The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Regarding Jim, Jan,

I do clearly remember hi saying they were hoping to sign him last year but had to wait to see how they faired with the cap and player movement.

I don’t remember anything about JB saying he wanted too much.

I agree that this is an unfortunate situation that has gone on 3 years too long, and we were all excited to see him develop more with us in this league.

But at least in the KHL he hasn’t been submitted to the pugilists of the game and has grown from the 21-22 year old rookie we saw to a solid young man at 26.. 

that foundation for his body to fully develop will pay dividends in every aspect of the game, and allow Nik some added respect for the true strengths he has grown into without having to fist fight every night.

Now,.  It’s go time.

I don't have the quote at hand, but Benning did talk about seeing Nik as an important part of the PK moving forward, which makes sense. I doubt we'd see him on the PP unless they want the giant screening option :lol:

Nik isn't a rookie anymore, so the line-up @Outsiders posted is what we'll see. Only downside is one right hand shot... hasn't seemed to hurt Vegas all that much.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

Any body have any idea if Edler would make a good player/ d coach ?

He always seems quiet, not much of an interview, but perhaps different in his environment?

hard to say, he's so quiet in the media. But he's a smart player and if he wanted to stick around the team in that capacity I'm sure they'd make room. 

10 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Hughes-Tryamkin 

Juolevi-Schmidt 

Rathbone-Myers/Hamonic

Book it

Have you paid attention to this GM?  We are clearly going to re-sign Edler and even Hamonic if we can afford it.

Hughes-Hamonic
Edler-Schmidt
Juolevi-Myers
Tryamkin

Unless Rathbone supplants Juolevi, he will likely start in the minors to play lots of minutes and be the first injury call up.

If a miracle happens and Myers is taken in the expansion draft it certainly clears up the picture a lot:

Hughes-Hamonic
Schmidt-Juolevi
Edler-Tryamkin
Rathbone

That gives us two guys in Tryamkin and Schmidt who can play both sides and allow us to rejig pairings in case of injury.  We could also pick up a cheap veteran D like Gudas who would be exposed by their team to have another veteran presence to slot in

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, Provost said:

Have you paid attention to this GM?  We are clearly going to re-sign Edler and even Hamonic if we can afford it.

Hughes-Hamonic
Edler-Schmidt
Juolevi-Myers
Tryamkin

Unless Rathbone supplants Juolevi, he will likely start in the minors to play lots of minutes and be the first injury call up.

If a miracle happens and Myers is taken in the expansion draft it certainly clears up the picture a lot:

Hughes-Hamonic
Schmidt-Juolevi
Edler-Tryamkin
Rathbone

That gives us two guys in Tryamkin and Schmidt who can play both sides and allow us to rejig pairings in case of injury.  We could also pick up a cheap veteran D like Gudas who would be exposed by their team to have another veteran presence to slot in

Jim won't wait until after expansion to sign Nik, that deal is probably already ready and waiting. 

Edlers future here is dependent on expansion, and whether or not its worth it for him to come back. 

I've been watching Tryamkin as much as I can over the past 3 season and I still haven't seen anything in his game that suggests he's ever going to be more than a serviceable 6/7 dman in the NHL. I'd love it for him to come in and prove me wrong and light it up paired with Hughes and use his big body to consistently and effectively shut down the opposition but from what I've seen watching him this is probably the most accurate take I've seen on him lately: 

1 hour ago, 204CanucksFan said:

I've been watching Tryamkin as much as I can over the past 3 season and I still haven't seen anything in his game that suggests he's ever going to be more than a serviceable 6/7 dman in the NHL. I'd love it for him to come in and prove me wrong and light it up paired with Hughes and use his big body to consistently and effectively shut down the opposition but from what I've seen watching him this is probably the most accurate take I've seen on him lately: 

Have you seen him play on the small NHL ice in the last 3yrs?

small ice Big Trym, im thinking he’ll be better then fine.

but its a wait and see. We gotta find out. Imo his first time as a young Canuck he wasnt too bad i can only think hes going to be better. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, 204CanucksFan said:

For the price he is going to cost, he just needs to be an upgrade on Benn and that is fine.

He has been playing more than 20 minutes a night now that he has had an NHL calibre coach for his team.  That suggests he still has potential to be a top 4D in our league.

The spot beside Hughes seems tailor made for him if he can raise his game.  Hughes will be playing 19-22 minutes a night, depending on how much PP to time the team gets.  There will be other pairings that get a lot more 5v5 time.  

His partner is only going to have to play 16-18 minutes a night range as he won’t be on the PP.... that is pretty limited minutes for a defenceman and even though it is technically on the top two pairings, will likely get 5-6th amount of ice time amongst all the D.  It wouldn’t take much to envision Tryamkin being able to reach that level.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you forgot to add #firegreen 

this is a terrible take. How could you possibly think Pearsons 3.25 eliminates Nik signing a deal? if anything it ensures it and we probably don't see Edler back, unless he takes a 1 mil deal. 

#firegreen

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Provost said:

Hughes-Hamonic
Edler-Schmidt
Juolevi-Myers
Tryamkin

Hughes-Hamonic
Schmidt-Juolevi
Edler-Tryamkin
Rathbone

I like the look of that defense for next season.  Seems like a good balance that has lots of potential for growth from the younger D men as they won't have to play the hard minutes and aren't exactly inexperienced.  Rathbone being the wild card in all this.

5 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Well how do you not play them? Juolevi will be 23 in just under one month, played well in his limited action. He needs to play and can't have another year where they just healthy scratch him. Nothing pissed me off more than them benching him this year & if they bench him again when we come back (from COVID) for Benn I will lose it.  Rathbone on the other hand is ripping it up in the AHL and deserves to get games, he will be 22 in a month as well. These guys are at the point in their careers either they are good enough (and they are) or they aren't. I know some count Tryamkin as a rookie but he's a pro, 27 years old, with NHL experience. He will be a huge addition to our team. 

Will there be growing pains? For sure, but I believe our backend will be so much better and play a lot less in our own end. Edler is old and washed up, I'd rather go with Tryamkin. I'd take Juolevi over Hamonic and Rathbone over Benn. Call me crazy! The upside however is so much higher

I don't have time to expand on this but I totally agree...these guys are more than ready

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Petey Castiglione said:

I like the look of that defense for next season.  Seems like a good balance that has lots of potential for growth from the younger D men as they won't have to play the hard minutes and aren't exactly inexperienced.  Rathbone being the wild card in all this.

This would be the exact same as this season which sucked. Juolevi on his own will not turn it around, especially playing with Myers.

17 hours ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Rathbone is NHL ready now... He will stay in AHL and dominate this season with covid -  6 GP -- 6 points...Future #3 D man ..

Vancouver 2021-22 season...

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Outsiders said:

This would be the exact same as this season which sucked. Juolevi on his own will not turn it around, especially playing with Myers.

Juolevi along with Rathbone and Tryamkin.  I think that's a bit of an upgrade with tons more potential, great balance of puck movers and giants.  This season the defence sucks because of what kind of season it's been.  We've seen what this team can do when playing their game and I'm confident next season will be a bounce back season.  (Hopefully after another top 5/10 pick.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Caught this on Twitter,

It’s a slam dunk boys!

..  everyone does wrap arounds.. not cool anymore ! ;) 

Looks dangerous on skates. Him coming down in your foot would not end well.