The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

25 minutes ago, Provost said:

I do still think the salary pressure will be there as the cap isn't moving up for the next 3-5 years... There is a little relief from Seattle adding another bunch of available money to the overall pot... but how that money will be allocated will depend on what positions are needed and valued.  You will pay a lot more for D and centres than you will for wingers.

I don't think there is much risk in a $2 million x 2 year deal for Tryamkin at all.  He needs to just be an upgrade on Benn for that price.  Folks railing on about how we won't be an impact player are honestly just spreading manure... we aren't going to be paying him to be that.  If he is a legit 3rd pairing D who can play 11-15 minutes a night and do some penalty killing... we get our money's worth.  If he exceeds expectations, we have a great bargain.  If he is just terrible and can't keep up, we assign him to the minors and he asks for a release back to the KHL or we bury most of the contract.

The potential upside is greater than the, as yet imaginary, potential downside of the opportunity cost of missing out on a better player who decides to sign with us at a cheaper price.  If there are some good players looking for a home on cheap contracts, why the hell would anyone believe they would sign with us?  They will go sign with a contender like Schenn did, not come to a bottom feeder... they would be dumb not to.

I have said repeatedly, that I think our best move is to test the market for a Myers/Schmidt trade after the expansion draft as a bunch of teams would have lost a top 4D.  Their value will be as high as it is ever going to be, and the opportunity of freeing up that amount of cap space will be worth a lot more than what we could save by not having signed Tryamkin for a million or so over league minimum.  Edler and Hamonic are likely going to be under market value contracts to sign with us and that is an opportunity most teams won't have.  We can use them as stop gaps for another year or two as we filter in a couple of young players.

Edler and Hamonic at no more than $6 million combined represent a better deal than Schmidt and Myers at $12 million.  The latter two are better, but If you add another $6 million dollar player to the team with the saved money and then include what return you would get for moving out one of the higher priced guys... that more than makes up for the difference.

Hughes-Hamonic
Edler-Tryamkin
Juolevi/Rathbone-Myers
Bowie

I like it!

personaly, I’d still like us to try and grab Zadorov in a trade after the ED,  that’s if he isn’t taken by Seattle,  but still a trade could be possible.

For Edlers money saved (6m)

we could add to Hamonics 1.25

Sign Tryamkin and money left for Zadorov IF he came here.

Hughes Hamonic

Zadorov - Myers/ Scmiditt

Joulevi Tryamkin

Bowie Rathbone

i think it’s Jake and Breisbois going 

for an RFA Zadorov, or one of Myers/Schmidt Zadorov might sign a bridge for less than the 3.2 on the books presently.

I think Zadorov and Tryamkin were teammates on the national squad,.  and knowing Podkolzkin is coming very soon allows me to use my favourite gif again :)

From Russia with Love.

star wars trailer GIF

Edited by SilentSam

38 minutes ago, Provost said:

Hughes-Hamonic

Edler-Tryamkin
Juolevi/Rathbone-Myers
Bowie

Hughes, Hamonic

Edler, Schmidt

Juolevi/Rathbone, Tryamkin

Juolevi/Rathbone, Bowey/Chatfield

Woo as first call up. 

FTFY ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Hughes, Hamonic

Edler, Schmidt

Juolevi/Rathbone, Tryamkin

Juolevi/Rathbone, Bowey/Chatfield

Woo as first call up. 

FTFY ;)

I don't particularly care either way really.  It depends on the relative returns available to me.  If Ottawa gives us a 2nd and Tierney for Schmidt... but the only offers for Myers is a 4th round pick and a middling prospect... I move Schmidt.

Either way, things shake out fairly similarly.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Provost said:

I don't particularly care either way really.  It depends on the relative returns available to me.  If Ottawa gives us a 2nd and Tierney for Schmidt... but the only offers for Myers is a 4th round pick and a middling prospect... I move Schmidt.

Either way, things shake out fairly similarly.

I doubt the trade return would be vastly different honestly and I'd rather keep the better, younger, slightly cheaper player.

I wonder if we might finally be able to target Boone Jenner? Only has one year left and they appear to be heading towards a retool...

1 hour ago, Provost said:

I do still think the salary pressure will be there as the cap isn't moving up for the next 3-5 years... There is a little relief from Seattle adding another bunch of available money to the overall pot... but how that money will be allocated will depend on what positions are needed and valued.  You will pay a lot more for D and centres than you will for wingers.

so far the the Uber-agent interviews (Barry, et al) I've heard is they say the upper tier will get paid, the middle guys will be fighting it out for whats left for the next few years. Could make for some interesting times for teams that make a mistake on what they think their key talent is for sure. 

