The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

2 hours ago, Slegr said:

I like the idea of buying out his KHL contract and signing him for this season. I hope that it’s an idea that management is at least exploring. It would solve some immediate problems and not hurt our cap situation.

If it’s possible then I’m all for it.  Give his KHL team some decent money in buying out the contract and bring him into the fold on RD.  Timing is perfect and he’s exactly what we need.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2020 at 1:59 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It's pretty complex and I can't for the life of me remember exactly how all the rules shake out. Here's my best recollection:

IIRC, because Tryamkin is technically considered an RFA, then the December 1st signing deadline applies, as far as whether or not he can join an NHL team in-season. So, I believe he can't simply sign and join the Canucks right after his KHL deal expires.

AFAIK, the Canucks can start negotiating a contract with him when this KHL season ends, but they can't actually sign a deal and bring him over for the end of the 2020-21season. They'd have to sign a 2021-22 effective contract. And his rights don't expire until summer 2022, so as far as the 2021-22 season goes, his choices are the Canucks (or whoever holds his rights--if they're traded), or nothing.

Interestingly, another wrinkle is that his KHL status actually exempts him from the expansion draft (the Canucks have confirmed this), so at least Seattle can't scoop up his rights.

It's basically Vancouver or bust for Nikita (at least until 2022-23), and IIRC the earliest he can actually play for the Canucks is the 2021-22 season.

(If others have the straight goods on all this, please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm just going off the top of my head here and I'm not exactly 100% sure I'm correct.)

So only way to join the Canucks is if his agent negotiated an out clause in Tryamkin's KHL contract? I doubt he would, all previous indications point towards him probably wanting to finish the season with his team, but just curious?

Sorry if it's been already addressed in the thread.

On 9/26/2020 at 1:32 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

More physically imposing is an understatement.  Tryamkin is probably the only player in NHL history who has been able to rag doll a guy who was 230 pounds.  I'd say if he were to play for the Canucks today he would be even stronger than before.  He is a bigger and stronger version of his countryman, Nikita Zadorov.  That's really the best comparison out there.

True. But also

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Vanuckles said:

So only way to join the Canucks is if his agent negotiated an out clause in Tryamkin's KHL contract? I doubt he would, all previous indications point towards him probably wanting to finish the season with his team, but just curious?

Sorry if it's been already addressed in the thread.

It’s more about eligibility. RFAs that don’t sign a new NHL SPC (standard player contract) before December 1st are not eligible to play in the NHL that season.

Of course, with COVID-19, that December 1st deadline will likely be pushed back a couple months, since the season won’t even be started yet in early December. I haven’t heard anything about what the new date might be. But I suspect Tryamkin won’t be finished his KHL season in time, regardless. 

So he can sign after his 2020-21 KHL season finishes. But he probably won’t be eligible to play in the NHL until the 2021-22 season.

EDIT: I suppose with an out clause he could potentially leave his KHL team mid season, before the RFA signing deadline, and sign an new contract with Vancouver and join the team. That’s probably what you were asking, lol. Sorry, I’m tired and missed that. So yeah, that could work, if he had an out clause and negotiated a 2020-21 NHL SPC before the deadline.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It’s more about eligibility. RFAs that don’t sign a new NHL SPC (standard player contract) before December 1st are not eligible to play in the NHL that season.

Of course, with COVID-19, that December 1st deadline will likely be pushed back a couple months, since the season won’t even be started yet in early December. I haven’t heard anything about what the new date might be. But I suspect Tryamkin won’t be finished his KHL season in time, regardless. 

So he can sign after his 2020-21 KHL season finishes. But he probably won’t be eligible to play in the NHL until the 2021-22 season.

EDIT: I suppose with an out clause he could potentially leave his KHL team mid season, before the RFA signing deadline, and sign an new contract with Vancouver and join the team. That’s probably what you were asking, lol. Sorry, I’m tired and missed that. So yeah, that could work, if he had an out clause and negotiated a 2020-21 NHL SPC before the deadline.

Sid,.  The KHL has an out clause for him, I just hope his agent specified this possible scenario to his KHL Club..

I copied and pasted this from the KHL Regulations, and from my earlier post here.

it is worth the read.

lets also understand that if the NHL timetable for a season has changed, rightfully so should some of its deadlines regarding players entering the NHL from other leagues.

