The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

17 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Tryamkin already seems to be an upgrade on Myers, Chatfield, Edler and Benn. Heck he might even be an upgrade defensively on Nate Schmidt too.

Tryamkin is a prototypical stay at home defenseman, like two Stechers put together. He has only started carrying the puck into the offensive zone more this season. Coach Peters decision probably. His style reminds me of a more boring Babych style without the stache, and faster. That's what Schmit should do is aim for a more boring shut down approach. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

Plus, that hit he laid on that guy prior to the fight is exactly what the Canucks need.

The hitting that Nik is capable of is big and spectacular,.   All it takes is for an opposing bench to see one of those high speed 270 lb collisions to have every offensive opponent change his thought on entry and carry.

job done..

pick up another young russian like this one ( x linemate of Podz) and add it to our offensive core and it changes the complexity of our team.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

The hitting that Nik is capable of is big and spectacular,.   All it takes is for an opposing bench to see one of those high speed 270 lb collisions to have every offensive opponent change his thought on entry and carry.

job done..

pick up another young russian like this one ( x linemate of Podz) and add it to our offensive core and it changes the complexity of our team.

Chara got rocked lol

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

job done..

Yeah, I agree. If he simply plays a steady, stay at home game, combined with his ability to intimidate and throw crushing hits, what more does anyone else expect? That's all I ever expected out of the guy. Let's hope he can be signed for next year. I think he'd be a great addition.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Can I just say that I love the announcer for the Milwaukee Admirals!  First time hearing him but he's got so much enthusiasm in his goal calls.  

18 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

Plus, that hit he laid on that guy prior to the fight is exactly what the Canucks need.

I Don’t think that is the only thing he could bring to the Canucks. After his year in Vancouver, he returned to Russia to play in the KHL. In that year, he was their top minute defenceman and their top scoring defender. In 51 games he had 9g and 16a, on top of 102 pm deployed on both PP and PK. The next season, as I understand it, ownership and team strategy changed. They employed 8 d and used them all about equally... and Tryamkin’s role changed. His minutes fell dramatically, and was even cycled out of some games - until they were in danger of missing the playoffs, then his minutes once again rose. Under this management his deployment his been primarily defensive. I’ve heard he has a hundred plus mph shot.

A lot will depend on his usage here. Deployment with Hughes at even strength might be a very interesting Prospect with Hughes ability to employ the strong attributes of his team mates. It might also confer on Hughes a modicum of protection, and our goalies the opportunity to see the odd shot.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I Don’t think that is the only thing he could bring to the Canucks. After his year in Vancouver, he returned to Russia to play in the KHL. In that year, he was their top minute defenceman and their top scoring defender. In 51 games he had 9g and 16a, on top of 102 pm deployed on both PP and PK. The next season, as I understand it, ownership and team strategy changed. They employed 8 d and used them all about equally... and Tryamkin’s role changed. His minutes fell dramatically, and was even cycled out of some games - until they were in danger of missing the playoffs, then his minutes once again rose. Under this management his deployment his been primarily defensive. I’ve heard he has a hundred plus mph shot.

A lot will depend on his usage here. Deployment with Hughes at even strength might be a very interesting Prospect with Hughes ability to employ the strong attributes of his team mates. It might also confer on Hughes a modicum of protection, and our goalies the opportunity to see the odd shot.

He'd work a lot better with a guy like Schmidt. Schmidt-McNabb was a really good pairing for Vegas and I reckon it could replicate that quite well.

Hughes is gonna see a lot of offensive time. He needs someone who's poise defensively and isn't gonna make mistake with the puck. The only guy we may have in the system that's like that is maybe OJ but that's a big ask for a rookie/sophomore(next year) and one of them would have to play their off-side. Or maybe Jurmo but he's a ways away and we just drafted him and he's a LD as well. UFAs who maybe are like that would be Dougie Hamilton(RD) Brandon Montour(RD) or Alec Martinez(LD) IMO.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

19 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He'd work a lot better with a guy like Schmidt. Schmidt-McNabb was a really good pairing for Vegas and I reckon it could replicate that quite well.

Hughes is gonna see a lot of offensive time. He needs someone who's poise defensively and isn't gonna make mistake with the puck. The only guy we may have in the system that's like that is maybe OJ but that's a big ask for a rookie/sophomore(next year) and one of them would have to play their off-side. Or maybe Jurmo but he's a ways away and we just drafted him and he's a LD as well. UFAs who maybe are like that would be Dougie Hamilton(RD) Brandon Montour(RD) or Alec Martinez(LD) IMO.

I think one of the major requirements of being Hughes partner is that he can help to keep him healthy, another is that Hughes needs lots of help in front of or near our net. But I do see your point, it is another way to go - Schmidt is only one of two Canuck defencemen without a growing minus in his +/-, the other is Juolevi, who is actually a + player - probably in part because of protected minutes, but still it is encouraging. 

On the other hand, increased playing time has exposed Chatfield as the kind of player he was in Utica. Superficially, he looks busy and aggressive- the kid can skate and work hard, but he is often caught running around out of position. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

At the start of the year it appeared tough to find a place (Although I still feel he would have already forced himself into the lineup anyways) for him to play.  If it still works out for him to come over part way through the year I could see the following group end the year if we are out of playoff contention:

Edler Schmidt 

Hughes Tryamkin

Joulevi Myers

Chatfield

Benn traded for a late round pick 

Hamonic traded for a mid round pick

It would give us three pairings that we could distribute the minutes out if needed.

10 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I think one of the major requirements of being Hughes partner is that he can help to keep him healthy, another is that Hughes needs lots of help in front of or near our net. But I do see your point, it is another way to go - Schmidt is only one of two Canuck defencemen without a growing minus in his +/-, the other is Juolevi, who is actually a + player - probably in part because of protected minutes, but still it is encouraging. 

On the other hand, increased playing time has exposed Chatfield as the kind of player he was in Utica. Superficially, he looks busy and aggressive- the kid can skate and work hard, but he is often caught running around out of position. 

Since Hughes is gonna have 60-70% of his starts in the offensive zone I am not sure that type of deployment would best suit Tryamkin personally. 

Playing with Schmidt, Tryamkin-Schmidt could potentially be a 5v5 matchup pairing as McNabb-Schmidt was. Martinez-Theodore which was an offensive pairing 5v5 is why I believe we should find a partner like Martinez/Montour/Hamilton(if we shed cap) for Hughes since it gets the most out of Hughes. Essentially we're looking for another Tanev-like player for Hughes.

A lot of this depends on Tryamkin panning out though.

• Huggy Bear 1

On 2/12/2021 at 2:01 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

Since Hughes is gonna have 60-70% of his starts in the offensive zone I am not sure that type of deployment would best suit Tryamkin personally. 

Playing with Schmidt, Tryamkin-Schmidt could potentially be a 5v5 matchup pairing as McNabb-Schmidt was. Martinez-Theodore which was an offensive pairing 5v5 is why I believe we should find a partner like Martinez/Montour/Hamilton(if we shed cap) for Hughes since it gets the most out of Hughes. Essentially we're looking for another Tanev-like player for Hughes.

A lot of this depends on Tryamkin panning out though.

I wonder if David Savard might be an option for Quinn in the summer. 

• Vintage 1