The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

5 minutes ago, meh_wassup said:

Wow according to that evaluation it sounds like it should be all sunshine and rainbows if that's actually what our D-corps looks like. In reality however defense has been this teams achilles' heel for 2 seasons. What gives?

That's sunshine and rainbows to you? :blink:

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

Did I metion Hamhuis? No

He would be a number 3/4 on any team in the league. There is no way you can justify Tanev as a 5 (which is basically what Sbisa is)

I gave my opinion of our D earlier,.  I said I beleive Tanev to be a 5th D..  5th D in the term that yes, he could play the 2nd D line,. But more appropriate for him to play on the 3rd,.  Positioned to play on the 1st or 2nd if injuries there occur,. That way the disruption is minimal.. I haven't looked, . But I doubt if his stats are any better than Sbisa's..  And Sbisa can play a physical game, Tanev can not, and lacks it being powered off the puck in his own corners.. It's a weakness that is exploited often.That, besides the fact he has plateaued and rarely shoots, has my opinion of him as a 5th.  

You say 3/4??

You said to me:    "Your evalulation of players is so off its funny".   Wow big difference Gstank.

You quoted that to me after I had said Hamhuis's play has diminished since his ballsy effort to hip check Lucic into the bench in the SCup Final.  Hamhuis has become more apprehensive in his game since then,. Plays a deep defensive crease position always, rarely battles in corners.. Any easy, off comparison is the play of Biegga,.  Hamhuis used to play a great no gap game like Biegga.. Now Hamhuis plays to avoid injury, is apprehensive and is usually part of the crowd problem in the crease area.   .. And hey, he deflects another goal into his own net.

I will stick to my opinion,.  Until Tanev shows more, or is traded for the proper upgrade in the dependable 3/4 position.

There is a huge difference between a 3/4 and a 5 its not just a number. You are overrated Sbisa physical game and unrating Tanevs defensive positioning. Stats aren't every thing when evaluating player you have failed to account for things such as Tanev breaking up passes and taking away shoting lanes. Also Tanev doesn't get knocked off the puck easily thats why he's still in the league and is a bonfide top 4 defenseman.

@SilentSam

Edited by Gstank29
  • Upvote 1

Just now, J.R. said:

Well you said we have a solid #2 in Edler (which I think is generous but I can see where you're coming from), 2 good cerebral #3s in Tanev and Hamhuis, 2 #4s in Hutton and Sbisa and then some #6,7,8 guys. That's a #2, 2x#3s, and 2x#4s. Sounds like a decent D-corps to me because that's what most of the league has. Not many teams have a #1 Dman. I just think you were a little bit generous evaluating some of the guys.

You also said Sbisa was quick which really surprised me.

5 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Tanev has played at the pro level for 4 years now,. Still weighs the 180lbs he started with.. Opposing forwards usually dump and chase him into his corner and successfully drive him off the puck.

He has become a fan favorite, and shown less development.. Rarely shoots. I see him more of a 5th D , than a top 4 D.

Are you serious?

Tanev is a top 4 d-man on every single team in the NHL.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, J.R. said:

But let me give you my evaluation:

Edler is a #3 with the potential to satisfactorily support a really good #1 Dman, Hutton is a #4 right now with very good potential (I'm very excited about him). So I don't think our evaluation is too far off for those 2.

Hamhuis is a rapidly declining #4 who is somewhat good defensively although he has been very suspect for much of the year.

Tanev is barely a top 4 Dman and that's only because he is reliable defensively with a decent outlet pass although I believe he's taken a step (or 2) back in that department. He has very little to no offensive upside, no physicality or aggression whatsoever, and no ability to clear the crease. 

Sbisa is definitely no more than a #5 Dman who's capable of providing some physicality but no ability to clear the crease or chip in offensively. 

We are pretty much in agreement on the rest.

Note that we have only 1 Dman with limited offensive upside and that's Edler, imo.

24 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

There is a huge difference between a 3/4 and a 5 its not just a number. You are overrated Sbisa physical game and unrating Tanevs defensive positioning. Stats aren't every thing when evaluating player you have failed to account for things such as Tanev breaking up passes and taking away shoting lanes. Also Tanev doesn't get knocked off the puck easily thats why he's still in the league and is a bonfide top 4 defenseman.

@SilentSam

Tanev's game is not physical.. NOT.  (Watch his game closer)  he even plays like he weighs 180-185, His defensive game is what it is because he is a defenseman., he is not above average in any department other than skating, which compliments the teams transition. 

ive added meh_wassup's evaluation as an added comparison.. Thanks MWassup,. Hope you don't mind

31 minutes ago, nowhereman said:

Are you serious?

Tanev is a top 4 d-man on every single team in the NHL.

people tend to over rate Tanev here,. I will not.   Maybe that's why we have such a terrible D here,. We have historically valued it to be more.  The last D man with any D presence in front of our own crease was Pedan, in the only game he has played with us.

23 minutes ago, meh_wassup said:

But let me give you my evaluation:

Edler is a #3 with the potential to satisfactorily support a really good #1 Dman, Hutton is a #4 right now with very good potential (I'm very excited about him). So I don't think our evaluation is too far off for those 2.

Hamhuis is a rapidly declining #4 who is somewhat good defensively although he has been very suspect for much of the year.

Tanev is barely a top 4 Dman and that's only because he is reliable defensively with a decent outlet pass although I believe he's taken a step (or 2) back in that department. He has very little to no offensive upside, no physicality or aggression whatsoever, and no ability to clear the crease. 