I don't think there is much risk in a $2 million x 2 year deal for Tryamkin at all.  He needs to just be an upgrade on Benn for that price.  Folks railing on about how we won't be an impact player are honestly just spreading manure... we aren't going to be paying him to be that.  If he is a legit 3rd pairing D who can play 11-15 minutes a night and do some penalty killing... we get our money's worth.  If he exceeds expectations, we have a great bargain.  If he is just terrible and can't keep up, we assign him to the minors and he asks for a release back to the KHL or we bury most of the contract.

this is why I'd like to see 3 years. If Nik's unhappy then they can terminate and walk away, its not that big a risk, and its not like his ELC deal with the no-Utica clause. 

The potential upside is greater than the, as yet imaginary, potential downside of the opportunity cost of missing out on a better player who decides to sign with us at a cheaper price.  If there are some good players looking for a home on cheap contracts, why the hell would anyone believe they would sign with us?  They will go sign with a contender like Schenn did, not come to a bottom feeder... they would be dumb not to.

we're pretty far from a bottom feeder tho and a nice place to end up. And there are only so many Tampa's out there. I think Vancouver is still a good destination on a number of players lists and the guys we draft are for the most part pretty happy here.

I just don't see what current player on the UFA list in the under 2 mil range that gives us more upside than Nik. Bogosian? Demers? Pateryn? meh. I'd rather roll the dice with Nik. 

have said repeatedly, that I think our best move is to test the market for a Myers/Schmidt trade after the expansion draft as a bunch of teams would have lost a top 4D.  Their value will be as high as it is ever going to be, and the opportunity of freeing up that amount of cap space will be worth a lot more than what we could save by not having signed Tryamkin for a million or so over league minimum.  Edler and Hamonic are likely going to be under market value contracts to sign with us and that is an opportunity most teams won't have.  We can use them as stop gaps for another year or two as we filter in a couple of young players.

Edler and Hamonic at no more than $6 million combined represent a better deal than Schmidt and Myers at $12 million.  The latter two are better, but If you add another $6 million dollar player to the team with the saved money and then include what return you would get for moving out one of the higher priced guys... that more than makes up for the difference.

Hughes-Hamonic
Edler-Tryamkin
Juolevi/Rathbone-Myers
Bowie

I suspect if we expose Myers, Seattle grabs him up. If they retain 1/4 on him he's certainly worth a 1st or a really good prospect at that price. Or they have him for their veteran d presence. I know there's been a lot of yap about how Seattle is ultra-focused on stats, but a coach is going to want some veterans around regardless of what Evolving Hockey has to say. 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I Iuspect if we expose Myers, Seattle grabs him up. If they retain 1/4 on him he's certainly worth a 1st or a really good prospect at that price. Or they have him for their veteran d presence. I know there's been a lot of yap about how Seattle is ultra-focused on stats, but a coach is going to want some veterans around regardless of what Evolving Hockey has to say. 

I don't think anyone is suggesting exposing Myers. You protect him, then trade him AFTER the ED once you have agreements with extending Edler and Hamonic in place.

But I agree wholeheartedly with your second point :lol:

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I don't think anyone is suggesting exposing Myers. You protect him, then trade him AFTER the ED once you have agreements with extending Edler and Hamonic in place.

But I agree wholeheartedly with your second point :lol:

honestly I don't know what Jim is going to do, he may expose him he may not. Maybe they take Myers and Rousell and a pick.

Personally I'd like to keep the current players with have still with term, and add in new talent. Maybe keep Hamoic if he's willing to come back at ~2 mil. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

honestly I don't know what Jim is going to do, he may expose him he may not. Maybe they take Myers and Rousell and a pick.

Personally I'd like to keep the current players with have still with term, and add in new talent. Maybe keep Hamoic if he's willing to come back at ~2 mil. 

Unless a no brainer trade comes along, ahead of the ED, that improves upon Myers, there's almost zero chance we're expose him IMO.

Trading him AFTER the ED however... that's a whole other kettle of fish. One way or another, one of Edler, Myers or Hamonic (or Schmidt if your insane like @Provost :P) aren't back next year IMO.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Unless a no brainer trade comes along, ahead of the ED, that improves upon Myers, there's almost zero chance we're expose him IMO.

Trading him AFTER the ED however... that's a whole other kettle of fish. One way or another, one of Edler, Myers or Hamonic (or Schmidt if your insane like @Provost :P) aren't back next year IMO.

I would guess Edler, but we shall see. 