Article 32. Early termination of the Standard KHL Hockey Player’s Contract at the Hockey Player’s initiative
1. In accordance with Part 2, Article 348.12 of the Labor Code of the Russian Federation, in case of early termination of the Contract at the Hockey Player’s initiative (on his own volition), the Hock- ey Player shall submit a written application to the Club informing it of its will to terminate the Contract within the term stipulated as of the date of such application submission by the FHR norms.
The Hockey Player shall submit the above-mentioned application also to the KHL CIB.
During this term, the Club is not entitled to execute any exchange contracts in relation to the above-mentioned Hockey Player.
(last updated on July 4, 2018. Minutes of meeting of CHL LLC Board of Directors No. 85 dated July 4, 2018)
2. In case of early termination of the Contract at the Hockey Player’s initiative (on his own volition), the Hockey Player shall perform a monetary payment in favor of the Club with which the Contract was terminated, according to the following procedure and in the following amount:
a) if the Hockey Player has not reached by termination of the Contract 29 years, he shall pay the Club 2/3 of the earned remuneration (fee) amount that was not paid for the period remaining till the Contract expiry;
KHL LEGAL REGULATIONS
b) if the Hockey Player has reached by termination of the Contract 29 years, he shall pay the Club 1/3 of the earned remuneration (fee) amount that was not paid for the period remaining till the Contract expiry.
According to the agreement between the Club and the Hockey Player, the Contract can also be terminated without payment of compensation by the Hockey Player.
3. The basis for such monetary payment includes the following: the Labor Code of the Russian Fed- eration (Art. 348.12 of the Labor Code of the Russian Federation), the Contract Termination Agreement, the Contract, and these Regulations.
4. The Hockey Player shall perform the above-mentioned monetary payment in favor of the Club within two (2) months upon termination of the Contract.
5. The Club with which the Hockey Player terminated the Contract at his own initiative, reserves its rights to such Hockey Player for the term that is equal to the period left till the date of the Contract expiry, namely:
a) the Club is granted the right to execute an exchange contract with another Club in relation to any rights to the Player (subclause c, clause 8, Article 38 of the KHL Legal Regulations);
b) upon the Contract expiry, the Club reserves its right to extent the sports rights in relation to the Hockey Player under 29 years by sending him a contract offer via KHL CIB Electronic Base.
6. In case within the set term no compensation stipulated by this Article is paid, the Contract is deemed terminated in an improper way. The Hockey Player is assigned with the status “Conflict”, while the rights to such Player in the Competition System are reserved to the Club for an indefi- nite term. In case of return to the Competition System, the Player shall send a written notice of his return to the League and the Club left by him:
(last updated on July 4, 2018. Minutes of meeting of CHL LLC Board of Directors No. 85 dated July 4, 2018)
a) irrespective of the return time (before expiry of the Contract or thereafter), the Hockey Player
shall fulfill his contract obligations to the Club that were not fulfilled as of leaving the Club, i.e. the Hockey Player shall render the Club any services of the Professional Hockey Player during the term that is equal to a time period when he did not fulfill his obligations under the Contract;
b) after the Hockey Player under 29 years fulfills his contractual obligations, the Club is entitled to send him a qualifying offer, in this case the Hockey Player shall acquire the PFA status;
c) the Hockey Player of 29 years and more will acquire the FFA status after fulfillment of all con- tractual obligations.
In case the sports rights to the Hockey Player are exchanged to another Club, the Disciplinary Committee can decide to impose sanctions upon the Hockey Player who failed to pay compensa- tion stipulated by this Article (a prohibition against attending the Games, etc.).
7. Early termination of the Contract initiated by the Hockey Player shall be executed by the Agree- ment (Appendix 15 to the KHL Legal Regulations). The Agreement signed by the parties shall be submitted to the League within 24 hours upon signature thereof, including via CIB Electronic Base. In case of early termination of the Contract, the Club shall submit to the League a statement of the Hockey Player’s income in the Club with the signature of a person authorized to act on be- half of the Club (or another authorized person) and the Chief Accountant., The Statement shall contain information on the paid remuneration (fee), individual and team bonuses, as well as other compensations. If the Hockey Player is unable or refuses to sign the above-mentioned Agreement, the Club shall submit to the League a certificate of inability or refusal to sign the Agreement signed by the commission encompassing the management of the Club, as well as an order for dis- missal of an employee and a certificate of an employee’s inability to review the order in case such review is impossible. In case of unduly notification of the League of terminated Contracts, as well as submission of the Agreements not complying with the Standard Form, the Department of Com- petitions can impose sanctions upon the Club in accordance with the KHL Disciplinary Regula- tions.
8. Within the period from the play-off start date till April 30, the Hockey Player is not entitled to ear- ly terminate the Contract at its own initiative.

