The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

And the thing that makes this missed signing so inexcusable is the fact that Tryamkin has so many of the qualities the Canucks don't have and need on their roster now, even if it was just for the bottom D pairing.  The only box that Tryamkin didn't tick off was RHD, otherwise, their defence could sorely use a player of his skill set and stature.  Woo is their only future hope for a D man with a combo of grit and some skill, but he just doesn't come close to filling the need they have for another D man with size, at least not close to how Tryamkin would have filled it

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

Usually I support Benning but he has lost me on this one. I am just thinking - Benning is in Texas watching U18 world championship. Maybe he was too busy watching games and evaluating potential draft players, and considered Tryamkin's signing as something not important, something which could wait..? Just trying to find some reason for his questionable contract negotiation.

By the way, Benning needs 2-week quarantine after coming back from the USA so he is not going to be with the team until the regular season end.

I know this is just an assumption but if this was the case then he is not qualified to be a general manager of a professional sports team. He should stick to being a scout.

Being "too busy" for a potential signing as a GM is absolutely laughable, especially when even a few weeks ago it seemed like Tryamkin's camp was open to a return to Vancouver. 

6 hours ago, joe-max said:

If JB really wanted him here, he should have been able to get it done. Obviously it was not a priority and I wonder what is instead. Podkolzin and Tryamkin would surely have been a nice wrecking combo for next season and immediately added an enormous amount of size and strength. Too bad.

Yet he wanted Pearson here for another 3 years at 3.25 mill per. 

:picard:

19 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

This is just it Jimmy!

We seem to be hemorrhaging talent

To me, it is a total mis-management of Cap and there by talent (Assets)

And I just want to remind the viewing audience, that for the first 5/6 years, I was a loud Benning supporter

But there just seems to be too much of this.........like......... every year

So when I look back, I now ask the question why did we invest in Myers, Toffoli, and Miller, if we are not in a win now mode? Why were we not committed to a complete rebuild, and why did we not sell more assets we could not afford, and why were we going after OEL, and why did we say that we wanted Tryamkin? 

IMO, Benning is hired to have those answers..........and not excuses

It started with Eriksson and it became another straw, and then another one, and then another one........................etc.........

And what even confuses me more, is why is Aqualini going along with it?

Aqualini needs a strong hockey oriented President, and to take a step back from anywhere near Hockey operations. He needs to do that....................

And we (the fans) need a clear message and a clear direction, from that president..............

Two years,   possibly 3 of flat cap has not helped any matters , it’s truly putting those teams, like us, at a huge disadvantage of being able to sign the core players we have at price point.

The one Team that will have a clear advantage over all other teams in the immediate future is Seattle,.  If done right, they hold every card to out perform LasVegas for the next 3-5 years.

Covid has upset everything..  and as much blame still goes back to signing players like LE and Sutter,.  
 Performance of the player regarding a high price point and non movement in those contracts they bring ,  has to be held accountable for.

ANYONE in the REAL WORLD, has to live up to the contracts they sign regarding the work and performance they bring.  Some situations bring on litigation for poor work and workmanship.   
Perhaps that is something that needs to be looked at.

If a player can go to arbitration before a contract is signed to find a comparable performance level of his play with that of another player.

Then it should be fair for an organization to hold a player to a level of performance that he supposedly brings.

I have found it shocking that a player like Loui Eriksson  in this day and age can stroll into the Canucks office in the Summer, and pick up his LARGE signing bonuses with the performance of work he has brought.

Its SHOCKING, it’s UNETHICAL, it’s UNREASONABLE, 

all contracts signed should be guaranteed ,

but only by being based on a criteria associated with performance based.

FLOATERS  have monetarily killed the progression of this team,  handcuffed us to the goal posts. and in Tryamkins case,  stymied  progression to this Team.

Teams need protection over players that rapidly decline after signing contracts above a certain money number point.

it’s needed.  

7 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Teams need protection over players that rapidly decline after signing contracts above a certain money number point.

it’s needed.  

I like your proposed changes Sam but the players association would never go for that.

