The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Where/how would Forsling being making a difference on our D this year?

You don't think giving Edler at least partly the Kawhi Leonard treatment (scheduling) wouldn't make a difference in this condensed season?  And I said in the post you quoted of mine that Green has been dealt a bad hand (eg., questionable blueline).  

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

You don't think giving Edler at least partly the Kawhi Leonard treatment (scheduling) wouldn't make a difference in this condensed season?  And I said in the post you quoted Green has been dealt a bad hand (eg., questionable blueline).

Forsling could in no way, shape or form, replace what Edler does.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Forsling could in no way, shape or form, replace what Edler does.

Who said replace?  It's like asking Holtby to replace Demko.  He's there to give Demko the night off on occasion.  Though Demko ain't an old man like Edler is.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

38 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Who said replace?  It's like asking Holtby to replace Demko.  He's there to give Demko the night off on occasion.  Though Demko ain't an old man like Edler is.

I don't think you understand how this works...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I'd rather hope Seattle selects Holtby (to free up cap space).  

I am hoping that they take Myers................who has done nothing wrong, and is a great team first player, but Holtby's buyout is 500,000 the first year and 1,900,000 the second.

Which I see as perfect timing, in that we will have extra cap the second year, and it will be easier to absorb.

Now, on the Defense situation, I am probably in the minority here, but I have found this year as a waste, in that Benning and Green have not used it, in the way they should have.

IMHO, Utica players should have been platooned in here and given icetime, so that we would have had an idea, exactly how and what they have, and what the player needs to work on. To me, the reason it is a throw away season, is that Aqualini is making very little money off of this year, and the Canucks were not going to be contenders. That was obvious from the start of the summer, when Markstrom, Tanev, and Toffoli left. It was "PIE IN THE SKY" to believe differently.

This should have been a development season. Tryamkin should have been signed, Lind and Rathbone, should have been given games, especially before Utica started up.

Now entering next season, we will have unknowns, which could have been already clarified to some extent. 

It would have clarified questions around Edler, and what is needed, and whether we have to re-sign Edler or go with the young guys. All together a poor way to use time, IMO.

It is not whether Edler can handle the NHL, as of course he can, but rather, are our young guys close enough?

This all rolls back to OEL and all the time, and potential money that was going to be spent. It is something Benning does not seem to grasp of. IMO, we have a great defense in the making, and it is only a matter of time, before it takes a step forward. 

My 2 questions are, what do we have in Tryamkin, and what do we have in Rathbone? Something that should have been done this year. It is a question that if answered positively, would have given management a better understanding in what to do with Edler and Myers.

I am not happy, with this decision, in the least.

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

If not Benn then Who. Do they sign or worse yet; trade in order to meet the defence men exposure requirement?

I'd look long and hard at seeing if there's a trade out there for a younger, RFA years remaining (and hence cheaper) Myers replacement and expose Myers. From a team set to lose a guy in the ED.

Or perhaps we re-up Hamonic, again exposing Myers.

I'd also potentially take a look at Larsson or Savard as UFA's.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I find this most likely rather than signing someone else. I don't think Hamonic would cost the 4m or whatever people are thinking. So long as he wants to stay here, I imagine there is a spot for him at a decent rate.

Then we expose Myers, which is what his contract was designed for, then sign perhaps Trymakin for that last RH spot next season.

I do still want to see Rafferty play, but I'm guessing the Canucks aren't sold on his ability to play an NHL game at this time.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I find this most likely rather than signing someone else. I don't think Hamonic would cost the 4m or whatever people are thinking. So long as he wants to stay here, I imagine there is a spot for him at a decent rate.

Then we expose Myers, which is what his contract was designed for, then sign perhaps Trymakin for that last RH spot next season.

I do still want to see Rafferty play, but I'm guessing the Canucks aren't sold on his ability to play an NHL game at this time.

Yeah, it's the easiest/most straight forward, for sure. Even better if we can manage the trade as well.

It makes no sense for us to actually sign anyone before the expansion draft.  Why sign guys and use up protection spots?  Edler and Hamonic are going to have to wait, they can't sign anywhere else until after expansion so it isn't like it costs us anything.

We have Myers to expose so don't have to sign anyone.  If we want to keep Myers, we can sign someone really cheaply to expose, or trade some low end AHL prospect for one.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

I'd look long and hard at seeing if there's a trade out there for a younger, RFA years remaining (and hence cheaper) Myers replacement and expose Myers. From a team set to lose a guy in the ED.

I'd also potentially take a look at Larsson or Savard as UFA's.

I like the idea of letting Myers be unprotected

He is a good soldier, but I think there will be other options not far of, which will be available

Case in point, Hamonic, who I think we should re-sign

I think we sign Tryamkin and go from there

Let Benn go or trade him,

then if Myers does not get picked, you live with those 4

Of which Tryamkin can move back and forth, as can Schmidt

Then at the Draft, we expose Myers and Holtby

hoping Seattle takes 1, preferably Myers

35 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I like the idea of letting Myers be unprotected

He is a good soldier, but I think there will be other options not far of, which will be available

Case in point, Hamonic, who I think we should re-sign

I think we sign Tryamkin and go from there

Let Benn go or trade him,

then if Myers does not get picked, you live with those 4

Of which Tryamkin can move back and forth, as can Schmidt

Then at the Draft, we expose Myers and Holtby

hoping Seattle takes 1, preferably Myers

You mean signing Tramkin post-expansion draft I'm assuming? 

My understanding is that he's currently exempt because an unsigned rfa, but if we signed him prior to the expansion draft he'd require protection. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

My understanding is that he's currently exempt because an unsigned rfa, but if we signed him prior to the expansion draft he'd require protection. 

Yes, post expansion......I thought that was a given?

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Provost said:

It makes no sense for us to actually sign anyone before the expansion draft.  Why sign guys and use up protection spots?  Edler and Hamonic are going to have to wait, they can't sign anywhere else until after expansion so it isn't like it costs us anything.

We have Myers to expose so don't have to sign anyone.  If we want to keep Myers, we can sign someone really cheaply to expose, or trade some low end AHL prospect for one.

If we can't find the appropriate trade heading up to the ED, there's no harm in just extending Hamonic and exposing Myers.

But no, there's no hurry whatsoever. It's something we can afford to be patient on.

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Only if he had played this season. He didn't, so he doesn't.

• Cheers 3

22 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Only if he had played this season. He didn't, so he doesn't.

Hopefully something gets sorted out regarding Tryamkin this month then..  I’m sure that bit of “job security”  and confirmation would excite Nik who was hoping to be here for  this season.

• Cheers 3