The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Come on JB send us a some good news!:frantic:

Hairy, just read a recent article where Ristolianen says he believes if there are any moves to be made in Buffalo, he feels he is the first to go.

Boterhill has to make moves.. 7 years without playoffs..  I’d love to see Ristolianen here with the likes of Myers Hughes Tryamkin Rafferty Rathbone, Breisbois and Teves..  one more season to go with Edler.

I know you like Dillon,  but there’s an upside to Ristolianen I don’t think we’ve seen.

5 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Hairy, just read a recent article where Ristolianen says he believes if there are any moves to be made in Buffalo, he feels he is the first to go.

Boterhill has to make moves.. 7 years without playoffs..  I’d love to see Ristolianen here with the likes of Myers Hughes Tryamkin Rafferty Rathbone, Breisbois and Teves..  one more season to go with Edler.

I know you like Dillon,  but there’s an upside to Ristolianen I don’t think we’ve seen.

Only thing is the cost I guess.

17 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

If Ristolainen only costs us Virtanen and a mid range prospect, I do that any day of the week.

Lots of teams are looking for a top 4 RD, so prices won’t be low.  Some Buffalo players would be good targets as the culture there has ground guys down, and they could blow up once in a more positive situation.

Hughes-Risto

Edler-Myers

Tryamkin-Stecher

Benn-Rafferty

Having Edler sign a series of 1 year contracts and slowly lowering his minutes while the kids earn more would be a perfect situation. 

• Hydration 1

36 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Only thing is the cost I guess.

19 minutes ago, Provost said:

If Ristolainen only costs us Virtanen and a mid range prospect, I do that any day of the week.

Lots of teams are looking for a top 4 RD, so prices won’t be low.  Some Buffalo players would be good targets as the culture there has ground guys down, and they could blow up once in a more positive situation.

Hughes-Risto

Edler-Myers

Tryamkin-Stecher

Benn-Rafferty

Having Edler sign a series of 1 year contracts and slowly lowering his minutes while the kids earn more would be a perfect situation. 

So much of this is cap based though..

perhaps it’s time to use a good forward as an asset..

Boeser. and  the rights to (Stetcher and Tanev)  Drops our cap,  perhaps we get a 2nd or 3rd round pick as well..  maybe better if they’re in the lottery lol.

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Care to share this article? I've been very interested in the hopeful opportunity to acquire him. Don't think he could be had for cheap though.

• Hydration 1

11 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Care to share this article? I've been very interested in the hopeful opportunity to acquire him. Don't think he could be had for cheap though.

It’s within this SN article Theo.....  I cant seem to paste the link.

Quick Shifts: Anger, trade speculation swirls in Buffalo”

The National Hockey League is a world of moving pieces. I want to coach Risto next season,” Krueger said.

Ristolainen said he wants to win “if it’s in Buffalo or somewhere else” and realizes losing necessitates change.

“If changes will happen, I know I’m one of the first ones probably who is going to get traded. It’s part of the business and I’m ready, whatever happens. I have really enjoyed my time in Buffalo. It’s home for me,” said Ristolainen, who has begun wondering what a winning culture even looks like.

“I haven’t really seen it before or in Buffalo. I think this year we built our culture a little bit better than previous years,” he went on. 

“We are young. I don’t know if a lot of guys have been in winning teams or winning organizations. Personally, I haven’t. Unfortunately, the team I played for when I was back in Finland it was in the same position, coach got fired every year, players got traded, GM got fired, so I don’t really know what is it. I haven’t seen it. I wish.” 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

It’s within this SN article Theo.....  I cant seem to paste the link.

Quick Shifts: Anger, trade speculation swirls in Buffalo”

The National Hockey League is a world of moving pieces. I want to coach Risto next season,” Krueger said.

Ristolainen said he wants to win “if it’s in Buffalo or somewhere else” and realizes losing necessitates change.

