The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Only thing I can think of was that the 'agreed to' terms Tryamkin and his agent reportedly wanted, were for a higher dollar, longer term deal. In which case, I could totally see why Benning would need time to get ducks in a row, for say a 4 year, +/-$3m deal.

If he wanted assurances and a contract NOW, we were likely only prepared to offer a one year +/-$1.5m deal at this time. 

what ducks? I would think this is the kind of thing Jim and Gear would have worked out long before this weekend. 

I don't have the energy to argue about it, just colour me unimpressed. 

53 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I think what some of you are purposely avoiding is Benning himself said what Tryamkin was asking for was something they were willing to do. Diamond said the offer they got back was nowhere near what they wete asking and that Tryamkin would have to wait for additional cap to be cleared to get what he asked for.

Look at it from Tryamkin's perspective though. Accept a lower offer now or wait and hope Benning would clear cap and sign him. 

Benning is notorious for chasing after shiny objects. What if Tryamkin waited as Benning wanted then Benning traded for OEL or re-signed other players using up the cap. There was a big risk Tryamkin gets left without a chair when the music stopped.

I dont see how anyone can not at least agree that cap mismanagement is the culprit here. A million here, 500k there overpayments on several contracts would more than make up the difference to be able to sign Tryamkin.

You'd likely have more luck with your posts and responses on here if you avoided the smarmy hyperbole.

• Upvote 1

You cant overpay on a bunch of veteran contracts and then lowball younger and arguably more valuable players to that degree. Agents poke holes in that approach so easily.

Was Tryamkin the end all and be all? Of course not. But he did bring the type of game the Canucks sorely lack on their defense and have very little of in the prospect pool.

Could he have been the type of player that would have thrived with Hughes going forward? Maybe. He is big, strong, skates well, has a decent offensive element to his game, and is not afraid of doing the dirty work.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Only thing I can think of was that the 'agreed to' terms Tryamkin and his agent reportedly wanted, were for a higher dollar, longer term deal. In which case, I could totally see why Benning would need time to get ducks in a row, for say a 4 year, +/-$3m deal.

If he wanted assurances and a contract NOW, we were likely only prepared to offer a one year +/-$1.5m deal at this time. 

We still have loads of things to sort out between the ED, expiring contracts etc. Again, those things take precedence over a third pair RFA with a history of commitment issues.

There is nothing to suggest Tryamkin was asking for a long term deal. It was reported (maybe even by Diamond) that they had presented 1 or 2 year options and no one has suggested anywhere he was asking for 3 million.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

what ducks? I would think this is the kind of thing Jim and Gear would have worked out long before this weekend. 

I don't have the energy to argue about it, just colour me unimpressed. 

See the edit.

ED, expiring Hughes, Pettersson, Edler, Hamonic etc.

• Cheers 1

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

You cant overpay on a bunch of veteran contracts and then lowball younger and arguably more valuable players to that degree. Agents poke holes in that approach so easily.

Was Tryamkin the end all and be all? Of course not. But he did bring the type of game the Canucks sorely lack on their defense and have very little of in the prospect pool.

Could he have been the type of player that would have thrived with Hughes going forward? Maybe. He is big, strong, skates well, has a decent offensive element to his game, and is not afraid of doing the dirty work.

There is nothing to suggest Tryamkin was asking for a long term deal. It was reported (maybe even by Diamond) that they had presented 1 or 2 year options and no one has suggested anywhere he was asking for 3 million.

Then there wasn't need to 'clear cap'.

Honestly, Benning supporters should just take the L on this one and move on. 

We have now seen Markstron, Toffoli, Tanev, and Stecher leave, Gaudette traded, Tryamkin allowed to walk, and the common denominator in it all is the cap mismanagement of Benning, overpaying a bunch of players and giving them ntc that, in the current environment, dont need to be full ntc to make the player unmovable.

Our roster is terrible overall, we are at the cap max, there is many millions of dead money, and that is with our two best players still on ELC contracts. 

Cant wait to see the contracts handed out to Edler and Sutter.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Nucksownyou said:

What's funny is reading all the pathetic Benning haters overrate Tryamkin like he is some star. Tryamkin doesn't deserve more than $2 million at best. Hell, he doesn't even deserve that. We have the cap to sign him for less than $2 million.

Wow, how can you stick up for Benning when he has a 4 goal scoring, can’t take no for an answer forward making more than what you figure Tryamkin is worth? I love how Benning lovers are all, NBD.... but if he was signed for +2M you’d all be jumping around playing air guitar. 

35 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

That seems pretty specific for Diamond to be lying about. Also, it flies in the face of the cap reality of this team. 

So we were ok paying him $1-$1.5m but we'd have to 'clear cap' to pay him $1.5-$2m...?

Come on :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Nothing in what I said is hyperbole.

OEL and his horrible contract at the expense of negotiating with his own ufa players says hi. 

That you can't evidently see (or admit to) it, only shows how deep your bias is.

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Just going by what Diamond and Benning said. 

Does that add up to you?

$1-$1.5m is a-ok but we'd have to 'clear cap' to pay him $1.5-$2m...?

Seriously?

Just now, aGENT said:

That you can't evidently see (or admit to) it, only shows how deep your bias is.

Its not bias at all. Its fact. Benning wanted to get OEL and was trying to fit his terrible contract in so badly that he forgot to negotiate with his own ufa players. Thats been widely reported. 

Of course it interferes with the pom pom waving, I get it.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Does that add up to you?

Seriously?

I havent seen any number reported other than a mention that the Canucks countered with jusf over 1 mil. I have seen nothing stating what Tryamkin asked for and Benning said he was comfirtable paying if he could clear cap.

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Does that add up to you?

Seriously?

Its pretty fair to say based on what has been reported and said by both sides that for some reason the cap was not currenrly available. Hard to say exactly why that is until more shoes drop.

Could be EP and QH negotiarions are going worse than many expect. Could be he has already decided to extend Sutter and Edler to use up those available dollars. Could be that he has his eye on some more UFA players or trade targets that would require the cap space.

It sounds to me like the Canucks wanted to lowball him and are just making excuses now. Maybe he was asking for 4 years at 3 mil per but there is nothing to suggest it at this point. 1 or 2 years and an amount Benning at least publicly said he could agree to.

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Does that add up to you?

Seriously?

Any player could be fit in for just above 1 mil. Its barely above league minimum. Adding on even that small amount would in fact be a lot tougher based on the serious lack of cap wiggle room Benning has painted himself into.

1 hour ago, Hockey God said:

There is no blame here on Tryamkin at all.  He did nothing wrong at all in his past time with the Canucks, and again, he is not to blame here either.  The man had a choice:  certainty (hometown team, good money), or the unknown (Benning, Canucks budget).  Based on track records ... can you blame him for taking the certainty?  He has a family to look after, and that is what he is doing.  I wish him all the best.

Some forget this is just a sport,

to some it is employment , to those playing a sport, wanting longetivity out of it and at best, a scenario that works for them.
Some here forget he is from a foreign country,

with an authoritarian regime.

Some here forget there is a Pandemic upsetting the balance of the world,

.. and sadly but true, some people forget they have themselves and there family to think about first.  
... and exactly what you’ve stated ,   Certainty vs uncertainty..    

In an upside down world, I would pause on certainty.

• Huggy Bear 1