Draftees

6th - Jake Virtanen RW

24th - Jared McCan C

36th - Thatcher Demko G

66th - Nikita Tyramkin D

126th - Gustav Forsling D

156th - Kyle Pettit C

186th - McKenzie Stewart D

The more I look into Vey, the better it gets. He's already spent 3 years in the AHL showcasing he's easily been able to produce there. Had a knack of piling up points in the AHL, something that Nicklas Jensen can only dream of. Got a chance with the big club Kings and in 18 games dished out 5 helpers with teammates being Jordan Nolan and Trevor Lewis - not too shabby. His ELC just expired and he is NHL ready. Should have no problems signing him with his old Hat Tigers coach Desjardins behind the bench in Vancouver who he won a championship with in '06. Vey will immediately be a great addition to the bottom six with even top six upside. He's better than Dalpe, Schroeder, and Booth.

Bonino is a very good player. Seems everyone knows how good he is except Canucks fans who have been undervaluing him. Most Anaheim fans will tell you Nick was the Ducks 3rd best forward last season and rightfully so being the 3rd highest scorer on their team behind Perry and Getzlaf. Only 26 years of age entering his prime and I think he'll hit 60 points next season with the Canucks as a legit 2nd line centre.

Sbisa will be slotted right into the backend but his role depends since he is a hit or miss. He can either rebuild his game as he lost a step the past season or so and become a bonified top 4 dman or just end up as a bottom pair guy which isn't all that bad either when you look at it.

Dorsett is a 4th liner but a pretty solid one and an improvement over Sestito at the least. Heart and soul player that sticks up for teammates no matter what. Energizing player who can swing the momentum of a game and give the team a lift whenever needed.

Benning & Linden talked about wanting be a 4 line team and improving the bottom 6, especially the 4th line. With Dorsett and Vey in the mix, it'll be the first time in a long time that our 4th line isn't compiled of minor league calibre guys and will actually be capable of making an impact on a daily basis.

Bonino is a very good player. Seems everyone knows how good he is except Canucks fans who have been undervaluing him. Most Anaheim fans will tell you Nick was the Ducks 3rd best forward last season and rightfully so being the 3rd highest scorer on their team behind Perry and Getzlaf. Only 26 years of age entering his prime and I think he'll hit 60 points next season with the Canucks as a legit 2nd line centre.

Agree with everything but this,

This guy has one season of effective play on his resume, taking that into consideration, the age doesn't look quite so good anymore.

I know more Duck fans than Canucks fans, we are being laughed at.

I also attend more Ducks games than Canucks games, watched the guy play many times, he's ok.

Kesler was worth waaaay more than "ok"

Just occurred to me I will be seeing Kesler play more often now....lucky me

The ins and outs of the last 24 hours:

Out

Ryan Kesler C

Jason Garrison D

50th overall

85th overall

2015 Third round pick

2015 Seventh round pick

In

Nick Bonino C

Luca Sbisa D

Derek Dorsett RW

Linden Vey RW

24th overall

Draftees

6th - Jake Virtanen RW

24th - Jared McCan C

36th - Thatcher Demko G

66th - Nikita Tyramkin D

126th - Gustav Forsling D

156th - Kyle Pettit C

186th - McKenzie Stewart D

Can't count the 50th and 85th pick as "outs." We traded for them in the first place so they don't belong in that category.

It should be:

Out:

Ryan Kesler

Jason Garrison

3rd round pick 2015

7th round pick 2015

In:

Nick Bonino

Luca Sbisa

Derek Dorsett

Linden Vey

Jared McCann

Another in-and-out of the past 24 hours is that with Ryan Puckhog gone, the Canucks have at least a chance for the first time in YEARS to have a 2nd line that can develop some chemistry. I don't think this issue can be overestimated enough regardless of who the components of that 2nd line are. There's a chance to build something from scratch there, which will be exciting once training camp is under way.

This guy has one season of effective play on his resume, taking that into consideration, the age doesn't look quite so good anymore.

I also attend more Ducks games than Canucks games, watched the guy play many times, he's ok.

we'll see how long the Ducks last with kesler's ego introduced into that dressing room.

Kesler as a player was possibly more than ok although given his disappearing act for long stretches at times, his selfish play and inability to make anyone around him better, and his annual trips to the IR, it is really not as much of a loss as many think for a team in the position the Canucks are in.

Add in his selfish attitude, his cancerous presence in the locker room, and his whiny nature when things don't go his way, it is addition by subtraction.

After the comments that came out about how Kesler and his agent acted in the scenario, I will take a player like Bonino who wants to be here and contribute over a guy like Kesler who does not EVERY time.

Kesler can certainly help the Ducks in the playoffs. Good riddance though. If things go sideways for the Ducks in the playoffs for some reason then they can deal with Kesler and his sense of entitlement.

