Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Well, Brisebois, Rathbone and Juolevi all play the left side and what no one wants to address is lack of physicality on the back end. Tryamkin plays a different role. If Ferland can play his physical game ditto Rousell then it helps but it does not address IMO a glaring need on the blue line especially come the play-offs. I have reservations about putting a wager on Ferlands future in the league!  Leivo is a player than can play 2/3/4 line with ease and chip in some goals. Far better than Beagle and Sutter IMO Leive had 20 pts in 40 games that translates to 40 pts in 80 games. That's better than Sutter, Erickson, Rousell,  Beagle and Motte.

I'm not arguing we could use some additional physicality on our back end. Maybe that's part of my proposed Virtanen for D trade? I'd have happily added Tryamkin but clearly that's not in the cards right now and that's due to both Tryamkin and covid. Neither of which the team control.

 

Leivo isn't even healthy yet AFAIK. I'm not sure we'd even re-sign him next year even if we did need the F depth. Which we don't. We have more forward depth than we need as it is. Hence my suggestion to move Roussel. He'd be the cost to keep Toffoli. He's a sought after player that's movable and would clear $3m. If we don't retain Toffoli, we likely don't need to move Roussel.

 

I don't think anyone is banking on Ferland being healthy. We still likely wouldn't be signing Leivo for the above reasons, or if we do, it will be cheap. Are people actually panicking about a hobbled, questionable to play again Leivo possibly walking? :blink: We have prospects to fill that hole or at worst, a short term, journeymen NHL'er desperate for a low dollar covid-cap contact to stay in the league if we need to. And again, we have TONNES of F depth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

The news is a little disappointing but I called this back when he walked... just might not be room for him when he wants to return.  I didn’t necessarily mean cap space but there’s no way JB can drop a 2-3 mil on a flyer.  


His last two crappy years in the KHL don’t help at all.  If he had stayed and applied himself it’s a different story.... but doesn’t look like he has the drive to make it in the NHL. 

You make a reasonable point, but before we throw Tryamkin under the bus think of what we could have done with an extra $9.0 mill I don't see many replacement for a 6'8/250  Defenseman around ( a bit like hens teeth, not many of them ) Vcr is deficient in physicality on the blue line

ne and there is a cost for that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm not arguing we could use some additional physicality on our back end. Maybe that's part of my proposed Virtanen for D trade? I'd have happily added Tryamkin but clearly that's not in the cards right now and that's due to both Tryamkin and covid. Neither of which the team control.

 

Leivo isn't even healthy yet AFAIK. I'm not sure we'd even re-sign him next year even if we did need the F depth. Which we don't. We have more forward depth than we need as it is. Hence my suggestion to move Roussel. He'd be the cost to keep Toffoli. He's a sought after player that's movable and would clear $3m. If we don't retain Toffoli, we likely don't need to move Roussel.

 

I don't think anyone is banking on Ferland being healthy. We still likely wouldn't be signing Leivo for the above reasons, or if we do, it will be cheap. Are people actually panicking about a hobbled, questionable to play again Leivo possibly walking? :blink: We have prospects to fill that hole or at worst, a short term, journeymen NHL'er desperate for a low dollar covid-cap contact to stay in the league if we need to. And again, we have TONNES of F depth.

Ericksson and Beagle have nothing to do with either covid or the flat cap. That's a red herring :sadno: I'll say this I'd like to see some prospects brought in to give experience to but again, what's getting in the way ..... Ericksson and Beagle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, aGENT said:

You do realize there's reasoning for letting plugs absorb all that vitriol ('poo') on what are likely to be struggling teams, in tough, rebuilding years, rather than prospects you'd hope have a long term future with the club... right?

You say'in they were tanking to get better picks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

You make a reasonable point, but before we throw Tryamkin under the bus think of what we could have done with an extra $9.0 mill I don't see many replacement for a 6'8/250  Defenseman around ( a bit like hens teeth, not many of them ) Vcr is deficient in physicality on the blue line

ne and there is a cost for that

Yeah, I think if our cap situation was in better shape we give him a shot..

 

I also agree he has an intriguing frame but he’s also a pretty big gamble.  I’m sure he’s still a no-go to the AHL and we’re really shifting to try and be competitive so whoever signs needs to be able to play.
 

I hope he has a bounce back year in the K and comes back ready to lock down a spot... not be a huge question mark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tryamkin would have had to wait until at least December to play again. Now he gets a full salary for a season in the KHL and can come to our team next year mid-season and get another partial salary. Makes perfect sense from his perspective.

