The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Great news! Just Fn great!

The first domino of Benning's lack of budget control

Now, players like Leivo, Toffoli, Tanev?, Motte, prospects, picks will have to be moved out because of his screw ups

Sorry, But this is going to be painful......butit was easy to see...............I dont blame Tryamkin

But don't forget to spread the joy around... Aqualini voted in favor of the last CBA there-by accepting the Luongo penalty

I for one am psssssed!

A touch melodramatic Jan.

At most, we're likely to lose one of Tanev/Toffoli (my guess would be Toffoli who is both a bit of a luxury and was never guaranteed to return anyway). And there's ways to retain all of them if they want to be here.

Motte will barely see a raise, if any (covid) and will be back.

Leivo, if we even need him (we have a crap tonne of winger depth) will sign cheap due to his injuries and covid. And really, is he that big of a 'loss'?

I'm guessing we move out Roussel and possibly Benn and buyout or retain on Baer. That's about $6m right there. Stecher may also be on the way out but that's as much about roster space as it is cap. There's a log jam of D who need to start making the jump.

If Erriksson also miraculously retires, we're laughing.

I'd also explore moving/packaging Virtanen for a young D personally, with Podkolzin available part way through next season to replace him.

Tanev and Toffoli can't be expecting big raises either given current market conditions. I have them at $4.5m and $5m +/- respectively. 

Something like:

Miller, Pettersson, Toffoli/Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Boeser/Toffoli

Ferland (or cheap Leivo if he's not healthy), Gaudette, Sutter/MacEwan

Motte, Beagle, MacEwan/Sutter

Erriksson

Move Sutter towards the TDL and replace with Podkolzin

Hughes, Tanev

Edler, Myers

Rathbone/Brisebois/Juolevi?, Rafferty/Virtanen trade?

Sautner, Brisebois/Rafferty

Markstrom, Demko

Hardly terrifying Jan.

It's not like he isn't needed. If this team has one established fact, it's small one and missing physicality. It's like having a  shortage of wingers or centres .... it's a missing part. Just in case we forget StL won the Cup .... St L.!! and take a look at their D, it was big and powerful. It's a shame and IMO directly related to a lack of thought to the Cap and the signing of over priced FA. Doesn't look good. I suspect we'll lose Leivo as well and maybe Stecher, bad Cap management

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

It's not like he isn't needed. If this team has one established fact, it's small one and missing physicality. It's like having a  shortage of wingers or centres .... it's a missing part. Just in case we forget StL won the Cup .... St L.!! and take a look at their D, it was big and powerful. It's a shame and IMO directly related to a lack of thought to the Cap and the signing of over priced FA. Doesn't look good. I suspect we'll lose Leivo as well and maybe Stecher, bad Cap management

I can't see how Leivo is more than minimum wage 2 way contract guy at best. We have to many players as it is. I had him in the 10-15% chance of being re-signed before covid. That injury is something very serious, and with no stats or pedigree he's an afterthought to any NHL team at this point. We were losing Stretcher anyway. It has nothing to do with cap management, it has to do with NT and the choices he makes.

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

A touch melodramatic Jan.

At most, we're likely to lose one of Tanev/Toffoli (my guess would be Toffoli who is both a bit of a luxury and was never guaranteed to return anyway). And there's ways to retain all of them if they want to be here.

Motte will barely see a raise, if any (covid) and will be back.

Leivo, if we even need him (we have a crap tonne of winger depth) will sign cheap due to his injuries and covid. And really, is he that big of a 'loss'?

I'm guessing we move out Roussel and possibly Benn and buyout or retain on Baer. That's about $6m right there. Stecher may also be on the way out but that's as much about roster space as it is cap. There's a log jam of D who need to start making the jump.

If Erriksson also miraculously retires, we're laughing.

I'd also explore moving/packaging Virtanen for a young D personally, with Podkolzin available part way through next season to replace him.

