in trade or not.

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think a top 4 D is hard to trade for and expensive to trade for. I'm hoping Rathbaby will help and/or Woo.

Or we get lucky with another  Miller type  trade.

Tryamkin

Rafferty

Rathbone

Woo

Juolevi

are 5 very good defence prospects with top 4 potential. Surely a couple of them will hit

• Upvote 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Tryamkin

Rafferty

Rathbone

Woo

Juolevi

are 5 very good defence prospects with top 4 potential. Surely a couple of them will hit

God were due for a defenseman to break out. Hutton was forever ago.

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Yep. Defencemen are so hard to predict when you are selecting them as 17/18 year olds. So much is about hockey IQ and ability to read plays, read and react, strength, agility, and so on and the difficulty in seeing the future man in the boy.

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Seems to me we had a fairly decent young Dman break out recently. Led all rookies in scoring and could very easily be our second consecutive Calder winner. Was it all a dream?

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think a top 4 D is hard to trade for and expensive to trade for. I'm hoping Rathbaby will help and/or Woo.

Or we get lucky with another  Miller type  trade.

Nothing is free, no.

9 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Tryamkin

Rafferty

Rathbone

Woo

Juolevi

Yes they are. Even if a couple 'hit' though, I'm not sure any will be of sufficient quality to help anchor a top pair alongside Hughes for a decade though (Juolevi and Rathbone being the most likely IMO). And very few of the preferred RH'd variety to keep Hughes on the left.

We need Hughes' 'Seabrook' to his 'Keith'. That's likely going to need to come via trade.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Yep. Defencemen are so hard to predict when you are selecting them as 17/18 year olds. So much is about hockey IQ and ability to read plays, read and react, strength, agility, and so on and the difficulty in seeing the future man in the boy.

He's more of a scorer. But definitely a gift from good fortune for sure. I agree with Agent that we need to find a solid D partner for him. Huggy was is so important for our PP!

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 2

So it’s Now June.

I know nobody is really sure on the cap for next season so it’s hard to sign players not knowing the cap room. 

Im a Tryamkin fan but Jimbo not signing Trym by now with people in the Know (knowing agents directly) saying Jimbo and Trym agent aren’t even talking can not be good. 

When is Tryamkins Canuck contract officially done and he’s a UFA? We must be getting close.

If Tryamkin is released and becomes a UFA I wish him well and I worry about Other Future Canuck Russians wanting to be apart of the Canucks organization. I know the Canuck Russians in the last Decade haven’t been NHL caliber so it’s not Canucks fault but if I was a Russian Canuck prospect I would not be to thrilled to be in this organization. There’s no Canuck Russian success stories. In 2 decades

Edited by HockeyHarry

3 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

So it’s Now June.

I know nobody is really sure on the cap for next season so it’s hard to sign players not knowing the cap room. 

Im a Tryamkin fan but Jimbo not signing Trym by now with people in the Know (knowing agents directly) saying Jimbo and Trym agent aren’t even talking can not be good. 

When is Tryamkins Canuck contract officially done and he’s a UFA? We must be getting close.

If Tryamkin is released and becomes a UFA I wish him well and I worry about Other Future Canuck Russians wanting to be apart of the Canucks organization. I know the Canuck Russians in the last Decade haven’t been NHL caliber so it’s not Canucks fault but if I was a Russian Canuck prospect I would not be to thrilled to be in this organization. There’s no Canuck Russian success stories. In 2 decades

If you were a born winner, that doesn't defeat you. That's motivation to be the next big Russian in the market and be praised like Bure did.

Do you think someone like Anze Kopitar was like "damn, there's no success stories for Slovenian's in the NHL, I better look elsewhere"?

On May 31, 2020 at 9:55 PM, RetroCanuck said:

Tryamkin

Rafferty

Rathbone

Woo

Juolevi

Woo is only 20 years old so he will need 2-3 yrs..

Rafferty  - could fill # 5 D position if Stetcher is traded.... Stetcher RFA will demand 4 yrs X 2.8 million.....Rafferty NHL salary is 750,000

Rathbone -  will be a top 4 D man but is still in college and has not decided if he will sign pro contract....Rathbone might need 25-35 games in Utica but transition should be fast..

Tryamkin 6'8, 27 -  He has to prove himself and we need to sign him to a friendly contract 2 yrs X 1.5----1.8 million show me deal..

Juolevi 6'3, 22 - Injuries have slowed his development..Only player 18 games last season 13 points...  This season GP 45 -- PTS 25  Juolevi missed another 13 games with knee acting up in early November missing some games but finished off okay.. I See Juolevi playing in NHL within 15 months, # 4 D man..

Edited by wildcam
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

If he wanted to go to the Kings should've packaged him in the Toffoli trade earlier instead of Madden. Canucks still own his rights. So we will see where we go from here.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 3

16 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

If he wanted to go to the Kings should've packaged him in the Toffoli trade earlier instead of Madden. Canucks still own his rights. So we will see where we go from here.

It’s Nesterov that’s linked to LA. Not Tryamkin.  

• Haha 1

On 6/1/2020 at 8:00 AM, Hairy Kneel said:

He's more of a scorer. But definitely a gift from good fortune for sure. I agree with Agent that we need to find a solid D partner for him. Huggy was is so important for our PP!

You are making an important point here, but we may not have a single partner in the organization at this point that could fill that roll - we don’t have a Seabrooke type to partner a Keith. But, we may be able to partner him appropriately by committee, in different game conditions - if he is being challenged physically with a more physical partner, if we are early in a game playing at an ear even score, late in a game in which we are behind with a more active partner, and so on. I think this would particularly work with a Hughes because of his high hockey IQ, from his standpoint, he can play with anyone and get the best contribution for the team from his partner - as evidence his play with a Schenn at the outset, and then with Rafferty for a few shifts in the last half of Rafferty’s second NHL game - a period and a half that I wish to heck I had a recording.

But now how this relates to Tryamkin - we have seen in this aborted season that toward the end that the physical play against Hughes had significantly tamped up. We don’t really have on our current defence, that kind of player - and I don’t mean someone who will necessarily drop the gloves at the drop of a puck, I mean someone who will respond to a marginal hit on Hughes with a crushing check, a slash with a bigger slash, and a cross-check with a cross check. I think Tryamkin May be the guy to roll out in those circumstances.

• Cheers 1