The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

53 minutes ago, Googlie said:

If you looked at today's US C-19 statistics,  it is only just beginning. Poor California.  We thought we had flattened the curve, so we reopened the beaches,  bars and restaurants and today saw the highest ever number of new cases in one day.  

I just looked at the data, and I don't see how anyone could possibly think California had flattened the curve. There were a couple of periods when that briefly looked like a possibility, but they didn't last more than one week before the new case count turned up again.

canuckledraggin has it right. The media generated hysteria has so many including professional athletes bamboozled. What they are not telling is that 95% of new cases will have either no symptoms or a couple of days of sniffles. For the majority of people and almost all healthy young to middle-aged people it is a very mild and nonthreatening virus. Just keep any positive tested athletes away from sick old people.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Tracksuit said:

I clearly stated I was guessing that what he wanted just as he did.
Unless your an admin maybe don’t tell other your rules. 

So, I guess you want to trade E.P. for a 6th round draft pick, and re-sign Markstrom for $10 million a year then?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

How many of those positive tests involved a sick person? We have seen that over 60% of people who test positive are asymptomatic. We're talking about world class athletes...all of them. This disease is killing old and sick people. At this point, many of us have the virus and don't even know it. Thank God it's not as deadly as it might have been.

what difference does being "sick" make?  They can still transmit the virus

9 hours ago, old guy said:

canuckledraggin has it right. The media generated hysteria has so many including professional athletes bamboozled. What they are not telling is that 95% of new cases will have either no symptoms or a couple of days of sniffles. For the majority of people and almost all healthy young to middle-aged people it is a very mild and nonthreatening virus. Just keep any positive tested athletes away from sick old people.

Good One Lol GIF by Justin

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

The players should decide where they want to play. Its their health at risk here, not Bettman sitting in his bunker in New Haven or wherever. 

Ironic that the league is begging players to play, when the money made primarily goes to NHL/TEAMS, at a time where PLAYERS, have for the better part, played to the term of their contract.

Only a few years ago, the NHL prepared long to Lock out players an entire season and did,

when the PLAYERS and PA felt it could have been played through and negotiate fairly.

If this season does not return,  I wonder if we finally see the franchises that are weak, or possibly collapse into bankruptcy, move to cities more popular for hockey.

I am looking forward to Seattle entering the league..  I have friends there that say that our same “Cult” following of this sport, exists stronger than we can imagine.

Look how Vegas did..  fabulous.

Time to exit the sun belt , retirement state..

Get back to Quebec City..  and explore more opportunities in the West.

Portland, Frisco, ..  road trip any one?

I for one hope they cancel this season, and hope the league and PA spends this time restructuring the NHL to be stronger than every, in good health, and in every way.. including a fund to support itself in times like these, or to reciprocate back into the sport.

A better leader, one who knows the sport is needed, is needed to guide both the players and franchises.

its long overdue for this sport to have a better NHL president,.  most have been lame.

names like Rutherford, Burke, Holland, Yzerman, Lamorello and others could create something special of this League that has no competition but itself and the way it is managed.

• Cheers 2

13 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

How many of those positive tests involved a sick person? We have seen that over 60% of people who test positive are asymptomatic. We're talking about world class athletes...all of them. This disease is killing old and sick people. At this point, many of us have the virus and don't even know it. Thank God it's not as deadly as it might have been.

You don't need to die so be affected by it.  The scaring left to the lungs can have a lasting impact even after recovery.  Most are world class athletes, but there are still the Phil Kessel's out there, and he's in Arizona no less.

36 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Ironic that the league is begging players to play, when the money made primarily goes to NHL/TEAMS, at a time where PLAYERS, have for the better part, played to the term of their contract.

The players and owners split revenue. Less revenue = FAR higher escrow for the players. It's in their own best interests to minimize the loss in revenue to reduce the amount of escrow they pay back to the owners from their salaries.

And that's just the money. These guys are also ULTRA competitive. Most are going to want to play for the cup, their next contract etc.

