The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

IMHO a 26 year old Tryamkin is faster and a better skater than some D play I saw last night. What I like about Tryamkin's game is his closing speed to the puck carrier and rarely gets pyloned. Call it rust if you want. Nevertheless, lets let it play out for a few games eh?

I'm loving that we added physicality to our D and it did help us clear the zone better ie winning more board battles.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Lazurus said:

Well he took two penalties when McD blew past him and should have had another when McD deked him to sitting down. Mind yo I do see that McD can do that to many dmen but I can't say I saw a hit or great pass.

There is another game tonight so this time i will record it for replays

I totally agree that is why I am mystified that you  guys are putting him on a pedestal. The whole works looked sloppy but here there are posters raving about how much better he is than someone they haven't seen in 2  years. I do try to catch game highlights from the KHL, so I know he is a cornerstone there and Romanov was not that much better. Romanov was more offensive, Tryamkin is working on his defensive game, he gets PK and regular shifts vs top KHL players, just like Romanov did. He skates way better than Edler for sure.

But if a poster hates a player that player will never be any good even if his name was Orr. or Gretzky, just because

Who is putting Hamonic on a pedestal?  On GDT I made the point that Hamonic struggled in that game.   He was top 2 on Flames last year in ice-time and has been a top 4 in the NHL for years.   Tryamkin is a prospect who is getting older all the time and remains to be "working on things".

BTW, McDavid flies by a lot of top four Dmen in NHL.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

IMHO Tryamkin is faster and a better skater than some D play I saw last night. What I like about Tryamkin's game is his closing speed to the puck carrier and rarely gets pyloned. Call it rust if you want. Nevertheless, lets let it play out for a few games eh?

I'm loving that we added physicality to our D and it did help us clear the zone better ie winning more board battles.

Agreed. I like the assortment of defense we have, and if there’s one thing Canucks fans should know is we can never have enough good defensemen because of injuries, so bringing Tryamkin into the fold will be a great thing. He’s built for playoff hockey, and this team is destined for playoffs the next few years.

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Agreed. I like the assortment of defense we have, and if there’s one thing Canucks fans should know is we can never have enough good defensemen because of injuries, so bringing Tryamkin into the fold will be a great thing. He’s built for playoff hockey, and this team is destined for playoffs the next few years.

Yes and he can be an upgrade on Benn for sure, and lets go from there. Additionally, playoffs are a whole other ball of wax physically. Tryamkin will be our best hitter.

• Cheers 2

52 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

McD can skate around practically anyone in the league like they are pylons 

45 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Who is putting Hamonic on a pedestal?  On GDT I made the point that Hamonic struggled in that game.   He was top 2 on Flames last year in ice-time and has been a top 4 in the NHL for years.   Tryamkin is a prospect who is getting older all the time and remains to be "working on things".

BTW, McDavid flies by a lot of top four Dmen in NHL.

As Hamonic is an upgrade on Tanev,  I see where Tryamkin will be an upgrade on Hamonic.

Im hopeful the next season is back to the regular October start and 82 games.

..  btw Rob,  I’m drinking 5 shot lattes /no foam these days ;)

they are as effective as this power move below. 

VV

IMG_0347.thumb.JPG.ce1a500ca04d98f826e21f0ca451f06b.JPG

Edited by SilentSam
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

As Hamonic is an upgrade on Tanev,  I see where Tryamkin will be an upgrade on Hamonic.

Im hopeful the next season is back to the regular October start and 82 games.

..  btw Rob,  I’m drinking 5 shot lattes /no foam these days ;)

they are as effective as this power move below. 

VV

IMG_0347.thumb.JPG.ce1a500ca04d98f826e21f0ca451f06b.JPG

LOL   Sam, for your sake alone I want the big guy to succeed.   You have been his biggest proponent here and every time I see you post, I know how well you will give a reasoned supportive message for the big guy. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

LOL   Sam, for your sake alone I want the big guy to succeed.   You have been his biggest proponent here and every time I see you post, I know how well you will give a reasoned supportive message for the big guy. 

I appreciate that Rob, as I do our fair debate in the past , and in what ever times there are ahead.   Nice to see you back on the board, I truly all is well in your world, it’s been an up-setting one to say the least.

