Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Tryamkin has shown to be a promising 3rd'ish pair D. That's it. And with no guarantee that he actually earns a third pair spot over our other options. Particularly if we also sign Hamonic. We're not going to pay him more than 6-7 D money, which IMO is likely between $1.5m-$2m.

 

Hamonic is a proven, top 4, 22 minute RHD. His desire to play only in Western Canada certainly drops his negotiating power, but he's still likely going to get between $2.5-$3.5 depending on term, NTC etc. Maybe even approaching $4 (normally he'd be worth a similar contract to Tanev's).

last contract before he signed he was a 3rd pairing guy in the khl, now he is a top pairing d in the KHL. he is one of the best defensive defenseman in the khl.

3rd in blocks 35th in hits  23rd in toi 57th overall in points(zero PP time) 

where he struggles is with his passing 77% passing percentage the average player is about 80-82%

 

he is a giant shutdown defenceman perfect for quinn hughes. the ying to his yang.

 

i think he's earned a raise, and probably wont come over for less than 2m, especially since he makes 1m in the KHL

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

last contract before he signed he was a 3rd pairing guy in the khl, now he is a top pairing d in the KHL. he is one of the best defensive defenseman in the khl.

3rd in blocks 35th in hits  23rd in toi 57th overall in points(zero PP time) 

where he struggles is with his passing 77% passing percentage the average player is about 80-82%

 

he is a giant shutdown defenceman perfect for quinn hughes. the ying to his yang.

 

i think he's earned a raise, and probably wont come over for less than 2m, especially since he makes 1m in the KHL

I'm not taking anything away from him. He's a perfect #6-7 NHL, defensive/PK. Hamonic (an actual, NHL top 4 D) is a far more appropriate player to play with Hughes IMO. 

Edited by aGENT
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I'm not taking anything away from him. He's a perfect #6-7 NHL, defensive/PK. Hamonic (an actual, NHL top 4 D) is a far more appropriate player to play with Hughes IMO. 

you know who would even better hedman!

 

most likely we wont be able to afford either of those players though

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

you know who would even better hedman!

 

most likely we wont be able to afford either of those players though

i'd also like to point out  that hamonic is a bottom pairing defenceman now, his stats aren't so peachy the last 5 years. age has not been kind to travis  his best years are behind him

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Petey_BOI said:

you know who would even better hedman!

 

most likely we wont be able to afford either of those players though

We can afford Hamonic

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I usually don't agree with Craig Button, but his comments were pretty much bang on the other night.  Why sign Tryamkin at the end of the month, when we have no idea what could shake out before the ED/entry draft.  This time last year no one in their right mind would have expected to land Schmidt for a 3rd, and sign Hamonic for 1.5 mil.  I'd hate to see us tie our hands by signing Tryamkin before we know who else could become available. 

 

Obviously if you can get Tryamkin on a 1 year 1 mill deal you take it, but I think his ask is going to be far more.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Was concerned that IMac(yest intermission) was downplaying expectations..hedging bets?

 

If teams do use a media talking head to float/soft-sell unpopular notions & future 'occurrences', MacIntyre might be one they'd choose.

 

Guess I'll be worried they eff this up, until they get his John Henry-kov on the line that is dotted.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Signing Tryamkin would be as much a pre-emptive move as anything.  Do you want Petey, Bo etc to be facing the Tram for the next 5 years as he toils for San Jose, Anaheim or LA? (let alone Calgary or Edmonton)

  • Hydration 2
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I usually don't agree with Craig Button, but his comments were pretty much bang on the other night.  Why sign Tryamkin at the end of the month, when we have no idea what could shake out before the ED/entry draft.  This time last year no one in their right mind would have expected to land Schmidt for a 3rd, and sign Hamonic for 1.5 mil.  I'd hate to see us tie our hands by signing Tryamkin before we know who else could become available. 

 

Obviously if you can get Tryamkin on a 1 year 1 mill deal you take it, but I think his ask is going to be far more.  

Who else could become available that offers the physical traits that Tryamkin has?

 

I can't see signing Nikita for a 2 year, $2.5 - 3M contract as a tying the hands of the team. There is no one in the NHL that is as large as he is that can skate as well as he can. As well, he uses his immense size extremely well in terms of positioning and boxing players out by overpowering them. 

