The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

On 5/9/2021 at 5:32 AM, Slegr said:

Interesting... reading between lines it seems Canucks had very little time to continue negotiating and seems like Tryamkin was just looking for an offer to bring back to KHL to match. If he was serious about Canucks, he would have allowed a bit more negotiating. There was no rush yet to get the KHL contract.

Well, after Stecher, Tanev and Toffoli talked about lack of communication from Benning, I read a completely different between the lines section than you. 

• RoughGame 1
4 hours ago, aliboy said:

I thought it was interesting that as soon as they didn't sign Tram they rolled out Rathbone, who looks very good. 

Just a head shaker thinking what both Tram and Rathbone would look like next year.

• Upvote 1
Posted (edited)

I am on team Tryamkin Diamond on this one. 

Think about this. 

They have been saying for a while now that Tryamkin wants to come back to the NHL. This is while he is signed and playing for a team in the KHL. 

Benning supporters (I am usually one) are saying this was a leverage move and his intent was to sign in the KHL all this time... 

What was there to gain  by doing this? 

Alienate yourself in your current employment by having your coworkers know that you are looking to jump ship as soon as the year is over? Have your bosses be angry that you are quitting in a few months? 

Ppl talk about KHL and the Russian culture. I don't know much about it but from what I read here, apparently players get less ice (Esp if they are known to be leaving (Podz and his discussions regarding his lack of ice time) 

Same thing was said about Tryamkin when his ice time was cut back and he was scratched a few times (I think last year or the year prior) 

There was absolutely nothing to gain by announcing he wants to come back to the NHL. 

If I were him and I actually wanted to come back to the NHL , I'd do it quietly, sign the deal and then leave abruptly. 

If I wanted to stay in Russia and use the Canucks as leverage, again, I would do this privately.  Take the offer from the Canucks to the Atvo owner and say price needs to go up or I have to take this NHL offer. 

Diamond's stories check out more than Benning. 

I've already forgiven (Erikson, Baerstchi, Spooner, Rousel, Beagle, Ferland contracts) 

This and Toffoli to me is 2 strikes. 

Pearson was a foul tip so he's still at 2 strikes. 

Next one though and I agree, he needs to go. 

Literally, his drafting is the only reason he still has a job. 

Also I think it was convenient how Rathbone made his way onto the roster as this news was blowing up. 

Don't look there...

Look at this shiny new toy lol

Strengths 

1) he's drafted well and we have a solid young core so we are set from that standpoint 

Weaknesses

1) his free agency signings aren't good

2) his trades aren't that good

I feel like as the team is now developing into one that should make the playoffs, we need a GM that has Benning's weaknesses as his areas of strength. 

Question is, can Benning recover or will he make more mistakes? 

Do we want to find out and give him a chance to finish what he started or do we not want to risk that? 

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
On 5/8/2021 at 9:53 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

1 year of Marleau's 7 mil cap hit cost a 1st round pick, didn't it?  

2 years of Loui's 6 mil cap hit would've cost even more one would think. 

I've already explained my position on why it was a favorable contract.  The thought of paying 4 million in actual cash for 12 million in dead cap would have been quite appealing to Arizona.  Many mainstream analysts had this exact same position.  

Jim wouldn't even add a sweetener?

image.png.0dbe7ee844d13cb19f4d334c3a92cf24.png

We as fans really need to stop labeling anyone that disagrees with us a "Benning supporter/hater". Especially with cases like this where it's a he said/he said situation. We can speculate all we want on this and speculation creates discussion which is a good thing, but at the end of the day we don't really know what ACTUALLY happened. Agents are known to lie to strengthen their positions and make their players look good and GMs are also known to do the same. We can look at it and have a discussion without having to call someone a Benningbro/supporter or "you're just a Benning hater". Having to call someone this as if it makes their opinion invalid is just childish. Anyways just my 2 cents as I'm getting a bit tired of hearing this.

• Thanks 2
On 5/8/2021 at 7:52 PM, SilentSam said:

This guy always thought he was worth way more than he was. He complained about ice-time when he was here and he didn't deserve top 4 minutes. He could have developed into a good NHL dman but he didn't want to go through a development period. He just wanted to be given top 4 minutes. It doesn't sound like anything has changed. He wants to be paid for something he hasn't proven he is worth. He doesn't really want to play in the NHL he just wants to be paid in guaranteed money. When he saw what he was being offered he didn't even bother to negotiate and just took the money from the KHL. I am glad he didn't sign here. He has no interest in playing in the NHL. This team doesn't need players like that. 

20 minutes ago, SirCosmoDuffGordon said:

This guy always thought he was worth way more than he was. He complained about ice-time when he was here and he didn't deserve top 4 minutes. He could have developed into a good NHL dman but he didn't want to go through a development period. He just wanted to be given top 4 minutes. It doesn't sound like anything has changed. He wants to be paid for something he hasn't proven he is worth. He doesn't really want to play in the NHL he just wants to be paid in guaranteed money. When he saw what he was being offered he didn't even bother to negotiate and just took the money from the KHL. I am glad he didn't sign here. He has no interest in playing in the NHL. This team doesn't need players like that. 

What makes you say all that ^

Maybe he didn't want to come all the way here and play for a losing team that is apparently worse than the lames and Ottawa senators if that is hard to believe. 

I will wait two more years before making a final decision on him. 

• Hydration 1