The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I think we are far more at risk of losing Demko than a defenceman - we don’t need to protect Hughes, wouldn’t protect Edler his age and contract are protection enough, we would protect Myers, we would protect Tanev if we still have him, Stetcher, Benn and Fantenburg we would be willing to lose, and that leaves one or two spots depending on Tanev, to protect one or two of Rafferty, Tryamkin, or Juolevi (does he even need to be protected?).

I am not sure the connection of that to Diamond's comments?

With the way the season schedules are shaping up (KHL starting in September and NHL likely in January), he is referencing Tryamkin signing a deal in the KHL which takes him to his UFA window.  It doesn't have anything to do with expansion at all.

Regarding expansion as a separate issue, it is going to be complicated.  Demko is clearly our best player that would be exposed (assuming we still have him at that point), but is he better than four other goalies that would be exposed that Seattle might want more?  Does Seattle think that picking Demko and flipping him gives them more value than picking one of our lesser players?  Goalie trade markets are pretty weak generally, maybe slightly strengthened if Seattle takes a bunch of back ups and leaves several teams needing one.

We really don't have anyone on defence we need to protect as of right now.  No one would be a huge loss, expose Myers and who cares if he gets claimed, probably not at his salary.  Rafferty is a decent prospect but he is also at him prime age without ever being an NHLer so he is likely not going to be a reliable top 4 guy.  Juolevi could get protected just for his draft status and potential, but we isn't a lock to be an NHLer  We are likely way better off actually picking up D before expansion for relatively cheap because lots of other teams have guys they can't protect who would be huge upgrades for us.  We could entirely refashion our defence next year just with trades for guys we could then protect, including leaving Juolevi exposed and trading for a guy who is better.

9 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I think we are far more at risk of losing Demko than a defenceman - we don’t need to protect Hughes, wouldn’t protect Edler his age and contract are protection enough, we would protect Myers, we would protect Tanev if we still have him, Stetcher, Benn and Fantenburg we would be willing to lose, and that leaves one or two spots depending on Tanev, to protect one or two of Rafferty, Tryamkin, or Juolevi (does he even need to be protected?).

I think there are far better choices than Demko at this point in his career. He showed flashes of being a starter, but also took steps back at points too.

On 7/3/2020 at 5:20 PM, Hairy Kneel said:

In the interview Diamond says if Tryamkin signed in the  KHL the timing would be bad for us, in that we would probably lose him in free agency.  As a UFA.

Hopefully. This guy bores me. Trade his rights for anything.

8 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Hopefully. This guy bores me. Trade his rights for anything.

Would be nice to do that with some posters here as well..    you know,  the ones that are bored.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Haha 2
On 7/3/2020 at 9:56 PM, theo5789 said:

One Nikita signs, it'll squash though doubters that he will ever return in a Canuck uniform. I have no doubt his play will squash those who doubt his ability to play in the NHL.

So, to reiterate, once he signs to play for the Canucks nobody will continue to doubt he’ll play for the Canucks? And once he actually plays nobody will continue to doubt he can actually play? 
Some bold predictions out here.

• Haha 1

Talk that the contract could be just shy of a million? That'd be value, and gives him a chance to show he is worth more.

Would be stoked to see him play. But he won't be that element that "fixes" our d.

33 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Talk that the contract could be just shy of a million? That'd be value, and gives him a chance to show he is worth more.

Would be stoked to see him play. But he won't be that element that "fixes" our d.

Where is that talk happening?  I haven’t seen anything yet indicating it would be that low.  The earlier talk was $2 million plus.

At $1 million there is no reason he shouldn’t be signed already.

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
13 hours ago, nzan said:

So, to reiterate, once he signs to play for the Canucks nobody will continue to doubt he’ll play for the Canucks? And once he actually plays nobody will continue to doubt he can actually play? 
Some bold predictions out here.

I guess it would be more "bold" for all the non sense we have heard over the last couple years. It's going to be nice for those who actually followed and supported Tryamkin to see these "predictions" come into fruition.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 2
9 hours ago, kloubek said:

8 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

I'm not sure if this site is credible or not but I read it here;

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-rumors-july-5-2020/

That talk was 100% pure speculation, without even "a little birdy told me" source. As another poster pointed out, if Tram was willing to sign in that price range, he would almost certainly already be signed.

5 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

That talk was 100% pure speculation, without even "a little birdy told me" source. As another poster pointed out, if Tram was willing to sign in that price range, he would almost certainly already be signed.

Agree the comment was speculation. Though the source seems solid at least.

Tryamkin likely still wants to avoid the AHL so to fit him on the roster, something will have to change one way or another to move out bodies. As I said, he does little to solve our woes on D so changes are likely regardless. Benn becomes 100% expendable, so gotta find a suitor there. Shame he didn't work out.

5 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

As a recent father who works on contract.. my first priority would be getting a new contact to ensure i can provide for my new addition. 

Luckily for Nikita, it isn't a matter of finding a contract, it's about how much. Some hockey team in the world will want a player like him, it's not trying to find the best deal that suits him now and for future growth. So now I guess the question is does he want long term financial security or does he want to bank on himself on a short term deal with the goal to ear a bigger paycheque down the road.

• Hydration 1