The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

20 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Problem is Barrie will want at least $6 million and isn't good in his own end. The Canucks problem isn't scoring it is keeping the puck out of the net. We need to give to get. Only way we are going to become an elite team is if we have a D core. We have Hughes and Myers (Long term) after that everyone could potentially be gone after next season. Setter/Tanev/ Fanta this year & Edler + Benn next year. I see Rathbone making the team by then on our second pairing.

Hughes- _______ Brenden Dillon, Severson,Pulock,Parayko, 

Rathbone-Myers

Juolevi?-Tryamkin?

It is easy to fill our 5/6 guys with different ones, I just put Juolevi and Tryamkin for arguments sake. We really need that guy to play next to Hughes

I totally hear you about who plays the left side on the 3rd pairing, and even though Benning is giving Juolevi every opportunity to make the squad, my money long term is on Brisebois

I will also say that both Rafferty and Woo could be the long term solution for a vacant spot on the RHD side

So I see it as 

Hughes - Myers

Edler - Tryamkin

Rathbone - Tanev

Brisebois

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 7/2/2020 at 1:30 PM, Provost said:

I think they have to figure out other pieces first.

They can’t have the extra million they would have to pay for Tryamkin to cost them one of Toffoli or Tanev.

It they sign Tryamkin before the 15th (KHL training camps) it probably means they have a good sense of not being able to sign Tanev/Stecher to a budget friendly deal.

^^^ This

Benning is clearly waiting for the CBA which will bring cap certainty.  The prudent path from there is to shore up the contracts for the must have players.  Who are the must have's?  In no particular order:  UFA's:  Markstrom, Tanev, and Toffoli......

Not must haves but the next priority has to be, RFA's:  Gaudette, Virtanen

Keep in mind that if the cap is flat over the next couple of seasons as is predicted, trading away problem salaries is going to be very difficult.  For players who are not on expiring contracts, buying out players who may be the only option.  Sutter, Baertschi, Benn......hell, I'd even buy out Pearson if I had to decide between him and Toffoli

Players who are on expiring contracts who have a significant cap hit and are expendable may end up walking.  Stecher is the most conspicuous of these players.   

For the same reason, free agents may be signing for less and for shorter term than usual.  Once the above is decided, then perhaps Tryamkin gets consideration.  Benning had better have have a plan of action mapped out already if he wants Tryamkin assuming he has a deadline of July 15 to either sign in the NHL or go back to the KHL.

Now, I'm not a fan of JD Burke but he was on 1040 this morning with John Abbott and Rick Dahliwal (only reason why I tuned in to be honest).  Burke considers Tryamkin to be seriously over rated.  He grants the physical gifts but does caution that at 25, he is a mature player who will not develop much.  He recalls that Tryamkin handled the puck like a hand grenade and was an icing machine.  Burke definitely leans towards hyperbole but I have to agree that although he exaggerates, the traits were there 3 years ago and it's going to take a leap of faith to cut more than a 1 year contract.  He pegs Tryamkin as a 7-8 defenseman but I think is he is signed, he will play on the bottom pair and will be told that it's a start.  

I'm personally not overly optimistic Nik will ever wear the scowling orca again. Though I would love to have him. 

Maybe 3rd pairing of 

Rafferty Tryamkin

Could be a good opportunity for both of them to prove they deserve quality NHL minutes. 

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

I'm personally not overly optimistic Nik will ever wear the scowling orca again. Though I would love to have him. 

Maybe 3rd pairing of 

Rafferty Tryamkin

Could be a good opportunity for both of them to prove they deserve quality NHL minutes. 

Instead of putting two players not used to the NHL on the same pair, how about we waive Benn and run with a young mixed experience line-up? If Tanev is resigned I think Stecher is left to walk/traded. If a tanev is not resigned then we keep Stech.

Hughes-Tanev/Myers

Edler-Rafferty

Tryamkin-Myers/Stecher

Brisebois

5 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

^^^ This

Benning is clearly waiting for the CBA which will bring cap certainty.  The prudent path from there is to shore up the contracts for the must have players.  Who are the must have's?  In no particular order:  UFA's:  Markstrom, Tanev, and Toffoli......

Not must haves but the next priority has to be, RFA's:  Gaudette, Virtanen

Keep in mind that if the cap is flat over the next couple of seasons as is predicted, trading away problem salaries is going to be very difficult.  For players who are not on expiring contracts, buying out players who may be the only option.  Sutter, Baertschi, Benn......hell, I'd even buy out Pearson if I had to decide between him and Toffoli

Players who are on expiring contracts who have a significant cap hit and are expendable may end up walking.  Stecher is the most conspicuous of these players.   

For the same reason, free agents may be signing for less and for shorter term than usual.  Once the above is decided, then perhaps Tryamkin gets consideration.  Benning had better have have a plan of action mapped out already if he wants Tryamkin assuming he has a deadline of July 15 to either sign in the NHL or go back to the KHL.

Now, I'm not a fan of JD Burke but he was on 1040 this morning with John Abbott and Rick Dahliwal (only reason why I tuned in to be honest).  Burke considers Tryamkin to be seriously over rated.  He grants the physical gifts but does caution that at 25, he is a mature player who will not develop much.  He recalls that Tryamkin handled the puck like a hand grenade and was an icing machine.  Burke definitely leans towards hyperbole but I have to agree that although he exaggerates, the traits were there 3 years ago and it's going to take a leap of faith to cut more than a 1 year contract.  He pegs Tryamkin as a 7-8 defenseman but I think is he is signed, he will play on the bottom pair and will be told that it's a start.  

