The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why can't we wait till after the 2015 Draft to start winning?

snizzle_

With the moves Benning is making, it's pretty obvious he still wants to be competitive this coming season; albeit, the picks we go this weekend will not pan out for awhile (along with last years prospect group). The thing is, this team needs more than 1 summer retool, we need a full on rebuilt and whoever does not agree with this is in denial; Botchford said it best after the Kesler trade: "The Canucks now only have 2 top-6 forwards, and that is the Sedins". Do we want to be a playoff team for the next few years or a contender in 4 or 5?

Yes we have lots of cap room to improve our deficient roster but I don't see why any coveted FA would want to come here seeing how the team is starting to look divided, with half of the old team still here with parts of the new regime's team coming in.

Most contending teams right now, Chicago, LA and Anaheim all had many bad years in the league's basement, and drafted high (Toews, Kane, Doughty) but also insulated them with with good depth through drafting. We're starting to get some of that in the last 2 drafts but we still lack at No.1 elite offensive talent whether it's on backend or upfront.

This is where I am confused as to why we wouldn't want to tank this coming season as this next draft seems to have the best tandem since the 04' draft with Ovi and Malkin going 1-2. If we could have a chance at Eichel or McDavid, why not tank and then reset for the 15-16 season. Obviously it's a risk considering we still have much of the original core that's well into their prime (Sedins, Bieksa and Hamhuis) but it's worth noting that if we could land an Eichel or McDavid and you factor in our pretty deep prospect pool, we could likely be a contender with amazing depth down the road when the Sedins start to really tail off.

It's just one more year!

Aquilinis want money.

With the moves Benning is making, it's pretty obvious he still wants to be competitive this coming season; albeit, the picks we go this weekend will not pan out for awhile (along with last years prospect group). The thing is, this team needs more than 1 summer retool, we need a full on rebuilt and whoever does not agree with this is in denial; Botchford said it best after the Kesler trade: "The Canucks now only have 2 top-6 forwards, and that is the Sedins". Do we want to be a playoff team for the next few years or a contender in 4 or 5?

Yes we have lots of cap room to improve our deficient roster but I don't see why any coveted FA would want to come here seeing how the team is starting to look divided, with half of the old team still here with parts of the new regime's team coming in.

Most contending teams right now, Chicago, LA and Anaheim all had many bad years in the league's basement, and drafted high (Toews, Kane, Doughty) but also insulated them with with good depth through drafting. We're starting to get some of that in the last 2 drafts but we still lack at No.1 elite offensive talent whether it's on backend or upfront.

This is where I am confused as to why we wouldn't want to tank this coming season as this next draft seems to have the best tandem since the 04' draft with Ovi and Malkin going 1-2. If we could have a chance at Eichel or McDavid, why not tank and then reset for the 15-16 season. Obviously it's a risk considering we still have much of the original core that's well into their prime (Sedins, Bieksa and Hamhuis) but it's worth noting that if we could land an Eichel or McDavid and you factor in our pretty deep prospect pool, we could likely be a contender with amazing depth down the road when the Sedins start to really tail off.

It's just one more year!

"Why can't we wait till after the 2015 draft to start winning?"

Why can't you wait till after the 2015 season to start whining?

Jimmy will try to move up in the draft next year...he's just one of those kinda guys. McDavid will be a mother canucker for us for years to come.

You thought 2 firsts and Shinkurak was a lot to move up 5 spots for this years draft. What do you think it will cost to move up to get McDavid?

The league doesn't mind teams tanking, as long as the RIGHT teams are tanking. If it's a Canadian team that is basically the gravy train to cover up for all of Bettman's expansion mistakes, that's a problem. Phoenix has been tanking for years, and nobody cared, not even Bettman and his cronies. They just keep bailing that team out - because they have money they got largely from Canadian revenues. Chicago tanked for years and finally became a Cup winner. If Vancouver did that in today's NHL, that could be a problem for them.

Even if we finish last or second last there's a big chance we won't get either with the new system

The 2015 draft isn't just about those two though! This is something CDC cannot seem to understand! A top 10 pick in that draft is still great.

You dont bring in a new pres of hockey ops, a new gm, and a new coach to tank...Season ticket sales already took a hit, our team would be so broke after another bad season and we couldn't afford to be competitive for years. We can always trade up while remaining competitive. The ducks had a great season and playoffs, I'd be more than satisfied with a similar performance out of the canucks, I dont expect even close to that of the ducks 13/14 season and post season. Point being, they had the 10th pick even after their great season, we can do the same if not better.

Looking at the divisions, even if the Canucks miss the playoffs, the likelihood of them finishing in the bottom 3-5 is next to none.

There are 2-3 teams in their division alone that will be worse then they are in Edmonton, Calgary, and Phoenix. Meaning, those are teams that the Canucks will more then likely put up some wins against.

