The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why did Hunter Shinkaruk fall to 24 in the draft?

canucktican

The impression is that he's a me-first, team-second guy....puts his own concerns above the others.

What? That is the complete opposite of everything that has been said about him. There is a reason why he was named Captain of the Tigers and why his Coach and GM raved about him

Shink fell because the Hockey Gods looked upon us and said after the shocking Schneider deal...

Let them have Shink... and we got Shink.

I prefer let them have Shink and Reinhart and Ekblad and Virtanen and McCann lol

We've had a taste of what he can do, and it was impressive. But we haven't seen everything yet (geez we JUST drafted him a YEAR AGO!). I definitely hold him much higher than Agent Schroeder. He is clearly a superior player overall. Let's wait until the end of September before we further speculate on the guy...

When you steal something, it's best not to ask why the owners left the door wide open.

Just take it and run.

just like we stole Schroeder?

and no I'm not comparing the two but its a fair question by the OP. Although it would probably just be better if he posted it in the Hunter Shinkaruk discussion thread.

Lol I think you might've missed the point of that comment

how so. When Schroeder dropped to us CDC went wild. Sometimes there's a reason why people drop. Sometimes not. But I thought it was a fair question to ask. So many stupid questions get asked on these boards. Was it new thread worthy? Probably not.

Easy. Look at his stats from the year before he was drafted - 49g 42a 91p - and then look at his stats the year after, when players usually make a big jump in production due to being a year older/stronger/bigger/etc - 37g 49a 86p. He regressed. Most top picks accelerate their production, like Horvat did this year.

That's why he fell. Because it appeared as if he'd already topped out his potential.

True but if you ask anyone in the organization or their fans, they would say he improved. He didn't regress skill wise, he just lost a lot of quality players (ex. Emerson Etem) on his team. He had to take a bigger role with less help and still produced at a good pace. Most people that watch him will tell you he actually improved his game, and I'm sure scouts would say the same.

sometimes, there's a reason why players drop so far. Sometimes, they just do. In Shinkaruk's case, there were several reasons. It's been said that he did not interview well, he was small, teams often opted to go for the safer pick, and it was mostly positional; the 2013 draft was not like this year's where everybody went close to where they were projected to go. Some teams were really high on certain guys and they were still available so they took him. Hunter fell to us and we should be grateful

I see the argument about size but some of the most lethal player sin the game are below 6ft (Parise, Crosby St Louis etc.) Hunter has a very high ceiling and could blossom into a serious offensive threat. I don't want to give him up

Parise was often doubted due to his size and I'd say he's fairly underrated by some at this point. St. Louis, despite how great he is had a very difficult time in his earlier years in the NHL and had to work his way up. He went fairly unnoticed until he won the cup with TB. Players like Crosby only come once a decade or so. If Shinkaruk had Crosby's ceiling he would have been 1st pick at the least. Smaller players usually get bumped down, not to mention Shinkaruk seems to be developing injury problems.

Decline in production typically isn't a good sign for prospects so I'm guessing that was why. I'd consider him a pretty risky pick because of that and his size but we were able to afford to make a risky pick after getting another first and taking the safe route with Horvat who will, at worst, be a good two way third liner at the NHL level.

Size.

Not a 200-foot player.

And, from participating in junior hockey forums, he seems to rub a lot of people the wrong way. He isn't particularly well-liked in Medicine Hat.

I live in Medicine Hat, it's true he does rub people the wrong way. Definitely comes off as a cocky me first player. Elaborate goal celebrations and things of that nature. Plenty of rumblings about locker room antics not going over well with his teammates also. A year or two of paying his dues and earning it the hard way probably wouldn't be a bad thing for him.

That's being said, he has unbelievable hands and has a wicked shot. Still only 19 years old so has plenty of time to grow up. Met him in the stands at a Tigers playoff game this year with my two young sons and he was very friendly with them and didn't come off as "I'm too good to pay attention to fans". He even posed for a picture with us. I wished him luck and said I hope too see him in a Canucks uniform soon and he thanked me for the wishes. Seemed like a nice enough kid to me. His reputation took a pretty big hit in town over the last year so maybe it humbled him. Easy to forget that these guys are still just kids and some mature later than others.

Archived