The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mackenze Stewart | D/LW

Lui's Knob

Outside of Archibald, Defazio and Pedan...Utica doesn't have a whole lot of toughness and sandpaper in the lineup. Adding Mac will certainly help that department.

Hopefully Travis Green sticks around with the club because I think he could do wonders for the development of Stewart.

Outside of Archibald, Defazio and Pedan...Utica doesn't have a whole lot of toughness and sandpaper in the lineup. Adding Mac will certainly help that department.

Hopefully Travis Green sticks around with the club because I think he could do wonders for the development of Stewart.

Very unlikely Stewart makes Utica next year. Even playing in the ECHL might be a stretch. But it is either ECHL or playing an overage year in Junior. I guess Benning is hoping Stewart is a "late bloomer" because he needs to do some blooming before he is ready to play in any pro league.

If that's true, and would like to see a link, but that would mean that he is developing way better than anyone would have thought.

If I remember right, he didn't even start playing hockey until fairly late.

Yeah, very interesting that they'd want to amp up his development by yanking him out of junior. Must really see something in him.

Yeah, very interesting that they'd want to amp up his development by yanking him out of junior. Must really see something in him.

Players who refuse to quit are really good to have around. Even if they aren't scoring, they can motivate a whole team with their attitude and desire to compete and elevate the level of those around them.

Will be interesting to see how he does.

Very unlikely Stewart makes Utica next year. Even playing in the ECHL might be a stretch. But it is either ECHL or playing an overage year in Junior. I guess Benning is hoping Stewart is a "late bloomer" because he needs to do some blooming before he is ready to play in any pro league.

Benning has already stated that Stewart will be in Utica to start next season.

Great story. Will be pulling for Stewart to be in the NHL one day.

On a side note, this story shows that kids don't need to be on the top rep teams, especially when they have not even matured yet. I am sure there were kids skating circles around Stewart in his first couple years of minor hockey at age 12/13 that have had nowhere near the hockey career of this kid.

Stewart is the same predicament as Vey.You want a guy that can intimadate and fore check hard the candidates are..... yep that's right there are no others. Vey you want a play making centre the candidates are... Linden Vey and ??? that's right there ain't any others. This is equal parts wishful thinking and one part desperation by JB

Think Ferlund but bigger

Benning reacting to the Calgary series?

Hope Mckenzie can put it together, he's got some room to improve for sure as he has about 7-8 years less experience playing hockey than some of our other prospects. Could mean he's that much further away, but honestly if he can progress as quickly as he did to make major junior and now the AHL, he could be an NHL player in 2-3 years. Interested to see what he brings on the wing.

Hope Mckenzie can put it together, he's got some room to improve for sure as he has about 7-8 years less experience playing hockey than some of our other prospects. Could mean he's that much further away, but honestly if he can progress as quickly as he did to make major junior and now the AHL, he could be an NHL player in 2-3 years. Interested to see what he brings on the wing.

I don't think JB is as much as reacting to the Calgary series as wishing to address a percieved problem that's been with the club for a long time. Likely it's more to do with how Boston took a read on the Canucks and the need to address a blatantly obvious long time deficiency in the roster.

Benning has already stated that Stewart will be in Utica to start next season.

I saw that. Wow. Hard to believe. How can a kid with his numbers in the WHL to the AHL? I still can't see Stewart sticking with the team. If he is converted to the wing (as Benning says will happen) how does the displace other guys. Right now Jensen can't even get into the line-up and Gaunce was a healthy scratch earlier in the playoffs. Those guys are so far ahead of Stewart it is hard to even describe the difference. Is JB planning to guy Utica next year?

If Stewart is going to develop he needs playing time, and at least he could get that with the K-Wings in the ECHL.

Darren Archibald says hi

I don't see his signing as a reactionary move either. "meat and potatoes"

Also, just because JB said he'll be in Utica next year, doesn't mean he will for sure. He'll still have to earn his spot like anyone else. I think in saying that it more or less meant he won't be returning to the WHL for an over age year.

I saw that. Wow. Hard to believe. How can a kid with his numbers in the WHL to the AHL? I still can't see Stewart sticking with the team. If he is converted to the wing (as Benning says will happen) how does the displace other guys. Right now Jensen can't even get into the line-up and Gaunce was a healthy scratch earlier in the playoffs. Those guys are so far ahead of Stewart it is hard to even describe the difference. Is JB planning to guy Utica next year?

If Stewart is going to develop he needs playing time, and at least he could get that with the K-Wings in the ECHL.

i feel like the career scout who drafted the kid out of nowhere has a better idea how to develop him than the know-nothing, nobody, internet stat-watcher.

Archived