The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

19 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Definitely. I've watched a frw of his games this season and his top end speed through the neutral zone is very good. But his quickness to get to the puck carrier is very good and rarely gets caught out of position and closes off forwards well, getting them to the boards or out of the crease. Its a combo of speed and size. Alternatively he uses his poke check with great efficiency too. On one shift I saw him use 3 poke checks to disrupt opposing forwards.

Pretty much my assessment too, except for one more thing: this guy is crazy strong, he gives you a shove on the shoulder and it sends you reeling. There are some clips on Youtube of him taking down most of an entire line. Combined with Myers there would hardly be room for forwards to move without getting pushed off balance or pinned.

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Just a question do you believe that Tryamkin has the "feet or quickness" for today NHL where it's full speed ahead

It is a valid question.... lots of D men have completely become obsolete when the game spend up.  Gudbranson is a great example... he went from being serviceable to being terrible.  He didn't get worse, the rest of the league got faster and he didn't.

There is every possibility that Tryamkin is downright awful and can't play in the NHL.  The KHL is a slow league without a lot of pace.  

The thing we we have no idea if Tryamkin can play until he does.  There is enough in the package there to absolutely give him a chance.  If he can keep up, he is a unique type of player nobody else has.. like a Byfuglien was.  He doesn't even have to be a top 4 guy to be valuable for us, especially since he is already our property.

If we think we are going to have to get by some top heavy talent teams like Edmonton to make it to the Cup finals for the next several years, having a behemoth who can lean on them and wear them down over a series is a big piece of the puzzle.  We saw how the Sedins wilted after enough Chara treatment, he was always just on top of them during play and after the whistle and wore them down.  Not many players have more heart than the Sedins but by the end of that series you saw them pull up and dump the puck in to avoid being hit again by Chara rather than make plays in the offensive zone.

Edited by Provost

On 1/14/2021 at 6:41 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

Who is putting Hamonic on a pedestal?  On GDT I made the point that Hamonic struggled in that game.   He was top 2 on Flames last year in ice-time and has been a top 4 in the NHL for years.   Tryamkin is a prospect who is getting older all the time and remains to be "working on things".

BTW, McDavid flies by a lot of top four Dmen in NHL.

No kidding, I don't know how but there were 3 defencemen on the ice for one of his goals and he made all 3 look stupid., 43, 23, 27:lol: That's pretty much all of them.

You know I think Myers was the only Canuck defenceman McD didn't go around, that long reach eh? ;) Like Chara's:rolleyes:

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Provost said:

It is a valid question.... lots of D men have completely become obsolete when the game spend up.  Gudbranson is a great example... he went from being serviceable to being terrible.  He didn't get worse, the rest of the league got faster and he didn't.

There is every possibility that Tryamkin is downright awful and can't play in the NHL.  The KHL is a slow league without a lot of pace.  

The thing we we have no idea if Tryamkin can play until he does.  There is enough in the package there to absolutely give him a chance.  If he can keep up, he is a unique type of player nobody else has.. like a Byfuglien was.  He doesn't even have to be a top 4 guy to be valuable for us, especially since he is already our property.

If we think we are going to have to get by some top heavy talent teams like Edmonton to make it to the Cup finals for the next several years, having a behemoth who can lean on them and wear them down over a series is a big piece of the puzzle.  We saw how the Sedins wilted after enough Chara treatment, he was always just on top of them during play and after the whistle and wore them down.  Not many players have more heart than the Sedins but by the end of that series you saw them pull up and dump the puck in to avoid being hit again by Chara rather than make plays in the offensive zone.

The khl is a slower league not because its populated by slow players but because with larger rinks tactics are different. There is a lot more slower deliberate build up play. A comparison would be Italian football vs English Premier league. 

with the shift to smaller rinks in the khl the tactics will have to adapt 

Unless we see something like Jake being traded, I just don't see it working. 

Tram is a smart cookie. Maybe a little too smart. He knows there's players in development, and he has a head start.

But he has to balance his contract numbers to something that works. That's where I think the sticking point is going to be.

And once again provided he really wants to come back. 

15 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Unless we see something like Jake being traded, I just don't see it working. 

Tram is a smart cookie. Maybe a little too smart. He knows there's players in development, and he has a head start.

But he has to balance his contract numbers to something that works. That's where I think the sticking point is going to be.

And once again provided he really wants to come back. 

He took a huge home discount with his hometown team I think he knows the tight cap problems here. I watched today's Avto game. Then the sports news came on with NHL scores and highlights. Boston NJ highlights. 

They all know what's up here.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Provost said:

You seem to forget that we have already seen Tryamkin in the NHL just two and a half years ago, and there was no evidence of Tryamkin not being mobile enough. The league has not changed that much in just two and a half years.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

You seem to forget that we have already seen Tryamkin in the NHL just two and a half years ago, and there was no evidence of Tryamkin not being mobile enough. The league has not changed that much in just two and a half years.