We just don't have the cap space for a pre-ED trade, unless we're moving out a quality F for a d or vice versa. 

The other long-shot reason Jim would expose Myers is if they are working on getting Hamilton and just want the cap space. But that seems unlikely. 

54 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I would guess Edler, but we shall see. 

We just don't have the cap space for a pre-ED trade, unless we're moving out a quality F for a d or vice versa. 

The other long-shot reason Jim would expose Myers is if they are working on getting Hamilton and just want the cap space. But that seems unlikely. 

Could be Edler... but as Provost pointed out, we could likely re-sign Edler and Hamonic for at/just over what Myers alone is making.

And get a trade return after the ED for Myers.

AND allocate those funds towards another position (3C?).

Those are some pretty positive 'ands' with little overall difference to the quality of the D core, especially with Tryamkin coming in to replace the size factor we'd be losing moving out Myers.

We do have the cap space. Especially as you're allowed to go over in the offseason, we'd have yet to re-sign guys like Edler/Hamonic etc. Cap is not a barrier to upgrading Myers ahead of the ED.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Schmidt has been a mixed bag to me. His mistakes almost always end up in the back of our net. Of those three, he’s the one I’d prefer to be removed from an important game, but looking long term, Edler won’t be with us forever.

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Could be Edler... but as Provost pointed out, we could likely re-sign Edler and Hamonic for at/just over what Myers alone is making.

And get a trade return after the ED for Myers.

AND allocate those funds towards another position (3C?).

Those are some pretty positive 'ands' with little overall difference to the quality of the D core, especially with Tryamkin coming in to replace the size factor we'd be losing moving out Myers.

We do have the cap space. Especially as you're allowed to go over in the offseason, we'd have yet to re-sign guys like Edler/Hamonic etc. Cap is not a barrier to upgrading Myers ahead of the ED.

thats all good and makes sense, but it hinges on there being a deal for Myers out there, likely being worked on as we speak. I don't think you move that deal in a hurry and need the right partner. 

If Jim wants cap space opened up first, before making other moves, then maybe he exposes Myers. Having cap space is also quite valuable so thats why I'm not putting Myers exposure to Seattle as out of the question, it could be something Jim tries. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Schmidt has been a mixed bag to me. His mistakes almost always end up in the back of our net. Of those three, he’s the one I’d prefer to be removed from an important game, but looking long term, Edler won’t be with us forever.

Sure. Don't disagree he has. Some of that is style of play but I think a lot of it is simply being ona a new team (and the compounded by the same issues the entire team was having at the beginning of the year). Look at Myers for the first half of last year as well on a new team. It takes time to adapt in a normal season.

I’m trying hard here..   trade Jake for Zadorov, add Breisbois if you have to.

Use Jake’s 2.5 for Zadorov.

From Edlers 6m..

sign  Tryamkin 2m x 2

add  1.5m to Hamonics 1.25 

sign  Hamonic at 2.75m

Leaving 2.5 for Edler or someone else.

We really lose no D man or money on that re-distribution of funds.  But we gain 2 really good ones with more up potential each.

@Jimmy McGill,  I prefer Oban in my morning dirty drink...  little maple syrup ;)

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Sure. Don't disagree he has. Some of that is style of play but I think a lot of it is simply being ona a new team (and the compounded by the same issues the entire team was having at the beginning of the year). Look at Myers for the first half of last year as well on a new team. It takes time to adapt in a normal season.

And Schmidt has a longer history of playing as a legit top 4 D.  I have zero concerns regarding his ability.  

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Seriously think this is alternative universe to the Sedins playing together...

Tryamkin and Zadorov here could be something special,  their like twins :)

I have always loved Zadorov's game from the moment he was drafted and when he played in the Juniors however...  it is troubling that he hasn't been able to thrive in Chicago.  Blackhawks had big plans for him to take his game up a level but it hasn't happened despite there not being any significant d-men ahead of him.  

I'd rather have Tryamkin fill that 3rd pairing role for us.  

19 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I have always loved Zadorov's game from the moment he was drafted and when he played in the Juniors however...  it is troubling that he hasn't been able to thrive in Chicago.  Blackhawks had big plans for him to take his game up a level but it hasn't happened despite there not being any significant d-men ahead of him.  

I'd rather have Tryamkin fill that 3rd pairing role for us.  

Have Both Habs..  it’s possible.

I can not imagine what life is really like in the city of Chicago these days,  crime with guns, racial injustice, Covid..  not a great place to be..

We take for granted, how good we really have it here , trust me...  

He dose not like it there..