Tryamkin is just coming into his prime, avg around 20 + a game, nothing broken on him,  no heavy duty repairs,. Could be an iron man D for years ,  his work is old school simple and powerful..  can’t think of a single russian that grew a mullet to gain attention ;) 

his +1 in the game below was on the pk where they depend on him shutting down an entire side.   Bill Peters has allowed him to excel, nothing political involved when an NA Coach is behind the bench over there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, nzan said:

You think Hamonic is an upgrade on Tanev?!

Yes.   and I think Tanev was over rated with the Canucks.  Rarely did I see Tanev shut down a forward on the boards,  he tracks, allows entry and time with the puck for opposition in his end.  Never physically engages in that position.

on the other hand that can be a big part of Hamonics game..  

as a D man, Shutdown should be the position you try to put yourself in on a forward in or before entry..  it creates a stop on the entry , a separation from the puck, a broken offensive play..  the same in an offensive cycle.

If you time the body as you target it works..

if your trying to follow and track the puck it dosent.

A good first game with Hamonic last night with a new team in short preparation..

only to get better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Yes.   and I think Tanev was over rated with the Canucks.  Rarely did I see Tanev shut down a forward on the boards,  he tracks, allows entry and time with the puck for opposition in his end.  Never physically engages in that position.

as a D man, Shutdown should be the position you try to put yourself in on a forward in or before entry..  it creates a stop on the entry , a separation from the puck, a broken offensive play..  the same in an offensive cycle.

A good first game with Hamonic last night with a new team in short preparation..

only to get better.

Just a question do you believe that Tryamkin has the "feet or quickness" for today NHL where it's full speed ahead

On 1/12/2021 at 6:24 PM, Kootenay Gold said:

Love your choice of words.... pretty close to the truth though.

Well, they are paying a lot of money to acquire a franchise... gotta get something for all that dough - and each team will have to grant something for their cut of that pie. Sadly, it allows new teams instant credibility without the chore of building a team and their fan’s expectations. But old teams had to surrender something for their massive payoff in cash. They get to jump the cue. If the nhl teams want to give up less, they should charge a smaller entry fee. 

On the other hand, Vegas read the situation pretty much perfectly and did a great job of leveraging their assets (their right to pick) into players and draft picks. Same thing for Seattle except that the rest of the NHL will see Seattle coming. Everybody is subject to everyone elses’s scouting.

30 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Well, they are paying a lot of money to acquire a franchise... gotta get something for all that dough - and each team will have to grant something for their cut of that pie. Sadly, it allows new teams instant credibility without the chore of building a team and their fan’s expectations. But old teams had to surrender something for their massive payoff in cash. They get to jump the cue. If the nhl teams want to give up less, they should charge a smaller entry fee. 

On the other hand, Vegas read the situation pretty much perfectly and did a great job of leveraging their assets (their right to pick) into players and draft picks. Same thing for Seattle except that the rest of the NHL will see Seattle coming. Everybody is subject to everyone elses’s scouting.

Have to agree that most of the GM's will be better prepared for this expansion. Still irks me that the Canucks and Sabers just got scraps when they joined so many years ago

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Just a question do you believe that Tryamkin has the "feet or quickness" for today NHL where it's full speed ahead

Definitely. I've watched a frw of his games this season and his top end speed through the neutral zone is very good. But his quickness to get to the puck carrier is very good and rarely gets caught out of position and closes off forwards well, getting them to the boards or out of the crease. Its a combo of speed and size. Alternatively he uses his poke check with great efficiency too. On one shift I saw him use 3 poke checks to disrupt opposing forwards.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Kootenay Gold said:

Have to agree that most of the GM's will be better prepared for this expansion. Still irks me that the Canucks and Sabers just got scraps when they joined so many years ago

Perrault wasn’t exactly chopped liver. Buffalo and Vancouver did get the first two overall picks in that draft, and persisted in having early round picks for years. Vancouver took Talon, but Leach, MacLeish, and Sittler were available in the first round, and Robinson was available in the second. Buffalo managed to put together one of the most exciting teams in the league. Formed in 1970, by the 74/75 season, the Sabres featured six forwards with over 30 goals and three more with over 20. Two additional forwards had 12 goals each. Vancouver, in the meantime, was first in the Smythe, but about to enter an era of terrible management decisions - among which were trading Vaive and Derlago for Williams and Butler, Harry Neale advised Vancouver not to exercise its claim to a former draft pick, Mike Rogers. Rogers, a centre, went on to have three 100 point plus years in Hartford with the Whalers - becoming the highest scoring centre the Canucks had drafted until Henrik Sedin got 112 points in 2009/2010. Rogers remains the only Canuck drafted centre to have multiple seasons of over one hundred points. Then Cam Neely and a third overall pick for Pederden. 

