KHL is willing to give out contracts, however our NHL season next year is uncertain at the moment, so there is no point adding any more players, and he be left in limbo so I understand Tryamkins point too.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

KHL is willing to give out contracts, however our NHL season next year is uncertain at the moment, so there is no point adding any more players, and he be left in limbo so I understand Tryamkins point too.

And likewise ,  who knows how the KHL Season might progress or be halted..    they stopped playoff hockey and canceled the last season in April.

Apparently , Science is expecting another wave of the same this fall / Winter.

The Caps the problem coming back to bite them, this from Tryamkins agent Todd Diamond

"I've been in this business 25 years. I don't need anybody to tell me they have a cap issue. Everybody in Vancouver media and in the NHL knows it. They're probably feeling a bit of relief that we took one issue off the table." Diamond on Tryamkin staying in KHL

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, aGENT said:

[...]

Maybe... But given that nobody knows anything right now and that dates and situations are changing daily, you can't make that claim as absolute, with any sort of certainly.

That's why I haven't.  It's a quarter into the season and you start counting from the start date on.  The CBA MOU says tentative date is 1 December - it's not even an absolute date.

The KHL looks to be starting on time though.  Training camp is already under way.

Edited by mll
  • Hydration 3

21 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Oh, I understand that Covid forced the cap to stay flat...

But even with a cap raise we would have been tight and there would have been player movement

Time to move on, but I bet Benning was squirming a little before Rathbone signed.....

I think he looks real bad on this one

Absolutely overreacting.  
The cap situation isn’t half as bad as you think it is.   
Chances are we resign mostly everyone, as long as their asks are reasonable.  
We probably see a vet or two go. 
Big woop. 

Agents talk $&!#, and it is their job to support the player. That includes image to the public. 
Chances are they guy that didn’t want to be here before, probably still doesn’t.   
He is probably worth 1.5.  We could fit that.   He doesn’t want to come here so he asks for 3 knowing we can’t fit it.  
They get to say it’s Canucks fault he didn’t come to the NHL, and he drives up his KHL contract.  

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, BlastPast said:

Todd Diamond sure does love to talk to the media.

Todd Diamond is a snake oil salesmen 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Absolutely overreacting.  
The cap situation isn’t half as bad as you think it is.   
Chances are we resign mostly everyone, as long as their asks are reasonable.  
We probably see a vet or two go. 
Big woop. 

Agents talk $&!#, and it is their job to support the player. That includes image to the public. 
Chances are they guy that didn’t want to be here before, probably still doesn’t.   
He is probably worth 1.5.  We could fit that.   He doesn’t want to come here so he asks for 3 knowing we can’t fit it.  
They get to say it’s Canucks fault he didn’t come to the NHL, and he drives up his KHL contract.  

Per Dhaliwal he turned down a deal earlier this year from his KHL team because he wanted to come to Vancouver.  Now he had to take a 15-20% pay-cut as that deal was no longer on the table.

He also says that Diamond talked to AGM Gear who told him the Canucks are not giving out 1-way deals at the moment.  He wonders if it's not a directive from ownership who doesn't want to end up paying an NHL salary in the AHL.

You can listen to Dhaliwal here: 

https://c1.futuripost.com/ckstam/playlist/dhaliwal-tryamkin-wanted-to-return-was-saying-all-the-right-things-but-the-canucks-couldnt-do-a-1-way-deal-25623.html

Btw the highest salary in the KHL this season is Shipachyov at circa 1.75M.  The 25th highest salary is half that amount (~ 875K).

Edited by mll
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, mll said:

Per Dhaliwal he turned down a deal earlier this year from his KHL team because he wanted to come to Vancouver.  Now he had to take a 15-20% pay-cut as that deal was no longer on the table.

He also says that Diamond talked to AGM Gear who told him the Canucks are not giving out 1-way deals at the moment.  He wonders if it's not a directive from ownership who doesn't want to end up paying an NHL salary in the AHL.

You can listen to Dhaliwal here: 

https://c1.futuripost.com/ckstam/playlist/dhaliwal-tryamkin-wanted-to-return-was-saying-all-the-right-things-but-the-canucks-couldnt-do-a-1-way-deal-25623.html

Btw the highest salary in the KHL this season is Shipachyov at circa 1.75M.  The 25th highest salary is half that amount (~ 875K).

Hmmm. 
I’ll wait to hear the other side of the story, not just the agent.  
BUT 

I could be wrong.  Lol.  

It’s not like the KHL would just pass him by.  There was no need for this contract urgency on his end.    
If the Canucks could sign him to something fair, pretty sure they would.   
Let Stetcher walk if needed.  

