The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks considered holding onto Kesler

canuckbeliever

Interesting little Tidbit in Imac's newest column

Linden admitted Saturday there was a lively debate within the organization whether to play hardball with Kesler and tell him “see you at training camp” unless the 29-year-old centre with the NTC expanded his trade list beyond two teams.

“There certainly was that debate,” Linden said. “At the end of the day, I felt if we got the pieces we wanted that accomplished the goals that we had, we didn’t want to have a cloud hanging over us and drag this into other people. We have great people in that locker-room. We felt it would be very unfair to our coaching staff, our players and our fans to have this hang over us this summer.

“I thought it was really important for us to make these moves so we can go into July 1 and present a picture to (free agents) we want to talk to, like: ‘This is who we are, this is what we’ve done and this is the direction we’re going.’ It’s clear.”

Interesting.

That commotion would certainly not have been beneficial in the locker room heading into next season. Benning did the best he could with what he had. We need people here that actually want to play here.

I'm glad they didn't. Better to let him walk now for a pretty solid return then let him walk in two years for free. I for one am ready to have a hearty chuckle in two years when Kesler hasn't won a cup in Anaheim and walks from them too.

Archived