The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

I'm sure JB factored in the possibilities around how badly this kid wants to play in the NHL. There's never any guarantees but a worthwhile risk with a late third round pick.

He should progress significantly over the next two seasons left on his contract. Don't know how financially stable his KHL club is or whether they're a top end club or a bottom feeder?

If this kid impresses at camp, maybe after this year the Canucks can buyout his contract and bring him over a year sooner.

Wildcard on defense? That is simply not what i saw. He was very steady and played it very safe. Tryamkin is not a wildcard on defense... Subban is a wildcard on defense.

Dude people spout off rubbish all the time on here just to sound knowledgeable. It's a national pastime I would just ignore him.

What do you think he is going to say when talking to an NHL team at the draft?

The question is will he want to in 2 years. There is a lot of costs that go in to coming to Vancouver to play in the NHL. I would argue that the more successful he is in the KHL over the next 2 years the less likely he will come to the NHL.

If he wanted to stay in the KHL, why would he even want to be drafted? Makes no sense to come to the draft and do interviews if that wasn't his goal. Waste of time and money.

If he wanted to stay in the KHL, why would he even want to be drafted? Makes no sense to come to the draft and do interviews if that wasn't his goal. Waste of time and money.

It could be his goal as of now. I'm just saying he could find himself very comfortable in the KHL. He may not yet realize the costs of coming to the NHL.

It could be his goal as of now. I'm just saying he could find himself very comfortable in the KHL. He may not yet realize the costs of coming to the NHL.

like renting an apt? Pretty much everything else is taking care of. In Russia, you still need to buy food and pay fo rent.

like renting an apt? Pretty much everything else is taking care of. In Russia, you still need to buy food and pay fo rent.

Not just financial costs which would likely be a smaller paycheck to start. Just, if not more importantly, the costs of learning a new language and moving to a new country with no friends or family.

Would you move to Russia in 2 years for a job that pays less?

Not just financial costs which would likely be a smaller paycheck to start. Just, if not more importantly, the costs of learning a new language and moving to a new country with no friends or family.

Would you move to Russia in 2 years for a job that pays less?

To pursue my dream, yes.

It does cost bucketloads of money to learn english...This will likely be the determining factor whether this kid comes over or not. He could just learn english the way the rest of the world does - by watching MTV, Jersey Shore and random Adam Sandler flicks on Youtube. Or, you know, the Canucks could hire a tutor.

You have nothing to substantiate the idea that Nikita's going to go back on his word and refuse to come over to the NHL. Would you be saying these things if he was Czech? Swiss? Slovakian?

A sober outlook is fine. Injecting negativity for the sake of it is not.

You have nothing to substantiate the idea that Nikita's going to go back on his word and refuse to come over to the NHL. Would you be saying these things if he was Czech? Swiss? Slovakian?

A sober outlook is fine. Injecting negativity for the sake of it is not.

I'm not saying it is a foregone conclusion that he will stay, just that it is a real possibility. And you are correct if he was Czech, Swiss or Slovakian I do not think the risk would be as high because there is a qualitative difference between the nationalities:

1) Slovakia, Switzerland, Czech Republic (along with other European countries) promote English in their education systems. Individuals from those countries would not only already be more advanced in English they would be a greater abundance of resources to advance their English.

2) Those countries do not have an elite level hockey league like Russia.

3) Geographical and cultural differences. The aforementioned countries are culturally much more similar to NA than Russian, in particular where Nikita was born and plays in the non-west portion of Russia.

There is also a catch-22 with Tryamkin. The better he plays over the next two years in the KHL the more likely he will actually be able to play -skillwise- in the NHL, but this good performance also increases the likelihood he will stay in the KHL. This being because the KHL does not want to lose good prospects to the NHL (they have a history of overpaying among other incentives to keep players in the KHL or bringing them back) espicially guys as easily identifiable as Tryamkin.

• Upvote 1

Willie is trying to recreate MH Tigers 2.0 while JB is recreating Bos, I sense a power struggle within the organization which will tear this franchise apart;).

Yeah lets destroy the Canucks now before the even have a chance to become successful again.

What would hockey in Vancouver be without some serious soap opera.

There are certainly signs he wasn't just gladhanding to get drafted. That's the case right now, and trying to argue a future that could be different or the same is a little tough to do.

It's always good to be aware of the possibilities, but there isn't much in the way of evidence at this point to support your opinion. Let's worry about that bridge if it ever gets built.

To pursue my dream, yes.

And if Russia was better than Canada, yes. I get that there's your home country and everything, but I would think about leaving Canada if I had a chance to pursue my dream in another country so long as it had similar or better prospects, both culturally and economically.

• Upvote 1

There is always a chance he doesn't come over but from what I've heard, the Canucks have really done their homework on this player. And everything that I've read about Tryamkin (some of it well-sourced and some merely rumours/hearsay) has been highly encouraging (in terms of him coming over here).

The Canucks supposedly flew Tryamkin over to Vancouver weeks prior to the combine for their own interview. Then they met with him again the morning of the draft.

And Boston was also scouting him and had apparently been in contact with Tryamkin at least once prior to the combine. Benning would have brought their data with him to Vancouver.

Add in the fact that the kid has been repeatedly reported to be very interested in the NHL and the North American game (I've read a number of items, in English and from Russian and other European sources in translation, where he's been described as a player who wants to pursue the game at the highest level--and he strongly believes that means playing in the NHL), and has made recent statements confirming this, and you have a lot of reasons for optimism.

Tryamkin has said that he intends to honour his KHL deal and play out the two years in Russia. I have no problem with this and actually see it as a positive. It confirms much that's been said about this kid's character: that he keeps his promises and doesn't play around with commitments. Also, I believe that the KHL offers what's arguably a higher level of competition than the AHL, so he should develop well by playing against a superior quality of opponent.

Of course, he'll need some time to learn and adjust to North American ice (and it would be nice to be able to observe him in the AHL), but by the time he's completed his KHL contract, he could be a fully developed professional who's quite ready (or maybe only a year away) to step into an NHL role.

Finally, his decision to attend the Canucks 2014 Summer Prospects Development Camp makes a strong statement as to his career intentions. Like I said earlier, everything I've read about Tryamkin suggests that he doesn't mess around and that he takes his commitments very seriously. He's not the type to mix signals. If he's attending camp, it's a pretty fair bet that playing for the Vancouver Canucks is where he's now set his goals for the future.

Of course, the "if all goes well" is an important caveat and there's a chance with every prospect that they don't hit their development targets and they flame out along the way. Tryamkin might never become an NHL-grade defender and could top-out as a KHL player. But potentially missing the grade (for whatever the reason) is pretty much the risk with any draft pick, no matter where they're from.

Candidate for post of the year. Thanks for insights Sid.

There is a significant chance he doesn't every come to the NHL. The fact that he doesn't speak English should not be over looked. He will make good money in the KHL for the next couple years. Why incur the costs of learning a new language, moving away from home leaving friends and family all to take a pay cut and play in the NHL?

Cuz he wants to be the very best.

That no one ever was

dun

dun

dun

to catch them is my real test, to train them is my cause,