Sbisa is definitely no more than a #5 Dman who's capable of providing some physicality but no ability to clear the crease or chip in offensively. 

We are pretty much in agreement on the rest.

Note that we have only 1 Dman with limited offensive upside and that's Edler, imo.

he is not above average in any department other than skating, which compliments the teams transition. 

So wrong, mayor of wrong ville wrong. Tanev is one of the best defensive defenseman in the Western Conference. He defensive game is one of the best in the league. He is comparable to Marc Edouard Vlasic who is a bonfide top 3 defence man in the league

Edited by Gstank29
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

So wrong, mayor of wrong ville wrong. Tanev is one of the best defensive defenseman in the Western Conference. He defensive game is one of the best in the league. He is comparable to Marc Edouard? Vlasic who is a bonfide top 3 defence man in the league

PEDAN GETTING LOVE FROM CANUCKS ARMY! 

When will it be Tryamkin's turn to get his air time between periods?

Soon I hope, soon.

Hamhuis skills rubbing off on Hutton, top 4 D also can bank pucks into his own net accidentally. lolz

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Tanev's game is not physical.. NOT.  (Watch his game closer)  he even plays like he weighs 180-185, His defensive game is what it is because he is a defenseman., he is not above average in any department other than skating, which compliments the teams transition. 

ive added meh_wassup's evaluation as an added comparison.. Thanks MWassup,. Hope you don't mind

people tend to over rate Tanev here,. I will not.   Maybe that's why we have such a terrible D here,. We have historically valued it to be more.  The last D man with any D presence in front of our own crease was Pedan, in the only game he has played with us.

Np

9 minutes ago, Derp... said:

Fixed it.

Drance is an advance stat guru, the worst type though because he doesn't take into account how the player actually plays he just throws around those advanced stats like a baseball in a Little League game.

2 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

Fixed it.

Drance is an advance stat guru, the worst type though because he doesn't take into account how the player actually plays he just throws around those advanced stats like a baseball in a Little League game.

lolz noice.

26 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

So wrong, mayor of wrong ville wrong. Tanev is one of the best defensive defenseman in the Western Conference. He defensive game is one of the best in the league. He is comparable to Marc Andre Vlasic who is a bonfide top 3 defence man in the league

Weak, light, will never match any power forward on his side.. Will never clear anyone from his crease. 4 years pro, has plateaued. Does not have a Trade Clause,..  great bait, good positioning, Nice skates, nice flo,.. bro.

.. Oh, and the " so wrong, mayor of wrongville wrong "  ... The fact that you want to quote that puke of a journalist leaves me to beleive your willing to continue weaning the mediocre/ lacklustre Defence we have until the nipple is dry.

BTW.. Tanev just screened Markstrom .. Like he usually does..  I think, he and Hammer each have one tonight. 

Goggle Hero chart and tell me where Tanev is  rated on that chart, and then go ask 5 different people on this board about Tanev, the stats and eye test match his hero chart. The quote was suitable for how wrong you are. 

Edited by Gstank29
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Weak, light, will never match any power forward on his side.. Will never clear anyone from his crease. 4 years pro, has plateaued. Does not have a Trade Clause,..  great bait, good positioning, Nice skates, nice flo,.. bro.

.. Oh, and the " so wrong, mayor of wrongville wrong "  ... The fact that you want to quote that puke of a journalist leaves me to beleive your willing to continue weaning the mediocre/ lacklustre Defence we have until the nipple is dry.

BTW.. Tanev just screened Markstrom .. Like he usually does..  I think, he and Hammer each have one tonight. 

Frig off bud, friggin goof.

how can you mention screening your own goalie without mentioning Alex elder. Taney is a very good defensive d man and moves the puck reasonably well. The guy is a damn good player, give him credit.

9 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but when given the chance yesterday on 1040 JB made complimentary  comments about Larson in the KHL suggesting he has a chance to make the team next year .....co comment about Tryamkin

that's cuz JB is just trying to pump the tires on the ONLY trade he could make.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, meh_wassup said:

Well you said we have a solid #2 in Edler (which I think is generous but I can see where you're coming from), 2 good cerebral #3s in Tanev and Hamhuis, 2 #4s in Hutton and Sbisa and then some #6,7,8 guys. That's a #2, 2x#3s, and 2x#4s. Sounds like a decent D-corps to me because that's what most of the league has. Not many teams have a #1 Dman. I just think you were a little bit generous evaluating some of the guys.

You also said Sbisa was quick which really surprised me.

Yeah, the bottom half of a top pair and three too similar and uncomplimentary 2nd pair D with almost no size/physicality is not a overly complimentary comment.

Sbisa is an above average skater. 

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Yeah, the bottom half of a top pair and three too similar and uncomplimentary 2nd pair D with almost no size/physicality is not a overly complimentary comment.

Sbisa is an above average skater

Wow I strongly disagree with that statement. Hutton and Bartkowski are good skaters, Tanev is a slightly above average skater. Sbisa is slow, cannot skate with the puck out of corners. He sometimes looks awkward carrying the puck through the neutral zone even as he's doing something as basic as changing direction to avoid a forward standing still. My definition of a good skater is someone who has a good first step, good balance and looks comfortable carrying the puck with good speed, and agility. Sbisa maybe has decent balance but lacks in all other areas. 

I don't understand what you mean by the top part of your comment. Elaborate?