The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pen's Tank Job Feature on TSN is Shameful

None of the guys that were involved are still around

Ain't nuthin wrong with tanking. It's a legitimate strategy. We should tank for Mcdavid. We have youth to step in (Jensen, Kassian, Shinkaruk, Virtanen, Horvat, McCann, Gaunce) and we have veteran mentors (Sedins, Burrows, Higgins, Hamhuis, Bieksa). McDavid would be perfect for us

McDavid would be perfect for everyone.

It seems like a grey area to me. If the GM wants to trade his top players suddenly that's his prerogative. As long as the players aren't intentionally losing, I'm fine with it. The coaching stuff is a bit scummy, in my opinion, but they aren't technically throwing games.

Tanking is way easier to do in basketball where 2 players can turn your team around. Hockey? Requires a tonne of patience. McDavid is still 7-9 years away from his NHL peak years. I'll be watching the Buffalo situation with an interested eye. They have a long way to go to get to the cap floor. Even if they sign a few players with insane bonuses to get there that may be viewed as cap circumvention and result in a loss of picks.

I don't think "Tanking" has a place in professional sports. After all, the main goal is to WIN and be COMPETITIVE. Tanking takes away that sportsmanship aspect. However, this did happen a while back, so I wouldn't pay much attention to the "old boys banter" on TV. They're just reminiscing the glory days.

What repercussions would you expect lol.

Its not like its a gorund breaking idea for a team to drop to get number 1, happens often. And its not like they've been innocent since...

loss of draft picks, fines. NJ lost their 1st for trying to cheat the cap rules, this is much worse. On top of all that they are openly admitting it.

Maybe they should punish Colorado for tanking to get MacKinnon too?

Besides, Mario saved that franchise. That's why he's part-owner because he did everything he could to keep the team afloat.

The current value of the team is $480 million. I'm pretty sure Lemieux is the majority owner. If he sold his share of the team he'd get a nice chunk of that value.

Tanking is way easier to do in basketball where 2 players can turn your team around. Hockey? Requires a tonne of patience. McDavid is still 7-9 years away from his NHL peak years. I'll be watching the Buffalo situation with an interested eye. They have a long way to go to get to the cap floor. Even if they sign a few players with insane bonuses to get there that may be viewed as cap circumvention and result in a loss of picks.

Crosby won an Art Ross in his second year...

Shameful my ass. There's no rule against it. Every team is trying to get as good as it possibly can in every way it possibly can within the rules.

The resultant team provided some spectacular hockey moments. The only people who don't like the move are those who didn't think of it first.

From Article II of the NHL Constitution: Purposes and Objects

2.1 The purposes and objects for which the League is organized are:

c) "The promulgation of rules governing the conduct of play of hockey games between the Member Clubs in the League, the relationships between the players and the Member Clubs, between Member Clubs and The League, and between Members Clubs and other hockey clubs, to the end that the public may be assured of a high standard of skill and fair play, integrity and good sportsmanship."

Archived