The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

Funny +/- stats from Tryamkin’s year here. Tanev led the defence at +3, Sbisa at -1 then Try was third at -7, ahead of Gudbranson -14,  Stetcher  -16, Edler -20, and Hutton -22.  Biega was -4 in 36 games but I had no idea how many at defence or wing. It was a surprise to see Sbisa second after all the abuse he took.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Where does your matter of fact claims originate from?

Your an NHL scout in Russia and have watched every game of Try in the past 4 years?

Or you pulled your opinion from yer arse?

I get your statement.........but I am just curious. Where is your head at, when you make that statement? Are you a scout?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 4petesake said:

Funny +/- stats from Tryamkin’s year here. Tanev led the defence at +3, Sbisa at -1 then Try was third at -7, ahead of Gudbranson -14,  Stetcher  -16, Edler -20, and Hutton -22.  Biega was -4 in 36 games but I had no idea how many at defence or wing. It was a surprise to see Sbisa second after all the abuse he took.

honestly thought he was looking really good halfway through the season before the expansion draft, was hoping they would take gaunce lol and he also played great for vegas on his short stint before he got injured.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

We have seen how good Schmidt can be at points this season, but I think next year we will see just how valuable he is. This year has just been so weird and different I don't think we have seen the best of him.

Schmidt is at his best playing with a big physical stay at home defenseman. 

In Vegas he was playing with McNabb and was pretty much their #1 player in ice time throughout his time there.

That pairing worked well because both guys made up for their weaknesses(Schmidt not as much of a physical player and McNabb not as great of a puck mover).

That's why I would stick him with Tryamkin right away. Let Hughes play a role similar to Theodore and focus on the offensive side of the game. Hughes needs more of a smart  defensive D that has above average puck skills and offensive awareness. Hamonic has been pretty good as of late with him in the Ozone, not as good as Tanev(or Martinez with Theodore) but good enough.

Unfortunately with the amount of young LD we have needed time we can only have 2 of Hamonic/Tryamkin/Edler. We could have to move on from Edler or have him in a 7D role at most if we want to keep Hamonic and bring in Tryamkin while trying to give OJ a chance and eventually Rathbone as well.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Pretty sure the Big Man is a top 4 pairing before the 2022 playoffs.

Injuries are certain to give Nik every opportunity to prove himself.

He is already above Joulevi, Rathbone could potentially push someone out for good asset.

Crazy to think, but I don’t think Tryamkin has had a serious injury in his career to date..

@Stierlitz or @Hairy Kneel might know better?

could be, I'd be happy with a solid #5 doing what he's been doing in the KHL 5 on 5 and PK time. 

It just feels to me like why bother with 1 year? we really don't have that many assets to play on the right side. Right now he's our top ride side d player on our depth chart. If he was a right shot as well its a no-brainer, I doubt we'd be debating it. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

There are some wild over estimations of Tryamkin in the last few pages.

A 2nd pairing shut down D man

Better than Schmidt 

An eventual top 4 D man

I am a big Tryamkin fan

But honestly, we do not know what he will bring

I do know that he was a replacement captain on his KHL team

I know he was relied on to provide a solid defensive game

I know he is not a offensive dman

and I know, no one could challenge his physicality 

and I know he was playing good defense when he left 4 years ago

I do not know who he is better than

But ................................

I know, no one else knows either...........

I like his qualities, and want him back to either prove me right or wrong

I am hoping I am right!

I think what you said above is as right as I am

But ...............................

you don't know either, for certain

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, aGENT said:

Juolevi has a higher likely ceiling.

Nonsense

I totally get your opinion, and agree, until it is proven wrong

But I think you are exactly the right guy to ask this of

How do you actually know? I mean, you say it with so much certainty.

Pretty much as much as Silent Sam says what he says......

So, I ask with respect, how do you know?

13 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I am a big Tryamkin fan

I am hoping I am right!

well there are things we do know:

- he's in better physical shape than when he left

- he's still huge

- he's shown more aggressive play at times

- he's a better skater

- he's not going to produce many points

- his game has grown in the KHL to move up the pairings

So... does that guarantee him a spot in the NHL? no but there's no reason to doubt he'd be a fit on the bottom pairing here, and he's got some upside. I don't believe he'll be in the top 4 but that doesn't mean he won't have some key roles on the PK and 5 on5 as a physical deterrent. 

I want to see an all salary 3 year deal. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well there are things we do know:

- he's in better physical shape than when he left

- he's still huge

- he's shown more aggressive play at times

- he's a better skater

- he's not going to produce many points

- his game has grown in the KHL to move up the pairings

So... does that guarantee him a spot in the NHL? no but there's no reason to doubt he'd be a fit on the bottom pairing here, and he's got some upside. I don't believe he'll be in the top 4 but that doesn't mean he won't have some key roles on the PK and 5 on5 as a physical deterrent. 

I want to see an all salary 3 year deal. 

I generally agree Jimmy

But Tryamkin is so polarizing

I am just wondering why we set limitations?

I mean, if he steps in and displaces everyone on the right side, is that possible?

Who has he played against in the last 4 years that gives us any indication he can't?

Where does either side of this discussion get their facts from on this subject?

