The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

6 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

The problem with signing Edler for a couple more seasons is that Green will play a veteran over a rookie pretty much every time. We have young players, such as Yuolevi, Tryamkin, and possibly Rathbone that are at a stage where they have little or nothing left to prove in the AHL. With Hughes, Schmidt, and Edler taking up spots on the left side, there is no room to find out who is the best of the young guys and this team needs to improve on the back end and Edler is neither getting younger nor better, in fact, quite the opposite. On a rebuilding team, I don’t think we need to repeat the mistake we made with the Sedins - keeping them two years longer than they were positive values. Had we started rebuilding two years earlier, we may have already been a sure playoff, maybe even a contending team.

I agree.  Schmidt does play the right side and so can Tryamkin but the odds of 2 lefties playing the right side is quite small and I don’t think it’s a good idea anyways.  I like Hamonic or someone similar with Hughes.  That leaves 4 positions for Tryamkin, Juolevi, Rathbone, Myers, Schmidt and Edler.  So basically 2 of Juolevi, Rathbone and Tryamkin will be in the press box with Edler in the lineup.  I don’t want the Sedin situation repeated either.  

We have lots of good youth now to come and take a starting spot on D.  I don’t want Benning to sign Edler to a 2 year deal and stunt the growth of one or two of our yound Dmen.  Let the kids play.  If we can win without Petey in the lineup surely we can win without Edler.  

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Schmidt plays RD more than LD. As does Tryamkin FWIW. 

Plenty of room presently on our right side for Tryamkin. I'm perfectly fine going in to next year with Schmidt, Myers and Tryamkin.

Rathbone can slot in for injuries/battle with Juolevi for minutes on the left next year behind Hughes and Edler, with Edler eventually sliding down and out of the roster.

For us, Schmidt’s game improved remarkably when moved to the left side. We can’t develop Rathbone having him sit in the stands somewhere behind Juolevi - a guy who has played well for us - certainly not the problem during our losing streak - he too is stalled in his development at a time in his career where he needs to play to improve. If we are to develop these young men they need to play - there is no future in keeping Edler, he is long past upping his game, and he is just no longer good enough to take us to the next level. We already made the mistake of keeping the Sedins around two or three years after they had ceased being the kinds of players that will bring us a Stanley Cup - and that is the object, is it not? 

Green seems to have an issue with too many defencemen playing on their non natural side, it is much more difficult to advance the puck up the wall on your backhand. I can’t say that I believe that, but Green appears to, and he’s the guy who determines who plays where and when they get to play.

13 hours ago, aGENT said:

Schmidt plays RD more than LD. As does Tryamkin FWIW. 

Plenty of room presently on our right side for Tryamkin. I'm perfectly fine going in to next year with Schmidt, Myers and Tryamkin.

Rathbone can slot in for injuries/battle with Juolevi for minutes on the left next year behind Hughes and Edler, with Edler eventually sliding down and out of the roster.

I bet they try to resign Hamonic and play SChmidt on the left side. Hard choices coming up. 

• Cheers 1

On March 4, 2021 at 3:55 PM, VegasCanuck said:

I think Edler will be back for one more season, but probably more in the 3.5 million range.

I would like to see Tryamkin sign for around 2.5 million / 2 seasons. That should be enough time to see if he's going to be able to really make the full leap to North America and be happy here. I think his game would thrive here, but that doesn't mean that he will.

I think Tryamkin will be signed 2 yrs X 1.8 million -- Cap space will be tight after signing Petey and Hughes ..

Gapfriendly last time I looked we have 23.5 million?

Petey 2 X 7.5 milion Covid type deal don't know when fans will be back?

Hughes 2 X 7 million -- 

Podkolzin  3 X  980,000  - entry level deal

Demko  2 X depends on how season turns out? He looks very good since his 3rd game this season-- Could be 2 yrs X 3- 3.5 million?

Gaudette - 1 yr X 1 million

Juolevi - 2 yrs X 900,000

Edler -- ?  Play 4th spot? Might take Hamonic over Edler??  Hamonic might sign for 2.8, give Hamonic more time he has not played much....

Hamonic - ? Like his style but cap might stop Benning from signing?

Tryamkin ? Maybe 2 x 1.8 -- Like his style 6'7,265 lbs plays with lots of toughness..

Pearson ? 

Lots of decisions, very exciting future...

Rathbone -- Vancouver uniform next season

Lind -- Might be ready

Gadjovich - Maybe 4th line toughness?

Edited by wildcam
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

I think Tryamkin will be signed 2 yrs X 1.8 million -- Cap space will be tight after signing Petey and Hughes ..

Hughes 2 X 7 million -- 

Demko  2 X depends on how season turns out? He looks very good since his 3rd game this season-- Could be 2 yrs X 3- 3.5 million?

Edler -- ?  Play 4th spot? Might take Hamonic over Edler??  Hamonic might sign for 2.8, give Hamonic more time he has not played much....

Tryamkin ? Maybe 2 x 1.8 -- Like his style 6'7,265 lbs plays with lots of toughness..