Nothing can save a team from self-destruction.

20 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Perrault wasn’t exactly chopped liver. Buffalo and Vancouver did get the first two overall picks in that draft, and persisted in having early round picks for years. Vancouver took Talon, but Leach, MacLeish, and Sittler were available in the first round, and Robinson was available in the second. Buffalo managed to put together one of the most exciting teams in the league. Formed in 1970, by the 74/75 season, the Sabres featured six forwards with over 30 goals and three more with over 20. Two additional forwards had 12 goals each. Vancouver, in the meantime, was first in the Smythe, but about to enter an era of terrible management decisions - among which were trading Vaive and Derlago for Williams and Butler, Harry Neale advised Vancouver not to exercise its claim to a former draft pick, Mike Rogers. Rogers, a centre, went on to have three 100 point plus years in Hartford with the Whalers - becoming the highest scoring centre the Canucks had drafted until Henrik Sedin got 112 points in 2009/2010. Rogers remains the only Canuck drafted centre to have multiple seasons of over one hundred points. Then Cam Neely and a third overall pick for Pederden. 

Nothing can save a team from self-destruction.

The Cam Neely trade was the one that really teed me off. Probably the worst trade ever by the Canucks.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, SilentSam said:

only to get better.

But assumedly the brain trust in Calgary already knew all that and watched Tanev a multitude of times. And they had Hamonic.

Why would they offer the big contract to Tanev and just let Hamonic walk?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m super happy to have Hamonic and he’s cheaper with no length of contract. What’s not to like?

But Tanev or Hamonic at the same price for one year? I think it’s a no brainer.

6 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Yes,.  But it’s actually in his stride,.  He covers so much ice in that one step..   once opponents are aware of it,.  Tryamkin has actually learned to “fake” his initiation into contact or direction..  even in his time here he used it and had players cough up , or force pass as they were setting up.

He is also very quick up n down blocking lanes close to the net.  His blocked shots in the KHL are stacking up pretty good.

going back to speed..  there have been times he’s been dished the puck cycling up out of his own end,

Its amazing how fast and strong he is at full speed.

1 hour ago, nzan said:

But assumedly the brain trust in Calgary already knew all that and watched Tanev a multitude of times. And they had Hamonic.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m super happy to have Hamonic and he’s cheaper with no length of contract. What’s not to like?

:rolleyes: you said “the brain trust in Calgary” ... I got lost after that ;)

Tanev.     is 4.5m x 4 

Hamonic is 1.25 x1 

Freedom is a beautiful thing..     that money helped us get Schmidt.

Tanevs release from something long term and  Hamonics  short term allows us more opportunities after this shortened season.   Expansion this year too, off season will be interesting.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, nzan said:

Both players played a similar role for their teams last season and both in my opinion were over played for what they bring. Tanev is a reliable D that does a good job of tracking his man and sheppering thought the D zone, blocking the passing outlet. He doesn’t engage well though and isn’t great at denying entry. For PK great for open play this allows players into the D zone when it could be stopped earlier.

Haminic is a good PKer and plays the body, positionally he isn’t as good as tanev in the zone at being in the right place, however he Denys entry which means he doesn’t need to be as his game is focused about stopping. 

with having good puck moving D this season on every pair (OJ has shown he can be) its more important to be able to get the puck loose and allow this player to pick up the puck and counter than inviting the opposition in and rely on the defensive forwards tracking back to clear the zone. This means we should be able to stop rushes earlier than last season and also spring quicker counters.

it’s tough moving on but Tanev is a good player but this season if all things were equal I would prefer a player that takes the body and springs the puck loose than one who shadows and takes the passing options away