(Appendix 15 agreement)

KHL LEGAL REGULATIONS
AGREEMENT
on termination of the labor contract (Professional Hockey Player’s Contract) between the Club and the Hockey Player at the Hockey Player’s initiative
city of _________________, Russian Federation
_______________, 20___
This Agreement on termination of the labor contract (Professional Hockey Player’s Contract) (hereinafter, the Agreement) between the Club and the Hockey Player is a legally executed written agreement resulting in termination of the labor agreement (Professional Hockey Player’s Contract) dd. ______________, 20__ No. _____ (hereinafter, the labor agreement).
The Agreement is valid irrespective of the Hockey Player’s written application but together with an order on termination of the labor agreement with an employee (dismissal).
The Club as the Employer — ________________________________________________, repre- sented by _______________________________, acting on the basis of the Charter, of the one part, and the Hockey Player as the Employee — _____________________________________, of the other part, have executed this Agreement as follows:
1. The labor relations between the Club as the Employer and the Hockey Player as the Employee shall be terminated on ____________________, 20__. In connection with the Hockey Player’s will and initiative in respect of termination of the labor agreement according to the agreement of the Par- ties, this labor agreement shall be terminated according to the Contract, provision of the Legal Regula- tions of the Kontinental Hockey League (hereinafter, the Regulations).
Termination of the labor agreement shall be executed in the Club according to the agreement of the parties in accordance with clause 1, Part 1, Article 77 of the Labor Code of the Russian Federation. The following record shall be included into the work record book: “Dismissed according to the agree- ment of the parties, clause 1, Part 1, Article 77 of the Labor Code of the Russian Federation”. The work record book shall be issued to the Employee on the last day of employment: ______________, 20__.
2. On the last day of the Hockey Player’s employment, the Club shall issue the Hockey Player other documents related to his work according to the Hockey Player’s written application and perform final settlements with him in terms of remuneration and incentive payments:
__________________________________________________________________________________ _________________________________________________________________________________ . 3. Due to the requirements stipulated by the Professional Hockey Player’s Contract and provision of the Regulations, the Hockey Player shall perform a monetary payment to the Club according to the
following procedure and in the following amount:
a) if the Hockey Player has not reached by termination of the labor agreement 29 years, he shall
pay the Club 2/3 of the remuneration amount that shall be paid for the period remaining till the labor agreement expiry;
b) if the Hockey Player has reached by termination of the labor agreement 29 years, he shall pay the Club 1/3 of the remuneration amount that shall be paid for the period remaining till the labor agreement expiry.
The Hockey Player shall perform the above-mentioned monetary payment in favor of the Club within two (2) months upon termination of the labor agreement.
4. This Agreement is drawn up in three copies having equal legal force, one copy for each of the Parties and one copy for the KHL CIB.
The Club as the Employer:
The Hockey Player as the Employee:

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, Hosjes said:

Everyone talking about Canucks buying out his khl contract are seemingly forgetting aquillinis dont want to be wasting any $$$ right now everyone trying not to spend any extra dead money

They saved a bunch today when Jim dozed off for 40 minutes

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Hosjes said:

Everyone talking about Canucks buying out his khl contract are seemingly forgetting aquillinis dont want to be wasting any $$$ right now everyone trying not to spend any extra dead money

He can buy out his own contract with his own money.

The most his buy out would cost is 2/3rds of his money owed on his contract.

His contract has been reported as 900,000. Usd.

So at the beginning of his season it would have cost him the most at 600k.

The buy out is probably around 400k right now.

The Canuck franchise can have nothing to do with it.. legally, or otherwise. That would be tampering.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Sid,.  The KHL has an out clause for him, I just hope his agent specified this possible scenario to his KHL Club..

I copied and pasted this from the KHL Regulations, and from my earlier post here.

Yeah, sorry, I wasn’t really clear there. You’re right that every KHL contract has a form of “out clause” by virtue of the termination agreement, where the player pays 2/3 of remaining salary (or 1/3 for older guys), to break their deals.