 

The defense doesn't really need much from a player perspective. Hughes, Juolevi, Schmidt, Hamonic, and Myers are more than adequate. The real issue with the defense is behind the bench. 

 

Frankly Button didn't really provide anything more than anecdotes when asked. Certainly Tryamkin needs more experience at the NHL level, but to say that he's nothing more than a 6-7 defenseman is a poor read by Button.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Signing Tryamkin would be as much a pre-emptive move as anything.  Do you want Petey, Bo etc to be facing the Tram for the next 5 years as he toils for San Jose, Anaheim or LA? (let alone Calgary or Edmonton)

Exactly. Adding Tryamkin would bolster everyone on the team to play bigger. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Who else could become available that offers the physical traits that Tryamkin has?

 

I can't see signing Nikita for a 2 year, $2.5 - 3M contract as a tying the hands of the team. There is no one in the NHL that is as large as he is that can skate as well as he can. As well, he uses his immense size extremely well in terms of positioning and boxing players out by overpowering them. 

 

The defense doesn't really need much from a player perspective. Hughes, Juolevi, Schmidt, Hamonic, and Myers are more than adequate. The real issue with the defense is behind the bench. 

Right now all we know about Tryamkin's ability at the NHL level is he is big.  If you sign him to a 2.5-3 mill deal, you won't be able to bring back Edler and/or Hamonic, or jump at opportunities like grabbing Schmidt for dimes on the dollar if they come available near the Seattle draft.  I am 100% certain some teams will lose quality assets prior to the expansion draft for low returns as opposed to losing those assets for nothing to Seattle.

 

I'd bring back Tryamkin, for all the reasons you stated under two circumstances 1) it is after the expansion draft and 2) it is a 1 year "prove it" deal.  We are so up against the cap that we really have no room for error.

 

I do think Tryamkin will be a decent bottom pair D.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Right now all we know about Tryamkin's ability at the NHL level is he is big.

His performance in the KHL is a solid indicator of what he can bring. He’s shown excellent poise and positioning, and above average skating and speed for a man of his size. His approach to the game has matured as well. 

2 minutes ago, BCNate said:

If you sign him to a 2.5-3 mill deal, you won't be able to bring back Edler and/or Hamonic,

This team has to start considering moving on from Edler. He’s been great but I don’t think he should be a priority to sign at all. With Myers and Schmidt, the Canucks have a lot of veteran presence on the back end. If Hamonic re-signs around $3M, there should be more than enough cap space, considering the players who’s contracts are expiring.  I don’t see where the issue is. I can’t see Hughes and Pettersson getting a ridiculous payday this off-season. 

2 minutes ago, BCNate said:

or jump at opportunities like grabbing Schmidt for dimes on the dollar if they come available near the Seattle draft. 

The opportunities should go to the likes of Juolevi and other younger players rather than banking on the hole that a player might shake loose. 

2 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I am 100% certain some teams will lose quality assets prior to the expansion draft for low returns as opposed to losing those assets for nothing to Seattle.

Maybe. Maybe not. Who knows. 

2 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I'd bring back Tryamkin, for all the reasons you stated under two circumstances 1) it is after the expansion draft and 2) it is a 1 year "prove it" deal.  We are so up against the cap that we really have no room for error.

 

I do think Tryamkin will be a decent bottom pair D.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Right now all we know about Tryamkin's ability at the NHL level is he is big.  If you sign him to a 2.5-3 mill deal, you won't be able to bring back Edler and/or Hamonic, or jump at opportunities like grabbing Schmidt for dimes on the dollar if they come available near the Seattle draft.  I am 100% certain some teams will lose quality assets prior to the expansion draft for low returns as opposed to losing those assets for nothing to Seattle.

 

I'd bring back Tryamkin, for all the reasons you stated under two circumstances 1) it is after the expansion draft and 2) it is a 1 year "prove it" deal.  We are so up against the cap that we really have no room for error.

 

I do think Tryamkin will be a decent bottom pair D.

who says there will be opportunities like that available to the Canucks? we can't outbid the bottom 1/2 of the league on taking cap space. We already did our "Schmidt" type deal. 