Pearson ? 

Lind -- Might be ready

I guarantee they're not going to let the Petey, Hughes and Demko deals expire on the same year as Bo and Miller. 

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

Hughes 2 X 7 million -- 

Pearson ? 

Lind -- Might be ready

this is how i see (and hope) next year lineup.

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Hoglander Horvat Podkolzin

Virtanen Sutter Gaudette

Hawryluk Beagle Motte

McEwen

Schmidt Myers/Hamonic

Hughes Tryamkin

Juolevi Hamonic/Myers

Rathbone

Demko

Backup

Edited by deus.ex.makina
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I bet they try to resign Hamonic and play SChmidt on the left side. Hard choices coming up. 

At first I thought Hamonic was another wounded Ferland type. But I think he's finally found his game, he's not injured just rusty, and looks real good :P.

Add Smits next year with Tryamkin, and I really like Joulevi. Myers, maybe a lower deal for Edler? 

Hamonic, Myers, Smits, Hughes, Joulevi,  Tryamkin, UFA or ED transfer.

Maybe Rathbone can take the next step? Add a Luke Shenn type  (tough free agent).

Chatfield needs AHL training.

Edler should be a rental for TO, they need the help if they're going to go anywhere. Either that or a sweet heart deal back here.

I think if we solidify our D we have enough skill up front to not have to be desperation buyers for expensive forwards. Unless one falls in our lap like Smits.

ps leave JT at centre we're stronger defensively that way. Hawk is fitting in nice on our 4th line. We can afford to trade Roussel or Sutter. Keep Beags he's gritty good.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, deus.ex.makina said:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Virtanen Sutter Gaudette

Hawryluk Beagle Motte

McEwen

Schmidt Myers/Hamonic

Hughes Tryamkin

Juolevi Hamonic/Myers

Rathbone

Demko

Backup

Virtanen should be gone

4 hours ago, deus.ex.makina said:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Virtanen Sutter Gaudette

Hawryluk Beagle Motte

McEwen

Schmidt Myers/Hamonic

Hughes Tryamkin

Juolevi Hamonic/Myers

Rathbone

Demko

Backup

I don't see Sutter coming back as he is a UFA  and we will not have extra money to sign him...

On 3/4/2021 at 3:55 PM, VegasCanuck said:

I think Edler will be back for one more season, but probably more in the 3.5 million range.

I would like to see Tryamkin sign for around 2.5 million / 2 seasons. That should be enough time to see if he's going to be able to really make the full leap to North America and be happy here. I think his game would thrive here, but that doesn't mean that he will.

With the way Hamonic has been playing lately, we should also bring him back to bolster overall depth on defence. Every team goes through injuries on the back end so everyone will get a chance to play.

QH-Hamonic

Edler-Schmidt

Juolevi-Myers

Rathbone-Tryamkin

5 hours ago, deus.ex.makina said:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Virtanen Sutter Gaudette

Hawryluk Beagle Motte

McEwen

Schmidt Myers/Hamonic

Hughes Tryamkin

Juolevi Hamonic/Myers

Rathbone

Demko

Backup

Guessing about next year, I think Pearson is back and Sutter is not. I  also I think Edler and Hamonic are back. Very possible that Miller Pettersson and Horvat all play centre at least part of the time. Eriksson and Holtby bought out. MacEwen lost in ED. Roussel sent down.

Hoglander  Pettersson   Boeser

Pearson   Horvat  Virtanen

Gaudette  Miller  Podkolzin

Motte     Beagle     Lind

Hawryluk

Hughes  Hamonic

Edler    Schmidt

Juolevi   Myers

Rathbone Tryamkin

Demko

Backup

3 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Guessing about next year, I think Pearson is back and Sutter is not. I  also I think Edler and Hamonic are back. Very possible that Miller Pettersson and Horvat all play centre at least part of the time. Eriksson and Holtby bought out. MacEwen lost in ED. Roussel sent down.

Hoglander  Pettersson   Boeser

Pearson   Horvat  Virtanen

Gaudette  Miller  Podkolzin

Motte     Beagle     Lind

Hawryluk

Hughes  Hamonic

Edler    Schmidt

Juolevi   Myers

Rathbone Tryamkin

Demko

Backup

With the way Sutter is playing this year, I wouldn't mind him back for around 1.5 million on a 1 year contract.

He's been solid!

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

With the way Sutter is playing this year, I wouldn't mind him back for around 1.5 million on a 1 year contract.

He's been solid!

If all these old, overpaid has beens are so great, why are we where we are? We have to improve a long way to be a legitimate contender, so where are we going to do that? Is Miller going? Pettersson? Boeser? Horvat?, Hoglander? That is five out of the top six. If Podkolzin adds to that mix, that leaves six forward spots that we have to improve dramatically. Keeping old dogs around stands in the way of that. The old guard, the guys of diminishing worth and high financial expectations has to go or we never get better - and we need to more than just get better to contend, we need to get dramatically better deep into the lineup.

• Cheers 1