My point is we guess on what we see in the KHL, but it is only a guess...maybe an educated guess maybe

I just asked this very question to aGent.........no one can say with certainty

I see one thing on the film I look at, someone else sees something totally different

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I totally get your opinion, and agree, until it is proven wrong

But I think you are exactly the right guy to ask this of

How do you actually know? I mean, you say it with so much certainty.

Pretty much as much as Silent Sam says what he says......

So, I ask with respect, how do you know?

Juolevi has a higher ceiling because of his smarts, ability to read plays, make passes, move the puck forward, slow the play down etc. I'm by no means offering some guarantee that he will reach that ceiling but he definitely has it. Those are qualities that make top 4 D. 

Tryamkin on the other hand isn't well known for those things. He's solid defensively and has tremendous size, which is a very positive asset that I'm excited to get back! He showed he was capable of playing bottom pair last time he was here and has refined the skills that should allow him to continue to play well there moving forward. But I have seen nothing to suggest he's suddenly become a sublime passing, play reading, two way D that would certainly push his ceiling towards top 4, if he did.

There's nothing wrong with Tryamkin 'just' being a solid, defensive/PK D with good skating for his size and being an imposing physical presence. It's just not likely as a top 4 guy IMO. Happy to be proved wrong though!

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I generally agree Jimmy

But Tryamkin is so polarizing

I am just wondering why we set limitations?

I mean, if he steps in and displaces everyone on the right side, is that possible?

Who has he played against in the last 4 years that gives us any indication he can't?

Where does either side of this discussion get their facts from on this subject?

My point is we guess on what we see in the KHL, but it is only a guess...maybe an educated guess maybe

I just asked this very question to aGent.........no one can say with certainty

I see one thing on the film I look at, someone else sees something totally different

I think its more that you need to be very cautious when using KHL success to project It on to the NHL. So I'd prefer to forget about projections up the lineup and just try to look at what we can say is there objectively. 

So to me, my expectation is a guy that can step into the #6 right side role, 5 on 5 and PK duty, 17-18 mins per night, with some unique physical gifts. More than that, and we're laughing. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

13 hours ago, aGENT said:

Right now with Edler suspended...Only guy he'd maybe slot in ahead of would be Juolevi and that's debatable.

He's not better than any of Hughes, Schmidt, Hamonic, Edler or Myers.

hamonic, is pretty icky, i don't know about that. his last 2 years has been crap piled upon crap, so many goals against on the  pk. what 3 assists in twenty games.

trymakin had 9 points in his last season in 66 games with the nucks.

so although im, not arguing Tree is better. he very well might be. if he can put up 15-20 points and can be close to a even player. while also being a really good pk player and role player, thats better than what hamonic brings.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Where does your matter of fact claims originate from?

Your an NHL scout in Russia and have watched every game of Try in the past 4 years?

Or you pulled your opinion from yer arse?

I’ve watched about 10-12 games he has played per year over the past 4 years.

I do watch more hi light reels and follow other accounts that follow his play and others.

Its just my opinion on this topic.

.. and your opinion is on this topic and thread ..   Or me?

are you confused Feltch?

monkey GIF

my apologies if that seemed too abrasive..  but you seem pretty good at it.

Do you ever look in a mirror and ask yourself an important question?

Edited by SilentSam
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

hamonic, is pretty icky, i don't know about that. his last 2 years has been crap piled upon crap, so many goals against on the  pk. what 3 assists in twenty games.

trymakin had 9 points in his last season in 66 games with the nucks.

so although im, not arguing Tree is better. he very well might be. if he can put up 15-20 points and can be close to a even player. while also being a really good pk player and role player, thats better than what hamonic brings.

I just want to add to your fair comments PBoi,.    
What a lot of posters tend to not calculate in their opinions of other players playing in other leagues,  is how, when a player gets the opportunity to play with NHL class players, how his game can change and be brought up to a level nobody could think of.

We were seeing the beginnings of that in NT’s first full season here.

Call it “climate change” between leagues,

The ability of others to bring the level of your potential to a level unseen.

We might see a ceiling or potential in a player shape itself,   ever wonder how some undrafted or late round picks become the better players they are?

Some thrive in new surroundings with new beginnings playing or working with the best.

Others with better potential, never bringing the balance of the game they were scouted on.

Tryamkin , I beleive is one of those,  playing in a league that offers limited potential, .  His potential is far greater than the climate he is in, and some of the players he has played with.

His stats probably show more of that lately.

Some wonder why or how I could be so keen on Tryamkin?

...  to those,  

If you truly watched his “game” in his first rookie season here, and watched how our rookie 21 year old was matched up against some of the biggest and best seasoned  power forwards in the NHL..

If you saw something special or enlightening in how he played in 69 rookie games...

Ask this question to yourself,

Had he been with us as a Canuck for the past 4 years,. continuing to play with and against the NHLs best,  can you not imagine the potential,  this now 26 yr old young  man still has,

and what type of player still currently exists when he comes back to this climate?

Every players journey in professional sports is different.   There can be value in that.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I am a big Tryamkin fan

I am hoping I am right!

I like Tryamkin too.

What we do know, is that the KHL is an inferior league. Marcus Granlund and Linden Vey are stars in that league.This has to be taken into account.

When Tryamkin left the team, the D was fairly weak, thats not the case now. He does not play on special teams, and that alone would not make him a top 4 D man.