JD Burke musn't have watched Tryamkin play in Atvo to make these baseless claims. Hyperbole for sure. Suggesting at 25 Tryamkin is on a downturn? He was thrown to the wolves as a rookie at 21, and did rather well. Does JD Bunk remember all the loser retread D men we've gone through ? Nik is better than these 11 NHL players,

Del Zotto

Sbisa
Hutton
Schenn
Benn
GudB
Pouliot
Pedan

Wiercioch
Larsen

and even Biega

His role is like Babych or Dirk, get the puck, knock guys down and knock guys out of the crease. Tryamkin knows how to get time and space, more so than when he left. He's in for a surprise because Tryamkin has been working on his stretch passes. For a 3rd rounder coming back the bottom pairing will be fine to start. Tryamkin is a team first player. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

In the interview Diamond says if Tryamkin signed in the  KHL the timing would be bad for us, in that we would probably lose him in free agency.  As a UFA.

I think we are far more at risk of losing Demko than a defenceman - we don’t need to protect Hughes, wouldn’t protect Edler his age and contract are protection enough, we would protect Myers, we would protect Tanev if we still have him, Stetcher, Benn and Fantenburg we would be willing to lose, and that leaves one or two spots depending on Tanev, to protect one or two of Rafferty, Tryamkin, or Juolevi (does he even need to be protected?).

27 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I think we are far more at risk of losing Demko than a defenceman - we don’t need to protect Hughes, wouldn’t protect Edler his age and contract are protection enough, we would protect Myers, we would protect Tanev if we still have him, Stetcher, Benn and Fantenburg we would be willing to lose, and that leaves one or two spots depending on Tanev, to protect one or two of Rafferty, Tryamkin, or Juolevi (does he even need to be protected?).

You could be right about Demko, will depend what kind of term GM JB give Markstrom. I don't think the Canucks can afford to give Seattle a decent prospect or draft pick to keep Demko. But if Markstrom isn't signed for more than say 3-4 years then I would go on the safe side and protect Demko, even if it meant giving up a prospect or pick. A prospect or pick are unknown quantities.

Demko has room to improve for sure, but he has proven throughout his career to adapt and excel. Great qualities to have, seems like he has solid character which the Canucks emphasis on so would be worth keeping around in my opinion. He would be in his prime for a quite a while our core and budding young core continue to grow and blossom.

Running with a mid 30s goalie is a risk when the rest of your team is in there mid 20s, but that is just my opinion. Good news is we have 1 more year to see how Demko does in the NHL and how Dipietro does in his sophmore AHL season. 

As for Nikita, it is a no brainer to have him on our NHL roster to me. Would start him on the 3rd pair and increase his ice as time went on if he warranted it. If he is a solid 3rd pair shutdown type D...nothing Wrong with that either! Hal Gill in the modern faster NHL is nothing to be disappointed about.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I am not sure the connection of that to Diamond's comments?

With the way the season schedules are shaping up (KHL starting in September and NHL likely in January), he is referencing Tryamkin signing a deal in the KHL which takes him to his UFA window.  It doesn't have anything to do with expansion at all.

Regarding expansion as a separate issue, it is going to be complicated.  Demko is clearly our best player that would be exposed (assuming we still have him at that point), but is he better than four other goalies that would be exposed that Seattle might want more?  Does Seattle think that picking Demko and flipping him gives them more value than picking one of our lesser players?  Goalie trade markets are pretty weak generally, maybe slightly strengthened if Seattle takes a bunch of back ups and leaves several teams needing one.

We really don't have anyone on defence we need to protect as of right now.  No one would be a huge loss, expose Myers and who cares if he gets claimed, probably not at his salary.  Rafferty is a decent prospect but he is also at him prime age without ever being an NHLer so he is likely not going to be a reliable top 4 guy.  Juolevi could get protected just for his draft status and potential, but we isn't a lock to be an NHLer  We are likely way better off actually picking up D before expansion for relatively cheap because lots of other teams have guys they can't protect who would be huge upgrades for us.  We could entirely refashion our defence next year just with trades for guys we could then protect, including leaving Juolevi exposed and trading for a guy who is better.

9 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I think there are far better choices than Demko at this point in his career. He showed flashes of being a starter, but also took steps back at points too.

On 7/3/2020 at 5:20 PM, Hairy Kneel said:

In the interview Diamond says if Tryamkin signed in the  KHL the timing would be bad for us, in that we would probably lose him in free agency.  As a UFA.

Hopefully. This guy bores me. Trade his rights for anything.

8 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Hopefully. This guy bores me. Trade his rights for anything.

Would be nice to do that with some posters here as well..    you know,  the ones that are bored.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Haha 2

On 7/3/2020 at 9:56 PM, theo5789 said:

One Nikita signs, it'll squash though doubters that he will ever return in a Canuck uniform. I have no doubt his play will squash those who doubt his ability to play in the NHL.

So, to reiterate, once he signs to play for the Canucks nobody will continue to doubt he’ll play for the Canucks? And once he actually plays nobody will continue to doubt he can actually play? 
Some bold predictions out here.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Talk that the contract could be just shy of a million? That'd be value, and gives him a chance to show he is worth more.

Would be stoked to see him play. But he won't be that element that "fixes" our d.

Where is that talk happening?  I haven’t seen anything yet indicating it would be that low.  The earlier talk was $2 million plus.

At $1 million there is no reason he shouldn’t be signed already.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, nzan said:

So, to reiterate, once he signs to play for the Canucks nobody will continue to doubt he’ll play for the Canucks? And once he actually plays nobody will continue to doubt he can actually play? 
Some bold predictions out here.

I guess it would be more "bold" for all the non sense we have heard over the last couple years. It's going to be nice for those who actually followed and supported Tryamkin to see these "predictions" come into fruition.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2