Tanev and Toffoli can't be expecting big raises either given current market conditions. I have them at $4.5m and $5m +/- respectively. 

Something like:

Miller, Pettersson, Toffoli/Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Boeser/Toffoli

Ferland (or cheap Leivo if he's not healthy), Gaudette, Sutter/MacEwan

Motte, Beagle, MacEwan/Sutter

Erriksson

Move Sutter towards the TDL and replace with Podkolzin

Hughes, Tanev

Edler, Myers

Rathbone/Brisebois/Juolevi?, Rafferty/Virtanen trade?

Sautner, Brisebois/Rafferty

Markstrom, Demko

Hardly terrifying Jan.

In one breath you say no problem

then you say move out players????

Well, if it is not a problem why move players out?

Eriksson................would you walk away from millions of dollars?

Toffoli/Tanev..........why would you sign, when you have worked your whole life for this day?

Motte/Leivo...........Depth guys on low contracts...you need those types

Move Sutter..........At what cost? A lot of other teams will be in the same predicament, others will not want to put themselves there. 

The problem I have is that Benning and Aqualini go and sign Ferland, Benn, Myers, etc  over the last year to be a last playoff team

Not even knowing is Hughes and Pettersson will continue to star, not even knowing if Markstrom can maintain his "NEW" found stardome

It was premature at best, and with very little fore-sight....

Now it is coming home to rest..................

I would also say, that it will cost more than you think to become cap compliant this year and next, unless the NHL forgives the Luongo penalty

Eriksson will cost us assets, because he is not retiring, and we can afford him, which everybody knows.....

And of course Tryamkin is not signing a 2 way, where he gets pennies on the dollar, when he can sign in the KHL for 10X that

and with a very low cost of living and no taxes...................come on....would you?

Because of Covid and our Cap........I knew this was going to happen, especially with the delay in signing.......you could see it happening!

I am just psssed I was right...........against all my hope!

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

If Ferland is healthy, we didn't have room for bringing back Leivo anyway. And even then we would still need to move out a winger (my guess is Roussel).

Same largely goes for Stecher. I'm not opposed to bringing him back at the thought price but we have Rafferty, Brisebois, Rathbone and Juolevi all pushing for spots... Someone has to go.

In one breath you say no problem

then you say move out players????

Well, if it is not a problem why move players out?

Because there are roster limits and we have prospects pushing for spots. This was happening already, cap, covid or not. You can't keep all the players.

Eriksson................would you walk away from millions of dollars?

After his bonus, he's not owed that much more actual money. He's getting older and may not want to continue to put in all the work required to be an NHL player (particularly given the finishing role and vitriol he received for it). Nevermind the added risk of playing, traveling etc in a covid world.

I don't personally think he will walk away but I'm not counting on it either. It's just a 'what if'. And if he does, we're completely laughing.

Toffoli/Tanev..........why would you sign, when you have worked your whole life for this day?

Because they're not going to get more money elsewhere given current market conditions. Not on a good team anyway. It's not like I'm expecting then to play for free, they're just not going to see massive inflation raises. Just like any UFA the next few years.

Motte/Leivo...........Depth guys on low contracts...you need those types

And we'll be retaining him as I stated.

Move Sutter..........At what cost? A lot of other teams will be in the same predicament, others will not want to put themselves there. 

Towards the TDL +as I stated) with a pro-rated salary and retention, Sutter would be zero issue to move so long as he's healthy. He's actually Garner a decent return. And if he isn't, healthy he's on LTIR until he walks in the off season, clearing cap space and Podkolzin still replaces him. He will not cost us anything to move in either scenario.

The problem I have is that Benning and Aqualini go and sign Ferland, Benn, Myers, etc  over the last year to be a last playoff team

Not even knowing is Hughes and Pettersson will continue to star, not even knowing if Markstrom can maintain his "NEW" found stardome

It was premature at best, and with very little fore-sight....