But AFAIK, the KHL also allows for “out clauses” to be written into contracts, with a negotiated fee, or in some cases, no fee at all, required for the KHL player to break their deal and leave for the NHL.

I’m not 100% on whether or not this is still the case. The KHL has, like the NHL, agreements and regulations that change and get renegotiated, so I’m not sure how they currently operate around player specific “out clauses” written into contracts.

You can read about one here from a few years ago:

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/professional/sobotka-can-t-get-out-of-khl-contract/article_b6c2ec14-cb80-5f1b-ad44-5e549afe38f7.html

Kinda shady situations where Sobotka has his deal renegotiated and he signed it without realizing his out clause (which was included in the first version) had been removed, without his knowledge.

I believe Sobotka fired his agent shortly after this happened.

So a player can have an out clause written into his deal that allows him to bypass the standard termination agreement and fees, and simply just bolt when he wants to go back to the NHL, without being on the hook for any money.

I don’t think Tryamkin has this type of out clause, however.

But he certainly has the right to pursue termination, under the KHL agreement you cited. I’m just not sure he’d be willing to shell out the money for that.

And I’m not sure the NHL club is allowed to pay it for him. They were allowed to do that stuff in the good old days, but I think now, it might be considered circumvention for an NHL team to cover the termination fees for a KHL player they plan to sign. It’d be kind of like giving the player extra money off the books.

EDIT: The last paragraph above is indeed the case. NHL teams can’t help out with termination fees. It is circumvention. The article I linked makes this clear near the end.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

The Canuck franchise can have nothing to do with it.. legally, or otherwise. That would be tampering.

Certainly that 400K would be affordable, if Tryamkin were leaving the KHL to sign a $2-3M contract with the Canucks. He’d still make more money for the year, even paying that fee out of his own pocket. It will be interesting to see what he does (and what the Canucks do), but it’s conceivable that he could be signed for opening day of the Canucks’ 2020-21 season. He’d just need to come up with that ~400K termination fee, which he’d make back (and more) fairly quickly. It would appear to be in his financial interest to do this, if the Canucks decide to bring him back.

Still, I’m not sure if he’ll do it or not. I have a feeling he might just finish out the deal, even if it doesn’t make the most sense, financially speaking. Tryamkin seems to be a guy who believes in honouring his commitments, and I could see him completing the full KHL season, before making his next move.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Certainly that 400K would be affordable, if Tryamkin were leaving the KHL to sign a $2-3M contract with the Canucks. He’d still make more money for the year, even paying that fee out of his own pocket. It will be interesting to see what he does (and what the Canucks do), but it’s conceivable that he could be signed for opening day of the Canucks’ 2020-21 season. He’d just need to come up with that ~400K termination fee, which he’d make back (and more) fairly quickly. It would appear to be in his financial interest to do this, if the Canucks decide to bring him back.

Still, I’m not sure if he’ll do it or not. I have a feeling he might just finish out the deal, even if it doesn’t make the most sense, financially speaking. Tryamkin seems to be a guy who believes in honouring his commitments, and I could see him completing the full KHL season, before making his next move.

Agree on that and there's also the fact that if he terminates in KHL and join NHL for camp and a season start 1/1 2021 he's in for a VERY long season all in all, not sure that's a good approach. Not sure what the Canucks' take is either, maybe they've already written him off until 21/22.

8 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Why would it be tampering? The NHL doesn't have any agreements with the KHL. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Googlie said:

Bettman would make up some rule then slap a retroactive fine on Vancouver, following precedent.

Probably would, but it’s not tampering.

how do you think player acquisitions happen in La Liga where there are exit clauses that are mandatory and the player has to pay it?

29 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Why would it be tampering? The NHL doesn't have any agreements with the KHL. 

Boud’s I read this last night at a late hour,.  Re-reading it this morning, realizing it’s date, and it’s a dated agreement,

i am probably mistaken with that comment, cheers.

5F00AC23-223F-4C95-9E66-4E74AD5A7BB8.png

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Tram and his agent is just going to wait until the Canucks rights expire. 

Then if he's not in a KHL contract he will sign with another NHL team.

Time to move on. Stop clinging onto false hope he's coming back. 

Almost 30 mins of ice today,  Peters is bringing the best out of him..    and I think Datsyk could easily fit in Tryamkins Duffle bag.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1