The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

7 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Would love to see him here. He is 27 next year and before he knows it he’s wasted a lot of years in the khl.

I wouldn't say that. He's developed there (mentally and physically) and I think he will be more ready to step into the NHL now than when he first got here. He had personal issues to get sorted in Russia, so it's not unreasonable that it took some time before he was fully ready to commit here. He wanted to be here for this current season, but covid made everything uncertain and we couldn't commit to him not knowing the cap situation and he couldn't sit around waiting and not be paid during that whole time.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Funny how something like this will be completely overlooked by those who claim to have "watched" Tryamkin over these years and still believe he's nothing more than a 7/8th dman plug.

In that first clip, he not only kicks it up to his stick, he kicks it to rebound off the boards to his stick; very nice, controlled exit.

• Hydration 2
13 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Have to wonder if that (somewhat anyway) 3rd pair Tanev replacement we're looking for, isn't sitting right there.

Blocking shots, playing solid, hard minute D... But instead of taking hits, he dishes them out ::D

• Hydration 2
3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I wouldn't say that. He's developed there (mentally and physically) and I think he will be more ready to step into the NHL now than when he first got here. He had personal issues to get sorted in Russia, so it's not unreasonable that it took some time before he was fully ready to commit here. He wanted to be here for this current season, but covid made everything uncertain and we couldn't commit to him not knowing the cap situation and he couldn't sit around waiting and not be paid during that whole time.

Not only not being paid, but just sitting around not playing. While I don't buy the theories of some that playing in the KHL causes his skills to regress, sitting around not playing certainly could.

Many big Dmen don't hit their prime until their late twenties, and often are still effective well into their thirties, so I think Tram still has plenty of time to make his mark, and his money, in the NHL.

• Hydration 2
4 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Funny how something like this will be completely overlooked by those who claim to have "watched" Tryamkin over these years and still believe he's nothing more than a 7/8th dman plug.

you coulda tagged me bro

it's one clip. admittedly i havent watched him at all this season but what i saw out of him last season was a whole lotta brain farts in his own end. He gets lost sometimes. He gets turned around. He can be clunky going up against guys who know how to dance around him a bit. That was largely his issue when he first played with us and it's something i've yet to see him fix. So I stand by what I said.

Edit: it's kinda funny how you're still salty over that lmao

Edited by Yung1
  • Wat 1
32 minutes ago, Yung1 said:

you coulda tagged me bro

it's one clip. admittedly i havent watched him at all this season but what i saw out of him last season was a whole lotta brain farts in his own end. He gets lost sometimes. He gets turned around. He can be clunky going up against guys who know how to dance around him a bit. That was largely his issue when he first played with us and it's something i've yet to see him fix. So I stand by what I said.

Edit: it's kinda funny how you're still salty over that lmao

You aren't the only one I'm talking about.

Care to share the "whole lotta brain farts in his own end"? Almost every dman will get danced around on occasion, doesn't make them poor as each have their pros and cons. Tryamkin playing 22-27 minutes a night would suggest the coaching staff sees him as a reliable option despite these supposed gaffes that you speak of. The issue you speak of is likely the fact that he faces the top competition on a regular basis and no one is expecting Tryamkin to be a Norris caliber dman, but not as horrible as you're projecting him to be.

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Have to wonder if that (somewhat anyway) 3rd pair Tanev replacement we're looking for, isn't sitting right there.

Blocking shots, playing solid, hard minute D... But instead of taking hits, he dishes them out ::D

I agree. I don't think he will ever defend with the smarts and overall ability Tanev did for us, but he also brings some elements that Tanev didn't. As long as he's OK with limited ice time (which he SHOULD be, although he wasn't in the past), I think he could be an extremely effective 6th guy for us. And come playoff time, I think his value increases as it pertains to playing the Blues and Vegas-type teams.

I also think that if he plays like he can with crushing hits, that'll make him a fan fav pretty quickly.

• Hydration 1
3 hours ago, kloubek said:

I agree. I don't think he will ever defend with the smarts and overall ability Tanev did for us, but he also brings some elements that Tanev didn't. As long as he's OK with limited ice time (which he SHOULD be, although he wasn't in the past), I think he could be an extremely effective 6th guy for us. And come playoff time, I think his value increases as it pertains to playing the Blues and Vegas-type teams.

I also think that if he plays like he can with crushing hits, that'll make him a fan fav pretty quickly.

Until then, we need to find a short term fill in there for one year. I suppose it could be Benn but maybe Benning can work a little magic there.

Edited by aGENT
4 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Probably because he doesn’t have long shaggy hair flipping around with every short step he takes, or a long ridiculous looking beard with jerky or Cole slaw stuck to it...  the language barrier is always an offset to a guys humour too,  OV being an exception.

Nik is solid.. every part of his game is..  but this stuff is overlooked because he makes it look effortless and unspectacular.

• Hydration 2
1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

Probably because he doesn’t have long shaggy hair flipping around with every short step he takes, or a long ridiculous looking beard with jerky or Cole slaw stuck to it...  the language barrier is always an offset to a guys humour too,  OV being an exception.