51 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

it’s needed.  

ownership refused to get rid of bad contracts when they needed to.  Luongo could have been bought out (like Vinny Lecavalier was by Tampa) and we wouldn't be suffering through this recapture penalty right now.  We refused to cut our losses.  Loui could have been moved last summer, his contract was favorable to a cash strapped team like the Coyotes.  The fact that JB was unwilling to add anything (as confirmed by LE's agent) is a testament to the attitude that is trickling down from ownership and/or management on their refusal to eat a sunk cost.  If you look at all the wheeling and dealing the Leafs, Lightning, Rangers, Blackhawks (to name a few) have done the last 10 years to navigate bad contracts / situations, as compared to the Canucks, the difference is night and day.  

29 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I like your proposed changes Sam but the players association would never go for that.

It just seems a bit one sided Koots,

That a player (worker) looks at other players contracts and performance to base their salary from..

But the organization is handcuffed to pay out for diminished or unsatisfactory work.

For the NHLPA,.  this does not help if they are looking for the Capital Spending to rise and be more fluid between all players.

We’ve just seen Tryamkin leave because after taxes , it seems he can make the same money  in Russia. ( another point) .

Perhaps contracts aren’t “performance based”, but a true line in the contract could be written for “ pay regarding lack of performance “.

Then the argument arises, about being held back or being placed on a Bottom line..

To that: there are too many statistics carried in this game that would reveal a lack of opportunity to perform to a contracts potential..  and or the opportunities created to perform to that potential.

12 minutes ago, The.Burrowers said:

ownership refused to get rid of bad contracts when they needed to.  Luongo could have been bought out (like Vinny Lecavalier was by Tampa) and we wouldn't be suffering through this recapture penalty right now.  We refused to cut our losses.  Loui could have been moved last summer, his contract was favorable to a cash strapped team like the Coyotes.  The fact that JB was unwilling to add anything (as confirmed by LE's agent) is a testament to the attitude that is trickling down from ownership and/or management on their refusal to eat a sunk cost.  If you look at all the wheeling and dealing the Leafs, Lightning, Rangers, Blackhawks (to name a few) have done the last 10 years to navigate bad contracts / situations, as compared to the Canucks, the difference is night and day.  

Burrows,  I think those teams you mentioned are in for a world of grief themselves..

(The Leafs  - Tavares 11m per.) There is a ditch with Tavares name on it being dug beside Eriksson Rd. ;) 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Another one bites the dust, and another one's gone and another one's gone, another one bites the dust

Good job Jim :picard:

I too , can not stop shaking my head...

If Tryamkin was a part of his vision, it should have happened.

But what do I know .

Terry Rozier Thursday GIF

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, SilentSam said:

It just seems a bit one sided Koots,

That a player (worker) looks at other players contracts and performance to base their salary from..

But the organization is handcuffed to pay out for diminished or unsatisfactory work.

For the NHLPA,.  this does not help if they are looking for the Capital Spending to rise and be more fluid between all players.

We’ve just seen Tryamkin leave because after taxes , it seems he can make the same money  in Russia. ( another point) .

Perhaps contracts aren’t “performance based”, but a true line in the contract could be written for “ pay regarding lack of performance “.

Then the argument arises, about being held back or being placed on a Bottom line..

To that: there are too many statistics carried in this game that would reveal a lack of opportunity to perform to a contracts potential..  and or the opportunities created to perform to that potential.

I actually think the answer is how the contract is written..........there should be no special clauses in the last 1/3 of the contract, and all bonuses should be paid earlier...

so a 24 million dollar contract should for 6 years, should look like this

year 1..............3 million signing bonus 3 million regular  NMC

year 2..............3 million bonus 2 million regular NMC

year 3..............3 million bonus 2 million regular NMC

year 4..............2 million bonus 1 million regular NTC

year 5..............3 million regular

year 6..............2 million regular

That way, after the signing bonus is paid out in year 4........there is 6 million owing for 3 years

My understanding the buy out would be 2/3 of regular salary owed, paid over X2 as long or approx.

(4 million over 6 years = $666,666 per year for 6 years)

Not nice but much more manageable

The player might also take early retirement then as well

Not sure if we could do it that way, but certainly there should be a way to structure a contract better than JB has done them.............

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I too , can not stop shaking my head...

If Tryamkin was a part of his vision, it should have happened.

But what do I know .

Terry Rozier Thursday GIF

Agreed. I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being the straw that breaks the camel's back. Some say Willy's poor handling of Tryamkin is what finally got him canned. Maybe Jimbo will end the same way.

