The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

5 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Nah, it’s here someone thought a fight on skates is tough. 
just ridiculus.. 

i think that poster was saying “if” he can fight NHL style,.   Say like Chara can dominate in a fight,   It’s another level of intimidation that player can bring to his game.

no one said “tough”,  but you..  I think you took his comment out of the context it was meant to be.

Tryamkin brings a lot actually,  and to have an above average skater at 6’8..  who was in his rookie season here as a 21 yr old taking on the likes of getzlaf and Benn,  is pretty amazing.

6 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

i think that poster was saying “if” he can fight NHL style,.   Say like Chara can dominate in a fight,   It’s another level of intimidation that player can bring to his game.

no one said “tough”,  but you..  I think you took his comment out of the context it was meant to be.

Tryamkin brings a lot actually,  and to have an above average skater at 6’8..  who was in his rookie season here as a 21 yr old taking on the likes of getzlaf and Benn,  is pretty amazing.

His quote can be interpreted in more than one way. 

As I recall Tryamkin isn’t a Ferland”to fight anything that moves”-kind of guy. 
just a tough skater that hits hard.

So I hope he don’t fight as the ”sissies” I have seen occassionally.

I want icehockeyplayers to play hockey, not act like they are a pro wrestler.

12 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Let’s face it the NHL is down on fighting. Fans aren’t but who cares about that. Tryamkin might have to deal with some fighting on the first circuit around the league but like Chara that should taper off. Signing Tryamkin has more to do with his physical ability to overwhelm opposing players in the d-zone. That be by hits, physically moving players, physically blocking movement, stick checking, and good old cross checks. His reach is huge. All Canuck fans should be very excited about his return.

Indeed we should.  Heres a guy who has made a commitment to learn English, was ready to come back last year but understood the problems Benning faced with covid and the flat cap so signed a 1 year deal with the KHL. And by all accounts got better, accepting a more defensive role at the expense of offence

Now he's ready.  Will come over early summer to acclimate and meet with the training staff to find out what they think he should work on.  There's commitment and maturity.  There's a guy who sees the exciting future of our Canucks and wants to be part of it.

6'8" smooth skating hard hitting defensemen who can play either side are rare.

I, for one, am excited!!

Edited by Googlie
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

24 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Let’s face it the NHL is down on fighting. Fans aren’t but who cares about that. Tryamkin might have to deal with some fighting on the first circuit around the league but like Chara that should taper off. Signing Tryamkin has more to do with his physical ability to overwhelm opposing players in the d-zone. That be by hits, physically moving players, physically blocking movement, stick checking, and good old cross checks. His reach is huge. All Canuck fans should be very excited about his return.

Totally agree

27 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

His quote can be interpreted in more than one way. 

As I recall Tryamkin isn’t a Ferland”to fight anything that moves”-kind of guy. 
just a tough skater that hits hard.

So I hope he don’t fight as the ”sissies” I have seen occassionally.

I want icehockeyplayers to play hockey, not act like they are a pro wrestler.

Tryamkin dosent need to fight..  but he may have to a few times to show he can back up his hits..

:this against a 6’2 power forward in March 2021,   Could be what comes next to Jamie Benn.

39 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Fighting is up this year.

• Cheers 1

A lot of the Canucks decisions this year will be based on how much cap space they have left after they sign the kids. Those who are saying that there will be a chance to take advantage of teams who are worried about losing someone in the expansion draft. Unless Jim can free up some cap space the Canucks will be looking for low cost solutions. They will not have any money for a top four player.  If Tryamkin is looking for big money then that will also not happen.

We may see them wait until after the expansion draft and then try to resign Edler and Hamonic for cheap.

Hamonic is a tough decision for both the team and for him.  We may end up losing him either way - resign him but dont protect him, very attractive to Seattle.   Wait until after the ED - then Seattle has a window to approach him as a pending UFA and ink him to a contract (that then becomes Seattle''s pick from Vancouver). If the case is overwhelming that he is the ideal partner for Hughes, then maybe we sign and protect him, but expose someone like Myers or Juolevi instead.  Or if unsigned, rely on Hamonic turning down any Seattle overtures. Might be a hard decision for him if the money under discussion varies significantly

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, appleboy said:

A lot of the Canucks decisions this year will be based on how much cap space they have left after they sign the kids. Those who are saying that there will be a chance to take advantage of teams who are worried about losing someone in the expansion draft. Unless Jim can free up some cap space the Canucks will be looking for low cost solutions. They will not have any money for a top four player.  If Tryamkin is looking for big money then that will also not happen.

We may see them wait until after the expansion draft and then try to resign Edler and Hamonic for cheap.

He will  sign. I would think that Benning is likely working on deal with Seattle on which player they will take which will add to our cap certainty. My guess is that he's working to ensure that they take Holtby, even if it costs us a draft pick.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Hamonic is a tough decision for both the team and for him.  We may end up losing him either way - resign him but dont protect him, very attractive to Seattle.   Wait until after the ED - then Seattle has a window to approach him as a pending UFA and ink him to a contract (that then becomes Seattle''s pick from Vancouver). If the case is overwhelming that he is the ideal partner for Hughes, then maybe we sign and protect him, but expose someone like Myers or Juolevi instead.  Or if unsigned, rely on Hamonic turning down any Seattle overtures. Might be a hard decision for him if the money under discussion varies significantly

Seattle can approach him if they want, he needs to sign the contract still. If Hamonic wants to stay here (or in Western Canada at least), then it's unlikely he will agree to terms with them. Technically Seattle can try to sign Edler as well, but we all know he isn't going anywhere else if he doesn't have to. Hamonic likely already gave up a ton of money from other teams to stay close to home, so I don't think that will change. There would be more risk for Hamonic to re-sign and be kept unprotected if he wants to stay here when he has more control remaining as UFA until past the expansion.