 

The above is contingent upon the KHL starting as usual and the NHL moving start and end dates, as is widely speculated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Tryamkin would have had to wait until at least December to play again. Now he gets a full salary for a season in the KHL and can come to our team next year mid-season and get another partial salary. Makes perfect sense from his perspective.

 

The above is contingent upon the KHL starting as usual and the NHL moving start and end dates, as is widely speculated.

The guy had to make a move or he may have ended up with no roster spot in the K either

  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Tryamkin would have had to wait until at least December to play again. Now he gets a full salary for a season in the KHL and can come to our team next year mid-season and get another partial salary. Makes perfect sense from his perspective.

 

The above is contingent upon the KHL starting as usual and the NHL moving start and end dates, as is widely speculated.

He can't though. Not if the NHL starts on time - scheduled tentatively for 1 December.  He will be past the RFA signing deadline and will have to wait for 2021/22 to play in Vancouver.  The NHL season would have to start sometime in February for him to have a chance to make the RFA signing deadline - it's about a quarter into the season.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mll said:

He can't though. Not if the NHL starts on time - scheduled tentatively for 1 December.  He will be past the RFA signing deadline and will have to wait for 2021/22 to play in Vancouver.  The NHL season would have to start sometime in February for him to have a chance to make the RFA signing deadline - it's about a quarter into the season.  

I would imagine they adjust that date to account for players in other leagues no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, mll said:

He can't though. Not if the NHL starts on time - scheduled tentatively for 1 December.  He will be past the RFA signing deadline and will have to wait for 2021/22 to play in Vancouver.  The NHL season would have to start sometime in February for him to have a chance to make the RFA signing deadline - it's about a quarter into the season.  

I posted that before I read the signing in the KHL thread. I hope there is some kind of agreement in place by then otherwise KHL players will have to sit idle for the better part of a year to transition back to the NHL. That's asking a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I would imagine they adjust that date to account for players in other leagues no?

No.  It's a CBA clause.  Normally it's 1 December for a start in October - about 25% into the season.  There's never been any exception.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The guy just had his first child with the mother and family there to help while he is away. With COVID and the new culture with the child I see no way he was coming over for next year. A one year contract is great news as clearly he wants back over when the situation suits his family better. 

Edited by KyGuy123
  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think the “let’s try again next year” sentiment is sincere. IIRC, we hold rights until July 1st, 2022, so next year will be the last window of real control that the Canucks have. If Tryamkin wanted to simply wait out Vancouver, he could’ve signed two years in the KHL.

Same. Already, local “scribes” are stating that the ship has sailed and are focusing on other UFAs. 

 

This season is an anomaly in a number of ways, and based on what those actually involved in the team say, it sounds as though next season would be the one to focus on. 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

Tryamkin would have had to wait until at least December to play again. Now he gets a full salary for a season in the KHL and can come to our team next year mid-season and get another partial salary. Makes perfect sense from his perspective.

 

The above is contingent upon the KHL starting as usual and the NHL moving start and end dates, as is widely speculated.

Yeah he gets a legit double dip,  if he switches back to the NHL next year mid season.  Who knows maybe Diamond added him an out clause in this Avto contract. If he plays his cards right he can collect 2 pay checks. And keep playing not sitting around till next year.

It ain't over till it's over.

Stayed tuned!

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Ericksson and Beagle have nothing to do with either covid or the flat cap. That's a red herring :sadno: I'll say this I'd like to see some prospects brought in to give experience to but again, what's getting in the way ..... Ericksson and Beagle

First, I never even mentioned Beagle or Eriksson... speaking of red herrings. Second, Beagle is in no way a 'bad' contract. Third, neither are 'in the way' of any prospects. Fourth wtf are you going on about.. random firing Fred neuron ramblings?

 

3 hours ago, Pete M said:

You say'in they were tanking to get better picks?

Nope. I'm saying management had little appetite for making, what were very limited prospects to start with, sacrificial lambs in a ridiculously panicky and melodramatic market.

 

2 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Yeah, I think if our cap situation was in better shape we give him a shot..

Maybe. Maybe not at the price Tryamkin was asking though. He hasn't played since February. The way things are going he likely wouldn't have played for us until December/January. I'm not sure that was a great option for him.

 

1 hour ago, mll said:

He can't though. Not if the NHL starts on time - scheduled tentatively for 1 December.  He will be past the RFA signing deadline and will have to wait for 2021/22 to play in Vancouver.  The NHL season would have to start sometime in February for him to have a chance to make the RFA signing deadline - it's about a quarter into the season.  

Maybe... But given that nobody knows anything right now and that dates and situations are changing daily, you can't make that claim as absolute, with any sort of certainly.

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's probably just waiting for his #88 to be freed up. Gaudette... are you listening?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.