This, is nonsense.

Now it is coming home to rest..................

I would also say, that it will cost more than you think to become cap compliant this year and next, unless the NHL forgives the Luongo penalty

No, it won't.

Eriksson will cost us assets, because he is not retiring, and we can afford him, which everybody knows.....

Maybe. Or we just continue to let his contract run out. We don't HAVE to move him. We'd LIKE to move him.

And of course Tryamkin is not signing a 2 way, where he gets pennies on the dollar, when he can sign in the KHL for 10X that

and with a very low cost of living and no taxes...................come on....would you?

Where did I argue that. Did anyone argue that? You're off on a tangent...

Because of Covid and our Cap........I knew this was going to happen, especially with the delay in signing.......you could see it happening!

I am just psssed I was right...........against all my hope!

This is Tryamkin's and covid's doing. Not Benning.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If Ferland is healthy, we didn't have room for bringing back Leivo anyway. And even then we would still need to move out a winger (my guess is Roussel).

Same largely goes for Stecher. I'm not opposed to bringing him back at the thought price but we have Rafferty, Brisebois, Rathbone and Juolevi all pushing for spots... Someone has to go.

Well, Brisebois, Rathbone and Juolevi all play the left side and what no one wants to address is lack of physicality on the back end. Tryamkin plays a different role. If Ferland can play his physical game ditto Rousell then it helps but it does not address IMO a glaring need on the blue line especially come the play-offs. I have reservations about putting a wager on Ferlands future in the league!  Leivo is a player than can play 2/3/4 line with ease and chip in some goals. Far better than Beagle and Sutter IMO Leive had 20 pts in 40 games that translates to 40 pts in 80 games. That's better than Sutter, Erickson, Rousell,  Beagle and Motte.

I understand your the President of the Benning fan club which is OK until it starts to impact on the team over all. The team has need for some physical presence and we have such a player but can't sign him because we're attached to the likes of Ericksson and Beagle. That's $9.0 million, repeat US$9.0 million. Take a moment of your time and check out the size of the last SC winners D,  St L. The think of  Boston with Carlo and Chara

Edited by Fred65
  • Cheers 1

The news is a little disappointing but I called this back when he walked... just might not be room for him when he wants to return.  I didn’t necessarily mean cap space but there’s no way JB can drop a 2-3 mil on a flyer.  

His last two crappy years in the KHL don’t help at all.  If he had stayed and applied himself it’s a different story.... but doesn’t look like he has the drive to make it in the NHL. 

6 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Well, Brisebois, Rathbone and Juolevi all play the left side and what no one wants to address is lack of physicality on the back end. Tryamkin plays a different role. If Ferland can play his physical game ditto Rousell then it helps but it does not address IMO a glaring need on the blue line especially come the play-offs. I have reservations about putting a wager on Ferlands future in the league!  Leivo is a player than can play 2/3/4 line with ease and chip in some goals. Far better than Beagle and Sutter IMO Leive had 20 pts in 40 games that translates to 40 pts in 80 games. That's better than Sutter, Erickson, Rousell,  Beagle and Motte.

I'm not arguing we could use some additional physicality on our back end. Maybe that's part of my proposed Virtanen for D trade? I'd have happily added Tryamkin but clearly that's not in the cards right now and that's due to both Tryamkin and covid. Neither of which the team control.

Leivo isn't even healthy yet AFAIK. I'm not sure we'd even re-sign him next year even if we did need the F depth. Which we don't. We have more forward depth than we need as it is. Hence my suggestion to move Roussel. He'd be the cost to keep Toffoli. He's a sought after player that's movable and would clear $3m. If we don't retain Toffoli, we likely don't need to move Roussel.

I don't think anyone is banking on Ferland being healthy. We still likely wouldn't be signing Leivo for the above reasons, or if we do, it will be cheap. Are people actually panicking about a hobbled, questionable to play again Leivo possibly walking? :blink: We have prospects to fill that hole or at worst, a short term, journeymen NHL'er desperate for a low dollar covid-cap contact to stay in the league if we need to. And again, we have TONNES of F depth.