Tryamkin is fast enough IMHO. My biggest question will be his d-zone coverages on fast NHL players. I don't worry to much about 3 years ago as the Canucks have advanced a lot since then. More important to consider how he will fit in now. I doubt Benning will have the money to resign Hamonic so Tryamkin is a 'big' option. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Tryamkin is fast enough IMHO. My biggest question will be his d-zone coverages on fast NHL players. I don't worry to much about 3 years ago as the Canucks have advanced a lot since then. More important to consider how he will fit in now. I doubt Benning will have the money to resign Hamonic so Tryamkin is a 'big' option. 

For me it comes down to edler and hamonic if one retires/moves on Tryamkin will be a cheap option allowing us to keep the youth pipeline we have on the taxi/ahl squads moving.

cap is tight and last season we didn’t know if we could afford him with Tanev, stetcher, virt, Marky , and Toff needing to be signed. Turns out we probably could have but that’s with hindsight knowing we land with NS, and let TT,CT, TS and JM walk 

4 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Yes it has.

In incredibly short order, the big bruising type of defencemean role has evaporated or become a marginal role.  Listen to any of the hockey people talk and it has become all about speed now.

Edited by Provost

2 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

For me it comes down to edler and hamonic if one retires/moves on Tryamkin will be a cheap option allowing us to keep the youth pipeline we have on the taxi/ahl squads moving.

cap is tight and last season we didn’t know if we could afford him with Tanev, stetcher, virt, Marky , and Toff needing to be signed. Turns out we probably could have but that’s with hindsight knowing we land with NS, and let TT,CT, TS and JM walk 

Edler will be an option next year but I doubt he gets more than 1 year contracts from now on. That a stretch? He will be 35 in April. Still plays a strong game. At 43 Chara played well over 20 minutes the other night. A stronger d-core probably enables Edler to play longer. 

If Tryamkin wants to come back to the NHL Benning has to sign him and get him into games. That likely does not happen until next year. As I said I doubt Hamonic will re-sign. He is 30 and still young enough and good enough to get a multi year deal, especially if he has a good season with Vancouver.   

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Edler will be an option next year but I doubt he gets more than 1 year contracts from now on. That a stretch? He will be 35 in April. Still plays a strong game. At 43 Chara played well over 20 minutes the other night. A stronger d-core probably enables Edler to play longer. 

If Tryamkin wants to come back to the NHL Benning has to sign him and get him into games. That likely does not happen until next year. As I said I doubt Hamonic will re-sign. He is 30 and still young enough and good enough to get a multi year deal, especially if he has a good season with Vancouver.   

I can see that - Tryamkin could fill the role and the cap allocation that Hamonic has at the moment. It’s a shame over the timings of the seasons but I’m hoping it means we do sign him for next season 

53 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Surprised that the names Rathbone and Rafferty were not mentioned. Why should the Canucks hand a multi year contract to Harmonic when they have enough prospects on the right side. Would be more inclined to give a spot to Rathbone rather to Harmonic or Tryamkin.

1 hour ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Surprised that the names Rathbone and Rafferty were not mentioned. Why should the Canucks hand a multi year contract to Harmonic when they have enough prospects on the right side. Would be more inclined to give a spot to Rathbone rather to Harmonic or Tryamkin.

Rathbone's a lefty and neither of those players are particularly of the "physical/shut down/PK" variety. 

• Cheers 4

I think where Tryamkin benefits us is that he plays both sides, which would give us 3 Dmen that can ( Hughes, Schmidt and Tryamkin) this really helps immensely with pairings, especially with Juolevi, Rathbone and Woo, either here or coming 1 or 2 years from now.

I also think as someone earlier said, Tryamkin's reach negates some of that speed, as the stick can move a lot faster than a player skates. I would mention that tall Dmen, such as Webber, Pietrangelo, Chara, Myers, etc have an advantage not only in reach, but in weight too. My belief is that Tryamkin can hold people off with his arms, where Dmen like

Hughes, Rathbone, Krug, Fox, etc, have to use positioning and superior skating....kind of apple and oranges, but both effective if done well.

IMO, Benning should be signing Tryamkin to a 3 year contract in the range of 2 to 2.5 million a year, less if he can get away with it. 

In regards to Rafferty.......lets just get over with..............Rafferty is not deemed a NHL Dman, by Benning, or he would have been here, instead of Hamonic. If he does make it, it will be as a PP guy, which does not make sense, with both Hughes and Schmidt here. Also having Juolevi, and Rathbone as Offensive point men, just puts Rafferty so far down the list.......of course injuries could change that, but that is about the only way Rafferty gets here.

IMO, we can not just watch Tryamkin skate into the sunset.

I am also a little confused, as I think we could have signed Tryamkin and loaned him to the SHL, to keep him skating, until we needed him, whether that be, late this year or next. Maybe it has more to due with the Expansion draft, than anything, but, I am sure we need to get him here, by next September.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2