The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why did Hunter Shinkaruk fall to 24 in the draft?

canucktican

I live in Medicine Hat, it's true he does rub people the wrong way. Definitely comes off as a cocky me first player. Elaborate goal celebrations and things of that nature. Plenty of rumblings about locker room antics not going over well with his teammates also. A year or two of paying his dues and earning it the hard way probably wouldn't be a bad thing for him.

That's being said, he has unbelievable hands and has a wicked shot. Still only 19 years old so has plenty of time to grow up. Met him in the stands at a Tigers playoff game this year with my two young sons and he was very friendly with them and didn't come off as "I'm too good to pay attention to fans". He even posed for a picture with us. I wished him luck and said I hope too see him in a Canucks uniform soon and he thanked me for the wishes. Seemed like a nice enough kid to me. His reputation took a pretty big hit in town over the last year so maybe it humbled him. Easy to forget that these guys are still just kids and some mature later than others.

Sounds a little like Patty Kane with the celebrations.

Ehlers is the same height but like 15 pounds lighter and he still went top ten in this draft. Same with Nylander, except only like 5 pounds lighter. I don't think it was just because of his size, there was just better players available before him.

Having followed the Canucks since '70 and seen a lot of new talent come along my prediction for Shinkaruk is that he has a successful career in the NHL. He will or will not be a Canuck long term depending on whether his "cockiness" and "attitude" meshes with the team.

I am betting he makes the team and does well. In fact I think he will have several years where he is an exciting addition to the team. Whether his career is spent here depends on whether he matures into a true professional or remains a bit of a project in that respect.

He was projected to be a mid first rounder so he didn't fall that far. Surprised Calgary didn't take him though.

More importantly, how the f*%k did Saad fall to the second round.

He was projected as one of the top 5 at the start of his draft year. What changed is that he decreased his production slightly. Some took that to mean that he was only good because of Etem who he had played with the previous year. Rather than crediting them both with being good players who become even better together, it was believed that Shinkaruk was not actually as good as his pre-draft year implied.

It was pretty silly given that he only saw a slight dip in production despite losing a fantastic player on his line and his PP unit. But that, combined with his build (he's 5'11" and 180 lbs so he's hardly small), meant that he fell over the course of his draft year and during the draft.

Also, the talk about his attitude never began until after Calgary passed on him. Flames fans were shocked that they passed on the hometown kid for Emile Poirier and then latched onto the idea that he was arrogant and had attitude problems. No one had mentioned a word of it until after he didn't go at 22.

He was projected as one of the top 5 at the start of his draft year. What changed is that he decreased his production slightly. Some took that to mean that he was only good because of Etem who he had played with the previous year. Rather than crediting them both with being good players who become even better together, it was believed that Shinkaruk was not actually as good as his pre-draft year implied.

It was pretty silly given that he only saw a slight dip in production despite losing a fantastic player on his line and his PP unit. But that, combined with his build (he's 5'11" and 180 lbs so he's hardly small), meant that he fell over the course of his draft year and during the draft.

Also, the talk about his attitude never began until after Calgary passed on him. Flames fans were shocked that they passed on the hometown kid for Emile Poirier and then latched onto the idea that he was arrogant and had attitude problems. No one had mentioned a word of it until after he didn't go at 22.

You don't score 49 goals in 66 games unless you have a lot of skill and his wrist shot is incredible. His shot reminds me a lot of P. Kanes if he hadn't of gotten injured he would of been a lock this year now time will tell.

You know 5'11 180 is not that bad. It is the worry that he may never be bigger than that. If he grows another inch or two and if it is feasible for him to gain 20 pounds of muscle over the next few seasons I think he will be just fine. 6' 200 is a great playing wieght. Wicked fast and agile with enough body mass to take the hits.

Fingers crossed for Hunter getting some HGH cycles in lol :P

I think his wrist shot is real and NHL ready. He scored a couple pretty ones in the preseason against real NHL goaltenders (lundqvist). Yes he has a lot to learn yet, but I think he can be a legit top 6 forward in a couple years. How did Schroeder do in his first camp/pre-season?

I think his wrist shot is real and NHL ready. He scored a couple pretty ones in the preseason against real NHL goaltenders (lundqvist). Yes he has a lot to learn yet, but I think he can be a legit top 6 forward in a couple years. How did Schroeder do in his first camp/pre-season?

Shink has a deadly shot. Let's hope we can see him perfect it :D

I'm super excited to see this kid play, be it in the AHL or as a callup, who cares about the cockiness, snipers need that, (I hate to use this word), swagger, and he has it written all over him, the kid has a shot that can make goalies look like they are in slow motion, and when he does arrive, watch out Canucks Nation

Maybe Shinkaruk is a bit of a gamble, but I tend to think it was a good gamble. he has unreal skill set. He maybe short but he's not afraid to go to the dirty areas and work. IMO he turn out to be a Kane type player in the NHL or an AHL All Star. I'm thinking the former

Easy. Look at his stats from the year before he was drafted - 49g 42a 91p - and then look at his stats the year after, when players usually make a big jump in production due to being a year older/stronger/bigger/etc - 37g 49a 86p. He regressed. Most top picks accelerate their production, like Horvat did this year.

That's why he fell. Because it appeared as if he'd already topped out his potential.

So... He dropped because teams know his stats will regress the season after he was drafted??

Wtf?

And someone on page two actually think this is true..

Jesus fack cdc

So... He dropped because teams know his stats will regress the season after he was drafted??

Wtf?

And someone on page two actually think this is true..

Jesus fack cdc

What he mean was that Hunter had more point 2 years prior to draft than the year before the draft. Generally you are supposed to be improving your numbers as you age.

You don't score 49 goals in 66 games unless you have a lot of skill and his wrist shot is incredible. His shot reminds me a lot of P. Kanes if he hadn't of gotten injured he would of been a lock this year now time will tell.

Completely agree. But I think it's a good thing that he got that hip surgery. It had been nagging him for quite a while.

Archived