 

Its never a bad time to lock up talent, assuming thats what they think Nik is. I do think he has some unique potential and there's a pretty big body of work to judge him by now. 

 

A 1 year deal is a mistake imo, that just takes him right to UFA and all we 'd be doing is getting him ready for a bidding war with another team. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

His performance in the KHL is a solid indicator of what he can bring. He’s shown excellent poise and positioning, and above average skating and speed for a man of his size. His approach to the game has matured as well. 

This team has to start considering moving on from Edler. He’s been great but I don’t think he should be a priority to sign at all. With Myers and Schmidt, the Canucks have a lot of veteran presence on the back end. If Hamonic re-signs around $3M, there should be more than enough cap space, considering the players who’s contracts are expiring.  I don’t see where the issue is. I can’t see Hughes and Pettersson getting a ridiculous payday this off-season. 

The opportunities should go to the likes of Juolevi and other younger players rather than banking on the hole that a player might shake loose. 

Maybe. Maybe not. Who knows. 

 

All fair points, but again, we don't know what opportunities will be there, so why not be patient and explore them?  Nobody else owns his rights, noody else can sign him, so why not wait until you see what happens before the ED?  The cap will be tighter league wide than it was last year, and teams risk losing quality D for nothing to Seattle.  I'm not opposed to binging NK back at all, but net years camp opens in October, whether we sign him in May or July.

 

 

 

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

who says there will be opportunities like that available to the Canucks? we can't outbid the bottom 1/2 of the league on taking cap space. We already did our "Schmidt" type deal. 

 

Its never a bad time to lock up talent, assuming thats what they think Nik is. I do think he has some unique potential and there's a pretty big body of work to judge him by now. 

 

A 1 year deal is a mistake imo, that just takes him right to UFA and all we 'd be doing is getting him ready for a bidding war with another team. 

Same as my last post, Next year starts on the same day whether we sign Tryamkin now or in the summer.  We we own his rights, so it's not like we can lose him to another NHL team.  Correct, no guarantees we can leverage the Expansion draft to get a cheap quality D, but signing Tryamkin early all but guarantees that cannot.

 

1 year is a risk, assuming he plays well.  If that's the case you work to lock him up long term before July 1.  2 years is also a risk if he comes over and is Aundrey Pedan v2 and we have 2 years at 2.5 tied up in him. 

 

I'm not against bringing him over, at all, I'm just very "for" giving it a bit of time.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

last contract before he signed he was a 3rd pairing guy in the khl, now he is a top pairing d in the KHL. he is one of the best defensive defenseman in the khl.

3rd in blocks 35th in hits  23rd in toi 57th overall in points(zero PP time) 

where he struggles is with his passing 77% passing percentage the average player is about 80-82%

 

he is a giant shutdown defenceman perfect for quinn hughes. the ying to his yang.

 

i think he's earned a raise, and probably wont come over for less than 2m, especially since he makes 1m in the KHL

Solid points Petey

 

I was just thinking that on his team they rotate Dmen, like eat potato chips, so his TOI could even be a little skewed.

 

Interesting point on his passing percentage

 

My guess on his contract will be in the 2.25 to 2.5 per year X 2. I also see Hamonic getting pretty much the same deal

 

Does anyone see Schmidt, Myers, or Hamonic as a true #2? I don't..........probably a #3 at best

 

I actually see all 3 being of similar value, all different but all much the same. 

 

Are we in a position to have 3 - #3's? with 2 costing $6,000,000? 

 

I see Hamonic, Myers, Tryamkin being a cheaper version of the same...........maybe a little less, but similar, but more aggressive, and with our left side shaping up to be so young and none agressive.........I think the RHD suggested fits better....................

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been a real blind supporter of GMJB since the beginning of his time helming the ship, but if the big man isn’t on our blueline come the first game of next season I may not be able to keep the faith...

  • Hydration 3
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, reyezone said:

I’ve been a real blind supporter of GMJB since the beginning of his time helming the ship, but if the big man isn’t on our blueline come the first game of next season I may not be able to keep the faith...

I don’t know which surprises me more, a “blind supporter” admitting they are a blind supporter, or there being anything that would make a blind supporter lose their faith in GMJB. ;) 

 

(I’m just playing, guys. Don’t @ me. :lol:)

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...