The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why did Hunter Shinkaruk fall to 24 in the draft?

canucktican

It's pure size. You can get away with being small in juniors but you have to be extremely talented to be small in the NHL. Like SCHROEDER who dropped do to his size has been very underwhelming in the NHL and AHL, hence the reason he is not being receiving a qualifying offer. Will hunter break the mold, I'm not sure but the odds are going to be against him.

You can never pinpoint one reason why as different teams have different reasons for passing on someone. ex) size, maturity, personal character, maybe they just need a positional need or have their eyes set on someone else, etc. You get the point.

But I would say mostly it was because of Shinkaruk's nature as a prospect. His size, injury history, pure stat line progression, even age, and all that make him a high risk high reward prospect. Some teams just would rather take a lower risk player, whether they believe they have the same potential or not. Shinkaruk could very well turn into a top 6 forward, maybe even a top line forward, but still, he could turn out to be another Jordan Schroeder, struggling to crack the lineup. As of right now, he looks promising and looks more likely that he will turn out well, but at the time, the risk is something other GMs had to consider.

He's 5'10. It's a size factor. People are scared to pick small, skilled forwards as they're often less likely to turn out. Same reason why Kapanen dropped in this year's draft.

I see the argument about size but some of the most lethal player sin the game are below 6ft (Parise, Crosby St Louis etc.) Hunter has a very high ceiling and could blossom into a serious offensive threat. I don't want to give him up

Easy. Look at his stats from the year before he was drafted - 49g 42a 91p - and then look at his stats the year after, when players usually make a big jump in production due to being a year older/stronger/bigger/etc - 37g 49a 86p. He regressed. Most top picks accelerate their production, like Horvat did this year.

That's why he fell. Because it appeared as if he'd already topped out his potential.

It's pure size. You can get away with being small in juniors but you have to be extremely talented to be small in the NHL. Like SCHROEDER who dropped do to his size has been very underwhelming in the NHL and AHL, hence the reason he is not being receiving a qualifying offer. Will hunter break the mold, I'm not sure but the odds are going to be against him.

Schroeder is like 5'7 Shinkaruk was no where near that size he was pretty average at 5'11

Archived