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Todd Diamond is a snake oil salesmen 

Brings a smile to my face. One person that does actually know some thing about the subject but counter to the cheerleaders get the insults and bad mouthing. Because he doesn't agree with your position there's no need to resort to this. Just imagine every time you hit a sticking point in negotiations you resort to this tactic, there's be no negotiations :)

Edited by Fred65

Yah, just imagine not taking Benning at his word when Benning would know what he said, meant and was doing, but that runs counter to all the negative nelllies and their continual put downs.

so I expect to never see another post criticizing J.B. on this forum, amirite?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Hmmm. 
BUT 

I could be wrong.  Lol.  

It’s not like the KHL would just pass him by.  There was no need for this contract urgency on his end.    

Training camp in the KHL is starting now and they have a salary cap in place. No guarantee that his team would have a spot for him later in the season.

He is at risk of being without a contract depending on how the Canucks' off-season plays out.  The belief is that it's going to be much harder to move unwanted contracts because of the flat cap.  Also some teams might no longer be willing to spend to the cap until there's more normalcy and they can have fans back in the stands.  Owners are going to lose considerable money next year and they might not want to compound their losses and decide to impose an internal cap.  

It's unclear where every team stands and what was a possible trade a few months ago might not be available anymore.  We don't know yet how teams are approaching their spending for next season.  Not every owner is necessarily cash rich vs asset rich.  Some unexpected players could become available and teams probably want to retain some flexibility.

It's perfectly reasonable for him to return back for another season.  He needs some guarantee which the Canucks where not in position to offer him right now.  His side is a bit upset because they wanted to sign but will try again next year.

From the Canucks point of view it also makes sense. They don't know yet if they can move the contracts they want to move.  Tryamkin would be a nice add but he was not a priority over Toffoli, Markstrom and even Tanev.  They first need to figure out how much cap they have available. 

Edited by mll
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, drummerboy said:

Hmmm. 
BUT 

I could be wrong.  Lol.  

You can be right about the rest, even if he did take a hit in the K by losing some bargaining leverage. Yeah, no kidding his agent is pissed, there goes his extra commission lol.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

The Caps the problem coming back to bite them, this from Tryamkins agent Todd Diamond

The cap issue has changed due to Covid. There were projections of a pretty big jump of the cap this coming season prior to this. This would've given more breathing room, plus more flexibility in moving contracts. There was no indication of a flat cap on a few months ago. So of course plans have had to change and things are still changing.

We signed vets to insulate the prospects and to give them competition (not the LE signing though, that was for a different reason IMO) and simply the team has surged back up much quicker than expected (with the help of nailing many picks that were ready to jump start the new core). This IMO is clearly showing that the system Benning had to develop the prospects (on top of drafting them) is working extremely well.

So yes there is work to be done to make everything fit now, but the situation isn't dire and there are many teams that are facing this issue, not just us. Even cap floor teams like Ottawa are going to feel this crunch as they weren't likely drawing much revenue, so even their internal cap will take a hit. The cap issue that we are seeing is a league-wide problem (unfortunately for this year's batch of UFAs and RFAs).

• Hydration 3
  • Upvote 1

My take on Tryamkin: He should not have left in 2017. By leaving the organization, he runs the risk of losing quality development time in the NHL and he also lost his spot as the team is definitely signing or drafting other players to replace his spot in the line up. Now he plans for a return, the team have already made other plans and this just adds the extra hurdle for him to return. If he had stayed in Vancouver, and followed the instructions of the coaching and conditioning staff, he may have developed into a top 4 Defenseman by now (or he may not). However, by returning home, he has given up his spot and now it is hard for him to take it back. If the feud was really between him and Willie, then he really should've stuck around as Willie is gone immediately after the 2016-17 season.

• Hydration 2

10 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

My take on Tryamkin: He should not have left in 2017. By leaving the organization, he runs the risk of losing quality development time in the NHL and he also lost his spot as the team is definitely signing or drafting other players to replace his spot in the line up. Now he plans for a return, the team have already made other plans and this just adds the extra hurdle for him to return. If he had stayed in Vancouver, and followed the instructions of the coaching and conditioning staff, he may have developed into a top 4 Defenseman by now (or he may not). However, by returning home, he has given up his spot and now it is hard for him to take it back. If the feud was really between him and Willie, then he really should've stuck around as Willie is gone immediately after the 2016-17 season.

You're right that the situation is likely his own doing by going back. But we don't really know the true reason for his return as it was also hinted as family reasons as well and family should always come first (which is a character thing which is also shown in him honouring his contracts). However both sides seemed to want to make it work and without all the uncertainty of what's going on right now, I believe it would've happened already.

59 minutes ago, CanuckCup2022 said:

Every agent is....

That's their job