The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why can't we wait till after the 2015 Draft to start winning?

snizzle_

AZ, NSH, BUF suck too hard, there is an outside chance we could get the first, we'd have to get lucky with injuries and the young guys would have to be disappointing. Maybe have another top guy demand a trade. But it's unlikely, we won't nearly have the chaos in the lockerroom as much as last year, likely won't get a ridculous ammount of injuries, offence will be better because Willie in a lot of ways is going back to how AV did things, more tempo, pace, attacking. PK was solid even last year, if they decide to practice the PP, which I assume they will, it should improve from last season. Not looking good for us to get McDavid or Eickel.

I'd rather the Canucks make the playoffs in the next 3 seasons and our young kids get some big-game experience, playing in meaningful games and learning what it takes to win in this league rather than having a horrible losing record for 3 straight seasons and hoping that we have enough talent to win in the 4th year.

You don't win in this league overnight by tanking - look at Florida, Buffalo and Edmonton.

You win by having a couple of bad seasons, followed by some playoff years where the team struggles but gains experience. Then after a couple of failed playoff runs, the team, which is stocked with young talent AND experience, puts it all together and wins a Cup.

Pittsburgh, Chicago and Los Angeles were only bottom feeders for a couple of season. They stocked up on picks in those two years, then made the playoffs the next season and were ousted in one or two rounds. Then in the 3rd go they put it all together and won Cups.

Now looking at the Canucks, we practically had a "tanked" season last year with the high picks in Horvat and Shinkaruk. To complement them, we now have McCann and Virtanen. They're no Crosby-Malkin but they're good enough to start building a solid core around.

It's a business. Gotta make money. In Vancouver if you want to make money you got to win.

I'd argue that tanking for one year and drafting an absolute franchise star would result in more jersey sales, tickets, wins, playoff games - and hence $$$ in the long run

Imagine if we got McDavid- the Canucks would be the hottest ticket in town, jerseys would fly off the shelves ...

I'd argue that tanking for one year and drafting an absolute franchise star would result in more jersey sales, tickets, wins, playoff games - and hence $$$ in the long run

Imagine if we got McDavid- the Canucks would be the hottest ticket in town, jerseys would fly off the shelves ...

after a year of losing not many would give a flip. especially if they ended last place and STILL didn't get him (cause, hate to break it to you and all but... LOTTERY!)

There's a guy named Jack Eichel who they say is pushing McDavid fit first overall. I think it's gonna be McDavid going first but Eichel is no slouch! Top five this coming year looks to be really good! Ppl just see McDavid cuz he's been talked about four years. This is the best year to go in a rebuilding learning curve.

Archived