Kesler as a player was possibly more than ok although given his disappearing act for long stretches at times, his selfish play and inability to make anyone around him better, and his annual trips to the IR, it is really not as much of a loss as many think for a team in the position the Canucks are in.

Add in his selfish attitude, his cancerous presence in the locker room, and his whiny nature when things don't go his way, it is addition by subtraction.

After the comments that came out about how Kesler and his agent actehttp://forum.canucks.com/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=reply_post&f=24&t=361557&qpid=12237217d in the scenario, I will take a player like Bonino who wants to be here and contribute over a guy like Kesler who does not EVERY time.

Kesler can certainly help the Ducks in the playoffs. Good riddance though. If things go sideways for the Ducks in the playoffs for some reason then they can deal with Kesler and his sense of entitlement.

I agree. Without Kesler, you lose some good things, but you shed some bad things. Net result? Hardly crippling, especially for a team that failed to make the playoffs anyway.

After the comments that came out about how Kesler and his agent acted in the scenario, I will take a player like Bonino who wants to be here and contribute over a guy like Kesler who does not EVERY time.

I see your points, and that's certainly a valid way of looking at things,

However, I believe stars must be traded for other stars or those with star potential. I would have preferred the latter, had we gotten either TT or 10th, I wouldn't have said a word about it.

But I now see that wasn't to be.

Trev/Benn's marching orders are to compete now and get the team back to where it was, sellouts and playoff revenue. Had they been offered one of those two pieces, unless there was a player to help us now included, they would have turned it down. Who knows? Maybe they were offered those pieces?

I'm not familiar with the comments made by Kesler and his agent that you referenced...I'll go google it.

I see your points, and that's certainly a valid way of looking at things,

However, I believe stars must be traded for other stars or those with star potential. I would have preferred the latter, had we gotten either TT or 10th, I wouldn't have said a word about it.

But I now see that wasn't to be.

Trev/Benn's marching orders are to compete now and get the team back to where it was, sellouts and playoff revenue. Had they been offered one of those two pieces, unless there was a player to help us now included, they would have turned it down. Who knows? Maybe they were offered those pieces?

I'm not familiar with the comments made by Kesler and his agent that you referenced...I'll go google it.

Under normal circumstances I would agree. But this situation was hardly a normal circumstance. Kesler kept shrinking the list of teams he would consider a trade to. So Benning had no real ability to get an overpayment for Kesler. Had there been no NTC I think Benning would have gotten a windfall or a star player in return. But Kesler and his agent ensured that the opportunity to do so was not there. Anaheim knew it and as such likely would not part with those kinds of players in the deal.

It is not likely enough for Kesler in a perfect world. But Kesler himself ensured it was not a perfect world.

I absolutely agree that ownership wants the playoffs and sellouts. I personally think that is a huge mistake to make that the focus but it is a business. If they wanted to win a cup over all else they would allow Benning to trade the aging core players for 2015 1sts, top prospects, and young players and take their lumps for the next few years until they all gel and grow together. Then boom they augment it with key free agent signings ad go for the prize. Business interests suggest that won't be in the cards in Van though.

Fans here should support this team no matter what the lineup is.

However, not even the mighty Hawks could fill the arena during their dark years.

These are the days when the real fans stick around. Unfortunately surrounded by trolls from other teams fanbases looking down at your team, but when we rise again, it will be glorious.

This rebuild will land us a cup imho. As long as the franchise is prepared to do it the right way.

All this talk of shedding our core for youth. Do some fans want us to be Edmonton? Benning, Linden and company did a great job over the last couple of days. We have more top end prospects, a better age distribution throughout the roster and really good core players to mentor and shelter the youth coming up so they can learn their trade without getting blown out.

Things are looking bright in Van and I'm happy to see our team using a similar development model as Detroit finally. For all the talk we heard about that over the last few years we sure got away from it. I don't think they're done yet with all of that available cap space and I think we'll be pleasantly surprised at how competitive this team actually is next season.

Another in-and-out of the past 24 hours is that with Ryan Puckhog gone, the Canucks have at least a chance for the first time in YEARS to have a 2nd line that can develop some chemistry. I don't think this issue can be overestimated enough regardless of who the components of that 2nd line are. There's a chance to build something from scratch there, which will be exciting once training camp is under way.

The black hole is gone...

All this talk of shedding our core for youth. Do some fans want us to be Edmonton? Benning, Linden and company did a great job over the last couple of days. We have more top end prospects, a better age distribution throughout the roster and really good core players to mentor and shelter the youth coming up so they can learn their trade without getting blown out.

Things are looking bright in Van and I'm happy to see our team using a similar development model as Detroit finally. For all the talk we heard about that over the last few years we sure got away from it. I don't think they're done yet with all of that available cap space and I think we'll be pleasantly surprised at how competitive this team actually is next season.

Agreed, they need balance. They can't just tank for the off chance they might get McDavid. Who knows how he develops if there is no one around to mentor him. Edmonton's route is not the path to take.

Archived