On 5/4/2021 at 3:50 AM, janisahockeynut said:

I should not have come back to this thread............*&^^%$ me!

So this stinks of JB trying to manipulate the truth..............and if Diamond is telling the truth, they yeah, I totally agree with you Jimmy

IMO, I an starting to believe JB is lacking credibility in what he says.............and that is playing out time and time again!

My problem, is......how do we believe what he says? Does he think Diamond will not protect his own credibility?

So, no JIm did not offer him the contract that Tryamkin had asked for..............

And, again &^%&**&$$E Me!, Benning had all season to figure this out.....................

Benning is a liar, and is just trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes

So, doesn't the Tanev and Taffoli stories, sort of underline exactly how Benning is operating...............

Unless Benning is covering for Aqualini..................does Aqualini really want his customers thinking that his GM is a liar?

Or at best, trying to deceive his customers?

Agree on a lot here... Why not just hand out a 3 mill contract. Myers got 6 mill and Gudbranson 4 mill. 

Tryamkin wanted to come here also but if Benning trying to lowball him Tryamkin just turn his head the other way. 

Benning have a hard time understanding swedes so russians is probably something unknown for Benning. 

How many personas/alias are Benning here. :bigblush:

• Cheers 1

On 5/5/2021 at 9:34 AM, The.Burrowers said:

LE's contract was not favourable given his performance (or lack thereof). No one would take LE, unless we're throwing in a first rounder. 

The Canucks would have needed a substantial contract to Tram to entice him to play here.

They were competing with a league that pays tax free to it's players. Given despite his numbers in the KHL, he wasn't going to Vancouver. 

He has a family, he seems content. And with covid maybe he feels the situation is better for himself and his family.

Stop pining for him. Move on.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

LE's contract was not favourable given his performance (or lack thereof). No one would take LE, unless we're throwing in a first rounder. 

The Canucks would have needed a substantial contract to Tram to entice him to play here.

They were competing with a league that pays tax free to it's players. Given despite his numbers in the KHL, he wasn't going to Vancouver. 

He has a family, he seems content. And with covid maybe he feels the situation is better for himself and his family.

Stop pining for him. Move on.

False.  It was more favorable last summer than it is now.  He had already been paid most of his current year salary up front last offseason and a team like the Coyotes would have got 2 years of 6 mill cap for a fraction of that price.

https://thecanuckway.com/2020/09/19/canucks-trading-loui-eriksson-isnt-hard-think/

While I can't say for certain (and neither can you), I believe we could have moved him if JB was willing to add something (less than a 1st IMO) to sweeten the pot.  His agent was on the record as saying JB was unwilling to add ANYTHING.... ANYTHING at all.... to help get a deal done.  That is ridiculous. 

The signing bonus isn't as juicy this offseason so teams will be less willing to offload.  I hope and pray we figure out something cause this farce has taken its toll.

Edited by The.Burrowers

36 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Interesting... reading between lines it seems Canucks had very little time to continue negotiating and seems like Tryamkin was just looking for an offer to bring back to KHL to match. If he was serious about Canucks, he would have allowed a bit more negotiating. There was no rush yet to get the KHL contract.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

On 5/7/2021 at 9:54 AM, The.Burrowers said:

False.  It was more favorable last summer than it is now.  He had already been paid most of his current year salary up front last offseason and a team like the Coyotes would have got 2 years of 6 mill cap for a fraction of that price.

https://thecanuckway.com/2020/09/19/canucks-trading-loui-eriksson-isnt-hard-think/

While I can't say for certain (and neither can you), I believe we could have moved him if JB was willing to add something (less than a 1st IMO) to sweeten the pot.  His agent was on the record as saying JB was unwilling to add ANYTHING.... ANYTHING at all.... to help get a deal done.  That is ridiculous. 

The signing bonus isn't as juicy this offseason so teams will be less willing to offload.  I hope and pray we figure out something cause this farce has taken its toll.

1 year of Marleau's 7 mil cap hit cost a 1st round pick, didn't it?  

2 years of Loui's 6 mil cap hit would've cost even more one would think. 

51 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

1 year of Marleau's 7 mil cap hit cost a 1st round pick, didn't it?  

2 years of Loui's 6 mil cap hit would've cost even more one would think. 

Do we seriously have 2 more years of Loui? I thought we were down to one?