Then, look at the Central division. As much as I think the Jets are improving, they will likely end up finishing in the bottom 2 in their division, along with Nashville; as Chicago, Colorado, Dallas, Minnesota, and St. Louis will pile on the wins against both of them. Less wins for the Jets and Nashville.

As for the Metropolitan division, the Devils and Hurricanes will be quite bad next year, especially the Devils. In the Atlantic, it's almost assured that the Sens and the Sabres will get pummeled into submission.

As much as Canuck fans would like to get Eichel, McDavid, or Barzel, there are teams that are either just downright worse then they are (ie: Sabres, Sens) or play in a vastly superior conference that they will get destroyed in with the amount they have to play those teams (ie: Jets, Preds).

The 2015 draft isn't just about those two though! This is something CDC cannot seem to understand! A top 10 pick in that draft is still great.

what some of cdc doesnt seem to understand is, we can still get a top 10 without tanking.

I don't think this is a Benning choice. I would guess Aquilini has no appetite to lose out of playoff revenue and im thinking he thinks the majority of the fan base does not want to see a lottery team, which i disagree with. Perennial lottery team like the Oilers and the fans would definitely lose interest but i think the buzz drafting a top notch gem of a prospect for a year or 2 would sit well with most. I don't think its that out of the realm of reality to think this team could be drafting top 5.

It's just one more year!

Because tanking for last place doesn't guarantee the number 1 pick?

Why should the team tank the whole season for one guy?

How the hell do you tank anyway..tell the players not to win?

To deliberately tank it has to come from the top like the way Pitts did it for Mario or what Buffalo and Edmonton did. When Edmonton was in the running for RNH they played a ton of games in the last half of the season playing the 4th line as the 1st, eventually the rest of the players just give up. I don`t think Benning, Linden have tank in them they probably think it`s a virus because it infects you with losing.

I understand what motivates this type of argument, but I still think it's pretty silly. As is the case with every franchise, if this team is obviously not a playoff calibre team come the trade deadline, veteran pieces will be moved for youth and (hopefully high) draft picks. THAT is the time when the team would decide to "tank" by which I only mean that they would put young guys into more prominent roles and try to give them meaningful experience without caring about how they do in the standings. And if the young guys start to win when they are left to run the show, then GREAT!

But that's not so likely, and look at how many spots the team dropped at the end of last season after the trade deadline: All the way to a 6th overall pick. I don't think it makes any sense to count on sucking so much, all season long, that you are guaranteed a top 2 pick, as there has to be some pretty bad luck involved for that to happen, no matter the team. Besides, it is still possible to get that lottery pick from the number 5, 6, 7, etc. position, and if we have more than one high pick, we have even better chances (and the absolute worst case scenario is still a very good young prospect or two).

Furthermore, while many teams have benefitted from #1 and #2 picks (Pittsburgh, Chicago), others have NOT had it all come together yet, even with a #1 (TB, Edmonton). There are also teams that didn't pick in those top two spots that are very competitive regardless (Detroit, Anaheim) and some that did, but the players they picked didn't have much impact (Boston, St. Louis). Each contending team is quite unique in terms of how they got to the point they are at, and I think that alone pokes some serious holes in the "tanking theory."

Finally, if this team is a playoff calibre team, then that is also GREAT! And even a first round loss is good experience for the young guys we already have on the team. After that, let Trader Jim earn his moniker again by making smart moves for youth and draft picks, to keep the cupboards stocked for the future.

Let's say we even get Eichel... yes there is an abundance of centres.

Virtanen Eichel Shinkaruk

Jensen Horvat Kassian

Gaunce McCann Cassels

Gorgeous.

Our defense... needs a bit of work.

I dont think that McCann will be our 3rd line C of the future... and yes i know ur trying to say that IF WE GET EICHEL :D

what some of cdc doesnt seem to understand is, we can still get a top 10 without tanking.

With the free agents we've been signing, I'm not so sure anymore. I just think that they want to get as far up as possible (1st round exit in the playoffs?) to avoid losing a lot of season tickets.

Any acceptance of a losing mentality creates a losing mentality. Unless losing happens as a result of playing your guts out and battling, losing is for losers. Do you want to be a loser?

I don't want to be a perennial loser for the next half decade+ like Edmonton and Calgary which is why I say go for the deepest draft in years. Let's have a bit of foresight here. You can't always compete every year and expect to have a full cupboard in the future. That's all recent Canucks fans want: "I want a cup now now now!!!" Sorry to break it to you but we don't have Detroit - like scouting; few teams do.

When I say the word tank I don't mean intentionally let in goals to lose games. Just give starting roster spots to a couple of our prospects with knowing that there might be a learning curve. As opposed to spending to the cap cuz we have money and increasing the age of our team when we should be trying to get younger.

Archived