8 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

The news is a little disappointing but I called this back when he walked... just might not be room for him when he wants to return.  I didn’t necessarily mean cap space but there’s no way JB can drop a 2-3 mil on a flyer.  

His last two crappy years in the KHL don’t help at all.  If he had stayed and applied himself it’s a different story.... but doesn’t look like he has the drive to make it in the NHL. 

You make a reasonable point, but before we throw Tryamkin under the bus think of what we could have done with an extra $9.0 mill I don't see many replacement for a 6'8/250  Defenseman around ( a bit like hens teeth, not many of them ) Vcr is deficient in physicality on the blue line

ne and there is a cost for that

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm not arguing we could use some additional physicality on our back end. Maybe that's part of my proposed Virtanen for D trade? I'd have happily added Tryamkin but clearly that's not in the cards right now and that's due to both Tryamkin and covid. Neither of which the team control.

Leivo isn't even healthy yet AFAIK. I'm not sure we'd even re-sign him next year even if we did need the F depth. Which we don't. We have more forward depth than we need as it is. Hence my suggestion to move Roussel. He'd be the cost to keep Toffoli. He's a sought after player that's movable and would clear $3m. If we don't retain Toffoli, we likely don't need to move Roussel.

I don't think anyone is banking on Ferland being healthy. We still likely wouldn't be signing Leivo for the above reasons, or if we do, it will be cheap. Are people actually panicking about a hobbled, questionable to play again Leivo possibly walking? :blink: We have prospects to fill that hole or at worst, a short term, journeymen NHL'er desperate for a low dollar covid-cap contact to stay in the league if we need to. And again, we have TONNES of F depth.

Ericksson and Beagle have nothing to do with either covid or the flat cap. That's a red herring :sadno: I'll say this I'd like to see some prospects brought in to give experience to but again, what's getting in the way ..... Ericksson and Beagle

13 hours ago, aGENT said:

You do realize there's reasoning for letting plugs absorb all that vitriol ('poo') on what are likely to be struggling teams, in tough, rebuilding years, rather than prospects you'd hope have a long term future with the club... right?

You say'in they were tanking to get better picks?

3 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

You make a reasonable point, but before we throw Tryamkin under the bus think of what we could have done with an extra $9.0 mill I don't see many replacement for a 6'8/250  Defenseman around ( a bit like hens teeth, not many of them ) Vcr is deficient in physicality on the blue line

ne and there is a cost for that

Yeah, I think if our cap situation was in better shape we give him a shot..

I also agree he has an intriguing frame but he’s also a pretty big gamble.  I’m sure he’s still a no-go to the AHL and we’re really shifting to try and be competitive so whoever signs needs to be able to play.

I hope he has a bounce back year in the K and comes back ready to lock down a spot... not be a huge question mark.

Tryamkin would have had to wait until at least December to play again. Now he gets a full salary for a season in the KHL and can come to our team next year mid-season and get another partial salary. Makes perfect sense from his perspective.

The above is contingent upon the KHL starting as usual and the NHL moving start and end dates, as is widely speculated.

10 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Tryamkin would have had to wait until at least December to play again. Now he gets a full salary for a season in the KHL and can come to our team next year mid-season and get another partial salary. Makes perfect sense from his perspective.

The above is contingent upon the KHL starting as usual and the NHL moving start and end dates, as is widely speculated.

The guy had to make a move or he may have ended up with no roster spot in the K either

• Cheers 2

44 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

He can't though. Not if the NHL starts on time - scheduled tentatively for 1 December.  He will be past the RFA signing deadline and will have to wait for 2021/22 to play in Vancouver.  The NHL season would have to start sometime in February for him to have a chance to make the RFA signing deadline - it's about a quarter into the season.