Nik is solid.. every part of his game is..  but this stuff is overlooked because he makes it look effortless and unspectacular.

Or they really haven't followed much at all and are trying to sound credible by talking out of their ass from their memories 4 years ago and believing no possibility of development in the KHL.

• Hydration 1
1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Until then, we need to find a short term fill in there for one year. I suppose it could be Benn but maybe Benning can work a little basic there.

Magic. :)

Agree again. Benn actually prefers the right side if I remember correctly but he has been less than stellar since joining us. Rafferty is also a consideration there, though I imagine we would rather have a defensive-minded guy there instead of an offensive one. If Benning doesn't swing real good shutdown guy for the right to join for long-term, I'd like to see a 1 year deal as you describe for a solid but cheaper defensive guy.

Tryamkin can join us late in the season can he not? Then its really just a short term stop-gap until then if so. And if Tryamkin can't cut it, we can look elsewhere next season. 

Adding Schmidt changes quite a bit for us. It's not ideally enough, but with him added and the possibility of a Tryamkin return, combined with OJ getting a shot to show his stuff AND Rathbone waiting in the wings, I like this new direction.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, kloubek said:

Magic. :)

Agree again. Benn actually prefers the right side if I remember correctly but he has been less than stellar since joining us. Rafferty is also a consideration there, though I imagine we would rather have a defensive-minded guy there instead of an offensive one. If Benning doesn't swing real good shutdown guy for the right to join for long-term, I'd like to see a 1 year deal as you describe for a solid but cheaper defensive guy.

Tryamkin can join us late in the season can he not? Then its really just a short term stop-gap until then if so. And if Tryamkin can't cut it, we can look elsewhere next season. 

Adding Schmidt changes quite a bit for us. It's not ideally enough, but with him added and the possibility of a Tryamkin return, combined with OJ getting a shot to show his stuff AND Rathbone waiting in the wings, I like this new direction.

Yes, magic. Freaking autocorrect...

Depends on what they do with adjusting the 'sign free agents before' date, for what will be a delayed season. Normally it's December but I doubt they'll make it so guys playing in Euro leagues can simply show up mid-NHL season once there's are done. Don't expect we'll see him until the year following unfortunately.

And yes, adding Schmidt is a game changer. Suddenly our D prospects don't need to be all world for us to have a very good D unit.

Edited by aGENT
  • Hydration 1

I can see Tryamkin pairing up with Schmidt.  They can both play both sides, so they can switch on the ice at any time.  I think they would make a good pairing.  Myers can play with either Juolevi or Rathbone, so that leaves us still looking for a partner for Hughes.  I can't see a scenario where both Juolevi and Rathbone are on the roster, so I can see a trade where one of them is used as a piece to get a right handed Dman for Hughes.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I can see Tryamkin pairing up with Schmidt.  They can both play both sides, so they can switch on the ice at any time.  I think they would make a good pairing.  Myers can play with either Juolevi or Rathbone, so that leaves us still looking for a partner for Hughes.  I can't see a scenario where both Juolevi and Rathbone are on the roster, so I can see a trade where one of them is used as a piece to get a right handed Dman for Hughes.

Hughes can also play both sides FWIW.

• Hydration 1
9 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Here is a question for you folks.

Could Benning have signed Tryamkin and loaned him back to his current club?

That way not taking the Cap hit until they were ready

Wouldn't that mean they could immediately recall him when the NHL season starts?

Doubt KHL teams would like that

23 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Here is a question for you folks.

Could Benning have signed Tryamkin and loaned him back to his current club?

That way not taking the Cap hit until they were ready

I asked that question a while back Jan,.   And kind of answered it mysel& by saying that his agent should be, and have been seeking all options available for Tryamkin when that window appeared.

Truly a shame if it was not discussed then.

• Hydration 1
1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

I asked that question a while back Jan,.   And kind of answered it mysel& by saying that his agent should be, and have been seeking all options available for Tryamkin when that window appeared.

Truly a shame if it was not discussed then.

At the end of the day, this is a Benning thing

What I do not get, and I mean I do not understand Benning's thinking on it

Is that Tryamkin is a potential 1st or 2nd pairing that would come cheap

It is up to Benning to think of these things and execute them

It is Benning's job to ice the very best team he can, and my dismay is that 

we only own Tryamkin's rights for this coming year and that is it.............

Benning has wasted enough time............

If I am wrong...I am wrong, but if Benning is wrong it could cost us big!

IMO Benning has to think outside the box, and I am not sure he is capable of it

Hense why Eriksson is still here

I think the reason Benning didn’t get the deal done when he could have a few months ago was because he didn’t know if other leagues (AHL, etc) would be running, meaning there might be multiple prospects that need playing time and to be potentially signed by the big club. 
But still, given Tryamkin’s desire to sign, and the need he would fill, I agree that it should have been a sign-and-loan to KHL.