Edited by aGENT

12 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

I just looked at the data, and I don't see how anyone could possibly think California had flattened the curve. There were a couple of periods when that briefly looked like a possibility, but they didn't last more than one week before the new case count turned up again.

Back in mid May many people thought so.  See .....

https://www.kqed.org/science/1963504/flattening-the-curve-bought-california-time-to-prepare-for-future-surge

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

The players and owners split revenue. Less revenue = FAR higher escrow for the players. It's in their own best interests to minimize the loss in revenue to reduce the amount of escrow they pay back to the owners from their salaries.

And that's just the money. These guys are also ULTRA competitive. Most are going to want to play for the cup, their next contract etc.

I just see shutting this season down to be more of a blessing in disguise aGent..

I think it’s time that could be better spent planning a stronger, more productive League operation, for the future of the game,.  Rather than the band aid it’s going to be and fall off.

1 hour ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

You don't need to die so be affected by it.  The scaring left to the lungs can have a lasting impact even after recovery.  Most are world class athletes, but there are still the Phil Kessel's out there, and he's in Arizona no less.

..  last seen on cam footage at a McDonald’s drive thru..mcdonalds stealing GIF

27 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I just see shutting this season down to be more of a blessing in disguise aGent..

I think it’s time that could be better spent planning a stronger, more productive League operation, for the future of the game,.  Rather than the band aid it’s going to be and fall off.

That's your prerogative. The league and the players however plan to recover as much of that revenue as they can to reduce both of their losses while completing a hard fought season, as is there's.

28 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

If the league goes dark they might struggle to regain those market shares.  With the new US TV deal up it puts them in a weak bargaining position.  Resuming the season is also to keep hockey on the map.  Players have considerable amounts to pay back to the league.  The escrow they've already paid is by far insufficient to cover their portion of the losses.  

• Thanks 1

The topic of who benefits more to the season restarted makes me laugh............

It seems to me that players, generally make 10X's to 100 X's what a normal worker makes........and that is giving most workers a big raise

So, I think the players have been given enough to live comfortably for the next few years

The owners, have leveraged their teams raising value to buy more assets.............aka, that is business 

So, IMO, this restart is all about the owners..................as they are bleeding money from every orifice

In the last CBA or even the last lock, the owners had the upper hand, as all their values were high, and could afford to apply pressure

Today....I don't think that is the case

The players should not be risking their health and future wealth, over the owners woes

IMO, the players should be pushing to negotiate now, with the threat of no hockey next year, with no hockey this year.........

Tough for the fans, but the players would benefit from this stance

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, mll said:

If the league goes dark they might struggle to regain those market shares.  With the new US TV deal up it puts them in a weak bargaining position.  Resuming the season is also to keep hockey on the map.  Players have considerable amounts to pay back to the league.  The escrow they've already paid is by far insufficient to cover their portion of the losses.  

The league has locked players out for an entire season..  no problem then.

Any body oweing any body anything in a situation should be covered by a “Force Majeur” clause Mil.

This is just Economic politics and greed pushing a situation into the redline.

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

The topic of who benefits more to the season restarted makes me laugh............

It seems to me that players, generally make 10X's to 100 X's what a normal worker makes........and that is giving most workers a big raise

So, I think the players have been given enough to live comfortably for the next few years

The owners, have leveraged their teams raising value to buy more assets.............aka, that is business 

So, IMO, this restart is all about the owners..................as they are bleeding money from every orifice

In the last CBA or even the last lock, the owners had the upper hand, as all their values were high, and could afford to apply pressure

Today....I don't think that is the case

The players should not be risking their health and future wealth, over the owners woes

IMO, the players should be pushing to negotiate now, with the threat of no hockey next year, with no hockey this year.........

Tough for the fans, but the players would benefit from this stance

I’m sure there are some businesses and arena staff that would not benefit from a hold out. It’s not as simple as players vs owners. Hotels get business from players, thus staff get work, ice staff get business from games. I want hockey back not just as a fan but as a person that wants these people not making millions to get some work. 

• Cheers 2