“If changes will happen, I know I’m one of the first ones probably who is going to get traded. It’s part of the business and I’m ready, whatever happens. I have really enjoyed my time in Buffalo. It’s home for me,” said Ristolainen, who has begun wondering what a winning culture even looks like.

“I haven’t really seen it before or in Buffalo. I think this year we built our culture a little bit better than previous years,” he went on. 

“We are young. I don’t know if a lot of guys have been in winning teams or winning organizations. Personally, I haven’t. Unfortunately, the team I played for when I was back in Finland it was in the same position, coach got fired every year, players got traded, GM got fired, so I don’t really know what is it. I haven’t seen it. I wish.” 

If Buffalo was serious about trying to win, they wouldn't trade Ristolainen, it just doesn't make sense to me. So unless Risto is actually requesting out (which he may be as he has sort of done in the past and seems defeated there based on that article), they should be building around him (and Eichel of course).

Reading that article makes me appreciate Benning's effort toward turning this team around relatively quickly and putting the importance on trying to make the playoffs, even if it means trading a 1st for a ready now player and signing important vets to shield the young players (even if it costs a bit more to do so). Also the tank nation crowd should look at that culture and how defeating it is on the players.

• Hydration 2

53 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

If Buffalo was serious about trying to win, they wouldn't trade Ristolainen, it just doesn't make sense to me. So unless Risto is actually requesting out (which he may be as he has sort of done in the past and seems defeated there based on that article), they should be building around him (and Eichel of course).

Reading that article makes me appreciate Benning's effort toward turning this team around relatively quickly and putting the importance on trying to make the playoffs, even if it means trading a 1st for a ready now player and signing important vets to shield the young players (even if it costs a bit more to do so). Also the tank nation crowd should look at that culture and how defeating it is on the players.

I beleive about 3 years ago, Benning was trying to have serious conversations with Boterhil about acquiring E Kane.

Something I thought would have been a perfect piece for Vancouver.  A lot of posters were against it given the swirl of charges that Kane faced in Buffalo.

To me that had more to do with the Culture than the player.   Kane has strong family ties here, trains with his Father every off season.

Boterhil wanted far more than just C Tanev at that time,. Far more..  so Benning rightfully stepped away.

just seems that Buffalo has this cloud over it at times,.  Something I don’t think Boterhil has ever addressed..  always seems like every player is on a punch card/ clock in that city..  show up for work,. And then go home,..  I  have Never hear of a true culture there.

we should feel very proud of our franchise and how it is part of this city.

Shows you what being involved with the city you Sport in, helps to evolve and characterize that city, and vice versa.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Hydration 2

6 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Dillon still looks like the cheaper alternative.  No Boeser or Virt involved. 

We might need them to trade for a goalie in 2 years.

Doubt we'll need a goalie in two years for starters. 

As for cheaper, cheaper isn't always better, if it doesn't fit your needs. And signing him would likely mean no Tryamkin (and/or others). Only so much cap space (hence why we'd need to send some out).

As much as I'd happily add Dillon, we don't really need more bottom pair D depth either. Particularly of the likely higher cap variety that Dillon is bound to be. We have Tryamkin + kids to cycle through there on lower cost deals the next few years. And as they advance/require pay raises, hopefully Edler going the other way.

What we do need, is a younger, top 4 RHD to play alongside Hughes for the next decade +/-. That's likely coming via trade. 'Cost' in trade or not.

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think a top 4 D is hard to trade for and expensive to trade for. I'm hoping Rathbaby will help and/or Woo.

Or we get lucky with another  Miller type  trade.

Tryamkin

Rafferty

Rathbone

Woo

Juolevi

are 5 very good defence prospects with top 4 potential. Surely a couple of them will hit

• Upvote 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

50 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

God were due for a defenseman to break out. Hutton was forever ago.

Yep. Defencemen are so hard to predict when you are selecting them as 17/18 year olds. So much is about hockey IQ and ability to read plays, read and react, strength, agility, and so on and the difficulty in seeing the future man in the boy.

• Hydration 2