Edited by theo5789
  • Cheers 3

19 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Seattle can approach him if they want, he needs to sign the contract still. If Hamonic wants to stay here (or in Western Canada at least), then it's unlikely he will agree to terms with them. Technically Seattle can try to sign Edler as well, but we all know he isn't going anywhere else if he doesn't have to. Hamonic likely already gave up a ton of money from other teams to stay close to home, so I don't think that will change. There would be more risk for Hamonic to re-sign and be kept unprotected if he wants to stay here when he has more contract remaining as UFA until past the expansion.

I do think there is the possibility that Hamonic would go to Seattle. It’s not really that much further, and with the decision to stay close to home (and his daughter I believe who has respiratory issues) it’s a possibility especially after the outbreak in the team and the $&!# show of rising COVID in BC and Canada in general vs the trajectory of vaccinations in the USA. 

22 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Hamonic has almost brought a perfect balance to Hughes,  and in the process, Hughes is looking better defensively.

yes, I don’t think the stats show it, but it seems this has been a learning process for H & H .

I’m tending to lean more to trying to keep (sign and protect) Hamonic before Edler or Joulevi.   .. and in that , realizing Edler is still UFA , could resign with us regardless.. and save us a  defensive protection position in the ED.

Im wondering if we are about to spend too much time with Joulevi .

Im still not clear if that Tryamkin signs “Tomorrow” a contract for the 21-22 season..

: is he eligible or ineligible for the expansion draft?

I was under the impression that because he hasn’t played here in 4 years and is on our protection roster ,  that he is ineligible for the draft.

29 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

He will  sign. I would think that Benning is likely working on deal with Seattle on which player they will take which will add to our cap certainty. My guess is that he's working to ensure that they take Holtby, even if it costs us a draft pick.

There’s also the chance they find there Goalie elsewhere,  there are a few UFA possibilities..

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/goaltender/ufa/

Just now, SilentSam said:

There’s also the chance they find there Goalie elsewhere,  there are a few UFA possibilities..

I know, but I think they are going to look at who we have exposed and choose the experience that Holtby brings. I also believe that Benning is willing to use a draft pick, to ensure that they take the player that he wants them to take.

Personally, I'd give Seattle a 2nd in this years draft to take Holtby, based on the fact that this draft, unlike any others, we don't have a clear read on the talent out there as many of the players have only played a few games at best. We don't have that real solid basis of data to make a decision past the first round, and even that is questionable.

When we signed Holtby, it was done in a way that would allow us to expose him. I think Seattle takes him, even if they need a little coaxing. 

14 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I think it depends on how Holtby plays  during the remainder of the season. If he is even close to how he's showing now, Seattle grabs him.  I don't think they find a reliable #1 goalie with his kind of experience with his salary cap.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I know, but I think they are going to look at who we have exposed and choose the experience that Holtby brings. I also believe that Benning is willing to use a draft pick, to ensure that they take the player that he wants them to take.

Personally, I'd give Seattle a 2nd in this years draft to take Holtby, based on the fact that this draft, unlike any others, we don't have a clear read on the talent out there as many of the players have only played a few games at best. We don't have that real solid basis of data to make a decision past the first round, and even that is questionable.

When we signed Holtby, it was done in a way that would allow us to expose him. I think Seattle takes him, even if they need a little coaxing. 

See this is why I call it an Extorsion Draft .

Seattle can say they are going to take a player,

But we don’t really know that they have already filled that position and are probably stacking decent draft picks in the process.

something wrong with that...

it’s like the Oilers being in the Draft lottery and doing well with it for 10 years.

( I beleive now the NHL has caught on)

that’s not to say they are better for it.

but in that same vein ,  expansion should not be extorsion.

The Expansion Team should just make their list without discussions with other teams and submit it to the NHL .    Poof .. done.

All the other clubs will have done what they could have prior to the ED without elements of  extorsion creating a better team that what was within the faithfulness of the NHL allowing this process to happen.

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, Googlie said:

That’s not quite correct - Seattle can talking with Pending UFAs PRIOR to the ED. (They have a 48 hour window) If they agree terms that player becomes the pick from the team they were part of.

they can also draft a pending UFA without this in the draft and walk (Vegas did this with three players) 

but either way after the draft UFA proceeds normally and is not impacted by the draft 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

I do think there is the possibility that Hamonic would go to Seattle. It’s not really that much further, and with the decision to stay close to home (and his daughter I believe who has respiratory issues) it’s a possibility especially after the outbreak in the team and the $&!# show of rising COVID in BC and Canada in general vs the trajectory of vaccinations in the USA. 

Depends on border closure and quarantine procedures down the road. Outbreaks can/will happen anywhere. Say even if it is a possibility that he's willing to go to Seattle, well if what we lose in expansion is a pending UFA that didn't want to sign here anyway (for the reasons you suggest), then I consider that a win in not losing a valuable piece that wants to be here in the first place. If wants to be here, he's in full control by taking himself to UFA.

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

I think it depends on how Holtby plays  during the remainder of the season. If he is even close to how he's showing now, Seattle grabs him.  I don't think they find a reliable #1 goalie with his kind of experience with his salary cap.

If I was an expansion club,  I would put money into the goal ( via UFA). And then a good back up / prospect via an ED pick.

Goaltending builds a team..  

he opposite example of this is Toronto.

Tavares at 11m per and an offensive spreadsheet that could build a bridge to Vancouver Island

..  and no money for goaltending